Siegfried

Which set should I buy?

Thank you! Those were pretty good point!

I currently have one UCS set, Slave 1. I'd like to get a couple more to go along with it, but I don't mind if it's retired. Which ones should I get that fit well with Slave 1?

I currently have one UCS set, Slave 1. I'd like to get a couple more to go along with it, but I don't mind if it's retired. Which ones should I get that fit well with Slave 1?

The millennium falcon could work pretty nicely! You could set up a scene where slave 1 is chasing them.

Hello everyone,

This is my fist post on the forum so sorry if it is in the wrong place. I am a 30 year old guy who is trying to get back into legos after a gap of 20 years. I am looking to buy a couple of lego sets just to start off again but the choices are a little overwhelming. I am looking to buy one small set just to test the waters as cheaply as I can and then one larger more complicated set for around $100. I am interested in either technic sets or fantasy/history type sets. Would appreciate some suggestions!

Hello everyone,

This is my fist post on the forum so sorry if it is in the wrong place. I am a 30 year old guy who is trying to get back into legos after a gap of 20 years. I am looking to buy a couple of lego sets just to start off again but the choices are a little overwhelming. I am looking to buy one small set just to test the waters as cheaply as I can and then one larger more complicated set for around $100. I am interested in either technic sets or fantasy/history type sets. Would appreciate some suggestions!

For difficulty the Technic set is the best option, as for fantasy and historic themes, a used set of BrickLink would be the only option to get something for under $100. I assume that is in USD?

On another note, does anyone know which set has the old one piece soccer base? It is essentially a standard base plate with soccer pitch printing.

Edited by BrickCurve

Hello helibg!

its a tricky question! If you start with literally zero bricks, you might look into getting some smaller sets - maybe starter sets - to get the feel back. That's what I did, till I got hold on my old Lego from my parents place and added up my bricks from there. So maybe after some starter/midsize sets, a visit to bricklink or ebay would do well to get some brick quantity.

If you're starting back from zero, I'd get one of the 3 in 1 creator sets, or a 2 in 1 technic. Doesn't really fit with your preferred themes but you'd get the most value that way.

I have about $350 in credit from S@H. Should I get:

Big Ben and a couple of smaller sets

OR

Palace Cinema, Detective's Office and one smaller set

Big Ben would be built but disassembled pretty soon after for parts for a MOC I'm planning out, the modulars would be used to expand and add height to my existing modulars and for spare parts. I am starting to lean more and more towards MOCing but I am by no means able to even come close to the level of the official modulars...

Hello everyone,

Also, some of the older sets have more challenging instructions than the newer ones, leaving more to you to work out some of the steps.

Also, some of the older sets have more challenging instructions than the newer ones, leaving more to you to work out some of the steps.

If you're starting back from zero, I'd get one of the 3 in 1 creator sets, or a 2 in 1 technic. Doesn't really fit with your preferred themes but you'd get the most value that way.

I have about $350 in credit from S@H. Should I get:

Big Ben and a couple of smaller sets

OR

Palace Cinema, Detective's Office and one smaller set

Big Ben would be built but disassembled pretty soon after for parts for a MOC I'm planning out, the modulars would be used to expand and add height to my existing modulars and for spare parts. I am starting to lean more and more towards MOCing but I am by no means able to even come close to the level of the official modulars...

Hello helibg!

its a tricky question! If you start with literally zero bricks, you might look into getting some smaller sets - maybe starter sets - to get the feel back. That's what I did, till I got hold on my old Lego from my parents place and added up my bricks from there. So maybe after some starter/midsize sets, a visit to bricklink or ebay would do well to get some brick quantity.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes my budget is in USD and I wont mind buying used sets. I like building stuff so I would love something challenging and complicated which is why I was looking at technic. Any specific recommendations for technic sets around $100 would be great.

As for the fantasy themed sets I am a big lotr fan so I was looking at some lotr themed sets but the larger sets are a bit beyond my budget.

Now I have saved $30 and I want to buy a set from among the list below. Which set is the best among the bunch?

76047 Black Panther Pursuit

75145 Eclipse Fighter

75874 Chevrolet Camaro Drag Race

76045 Kryptonite Interception

71316 Umarak The Destroyer

Kryptonite interception for sure, the sub model is nice if you mod out the explode function and the Batmobile itself is very well designed and far easier to intergrad into your collection the a fighter jet (cough black panther)

Now I have saved $30 and I want to buy a set from among the list below. Which set is the best among the bunch?

76047 Black Panther Pursuit

75145 Eclipse Fighter

75874 Chevrolet Camaro Drag Race

76045 Kryptonite Interception

71316 Umarak The Destroyer

I would get the Black Panther set. It's currently the only set with Black Panther, and Cap is a nice figure. The jet has a very nice color scheme and design, it looks nice next to the other Civil War sets. The Batman set is the worst of the bunch here, in my opinion, because Batman is in pretty much every set and the Batmobile is generic and poorly designed.

The Lego Batman movie is also coming out soon and I expect several good sets with him in it next year that are better than Kryptonite Interception.

Side note: You should be able to find Umarak for about half of his retail price fairly soon because Lego is intent on removing Bionicle from the shelves.

Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum (76060) or Tanker Truck Takedown (76067). Both are $30 and each appear to be in high demand.

Will probably end up getting both but which should I get first?

Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum (76060) or Tanker Truck Takedown (76067). Both are $30 and each appear to be in high demand.

Will probably end up getting both but which should I get first?

I went with Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum. Tanker Truck Showdown is really only for the minifigures, Spiderman and Hawkeye are great, but the tanker truck is just meh. Doctor Strange's Sanctum Santorum not only has great minifigures, but an amazing build.

Cool thx for the feedback...that portal beast gear function in the sanctum sanctorum looks awesome. looking forward to the build. would love to get my hands on that MCU spider man minifig at some point though

So I'm trying to pick up sets that I've missed out on before they disappear. I've done a pretty good job damaging my wallet and cleaning up most of the older stuff, but I've got a few decisions to make regarding sets close to going OOP and new sets coming out.

• Slave I
  • Simpsons House
  • Brick Bank
  • Parisian Restaurant
  • Detective's Office
  • Brick Bank
  • Cinema
  • Mini Cooper
  • Shield Helicarrier
  • Ghostbusters HQ

I'm trying to purchase those in the order which they are most likely to go OOP. I need to grab the Disney Castle when it comes out, but not immediately as it should be around for a while. Same can be said for Big Ben (I grabbed Opera House and Tower Bridge instead because Big Ben should have at least a year).

Any thoughts on the optimal purchase order of the above stuff?

So I'm trying to pick up sets that I've missed out on before they disappear. I've done a pretty good job damaging my wallet and cleaning up most of the older stuff, but I've got a few decisions to make regarding sets close to going OOP and new sets coming out.

• Slave I
  • Simpsons House
  • Brick Bank
  • Parisian Restaurant
  • Detective's Office
  • Brick Bank
  • Cinema
  • Mini Cooper
  • Shield Helicarrier
  • Ghostbusters HQ

I'm trying to purchase those in the order which they are most likely to go OOP. I need to grab the Disney Castle when it comes out, but not immediately as it should be around for a while. Same can be said for Big Ben (I grabbed Opera House and Tower Bridge instead because Big Ben should have at least a year).

Any thoughts on the optimal purchase order of the above stuff?

Wow those are all pretty expensive so I assume you've got a lot of cash or points ready...anyway I chose the UCS Slave I over the UCS TIe Fighter (ended up getting that later) and I have to say it's really impressive. Looks great on display, has pop out weapon functions (most UCS sets have no play functions), and a perfect Boba Fett minifig. It's far better than any previous minifig scale slave I models. I also have 2/4 of the modulars on your list (Palace Cinema and Parisian restaurant). The cinema was the first modular I got and it's pretty nice and has some interesting pieces (red baseplate !). The restaurant is definitely smaller but the shape and build is very unusual. I won a mini cooper in a raffle a while ago and it's rather small but very detailed. So that's my take on some of these items on your list.

as for purchase order, I would grab the palace cinema first since it's the oldest on the list (came out May 2013). Then maybe go for the UCS slave I since star wars sets are discontinued rather quickly nowadays. I tried looking for a UCS Red FIve X Wing a few months ago and couldn't get one so don't make the same mistake. The parisian restaurant could also be gone soon but for the rest I thik you've got a little time before they start going oop.

Edited by jmc0208

Grr...just when I think I have my mind set, I lean the other way. Limiting myslwf to roughly $100...deciding between 76057 Ultimate Bridge Battle or a lot of 60134 Fun in the Park, 60117 Van & Caravan, 76053 Gotham City Chase, & 76067 Truck Takedown. I'm mostly leaning towards 76057, simply because it'll be easier to chip away at the others. But, saying no to 60134 is getting harder & harder to do.

I'd get the new lego technic tractor, it's a really good set and is also full of innovate mechanisms.

Hello Action/Ninjago friends,

As i don't have much experience on this theme, i would like to ask you what would it be more suitable for an AFOL aspiring MOCer, the set

70734-1.jpg?201505261128

or 70594?

70594-1.jpg?201605201119

I mean everybody is praising "Master Wu Dragon" with its clever building techniques and interesting pieces but i also find "The Lighthouse Siege" pretty interesting too with its many pieces (hose, string with handles, light brick etc) and wider array of minifigs (although evil pirates are nearly identical and the small robot isn't really a minifig per se). Of course price is different, but not vastly, so either would make a solid choice. What would you chose and if possible why? Eagerly waiting!

Thanks beforehand!!

Probably depends on what exactly you are looking for, to be honest. I'd recommend Master Wu Dragon right now, simply because it's a lower price to begin with and as an older set it's easier to find it considerably marked down. At least, that's how it is in the United States. I have no idea whether the same is true for stores or online shops in Greece.

From a design standpoint, The Lighthouse Siege has a lot more play features than Master Wu Dragon. The dragon has a couple shooters in the tea farm fence and the possessed kiosk, but The Lighthouse Siege is packed with traps, stud shooters, a rail for ninja to slide down, and of course a light brick. This can be a plus or a minus depending on your perspective. Master Wu Dragon is still very playable but more in the sense of being able to fly it around or put it in different poses.

In terms of bricks, Master Wu Dragon's parts are more suited to building organic-looking creations, like animals or mecha. The Lighthouse Siege has more bricks that would be useful for buildings and landscaping. Of course, some of the rare and useful parts in both sets are generic ones that could be used for all kinds of different models.

The figures in Master Wu Dragon are more generic, while those in The Lighthouse Siege are more eclectic. The Master Wu Dragon has four ghosts plus a black-robed ninja, a sensei, and a dog, while the the Lighthouse Siege has red and blue ninjas, two human sky pirates, a Serpentine sky pirate, a djinn sky pirate, and two clockwork robots. Generally I would say that The Lighthouse Siege would have the most appeal for fans of the Ninjago TV series, since it gives context to the set's characters and accessories, while the Master Wu Dragon's minifigures are a little more conventional. But this also means that The Lighthouse Siege has more unique contents to offer.

Overall, I think either set could be a good buy. But Master Wu Dragon might be a better buy now, since it's a year old, whereas if you prefer to get The Lighthouse Siege, there is no particular advantage to getting it sooner rather than later.

I would've lighthouse siege 70594. This is simply because its an awesome playset

Lighthouse Siege:

+ Fanservice

+ Better for display

+ More natural brick selection

+/- Tons and tons of features

- Backside is a little disappointing

____

Master Wu Dragon:

+ Oriental styled dragon, unlike others.

+ Very unique parts selection

+ Perfect price for part ratio

+ Cute dog

- I can't really think of any cons

I would personally get the Wu Dragon, because I have no aeroblades and I like the ghost figures. But the build could be the determining factor for you, unlike me, where I want accessories and figures (I have sets from both anyway, so i'm not as concerned).

Edited by gamejutzu

Upcoming birthday and have been asked what I want.

I am down to the following.

Lighthouse Siege and Ultra Stealth Raider

or

Lighthouse Siege and Final Flight of Destiny's Bounty

Which would you pick?

I would go with the second option. Your choice boils down to the Ultra Stealth Raider vs the DB, and the DB is a much better set. It looks better, it has more detail, more figures, more play value, everything. It even comes with a small army of ghosts and a full-size dragon.

Hope that helped. :classic: