AlmightyArjen

My fully automated dream layout...

I've built a huge Lego train layout which is fully automated by microcontrollers, Arduino. The passenger trains 7740 and 7745 ride around and after a while they stop at the station. The freight trains 7755 and 7760 intersect with the track of the 7745. A section of the track of the freight trains can be powered down: if the 7745 passes the intersection, the 7755 and the 7760 will stop.

The trains use PWM signals to start and stop. For starting is actually needed: otherwise the locomotive will disconnect from the wagons and drive away by itself.

Video:

I've built it in my living room so unfortunately I have to tear it down again :(

very nice! I also use Arduino to automate my LEGO trains. But then Arduino + PF. Maybe we should drink coffee together some time and discuss it (I'm in the Zwolle or Nijmegen area)

awesome looks great. i feel your pain of having no semi-perm area for yourtrain layouts.

Wonderful layout! That Arduino system seems to work great, I too, am curious as to it's setup. Too bad this has to be dismantled :classic:

awesome looks great. i feel your pain of having no semi-perm area for yourtrain layouts.

Wonderful layout! That Arduino system seems to work great, I too, am curious as to it's setup. Too bad this has to be dismantled :classic:

I'll make an explanation video about it, there are more questions about it. I'll let you know. It's quite simple actually.

Very nice! Though why not just build some platforms for your furniture and leave the layout up all the time (grin).

This is great! Wll done. Too bad you´ll have to tear it down tho.. I`ve never tought about power up the 7745 with PF! Thanks! :)

Very nice! Though why not just build some platforms for your furniture and leave the layout up all the time (grin).

One reason: girlfriend :devil:

It is very nice, but the trains runs FAR FAR too fast for my taste. ;-) Looks like a slot-car race... ;-)

This is just great! Well done. How did you drive the PWM, with the high current needs of the motors? Using an H-Bridge driver, I'm assuming. And how did you do block detection to avoid collisions at the crossings?

Now all you need are some signals. :-)

--Rob

One reason: girlfriend :devil:

Hum... sounds like you need a gal more like this.

This is just great! Well done. How did you drive the PWM, with the high current needs of the motors? Using an H-Bridge driver, I'm assuming. And how did you do block detection to avoid collisions at the crossings?

Now all you need are some signals. :-)

--Rob

I could have sworn I saw signals in that layout, but yes, now that AA has gotten our interest, it would be neat to see some shots of the various details.

I used IRZ48 power MOSFET's to switch on/off the tracks. It works quite simple. These FET's are my favorite: the can deliver up to 50 amps so there's never a shortage of current :) I've used 4 Sharp distance measurements to locate the trains. There are also other questions in another forum: I'll make a "how it works video", probably this afternoon and you'll know all there's to know ;)

Edited by AlmightyArjen

Awesome layout, i really respect peeps who can do the whole power thing and make the trains stop and start, esp they way you have!!

I also spy some classic sets i always wanted as a kid, amazing overall set up! What a shame you had to tear it down! If it were me i'd have a train permanently in my living room :devil:

I'll make an explanation video about it, there are more questions about it. I'll let you know. It's quite simple actually.

Fantastic, looking forward to that. I no next to nothing about model RR's :classic:

One reason: girlfriend

I know they're great and all, but do we really NEED them? Damn emotions and stuff :tongue:

I prefer a wife that is also into LEGO,got the whole Lone Ranger range for my birthday last week ;)

Hope to get my layout up and running, I have different (but also proven) approach, Arjen and I hope to meet each other soon to exchange ideas and coffee IRL ;)

Thanks for sharing your secrets, very neat stuff. So what I thought were signals turned out to be the sensors. A plain layout of this size would be enough work to set up/tear down, adding in all of the wiring for controls I'm sure the time grows exponentially. Very nicely done. Oh, and I really like the opening shot in the new video, with the camera looking forward from one of the rear cars.