commanderneyo

Star Wars Rebels

I don't like it. His design looks so lazy, as if all Lucasfilm did was dig out an old concept design for The Son and slap a new name on him.

They should have just stuck with using Darth Vader.

The problem I am seeing is less that the only villain we have seen looks like a generic video game Sith clone that we have seen a hundred times in a hundred increasingly bad games. But rather they just committed the same horribly confining mistake that they made with TCW. Think about it. This is set 14 years after RotS. That means it has at best 2 years of timeline before the events of ANH. The good is we will probably see Leia as a main character. But the bad is the same as with the later seasons of TCW. There is a very finite termination point looming for the story. They didn't give themselves a lot of room to work with. TCW was starting to have an issue where they had more days shown in the show then there feasibly were for the war itself. Also at 2 years back this show isn't really a transitional point between the PT and OT. This is pretty much smack dab on top of the OT. And there is no way that doesn't start to get awkward.

I kind of expected some sort of typical Sith apprentice type guy, but this is the most generic design they could've come up with.

looks like they got inspiration from Star Wars The Old Republic, because the villain looks exactly like the Sith Warrior.

Edited by Savage Oppress

Think about it. This is set 14 years after RotS. That means it has at best 2 years of timeline before the events of ANH. The good is we will probably see Leia as a main character. But the bad is the same as with the later seasons of TCW. There is a very finite termination point looming for the story. They didn't give themselves a lot of room to work with. TCW was starting to have an issue where they had more days shown in the show then there feasibly were for the war itself. Also at 2 years back this show isn't really a transitional point between the PT and OT. This is pretty much smack dab on top of the OT. And there is no way that doesn't start to get awkward.

A few thoughts on this:

1) There's a 19 year gap between ROTS and ANH, giving Rebels 5 years of 'breathing room'. That's plenty of time to establish a unique, yet similar, aesthetic as the events of the series lead into the original trilogy. Except for the Force Unleashed games and a few Han Solo and Lando Calrissian novels, the time period just before A New Hope is completely free. Should give plenty of leeway for great stories.

2) How are we to know how many days were covered by the last few seasons of The Clone Wars? At the very least, we can assume that if the war lasted about 1,095 days (3 years), then the show's 112 episodes don't come close to filling it.

It should be noted that Filoni makes an excellent point in introducing the Inquisitor - as he said, as soon as Vader walks onto the scene, the viewers are going to flock to him. The Inquisitor can easily be used as Ventress was, a big villain who can afford to lose a few times in the grand scheme of things, whereas Vader should be pretty much unbeatable by 99% of the heroes in the series.

It should be noted that Filoni makes an excellent point in introducing the Inquisitor - as he said, as soon as Vader walks onto the scene, the viewers are going to flock to him. The Inquisitor can easily be used as Ventress was, a big villain who can afford to lose a few times in the grand scheme of things, whereas Vader should be pretty much unbeatable by 99% of the heroes in the series.

Alternatively he could portray the antagonists as not completely and totally incompetent this time around. :tongue:

I guess I'd rather have this guy around than have him do to Vader what he did to Grievous.

Edited by CallMePie

Damnit, Vader hunting Down jedi was the thing I was most looking forward to, and instead they give us what looks like a mix of the Son and Darth Maul :hmpf_bad: Oh well, hopefully he won't be as generic as he looks.

Alternatively he could portray the antagonists as not completely and totally incompetent this time around. :tongue:

So true :grin: Edited by Mr Breden

Frankly, they weren't aiming for British. They were aiming for a meld of Ewan McGregor and Alec Guiness, which they achieved spectacularly.

What they should have been aiming to do is replicate obi wan's voice which was not achieved at all, obi wan had a British accent all 6 movies so get a British actor :/ The clones accents were bad too clearly an American voice actor. I'm glad somebody else has brought it up because sometimes it's the reason I switch CW off

Groan. Why? Darth Vader is a damn good enough character to deserve screen time in this new series. I bet my house and entire collection of nice hats that this 'Inquisitor' will turn out to be a recycling of lame tropes - because every good spin-off serial NEEDS some brand-new poorly-written 'characters' that are obviously so important that everyone in-universe decides not to mention them again. At least they could have had the courtesy to us long-time fans by not making the new bloke look pretty much exactly like an unmasked Vader.

More Dark Rogue Jedi Acolyte Secret Sith Apprentices! Yay!

My sentiments exactly. It is irritating to see that they are continuing what they did in TCW by creating mediocre new villains based on concepts from the EU, even though it doesn't really make sense for them to exist within the movie canon. I understand why they did it, but I'm not liking it. At least they could have come up with a more original character design than that. And am I the only one who thinks it's silly that his lightsaber looks like the General Grievous Spinning Lightsaber toy? :hmpf_bad:

51bchfCSTGL.jpg

Oh well, as some people have said, lets hope he's not as generic as he looks.

I guess I'd rather have this guy around than have him do to Vader what he did to Grievous.

Yes, this is the only upside to this, that they can do whatever they want to this guy and it wont affect the characters from the movies. Plus since we don't know his fate, at least the episodes wont be as predictable as they would have been if Vader was the main villain, unlike in TCW whenever Dooku or Grievous was involved.

Tying into this wasn't it revealed that the Stormtroopers in this show are not Clones, but may have been trained by some of them? Show of hands... who thinks "how to accurately shoot a laser rifle" was not on the curriculum?

Yes, this is the only upside to this, that they can do whatever they want to this guy and it wont affect the characters from the movies. Plus since we don't know his fate, at least the episodes wont be as predictable as they would have been if Vader was the main villain, unlike in TCW whenever Dooku or Grievous was involved.

Very true. Although, if this series contains even one humiliating Darth Vader moment I will begin burning effigies of the series writers. Ruining classic cinema characters is not cool: :hmpf_bad:

Ruining classic cinema characters is not cool: :hmpf_bad:

flop-der-junge-anakin-10142.jpg

Agreed, that was one of the Things that made TCW boring sometimes. You always knew who was going survive :sceptic: Edited by Mr Breden

This series should definitely avoid any Mortis-like sorry arcs!!

I'm not keen on the inquisitor at the moment I think they should show the empire putting bounties out on all Jedi and known alliance members, that way we would see cool new bad guys and Boba Fett could show up again.

I'd also like to see the series veer away from the war and maybe show what obi wan was getting up to on tattooine or maybe where he was before settling there.

I'm not keen on the inquisitor at the moment I think they should show the empire putting bounties out on all Jedi and known alliance members, that way we would see cool new bad guys and Boba Fett could show up again.

Basically, I share this view. I would have preferred to see the empire playing dirty, that is, introduce all "mundane" means to get the remaining Jedi, like bounty hunters, smart and ambitious officers, and of course the sheer power of its military. I never understood Obi Wan's revelation in EP IV (Vader killed the Jedi) as "Vader killed them by means of an inferior Sith apprentice, the Inquisitor".

So Vader may have used all means to find the Jedi, and in this process, his inferiors may have failed quite often. But Vader may have wanted to kill them himself when they were located. I think that in distinguishing these two tasks, the introduction of medicore Sith apprentices could have been avoided.

Edited by Brickadeer

This series should definitely avoid any Mortis-like sorry arcs!!

I'd also like to see the series veer away from the war and maybe show what obi wan was getting up to on tattooine or maybe where he was before settling there.

You raise some good points. If they do include Boba, I wonder if they'll continue his story arc from TCW and show how he got his ship back and started wearing the green armor. In fact, I wonder if they will conclude any of the many open story arcs from TCW. Not that I want them to, considering those stories don't belong in the OT era, but it would still be nice to get some closure.

I never understood Obi Wan's revelation in EP IV (Vader killed the Jedi) as "Vader killed them by means of an inferior Sith apprentice, the Inquisitor".

Remember, what Obi-Wan says is always true -

. :grin: We may not have interpreted that line that way, but it could be interpreted that way. Filoni and his team have gotten pretty good at exploiting such continuity loopholes, for better or worse.

I still don't like it. The Inquisitor doesn't really fit into my concept of the time 5 years before ANH, and I think that at this point of time, the Jedi should all be dead for quite some time already. To me, it always felt that the last Jedi were killed a long time ago, rather than in the 5 years before ANH. Plus, I think if there are remaining Jedi fighting the Empire, it makes Yoda and Obi Wan look a bit look like cowards.

Plus, I think if there are remaining Jedi fighting the Empire, it makes Yoda and Obi Wan look a bit look like cowards.

And Han look like an idiot for not knowing about the Force.

For those of you who were hoping to see Darth Vader going around and hunting down the remaining Jedi Knights in this series, prepare to be disappointed. Meet the Inquisitor, the guy Vader apparently hired to do the Jedi hunting for him. :facepalm: More info here.

I have a bad feeling about this.

the-inquisitor-star-wars-rebels-sm.jpg

He looks more Silly than dangerous. A bit like Megamind. I like silly things, but I'm afraid this gonna be not funny.

I still don't like it. The Inquisitor doesn't really fit into my concept of the time 5 years before ANH, and I think that at this point of time, the Jedi should all be dead for quite some time already. To me, it always felt that the last Jedi were killed a long time ago, rather than in the 5 years before ANH. Plus, I think if there are remaining Jedi fighting the Empire, it makes Yoda and Obi Wan look a bit look like cowards.

Agreed. Remember Han talking about som hokey old religion from the past. It always left the feeling that the Jedi were something that only the oldest really remembered, and they had passed more into the realms of disbelief. Part of that might have been that there really were only a handful of Jedi. Maybe less than 100 total masters, knights and Padawans, at the time of the Clone Wars, and as a result they really were all but unseen by the general public. But still the original story left the feeling of a much greater degree of separation. And not just of Jedi, but of force users in general. Remember the Death Star Officers disdain and disbelief of Vader's abilities in Ep IV? Would that have been the case if Lightsaber wielding Sith inquisitors were still running around 5 years prior?