Logan McOwen

Hero Factory 2013

Yay! We've finally gotten rid of the abomination that is the Iron Man head!

Concerning Aanchir's post, I've been wanting more creatures, like a dog, a dragon or a bird of some sort since I first laid eyes on the 2.0 system. Your idea about multi-part torsos is also very intriguing.

No Glatorian head anymore?! I wonder if it's a similar looking remold with the new cup or a completely different head in terms of aesthetics/functionality.

Anyway, I'm hoping for at least 3 axle holes. That's what I loved about the Glatorian head.

Edited by Shakar

No more Glatorian Head huh? That's a surprise.

I wonder if Front means if the designers are going to use the 2.0 heads, because they're technically not Bionicle cups, or if they have a whole new head system in mind.

I like all the ideas Aanchir provided. I'd like to see more methods for attaching back armor as well, and I really like the idea of an 'articulated' torso. Two special bone parts, combined together, and two new armor pieces on each of the bones. It could work.

I wouldn't mind seeing another 'Nidhiki'-build for the range, it could be done. I'd prefer if another large animal were introduced first. The dog-companion is a good idea, sounds like something I remember seeing in the first Hero Factory promos. That scene was way too funny.

Hmm, I didn't think about the 2.0 head. That could work.

I can't believe I forgot about the Nidhiki comment. I remember how much I wanted that set back in the days...he's the sole 2004 set I'm keeping built and displayed. I would love a villain like him in HF..

I'm kind of realizing that the reason I'm not so excited about thr 2013 sets is that many of my favourite Heroes (Stringer, Surge, Stormer) are missing in this way wave. But even then, Rocka and Breez lack compared to their Breakout forms. So I hope we do get some more interesting designs in Summer. But even then, I can't deny I'm really excited for the new helmets+visors.

The Villains, though- when I see them, I just don't get the "OMG this guy looks awesome, I want him now" feeling I got with 2012 Villains. I'll wait for better pictures.

Edited by Shakar

NO MORE GLATORIAN HEAD?!?!?!?!!!!!! Why? What am I to do if the ones on my Breakout sets.....you know...break?

NO MORE GLATORIAN HEAD?!?!?!?!!!!!! Why? What am I to do if the ones on my Breakout sets.....you know...break?

It's possible that if the sets use a new head design rather than just the 2.0 head design, the new head design will be compatible with the 1.0 Hero Factory helmets. But that's pure speculation.

Hm. No Glatty heads, huh?

Not sure how I feel about this. I would have loved to see a remolded socket on the head, but I guess this revelation explains why that wasn't done for the summer wave.

I do like the 2.0 head design, however, the one thing I didn't like about it was that it was opaque. The transparency of the Glat head was what I loved about it. I always like holding a light up from behind it and making the eyes glow.

Luckily, the 2013 pictures seem to (slightly) show a transparent looking head underneath everything. That's all I want. A transparent head.

Kalhiki

It's possible that if the sets use a new head design rather than just the 2.0 head design, the new head design will be compatible with the 1.0 Hero Factory helmets. But that's pure speculation.

My thought was that the 2.0 head would be modified to work with the Glat' helmet configuration, + pin holes added to it and that stuff.

No matter which way it's done, old piece or new, I just home our old helmets will be compatible somehow.

Hm. No Glatty heads, huh?

The transparency of the Glat head was what I loved about it. I always like holding a light up from behind it and making the eyes glow.

That's all I want. A transparent head.

Same here :)

I wonder if there will be any new trans colors next wave?

Gone is the glatorian head. For good.

And good that is, the last bionicle ball cup is history.

Enjoy.

Front, why do you torture us like this? And as long as we have new information on 2013, what WILL the new head be like? Transparent, solid, more connection points, less... what will it be?

The one question I really want answered is: Will it use the pin-connection or the axle one?

My thought was that the 2.0 head would be modified to work with the Glat' helmet configuration, + pin holes added to it and that stuff.

No matter which way it's done, old piece or new, I just home our old helmets will be compatible somehow.

Same here :)

I wonder if there will be any new trans colors next wave?

There was a 2013 color palette shown at some LEGO event a while back, and there were no new colors on it. So I doubt we'll see any truly new transparent colors.

It's possible we'll see some that haven't been used as eye colors before, like Trans. Bright Bluish-Violet (Trans-Purple) or Trans. Medium Reddish-Violet (Trans-Dark Pink), but I don't anticipate it. The current eye colors preferred by TLG-- Trans. Fluor. Green (Trans-Neon Green), Trans. Fluor. Blue (Trans-Medium Blue) and Trans. Fluor. Reddish-Orange (Trans-Neon Orange) are currently the only fluorescent colors, and TLG has shown time and time again that they like the glowiness that fluorescent colors provide as eye colors (even for a few years using some in BIONICLE that were not seen in any other themes as far as I know).

Of course, villain sets have used other eye colors like Trans. Red in the past, the Breakout sets had Trans. Bright Green heads (which I don't believe fluoresce), and the 2.0 sets didn't have glowing eyes at all, so who knows? It's possible that anything within TLG's budget is fair game.

No more Glatorian heads, huh? I'm excited.

I've checked and Trans Bright Green is indeed fluorescent.

-Gata signoff.png

No more Glatorian heads, huh? I'm excited.

I've checked and Trans Bright Green is indeed fluorescent.

-Gata signoff.png

Neat to hear! I have never had a good opportunity to check for myself and I've seen photos that called that into question. Wonder if TLG will ever introduce any more new transparent colors... but we're currently on a schedule of just a few new colors a year, and I can work with that if it means no cancerous palette growth like we saw in the early 2000s (with some colors only ever appearing in one or two sets).

I can't say I'm sad to see the Glatorian head go, as it means that TLG's constraction figure lines are now 100% free of fragility. From what I've experienced via my brother's Green Lantern figure, connecting 2.0 sockets and ball joints puts close to zero pressure on the former part, all but eliminating the breaking problems that plagued Bionicle in its last couple of years. I still think the 2008 remold fiasco is one of the worst mistakes TLC ever made, and I've glad to see they've since learned their lesson.

Edited by Zarkan

I have from time to time voiced my critique of the inconsistency in the design of the build of the heads. How masks/helmets are attached, and how different designs from the years are incompatible. Not that compatibility isn't the norm.

Now I can finally relax and hope for a better future.

No ore glatorian heads? That's very sad to read. Best head ever made. I sure hope they don't go back to those aweful 2.0 heads, they suck big time.

I sincerely hope we don't end up with Inika-esque heads again. I'm interested to see what the new design will be (I did like the Glatorian head, but I'm always open to new designs, provided they have functionality), but if it's straight no-piece clip on, well... I think we can do better.

I say if TLG suppose to move towards, you know, universal building system, those heads must be as much universal as could in order to fit all of previousely released helmets.

Also it's just my thoughts AND my dreams, but I would love to see an omni-head that could hold and helmets from HF/GlatBio and Kanohi Masks.

Edited by -N13OS-

Had a look-see at some of the recent posts.. I'm still stunned about the Glatorian Heads.

There was a 2013 color palette shown at some LEGO event a while back, and there were no new colors on it. So I doubt we'll see any truly new transparent colors.

It's possible we'll see some that haven't been used as eye colors before, like Trans. Bright Bluish-Violet (Trans-Purple) or Trans. Medium Reddish-Violet (Trans-Dark Pink), but I don't anticipate it.

As for the mentioned trans colors, I'd love to see the former more than the latter.

I used to draw Toa and other related Bionicle things with purple eyes all the time; the color always fascinated me for some reason.

I sincerely hope we don't end up with Inika-esque heads again. I'm interested to see what the new design will be (I did like the Glatorian head, but I'm always open to new designs, provided they have functionality), but if it's straight no-piece clip on, well... I think we can do better.

...I would love to see an omni-head that could hold and helmets from HF/GlatBio and Kanohi Masks.

I concur. I hope the new head piece works, period. If it is compatable with HF/GlatBio(nice, by the way) heads, great. If there is a separate head piece that can be used, that's great as well. I just hope they don't go Inika on us.

I look forward to seeing what the designers have got planned for us. :classic:

I say if TLG suppose to move towards, you know, universal building system, those heads must be as much universal as could in order to fit all of previousely released helmets.

Also it's just my thoughts AND my dreams, but I would love to see an omni-head that could hold and helmets from HF/GlatBio and Kanohi Masks.

As cool as that idea sounds, it would probably be both ugly and impractical. After all, the more holes you put in a surface as attachment points, the less the surface can be stylized to resemble a head. It might seem easy to stick one attachment point on the front and three on the top, but you'd also need at least four holes on the sides(two for masks like the Garai and two for characters like Splitface. Plus, once you have this many connection points you may have a head with dimensions that won't fit all masks (the aforementioned connection points for the Garai require a broad forehead that won't likely fit most Glatorian helmets).

I myself will be more than impressed if the new head is in fact compatible with both 2.0 and 1.0 helmets. Though perhaps Front only meant that the new head will be used universally moving forward, and will not be backwards-compatible with all masks. After all, even 2.0 and 1.0 compatibility won't allow certain masks/heads like Witch Doctor's to connect.

As long as it has the same degree of customisability that the 2.0 head system (which I still use for my favorite HF MOCs) had, I'll be happy.

This site has some interesting 2013 news... Let's see what Google Translate and some educated guesses have to say.

In 2013, a super-new product by LEGO awaits us. The LEGO Company presents new Hero Factory robot model kit ideas. In the small Brain Attack sets, kits will feature a new element-- the brains, which move into the characters and completely change their minds.

The old robots from LEGO Hero Factory received new weapons and armor from the creators. In each package you will find game points, which will be useful for you to download LEGO online games. Lego also released an application for Apple, entitled "Brainstorm." What will be the nature of the application – is a secret. Some LEGO Hero Factory characters combine with one another and thus become even cooler and more frightening monsters

So, mostly this is stuff that we already knew or coud assume (more game points, more combination models, the brain slugs have mind control), but the news of a "Brainstorm" app is neat. Chances are it will be a game similar to the Breakout game, though I'm curious if TLG might integrate some of the augmented reality ideas that were suggested during the ADVANCE Hero Factory designer workshop.

Some more specific descriptions:

Furno – One of the main Hero Factory heroes. His helmet visor opens, his Hero Core is updated with special protection, and on his shoulders – armor of thorns. He has a fiery sword and shield. The Furno kit combines with Pyrox (44001). Inside the package you will find 1000 game points. LEGO Hero Factory 44000 Furno XL on sale in 2013
Pyrox – LEGO Hero Factory villain. His huge deadly horns have become even stronger and sharper. Pyrox's weapons – rotating fire staff and fiery claws. Behind the mask fits the brain, making the bloodthirsty monster. You can connect it with the Furno kit (44000). 400 points for the online game in package. LEGO Hero Factory 44001 Pyrox on sale in 2013
Rocka – A hero, blades mounted on his shield. Just as with Furno, helmet opens and closes, protecting the upgraded core. Rocka's main weapon – his plasma sword. Rocka combines with Scarox (44003). For online games – 200 points in the set. LEGO Hero Factory kit 44002 Rocka on sale in 2013.
Scarox – an evil monster, who under the helmet has a dark green brain. His weapon – sharp poisonous fangs and Edged Blades, attacking the victim from behind. Scarox combines with Rocka (44002), and it makes them practically invincible. 200 game points in the set. LEGO Hero Factory 44003 Scarox on sale in 2013
Bulk – another hero. Reinforced with protection of his core. Bulk's weapon is a laser drill with integrated rocket launcher. The shield can be attached to the back, so it does not interfere in the fight. Bulk combines with Bruiser (44005), thus becoming almost three times deadlier! Within the set – 200 game points. LEGO Hero Factory 44004 Bulk on sale in 2013.
Bruizer – the victim of an evil orange brain, which climbed into his mask. The second major villain, he combines with Bulk (44003). Bruizer's main weapon is his crushing fist. The heavier armor on Bruizer's shoulders and knees protect against impact. 400 points for the online game in package. LEGO Hero Factory kit 44005 Bruizer on sale in 2013.
Breez – a hero with very sharp edges on her shield. Just as with Furno and Rocka, helmet opens and closes, protecting the upgraded core. Breez's main weapon – bilateral spear. Breez combines with Ogrum (44007). For online games – 200 points in the set. LEGO Hero Factory kit 44006 Breez on sale in 2013.
Ogrum – a minor villain into which a light green brain snuck behind the mask. Ogrum's main weapon – a rather dangerous crusher on a long chain. The monster Ogrum can be combined with Breez (44006). Inside the package – 400 game points. LEGO Hero Factory kit 44007 Ogrum on sale in 2013.
Edited by Aanchir

>his helmet visor opens

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA yessssss

Sounds like the villains themselves weren't actually "characters" so to speak, until animated by the brain slugs.

Edited by Dorek

This is really neat! Cool to hear Bulk's shield attaches to his back. Hopefully this is the same with the other Heroes.

And also cool to hear the potential rankings for the villains. Bruizer being more important, Ogrum being lesser. I imagine Pyrox is the main villain, leaving Scarox either last or second to last.

I guess the combi models also gives a potential Hero/Villain Nemesis thing like Breakout. Not to mention, having them being similar colors would make a more solid model (color-wise, anyway).

Kalhiki

The constant mention of the core protection right after the opening helmet makes me think that what actually opens are the Exo-Force arms enclosing the Hero Core. :/ Still, we shouldn't give up hope on flipping visors yet. ^^

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui