Rick

2014 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I think the two cars looked better with the slopes, and WHY did they remove the smaller wheels and replace them with the fat ones? I could see them doing it the other way around but... :cry_sad:

We might have to consider the fact that maybe the larger wheels and tyres are cheaper to make due to the fact of the number used.......the more you make, the cheaper it gets to make them.

According to Pick a Brick the smaller tires are cheaper, I don't know about the rims but it seems like they would be cheaper aswell.

According to Pick a Brick the smaller tires are cheaper, I don't know about the rims but it seems like they would be cheaper aswell.

It's not just about which part is cheaper, but also - judging by the parts selection of some sets - about the number of different parts in a set. I guess that may have played a role in the decision to change the black car's wheels.

It's not just about which part is cheaper, but also - judging by the parts selection of some sets - about the number of different parts in a set. I guess that may have played a role in the decision to change the black car's wheels.

Something else I just noticed now, is that the top layer looks like it has spaces for the wheels to fit with a gap inbetween. If the car used the smaller wheels it might fall through or not sit properly?

Something else I just noticed now, is that the top layer looks like it has spaces for the wheels to fit with a gap inbetween. If the car used the smaller wheels it might fall through or not sit properly?

Bingo !

I posted my impressions on the redesign the other day, that the cars will sit better on top with the larger wheel/tyre combo.

Bingo !

I posted my impressions on the redesign the other day, that the cars will sit better on top with the larger wheel/tyre combo.

May be they could adjust the trailer and maintain the wheels that look so much better but... :wacko:

May be they could adjust the trailer and maintain the wheels that look so much better but... :wacko:

That would raise the price of the set.....remember price point.

The car transporter was looking good but after the better pictures I am disliking the technic axle pieces being used to hold up the ramp. It just looks too simplified to me.

I have plenty of vehicles. At first I wanted to buy two or three (the car transporter, the camper and maybe the police van) but now I'm considering to make my own MOCs of the same vehicles. Maybe I'll buy only the big tow truck.

Edited by SalvoBrick

I have plenty of vehicles. At first I wanted to buy two or three (the car transporter, the camper and maybe the police van) but now I'm considering to make my own MOCs of the same vehicles. Maybe I'll buy only the big tow truck.

The big tow truck ia definitely the best out of this series.

The car hauler is good, but not necessarily as much like the car haulers I'm familiar with as I'd like. While it HAS been far too long since we've had one of any kind in a set, I'd probably like to try my hand at MOCing one, and since I don't really collect LEGO City sets anyway I don't feel compelled to get the set.

It's a lovely design of course. I've got no complaints there. I kind of wish it had the other style of wheels for the cars just because they're less plentiful and it'd be a great way to accumulate them, but I don't think the chunkier wheels and tires are too much of a liability.

Edited by Aanchir

The car transporter was looking good but after the better pictures I am disliking the technic axle pieces being used to hold up the ramp. It just looks too simplified to me.

I agree, but I was trying to figure out how one would make the trailer section without technic parts?

There is no way other than Technic parts to help support the upper decks of the car transporter........though I feel someone will try and prove me wrong.

I believe that you must first push both upper decks down so it acts as it's own loading ramp, put which cars you want on top then push them up/forward and them you can load the lower decks.

Yep, that's the way it works. For that to work you'll need some "flexible"/moveable parts that I also think only Technic can provide. Next question is if maybe there are other Technic parts that could provide the same movement while looking a little less "technic-y".

Here's a Youtube link to how a real one works:

I believe that there's s sliding mechanism on the Lego set that enables you to move the decks in pretty much the same way.

Edited by jfbat

I believe that there's s sliding mechanism on the Lego set that enables you to move the decks in pretty much the same way.

No, there isn't a sliding mechanism on there at all.....just technic pins, connectors, axles and modified plates to take technic pins....I still say the upper deck lowers and falls back for loading/unloading of that upper deck.

After closer inspection of the pictures I think you're right… shame that, not very realistic this way.

Pricepoint again, I guess.

After closer inspection of the pictures I think you're right… shame that, not very realistic this way.

Pricepoint again, I guess.

Bingo, price point is a problem, but they have to use some guide to produce sets. :wink:

We now wait for more images.....it's a long wait. :blush:

No, there isn't a sliding mechanism on there at all.....

Are you sure? Looks like ladders on the top deck which may slide depending on how they're mounted...

Cheers

Rog

Does anyone know what is going to be inside the Camper van? For some reason I get really exited about the camper vans and caravans interior. :laugh:

Are you sure? Looks like ladders on the top deck which may slide depending on how they're mounted...

Cheers

Rog

That part on top for the upper deck appears to be this.....

87913.jpg

Normally a ladder would slide along this and this bas acts as a base fixed to studs....so I high doubt it will slide itself.

I'm not sure about that. That piece woul grip "around" the bottom part of the ladder and I don't see that on the picture. Seems to me to be an ordinary 2x?? plate. Ladders will grip onto that too.

Finally pictures!!!

Thank you very much for the pictures and links! :classic:

Apart from the car transporter I really like all the vehicles. Which I hate at the car transporter is that 1. the hanger has only one axle and that 2. the upper decks can't be moved to the floor that the cars can drive from the base to the top. :thumbdown: The most I like the camper (huge, but sure with a nice interior, I hope), the airport fire truck (huge but great design) and the wood transpoter (cool that it comes with a crane). :wub: :wub: :wub:

I've got mixed feelings about the police sets. For judging the quality of the police station more pics are missing. The other sets are mixed. The boat transporter set is ugly and the police helicopter, too (both because of oversized vehicles). :thumbdown: But I really like that two small run-down buildings, the police car with the robbers on motorcycles and the prison transporter. :thumbup:

As for summer: I bet that we'll get a cargo train, a passenger train, a level crossing and a small train stop. What the exclusive City set in spring (like the Garage and the City Place) will be, is really hard to say - I hope either for a big train station, a cargo center or a mall (although I fear that the last one will more be released in the Friends theme). What do you think?

Klaus-Dieter