sam89

10183 Hobby Train set

Wow. Did anyone notice the green electric locomotive on the screen? Is that what we can expect in mach along with the new version of Lego Factory?

The wait is killing me I tell you!

hm... not really sure what to think of this set. it seems to me you get 1000 parts to build only one particular model at any given time. you're gonne have to dismantle your model if you want to build a different model.

so in the end you get a model of average quality and a pile of bricks you can't use for this particlar model but you need for the alternative models, models most real train fans will never build.

my guess is that most train fans would have prefered a single engine of a high quality for 40-50 euro....

This set was already out on the shelves at the Bluewater Lego Store when I visited last Wednesday. They had it priced at

And you want to start saving for 2008 now too!! I have heard from sources that 2008 line up is really nice, they think better than 2007 even. SO SAVE UP BIG TIME! No details at all, just a general feeling they had that it was a really good lineup.

Where did you here that? Have you got some freind that works for lego or something? :-D

Don't tease me with news like that, it's bad enough with all the great sets this year! :-P

This set looks okay, i have a freind that may really want this.

cool set for train fans but i have other sets i would prefer to buy!

(still trying to get my dad to buy me the millenium falcon!) :-D

Wow. Did anyone notice the green electric locomotive on the screen? Is that what we can expect in mach along with the new version of Lego Factory?

The wait is killing me I tell you!

That's a model from the LEGO Factory Hobby Trains (it says on the slide), the "train section" of the LEGO factory. Already online for some time...

So, no, you still have to wait for the secret set to be revealed ;-)

hm... not really sure what to think of this set. it seems to me you get 1000 parts to build only one particular model at any given time. you're gonne have to dismantle your model if you want to build a different model.

That's what I gather, too. But you should have enough bricks left to at least moc something with your own stash...

so in the end you get a model of average quality and a pile of bricks you can't use for this particlar model but you need for the alternative models, models most real train fans will never build.

Those are fan designed, among them some "big names in the business". And it's marked 16+, so I don't think the models are average or that train fans wouldn't build them.

my guess is that most train fans would have prefered a single engine of a high quality for 40-50 euro....

Of course, but there's still hope for the secret set ;-)

the most interesting thing to me is the "built by fans" part... LEGO is hiring fans now ??? that should have us real excited. i want to apply ;-)

- BrickMiner

The Blacksmith set was a "built by fans" set. I think that Lego will utilize the Train Factory to find these and perhaps choose among the better sets to design. This set looks awesome. But I would have also been just as happy to see the the old red crocodile engine return at half the price.

On a side note BM, I know that you're a Western fan, but do you own many or at least a few train sets as well? For me, trains and WW go hand-in-hand. How's your train station coming along? I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

you know, i've been thinking more about this set... and thought about it quite a bit before going to bed last night... and came to the same conclusion.

this set is more in the vein of the "basic" sets of the 90's... very very low in conceptual design. but high in buildability.

it's interesting to think about these two options for a LEGO sets... do they inspire creativity more, or less. personally, i get inspired to expanded a very conceptualized theme, like the WW or (recently) aquaraiders (both themes are very high conceptualized themes).

however, i could see this type of set going "back-to-the-basics" of LEGO per se. were you are just building things you see in life, like mimic/model building. maybe this is what train fans want :-/

but for me (going back to my original post) i'll have to see what pieces are included in the set. because for me, this is just a parts pack for other themes/sets/MOCs. however, it seems to me, these are pretty basic elements, so i could probably just get them off of BrickLink... the elements may even be basic enough to get them from (gasp :'-( ) www.LEGO.com PaB.

--------------------------------------------------

On a side note BM, I know that you're a Western fan, but do you own many or at least a few train sets as well? For me, trains and WW go hand-in-hand. How's your train station coming along? I'm really looking forward to seeing it.
yes, train and WW are a great mix, yet browsing through Brickshelf i see few MOCs in this genre... most common is the 4534 or 4535 engine (non-modified) in WW settings.

for me, trains is one of the factors that enticed me to leave a life of full LEGO pirate fandom and hop over to WW... yet only since november of last year have i started to put my own 9V system together. for starters i got the 4534 LEGO express kit, then expanded with track from www.LEGO.com (cheapest place for old gray ;-) ).

and my next MOC LEGOREDO STATION is coming along very well... it's nearly done, except im trying to configure a freight crane for lifting logs from the wagon to the station. and it's just not coming easy |-/ no designs are working out, and i can't find many similar MOCs on Brickshelf to get me off the ground.

- BrickMiner

ILTCO has received some images of the new 10183 LEGO Hobby Train.

http://www.iltco.org/gallery/view_album.ph...bumName=album47

If you are not familiar with the LEGO Hobby Train (aka UTB), you can read some background information in this thread:

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=28050&t=f&v=a

The first public announcement of the 10183 LEGO Hobby Train appears on Page 17 of Brick Journal #6. Excerpted from Brick Journal:

1. The trains have been designed by 10 Hobby Train enthusiasts from around the world

2. The box contains 1080 elements and the age mark is 16+

3. It is an advanced building set

4. 30 building instructions will be available for this set for 30 different inspirational train models (one set of instructions will be printed and included in the box and the 29 other instructions will be available online). They can build an indefinite number of trains with the amount of bricks available in the box

5. The retail price is 99.99 USD

6. The launch date is March 19, and you

thanks for the links... *sweet*

so there's no engine in the set and the other parts look like a basic inventory of the Lego factory. still think you're better of getting the parts you need on bl...

however, I wonder what they're going to do with the "factory" element on the box. Is it the first set of a new line of "Factory sets" or just one set to promote the Factory? |-/

so there's no engine in the set and the other parts look like a basic inventory of the Lego factory. still think you're better of getting the parts you need on bl...

Not sure what you mean by 'engine' but if you mean a 9V train motor there is one clearly in the main model on the box. It would be awfully bad of LEGO to show a model with the motor and then not include it in the set...

I really like the set. I probably won't get it, as I really have no need of it (I only own 10001) but it's good to see that LEGO will be continuing 9V for some time. As for building multiple models, there's an steam engine and caboose on the box, each primarily a different color and neither of which looks to be close to 1000 pieces, so it would seem you should be able to build both at the same time.

Not sure what you mean by 'engine' but if you mean a 9V train motor there is one clearly in the main model on the box. It would be awfully bad of LEGO to show a model with the motor and then not include it in the set...

I really like the set. I probably won't get it, as I really have no need of it (I only own 10001) but it's good to see that LEGO will be continuing 9V for some time. As for building multiple models, there's an steam engine and caboose on the box, each primarily a different color and neither of which looks to be close to 1000 pieces, so it would seem you should be able to build both at the same time.

well if there's a motor, wouldn't that be in the invertory list at the side of the box?

well if there's a motor, wouldn't that be in the invertory list at the side of the box?

Well, I haven't seen a good shot of the inventory, but if there's no motor, then you're right, it's not a great set. The price/piece ratio is close to historical LEGO sets but recent sets with an abundance of generic parts (787, Maersk Sealand, etc) will blow this set out of the water. Granted, there's 30 instructions, but 29 of those are likely going to be offered to everyone online, so I see even less incentive to get the set now.

Well, I haven't seen a good shot of the inventory, but if there's no motor, then you're right, it's not a great set. The price/piece ratio is close to historical LEGO sets but recent sets with an abundance of generic parts (787, Maersk Sealand, etc) will blow this set out of the water. Granted, there's 30 instructions, but 29 of those are likely going to be offered to everyone online, so I see even less incentive to get the set now.

Here is a picture of the inventory:

http://www.iltco.org/gallery/view_photo.ph...=10183_Elements

I can confirm the set does not include a 9v Train motor.

Mike

That sucks... big time...

I am curious to why you feel it "sucks"?

• 10020 had 436 elements and cost $40. It did not include a motor.
  • 10133 had 407 elements and cost $40. It did not include a motor.
  • 10170 had 366 elements and cost $40. It did not include a motor.

10183 has slightly more than 2.5x the parts of 10020, 10133 or 10070 (which was not a locomotive) and costs 2.5x more. Seems to me the price point and content is pretty consistent with the last three LEGO Train releases (not counting the RC trains). In fact, there are enough train components in 10183 to fully outfit 3 wagon plates with wheels, buffers, and bogies and you get a bunch of airplane windows with glass, train windows with glass, 4 sliding box car doors, and 2 pair of red train doors. So the train specific content of this compare very favorably previous sets.

Mike

With the inventory, it seems that you can build 2 models...

l will wait to see the online instructions to see if I will buy it or not. If there is just one train that I find very good, a classic factory comand will be cheaper, and with the money I will save, I will buy a motor. But just maybe for now...

• 10020 had 436 elements and cost $40. It did not include a motor.
  • 10133 had 407 elements and cost $40. It did not include a motor.
  • 10170 had 366 elements and cost $40. It did not include a motor.

10183 has slightly more than 2.5x the parts of 10020, 10133 or 10070 (which was not a locomotive) and costs 2.5x more. Seems to me the price point and content is pretty consistent with the last three LEGO Train releases (not counting the RC trains). In fact, there are enough train components in 10183 to fully outfit 3 wagon plates with wheels, buffers, and bogies and you get a bunch of airplane windows with glass, train windows with glass, 4 sliding box car doors, and 2 pair of red train doors. So the train specific content of this compare very favorably previous sets.

Mike

well the sets you're mentioning are so good you can easily use them as display sets, as I do, but this set, which also doesn't seem to have minifigs, btw, is not nearly good enough... so it's not really a question of parts/price, it's more a question of you buying a fairly large set for trains and still having one motor short...

Those sets are a result of the Ambassador Program which isn't really a secret anymore ;-)

Help someone. I have a MSNtv2 web browser and can't download a pdf file...I have to reset the machine everytime I try. Is this a 9-volt kit??? Does it include an engine? Could I please have a short summary of what's included.

Thank you in advance

Larry Marak, post computer generation.

The idea behind the set is great, but from what I've seen from those pics, the models seem a little too basic. Am I the only one who thinks so?

I'll wait until we get some larger pics to make a final judgement, but they don't look nearly as detailed as the Super Chief or BNSF.

one thing im not feeling about this set is that there are no gimic pieces. as snefroe said no minifigs... but more importantly nothing unique.

i can get (or already have) most of the elements in the inventory. it seems to me, i'd be buying my collection twice.

id rather have some new (or at least exciting/rarer) elements...

i think i have come to a concusion for me on this set...

i'll pass this one up to an AquaBase Invasion any day - BrickMiner