Siegfried

Which set should I buy?

I'd go with 8038. As Donut said, it's highly likely to be retired soon. It's also got the best minifig count for the money of any Star Wars set in production, I believe, and all but four of those minifigs are exclusive or hard to find. It's also an all-around excellent playset - all the play features work well, and it doesn't even look that much like a playset on first glance. The play features don't cause very many compromises in other parts of the design. Then there's the vehicles. 8098 has an AT-RT which, if you ask me, is pretty ugly. (though that might be just because I've built a ton of 'em myself) With 8038 you get two speeder bikes, plus an AT-ST and an Ewok glider that I think are much better than their predecessors. And if you're thinking about display, 8038 is the complete package. Location, protagonist vehicle (vehicles if you opt to have Chewie pilot the AT-ST), antagonist vehicles, and plenty of minifigs.

Edited by Brickdoctor

Even though I don't like SW, I would also agree to go with Battle of Endor mainly because it'll be discontinued sooner.

I'd go with Battle of Endor for sure, in the US the set is listed as sold out from Shop At Home and ToysR'US online, and it is also marked up from amazon 3rd party sellers, so it is most likely out of production and European resellers are simply selling their inventory. I would guess it will be gone for good very soon and it will get very expensive second hand based on the selection of minifigures and the design of the set.

Echoing what others said. Battle of Endor all the way. The set was a blast to put together and had plenty of great pieces/minifigures. For those that play with it, it has alot going for it.

I have both sets, and I would have to go with BoE, especially with the new ewok set coming out, and if you can make 3-4 tree sub models from your own collection it looks SOOO good on display!

My question

Ewok Attack

-new Ewoks

-tree pieces

Sith Speeder

-Savage

-Anakin Torso

-nice bley slopes

Genosian fighter

-Genosian, Ki-adi-Mundi

-Nice slopes

-Nice looking ship IMO

I think you just answered your own question there. The Ewok Attack set should complement 8038 well. Second choice for me would be the Geonosian Nantex, as from what I've seen I don't really like the Nightspeeder.

I think you just answered your own question there. The Ewok Attack set should complement 8038 well. Second choice for me would be the Geonosian Nantex, as from what I've seen I don't really like the Nightspeeder.

I guess, but I don't know if the set will do it for me as a building experience. I think I'll rule out the sith speeder though.

Thanks for all the advise everyone, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for the BoE now, since it might be hard to get in 2-3 months. Hopefully by then the CTT will still/again be readily available for 100 instead of it's 130-140 retail price.

@sok117

It's a tough one, Ewok attack's model looks very poor, whilst the Geonosian fighter looks pretty good. Figures on both look excellent (Ewoks look slightly better but that's a preference) However Geonosian fighter is blatantly over-priced, so I'd say go with the Ewok Attack.

So for Sok117 I would get the Star Fighter, really only because I really like it, but the Ewok attack would look really good with the BoE,

Roger Rabbit I would get the Grand Emporium. Just for those lovely dark green parts. :grin:

I have already purchased the shuttle adventure and now they are coming up with shuttle expedition.

Should I get both?

My shuttle adventure is updated with service pack from LEGO which makes the build more stable.

Edited by LEGO AFOL

I would say no. Since you have the service pack I would think that the only parts that come in the Shuttle Adventure that don't come in the Shuttle Expedition set would be the hair, and the different heads. I seem to recall that both the hair pieces and the heads were fairly common.

Also planning on taking advantage of the TRU BOGO... so the question obviously is which sets??? I'm looking at a ceiling of about $120 USD, so I have some options (all prices USD, please). Do I go with:

1. The Harbour and the Mill Raid for $125??
  2. The Harbour and the Marina for $115?
  3. The Mill Raid and the Marina for $95, with some cash left over for the Blacksmith Attack and Powerboat, etc?
  4. The Mill Raid and the POTC London Escape for the same price above?
  5. The Marina and the POTC London Escape for $75, with enough left over for Ewok Attack and the Fishing Boat?
  6. The Marina and the Lighthouse for $70, with enough left over for smaller purchases...?

Not sure... I am leaning heavily towards the City sets b/c I've just dedicated myself the last 2yrs to building up a layout for my son and I to enjoy together as he gets older, but at the same time that Mill Raid is mighty tempting.... HELP!

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

Yikes. That ToysRUs sale is very tempting. Buy one, get one half off AND get a free Lighthouse? *sigh* I really do TRY to control my shopping...

The price of both sets is almost the same so it's not really a factor for comparison.

Stegoceras, I say go for the Battle of Endor because it has the shorter shelf life. This set has been out since 2009 and is on its way out. In most cases, buy the set that is going out of production soon to avoid overpaying MSRP on the secondary market.

The Battle of Endor may already be gone, you waited too long my friend. If you have a questions of two sets, always buy the one that is closest to end of life.

Grand Emporium or Fire Brigade??

The FB is a better build, and will be discontinued sooner. The GE has a nice piece selection though.

The Battle of Endor may already be gone, you waited too long my friend. If you have a questions of two sets, always buy the one that is closest to end of life.

Hehe, my post was a response to Stegoceras's question (:laugh:) as the BoE is still available in his country. Oh and I agree with your buying philosophy :thumbup:.

The price of both sets is almost the same so it's not really a factor for comparison.

Stegoceras, I say go for the Battle of Endor because it has the shorter shelf life. This set has been out since 2009 and is on its way out. In most cases, buy the set that is going out of production soon to avoid overpaying MSRP on the secondary market.

Yeah, but he did say it's normally 120 that's why I said go with the CTT, save a little money.

Yeah, but he did say it's normally 120 that's why I said go with the CTT, save a little money.

Right but in the long run, if he still wants BoE and it is sold out in the primary market, he'll have to pay much more in the secondary market. The amount of money he saved on buying the CTT will be nominal in comparison.

Also planning on taking advantage of the TRU BOGO... so the question obviously is which sets??? I'm looking at a ceiling of about $120 USD, so I have some options (all prices USD, please). Do I go with:

1. The Harbour and the Mill Raid for $125??
  2. The Harbour and the Marina for $115?
  3. The Mill Raid and the Marina for $95, with some cash left over for the Blacksmith Attack and Powerboat, etc?
  4. The Mill Raid and the POTC London Escape for the same price above?
  5. The Marina and the POTC London Escape for $75, with enough left over for Ewok Attack and the Fishing Boat?
  6. The Marina and the Lighthouse for $70, with enough left over for smaller purchases...?

Not sure... I am leaning heavily towards the City sets b/c I've just dedicated myself the last 2yrs to building up a layout for my son and I to enjoy together as he gets older, but at the same time that Mill Raid is mighty tempting.... HELP!

I'm thinking about getting the Lighthouse and King's Carriage Ambush, since both are $40 at TRU. But from your list, I might go for the Marina and Mill Raid because both of those look like fun sets. I'm not even really a City fan, but I'm tempted to get a Marina.

The only of those sets I have is the London Escape. It was an average set, maybe a little disappointing given the price. I would suggest one of your other match-ups.

I would say no aswell, you can better use the money for a new set. And just bricklink the new parts, and you can update the shuttle. It'll save you some money.

So for Sok117 I would get the Star Fighter, really only because I really like it, but the Ewok attack would look really good with the BoE,

I feel the exact same way as you, I guess I'll just get them both :blush:

To add onto Zeya's comment, if you're interested in POTC, buy them from Target. They are running a similar promotion as TRU and their prices are not above MSRP.

Amazon still has 10213 shuttle set at regular price. Do I get them and get the service pack to fix the faulty tank construction, or wait for 10231 when it's available?Piece counts seems very close with the older one having slightly more after service pack comes in.