SteampunkDoc

MOC-WIP Pacific Rim Jaeger Cockpit

'Pacific Rim' Jaeger Cockpit-WIP

OK, I haven't seen Pacific Rim, and don't know about any objectionable content.

I just know that the Jaeger cockpits look stinkin' amazing and I wanted to build me one...So I did.

Well, am. It's still being worked on. This is just Mark I.

There's no back yet, I'd like to get smoother joints in the harnesses, and obviously the red pillars will be hidden later, but otherwise I think it's pretty neat.

I'm not necessarily going off one Jaeger design over another, but

is my main reference.

Comments/feedback are always highly desired, and feel free to ask about close-ups/other angles.

Not sure when the next update will be, but hopefully things will be more complete at that time.

Thanks for looking!

9295591445_491caba548_z.jpg

9295595419_e84f9a7706_z.jpg

9298370486_3760267b5e_z.jpg

9298372864_39568fefed_z.jpg

9298369054_c4152dc30f_z.jpg

9298374880_ef12ba6c05_z.jpg

Edited by SteampunkDoc

I saw it yesterday as well. That's a nice start for sure. The harness is looking really good. Just add some control panels at about head level and you'll be just about there.

It looks great! Definitely see the film, though. Not only will it help give texture to this piece, but it's just an awesome movie that I'm sure will inspire a lot of future MOCs. I love the mecha designs and wish the movie would do well enough to get a sequel, but that doesn't look too likely right now.

Great stuff! I echo the sentiment to see the film if you are interested in the source material enough to build this lovely MOC.

I have seen the film twice now, once in 3D, and bought the art book which is also very lovely.

Looks great so far! I was wondering how quickly Pacific Rim would inspire some really cool MOCs. I figure someone out there is working on a really cool MOC of Gipsy Danger/Crimson Typhoon/Striker Eureka/Cherno Alpha.

Whoa, and just when I had given up hope of it ever being noticed.... :cry_happy:

So, I've done a few updates, but most of the progress has been made in the planning stage.

For one, I've seen the movie, and loved it. (I reviewed it here.) So that really helped get this thing to a higher priority.

I've also decided to go with a Gipsy Danger look, but have ran into a bit of a snag. Clear cockpit pics are hard to come by for Gipsy, but while I found one, (

) it looks nothing like the tiny cockpit design in this picture. A design I had ran with up until now. So...if somebody could tell me, does the cockpit change between Gipsy 1.0 and the refurbished version? if so, I'll continue with this, if not, I dunno. Never mind, Found out it changes a lot. I think I'll continue on with my original design, but at the cost of true accuracy.

Thanks for the comments, and I'll try to get more pics up soon-ish!

Edited by SteampunkDoc

If you look at the video in your link at about the 0:44 mark in the frontal view as the chest turbine spins up, the head looks like the blueprint to me...

Apart from things like the cockpit and some scenes like the ShatterDome control room, I think everything in the movie is JUST TOO BIG to do at minifig scale. I mean an entire Jaeger would be 300 studs tall...

I keep having visions of an entire micro-scale ShatterDome base, but I know I'm not a good enough builder at this point to pull it off. Maybe someday after the DVD comes out (so I can look more closely) I will think about it some more.

I mean an entire Jaeger would be 300 studs tall...

How awesome would that be though?

I've seen the film twice now at the cinema, your moc looks great and would love to see it as a completed model!

It looks really, really good! Love the angles you chose to take pictures at.

'BUMP' :look:

Oh...Oops. Planned on updating this more often, sorry.

Anyway, I've nearly finished the thing, but can't post too many pictures at the moment.

For now, here's a little teaser to show just how far it's come.

9564382593_27633cbf6a_z.jpg

I'll try to finish it and then post pictures of the final thing tomorrow, and again, sorry for taking so long.

As for replies, thanks everybody for commenting on this!

Yes, most everything in the movie is WAY too big for minifigure scale, but not for mini-scale.

I hope to get a mini-Gypsy Danger together sometime in the future, but until then we'll have to wait on somebody else.

Animating on this will be a pain, but I'm thinking the outcome will be worth it. I'll be sure to post the results from that whenever they're done.

SteampunkDoc

Nice light effect !

Also, I calculated that a minifig-scaled Jaeger would be almost 2 meters (6,5 feet) high. Anyone to take the challenge ? :D

Edited by Leewan

Very rough calculation here but if a Jaeger is 250 feet tall. And a minifig is about one and a half inches tall. And if you say that the minifig represents a person roughly six feet tall, then a Lego Jaeger would be roughly five feet two inches tall. My maths is very wonky, but I'd say that sounds about right and in scale with some of the large skyscrapers I've seen at Lego convention displays.

I think though that probably downscaling to about three feet tall would still give the impression of massive scale while not being overwhelmingly huge.