Sign in to follow this  
Pvdb

Pneumatic Autovalve - non clicking

I have been looking for an autovalve/compressor - and found one or two - the best in my opinion (as it doesn't run the rist of ruining the motor) and most compact by Sariel quite a few years ago.

But it clicks - click click click click - and it is virtually impossible to return the valve to neutral.

Not sure if anyone else has done an upgrade so I wondered if I could improve on it.

Here is the result and it seems to work very well. It doesn't click, and it is possible to stop the valve at neutral. There is still the slight delay in the valve changing, but the delay is shorter than the time it takes to walk across the room to manually switch the valve :classic:

This model is a stand alone version with a bulky frame, it can be really compacted a lot - as I have just done in my next MOC.

auto_valve02_resize.jpg

auto_valve01_resize.jpg

I should mention that the top worm screw is on a fixed axle

Edited by Pvdb

The point is that the motor is never stalled as with some of the other designs. Thus you can run a compressor from the same motor, and you don't ruin the motor.

Edited by Pvdb

In that case Sariel's one is the best one for you,I don't think I have seen a better one that will power the switch and the compressor at the same time.

In that case Sariel's one is the best one for you,I don't think I have seen a better one that will power the switch and the compressor at the same time.

You perhaps didn't finish reading my post???

Edited by Pvdb

I will test it as soon as I can. It seems to be a very good idea ! Great job

If you build it then you need to make sure that the top worm screw is set to the correct orientation so that it meshes smoothly when the bottom screw slides accross to collect it. Perhaps this needs a photo - will do that tonight - otherwise just test all 4 possible orientations to find the best one :classic:

LDraw file is on Brickshelf

I like the design! :thumbup:

When I was looking at it, I thought it was not gonna work due to the 8t gear driving the valve. But I missed the last sentence:

I should mention that the top worm screw is on a fixed axle

Now I get it, and it may work indeed!

I will build it if that is ok with you :grin:

And it works..

The compressor is not strong enough to operate 2 cilinders in my setup. But using one works well!

Phone-vid (bad quality)

E1Mq3JZ.jpg?1

And it works..

The compressor is not strong enough to operate 2 cilinders in my setup. But using one works well!

In this mock-up model I just put the compressor on in the quickest easiest way possible, there is not much travel running it off the 24 tooth gear. If you set the compressor up using similar method to unimog then you will get more travel.

You are right.

I did try this set-up using 2 'old-style', the shorter compressors too. Alas to no avail.

I could try with a longer travel..

I believe I finally managed to build an autovalve that wont click, craches or skips gears ( or some other kind of mad stuff ). But I used a totally different approach. I will try to make a short video this weekend.

I think can build an even better version but this video shows the main concept of my auto valve:

The lever rotates but also slides from side to side.

I think can build an even better version but this video shows the main concept of my auto valve:

Very nice! any close up picks for how it works?

I also like your solution there, is there enough control so you can stop at neutral as with the one I made? (a feature of the switch movement being quite slow)

BUMP

I'd really like some pictures of the internal of that autovalve Jovel. That is by far the best design I've seen so far and I want it for my airplane to make less stress on the gears.

BUMP

I'd really like some pictures of the internal of that autovalve Jovel. That is by far the best design I've seen so far and I want it for my airplane to make less stress on the gears.

Same! Jovel,can you please take some pictures?

In the last few days I have seen at least three threads with many different autovalve designs all very interesting, with different strengths and weaknesses.

But even the more compact designs look bulky when several valves need to be automated and those side pegs don't help at all. I wish TLG made some PF friendly valve.

For my own purpose I need a 4-valve switch. One 8t gear can handle 2 valves easily but not 4 so I came up with this:

The model is basically mirrored in both the x, y and z axis.

Pink color indicates the steering for sliding so it won't make any funny slides.

Orange color on 3x0,5 liftarms means both sides are linked, hence the 16t gears as well.

4LAWT.png

4LB5P.png

Why don't you just place the four valves parallel and control it with a simple controller? Or control a single valve what you use to operate a small cylinder that turns the four main valves?