Built out of the wreckage of the Black Pearl (lost at sea under the helm of a neighbor's 4-year old), here is a model of a turn-of-the-(last)-century freighter. I had wanted to do a freighter in LEGO ever since seeing plans of a steam schooner in a magazine some time ago, but finally got around to it :) And besides, my daughter was running out of space inthe LEGO rowboats for all the gear to take along on an expedition, so this solved that problem, as well!

8930842528_6823e743c6_z.jpg

8930233263_5c3ef75946_z.jpg

It has operating hatches and a crane, for loading those really heavy items.

8930861180_e9efb9e21f.jpg

And a detailed interior....

It has operating hatches and a crane, for loading those really heavy items.

By the looks of the captain, I'd say the heavy crane is for makeup and shoes. :-) really nice boat thanks for sharing.

Very nice tramp steamer. Definitely would fit in with the African Queen and other such ships.

You all might find this rather odd, but I've actually seen such ships still plying their trade around Indonesia as recently as 2001...

Thanks for the comments! It was a fun build, and the kids seem to enjoy it.

Definitely would fit in with the African Queen and other such ships.

You all might find this rather odd, but I've actually seen such ships still plying their trade around Indonesia as recently as 2001...

The African Queen would be a neat boat to build, wouldn't it?

It's amazing the lifespan of these old steamers sometimes.....

Curtis

It was a fun build, and the kids seem to enjoy it.

Looks great! I can see this being a hit with any kid, given it has a crane and a cargo hold ... perfect for stashing whatever Lego pieces are the treasure of the day.

Thanks! The lights would probably look better with a 1x1 tile instead of a cheese slope on top, but that's what I had in that color....

Curtis

This looks like a lot of the smaller boats we have in the harbour where I live. When I was a kid I used to enjoy sitting on the harbourside watching them get unloaded straight onto the railway. Brings back old memories so even if it was not a great model (Which it is.) it would get my vote.