hachiroku

Best 2012 Star Wars set

I'd have to say the skiff for me. The price is great for what you get. That's my main hangup with Jabba's Palace. As much as I love the minifigs that come with it, the price is simply too high for it to be the best of the year.

The skiff was great for the figures present and the price point! I love me some cheap sets.

But I'd choose the TIE Fighter only because that is basically the first SW set I've purchased and it was a good way to start with the theme. Looking back at previous versions, 2012 definitely takes the cake with the TIE and the X-wing.

My bias towards the OT will make me pick the Tie Fighter or X-Wing but they've been done before though these iterations are the best (bar the UCS ones perhaps).

I'd show more love towards the Skiff but a brand new one here in Australia isn't great value (US$45 or so new in stores like Target and TRU)...

My 9500 is on the way so can't comment. Ditto R2. Haven't even seen the B-Wing in the flesh...

That leaves Jabba's Palace. Aside from the high price, this set has great minifigs, playability and is pretty faithful to the OT source material. Plus it bolts on to 2013s Rancor Pit. WIN!

Edited by shawn_low

I will be the only person saying this, but the Elite Clone Trooper and Commando Droid Battle Pack is the best (I'm just beginning to build an army)

I also liked the Desert Skiff.

I agree with Dragon Fire. The two elite trooper are two of the best Star Wars figures in a long time, if not ever. That pack gets my vote.

Best minifigures? Probably Jabba's Palace.

Best build? I didn't buy enough sets to really be able to say.

The build of Jabba's Palace is too compact and depressing.I'd rather have not had the tower and given his room a bit more space.

I would have to say the "best" set of 2012 was the new Tie Fighter, simply because it was one of the most iconic vehicles of Star Wars, and looooong overdue for an updated design. The 2.0 Tie should last us another ten years before we get cranky for a new one.

I would say that my the best is the skiff too, it had great minifigures and a nice build. Jabba's palace has great figures but I have to agree that the build was a little disappointing.

For me it would be Anakin's Jedi Interceptor or, like everyone else, the Skiff. I'd say the Interceptor was best for overall set design and minifigures, but the Skiff was just a little below and had a better price value.

I feel with you, Lobot. That was a great model. I bought it primarily for Lobot, but enjoyed the whole set, especially those red-orange pieces.

For me, the best set of the year was Jabba's Palace, hands down. Despite the seemingly extortionate price, it truly seems to have been aimed as a big gift/collector set, and the wealth of new molds, parts in new colors, design techniques, and the overall beauty of it justified it for me. It was worth it for the figs down, but it currently occupies a crowning place in my overall collection.

Edited by Zacherano

Earlier I said the ECT and CD Battle Pack was my favourite. Actually, I liked almost all the 2012 sets, and the Interceptor has grown on me.

Did you know, the Skiff is retailing for £35 in Tesco's?

absolutely love the skiff and saesee tin's starfighter. that one was quite the surprise. anakin's jedi interceptor was also a fun set. but the best and most interesting to build certainly was the sith fury class interceptor. boy, that one is soooo compact and really good looking. wasn't overly impressed by the malevolence.

For me the best set was: the 9516 Jabba's Palace.

9516-1.jpg

Purely because of the Minifig choice and the excellent design and the overall layout! Also it connects to the Rancor Pit which seriously adds playability.

Edited by Darthluke824

As I am a fan of the film series and not much into TCW or EU, 2012 was a very good year for me. Seven System OT sets, three System Prequel sets and two OT UCS sets and I like EVERY one of them. Jabba's Palace stands out the most to me- I thought it was very well designed, and the figure selection was great. The Skiff was also one of my favorites- great price, great figures, etc. The UCS R2-D2 looks like a fun build (I haven't put mine together yet) and I have to say that even though I don't collect EU, the Fury Interceptor looks amazing and fits very nicely in the Star Wars Universe.

Desert Skiff. I haven't brought a LEGO Star Wars set in seven years, as I've been waiting for a set to impress me. This was the set, and I brought it December 2012. :cry_happy:

Can we add a poll to this or start a new thread with a poll? What about doing a poll for the past few years? I would be very curious to see what everyone's best sets would be since 2007.