SheepEater

Kids in toy shops crack me up!

Do you enjoy it when kids are crying and begging their parents for Lego sets when you're browsing the Lego section?

They might be annoying to some but I find it hilarious. Especially when the parents look tired, annoyed and exhausted, having already spent most of the day shopping, and CLEARLY, going to the toy aisle is just a chore for them, while it's a hobby for me.

Boy: "Mommy! I want this one!"

Mom: "Would you BE QUIET! You already got one like this last christmas. Besides that one is too expensive."

Boy: "BUT MOM! IT'S GOT DARTH VADER IN IT!"

Mom: "Hush!"

His little sister, sitting in the shopping cart: "Naah naah nah-nah! Mommy, let's go to see the dolls!"

--- They go to the girls aisle ---

Girl: "I want this one!"

Boy: "Mom! If she can get that one why can't I get the Lego set I want!"

--- Mom acts exasperated ---

Someday I'm gonna prank one of these exhausted parents like this:

Boy: *points at 50$ set* "Mom! Can I have this one?"

Me: Nah, you don't want that one. *Fetches a big 110$ set* THAT one is wayy better - it's what I got my nephew, he won't stop playing with it!"

Boy: "Mom! I want that big set!"

Mom: "No! It's too expensive! Won't you quiet down?"

*The mom gives me an angry look and thinks to herself:" Thanks a lot *******, now he won't stop bugging me about that set for months.

I get as much fun going to the toy shop to see this scenario predictably repeat itself, as I do actually browsing the sets I want.

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue::devil: :devil: :devil:

Edited by SheepEater

The part I actually enjoy is when kids point out features of the set they want to their parents when trying to convince them; basically stuff along the lines of your Darth Vader example.

Kinda reminds me of when I was that young.

I posted the same topic in another message board that is completely unrelated to Lego or toys and it didn't go over very well. So,

my apologies if I come across as creepy - not my intention.

One of them made me chuckle with his reply, though.

----

Kid: Mom, I am tired of looking at the dolls, can I go check out the Legos

Mother: Not until your sister is done picking out a doll

Kid: But I am 8 years old and it’s right over there

Mother: You see that man over there in the black tee shirt? He’s a stranger, the kind of stranger that I warned you and your sister about. I am not letting you out of my sight

Kid: But Moooooom…..

Mother: No buts about it, I am not letting you out of my sight with that strange man wandering around over there.

----

:laugh:

Edited by SheepEater

You are evil, but in a good way. I might give it a try one day. Ooh, this is going to be fun!!!

Personally I love picking something out for myself in front of kids. Along the lines of:

"Hmm, I like that but I want it bigger. Maybe I'll get two!"

At toys r us 1 found one copy of 75014 battle of hoth at the back and these young kids went crazy when the saw it and we pretending too look at other sets but were amazed by it. They waited 20 mins until I decided to buy it.It really made me annoyed that all these kids were looking at the set.But it was the last one.

It came across as flaky to me, not so creepy. :pir-look:

I'm not sure I get it... flaky, as in an unreliable person? Unreliable people can't keep a job long enough to have the income to buy the quantity of Lego I do buy.

Personally I love picking something out for myself in front of kids. Along the lines of:

"Hmm, I like that but I want it bigger. Maybe I'll get two!"

That's pretty much what I did when I bought the entire Hobbit wave in one go. "Wow mister, you're buying lots of Legos!!" :devil:

At toys r us 1 found one copy of 75014 battle of hoth at the back and these young kids went crazy when the saw it and we pretending too look at other sets but were amazed by it. They waited 20 mins until I decided to buy it.It really made me annoyed that all these kids were looking at the set.But it was the last one.

Why would you be annoyed at kids (behaving like kids) in a toy shop? Toys primarily meant for kids :look:

Edited by SheepEater

It isn't much the parent-child conversations that I enjoy and laugh about. It's the conversations that I have with kids who think they know everything there is to know about Lego. This mostly happens while I'm going through the CMFs. Such conversations as "I wish there was an X-Wing Lego set. That would be cool." and then their constant "Oh it's the (insert CMF name)." I tolerate it, but man is it annoying! It's like kids who explain what they are doing on a handheld video game when you can't see.

I wouldn't say it cracks me up, but sometimes it does bring a smirk to my face since I am in the know about a lot of the sets and they aren't always and most of the parents are passive observers. Like in the above example, I was told that Mr. Gold is in the same package as another figure so if you find two, you found Mr. Gold. I just smiled and nodded, but in my head I was shaking my head slowly. Poor kids. I guess I could have corrected them, but their parents were right there and it does seem most parents act weird around other adults that are looking at LEGO without any kids around them. One mom was really nice and I helped them find the figure they were looking for, but most of the time they look at me weird. It probably has nothing to do with the red hair and bushy beard or 6'3" or anything...

I can understand parents being pissy while in the toy aisle because most of the time it doesn't interest them, so they have to wait while the kid looks at stuff and won't make up their mind. I watch my daughter (she's 3) while she walks through the toy aisles. Obviously I want to go to the LEGO aisle, but she wants to look at dolls or something. So I stand around waiting until I can slowly push her to the section I want to be in. But I can understand the frustration.

I do not often go to my local toy shop, but when I do, it is packed with annoying children, that grab every set, and then put it away on a different spot, so you have to grab a set, and then go on a quest to find the right price. I absolutely hate that. I sometimes go and point some really cool, and very expensive sets, to children that are extra annoying, so they are all about:"hey, that guy (me) is old (17) and still has Lego. I want that set, daddy, because that guy has it!" I do not often see mothers in the Lego aisle, but when I do, they have hundreds of bags and look tired. Most of the time I see dads with children, that are pussing there children to the Lego aisle. The dads like that more, I guess, because those kids are allways like:" I want to see the games! I do not want Lego (I do not understand that)!!"

I do not have children, and I do not get them, I guess, I do not have a gf, and I do not think I am going to get a gf.

for ever alone :cry_sad: .

Edited by jeroenaa

but their parents were right there and it does seem most parents act weird around other adults that are looking at LEGO without any kids around them. One mom was really nice and I helped them find the figure they were looking for, but most of the time they look at me weird. It probably has nothing to do with the red hair and bushy beard or 6'3" or anything...

Many of them look at me weird too. But then again, I also am pretty tall and intimidating for some (bald, 6'5", not skinny)

On the other hand I am quick to point out that I have been a Lego collector for a long time, and when I do they appreciate the advice (especially on where to get the discontinued sets, or where to get each set at the best price).

Well, maybe I should apologize for my post, but I had read yours in the morning and it kinda bugged me all day as, you see, I'm a harried parent myself and what you described doing wouldn't make my day.

Anyway...I'm not exactly sure what the definition of flaky is, but I imagine it's a little odd in a harmless sort of way and certainly much better than creepy! :sweet:

Joe

Well, maybe I should apologize for my post, but I had read yours in the morning and it kinda bugged me all day as, you see, I'm a harried parent myself and what you described doing wouldn't make my day.

Anyway...I'm not exactly sure what the definition of flaky is, but I imagine it's a little odd in a harmless sort of way and certainly much better than creepy! :sweet:

Joe

Ahh, no worries. I see where you're coming from, no need to apologize.

I posted an identical topic on a music related board (and I'm the only AFOL there) and let's just say it didn't go over very well, especially among parents. Many insults later, I expect to be banned in that forum in the following days. Ah, well.

Pointing the kids to the horribly expensive stuff is truly cruel to the poor parents, with little actual emotional reward for you. What works much better is to point the kids at something affordable, fun, and that makes lots and lots of noise. Preferably something that plays cloyingly annoying repetitive tracks over and over. This way everybody has fun.

Recently, on my hunts for Mr. Gold, I've been helping kids find the figures they want. I once felt a complete set for a kid at the LEGO Store! :grin:

Their parents are always nice, and say that I must be a "true master" at LEGO. But, some also jokingly say, "you're too old for LEGO!" That hurts me. :cry_sad::tongue:

Edited by just2good

A young boy and his dad were looking at the Lego section the other day and I overheard the dad say "Now remember, you've saved up $35 so that's what you can spend". The kid was debating over 2 small city sets (it's Australia, the Octan tanker is $30!) so I picked up the 9466 Monster Fighters set and told the dad "this one is on clearance for $36" and the kid's eyes lit up

"That's huge!! Dad, dad can I borrow a dollar?!"

"Sure you can"

"You're the best dad ever. I'll get mum to pay you back when we get home"

LOL

A young boy and his dad were looking at the Lego section the other day and I overheard the dad say "Now remember, you've saved up $35 so that's what you can spend". The kid was debating over 2 small city sets (it's Australia, the Octan tanker is $30!) so I picked up the 9466 Monster Fighters set and told the dad "this one is on clearance for $36" and the kid's eyes lit up

"That's huge!! Dad, dad can I borrow a dollar?!"

"Sure you can"

"You're the best dad ever. I'll get mum to pay you back when we get home"

LOL

nice killer reply from the kid :P