General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

If I understand correctly, that site says there will be three sets released in October that are LotR and or Hobbit. The Hobbit sets had been showing up in December so perhaps these are LotR. The delay from summer might be due to scheduling conflicts. That is the hope.

I think people might be freaking out a little too much over this. We don't have any solid proof that LOTR's ending. Yes, it wasn't advertised in the instructions like past years, but no other themes got advertisements for future sets, and they just about never do. I think The Hobbit was just advertised because it goes along with the game (even though they're releasing them at different times). I'm really sure we'll end up getting a third and probably final LOTR wave this summer, which I'd guess will be fairly small, and then a final Hobbit wave for TABA. Then that will probably be it.

Also, the rumor list for the summer Star Wars sets is now out so maybe we could hear from LOTR soon if there will be summer sets.

Also, the rumor list for the summer Star Wars sets is now out so maybe we could hear from LOTR soon if there will be summer sets.

Looks like we may have the beginnings of that list in the Hobbit/LotR 2013 thread:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=75636&st=7225#entry1777668

According to this Hungarian site, we'll get three sets in October:

http://www.legomarka...=csoport&cs=153

79015: HUF 3855 (12€)

79017: HUF 10455 (35€)

79018: HUF 26575 (90€)

It doesn't specify names or what theme (Hobbit/LOTR) these belong to, but at least the prices are indicated :wink:

I guess those might be LOTR sets since the Hobbit sets surely will be released in December :wink: Besides, the prices don't seem to be that high (79018 seems to be as expensive as 79010), so Smaug surely isn't among those three sets :laugh:

I actuated the Internet Wayback Machine and discovered that the category could definitely stand for both; LOTR and Hobbit used to have their own categories ("Gyürük Ura" for LOTR and "Gyürük Ura-Hobbit" for The Hobbit, probably so customers would know these belong together), but when the 2013 Summer wave was released, the two categories were merged :classic: The Hungarian release date for last year's LOTR sets was August btw :wink:

Edit: Here's another argument for these sets being based on LOTR: if these are to be released in October, they must be part of the Summer wave and are thus shown at the toy fairs (like the 2010 Harry Potter sets that were also released in October and were still featured prominently in both the London and NY toy fairs). And I simply couldn't imagine TLG showing sets based on an upcoming film this far in advance :grin:

Edited by Lego-Freak

I said I'd trust to logic and wait, and now hurray, looks like we're getting 4 sets this summer! 79016 should be some sort of retailer exclusive. Probably LOTR sets because of the timing. The 35€ set will hopefully be the Balrog and one figure, and the 90€ the Witch King plus Gondor stuff? 12€ Mirror of Galadriel or Frodo and Sam in Mordor? Let the rampant speculation commence!!

Edited by Brickadiergerard

I said I'd trust to logic and wait, and now hurray, looks like we're getting 4 sets this summer! 79016 should be some sort of retailer exclusive. Probably LOTR sets because of the timing. The 35€ set will hopefully be the Balrog and one figure, and the 90€ the Witch King plus Gondor stuff? 12€ Mirror of Galadriel or Frodo and Sam in Mordor? Let the rampant speculation commence!!

If these are real...granted after some research Hungarians (shops or whatever) combined LOTR and Hobbit in 1 name to make them 1 line and only add LOTR or Hobbit at end.... I think Hobbit will nto get released at October... that would be insane for marketing point of view....

So if the release date HOLDS I am 99% these are LOTR....

Now to the price points.....

12€ set..... hard to say.....

35€ price point.... I would love it to be Balrog + Gandalf + maybe Boromir and Frodo..... or even Boromir and 1 Moria Orc Archer..... However I love Balrog I would choose Gondorian battle pack over Balrog any day :D (in the type of uruk-hai army)

90€ now thats a tricky one..... if 35€ would indeed be Balrog (which is highly likely) allthough a WEIRD price point usually either 30 or 40 (39.99 bla bla) then I would PREFER if 90€ = Witch King on fell beast + Osgilliath ''assault'' and not Witch King on pelennor....

Ideal for me It would be:

12€ = Galadriel + Frodo or Boromir + Lurtz

35€ = Balrog + Gandalf + Moria orc Archer + Boromir (seem fair 30 or 40€ price point for 3 figs!)

likely 50€ or 60€ exclusive Witch King + Theoden on Snowmane with barding and Eowyn and Merry and possibly even 1 Haradrim or Gothmog Orc Leader

90€ Assault on Gates of Minas Tirith featuring Grond 1 Armored Troll, Gandalf the White, 2 Mordor Orcs, 2 Gondor Archers (with a armory part behind wall that also includes 2x new printed white tree shields!) and possibly Faramir or Denethor....

I personally see 2 more ideas that could come from 90€ price point and those are:

- Assault on Osgilliath featuring ruins of Osgilliath 2-3 mordor orcs, Gothmog, Faramir, 1x Gondor Soldier, 1x Gondor Ranger maybe even Damrod

- (1 that might slightly surprise all) a magnificent Mumakil with Haradrim on them (2x archer + leader) possibly even 2x ''mumakil if they reuse the Elephant modl and enlarge it a little only perhaps or not even) with Eomer and another Rohan Soldier on Horse....

The sets

79015:

79017:

79018:

are now listed in brickset.com in Hobbit section, so this is not looks good for LOTR 2014 but I hope thats wrong.

Ahh, ok. Ya I was thinking about translating it but was too lazy, I guess I probably should of :tongue:

It seems really weird to release these sets in October, but maybe that's just in Hungary and it will be sooner in other places? Like June as we have gotten the last three LotR waves? It does appear to be 4 sets (one must be a store exclusive, hence the number missing as others pointed out). The prices are also pretty interesting.. does this store usually have everything MSRP? I know the euro price has been the same number as the US dollar amount on recent Lego sets despite the euro being worth more. We haven't gotten a sets at any of those price points in either LotR or Hobbit wave as of yet. If they were hiking up the price it would make sense because then the prices would be $9.99, $29.99, and $79.99. That's about what TRU marks their stuff up, usually only a few bucks on small sets and on the bigger ones they really start marking their stuff up, easily passing 10 bucks when you get to the $100+ sets. 79016 is probably in the $19.99-24.99 price range.

In the case of licensed themes the conversion between European and US prices is usually not 1 EUR = 1 USD but even worse. A 30 USD set might very well be 40 EUR in Europe.

Mirkwood Elf Army has an RRP of 30 USD and 40 EUR respectively.

Lake Town Chase is 50 USD / 60 EUR.

(The most outrageous is the Stagecoach Escape from Lone Ranger: 30 USD / 50 EUR. The latter is more than double of the US price.)

The sets

79015:

79017:

79018:

are now listed in brickset.com in Hobbit section, so this is not looks good for LOTR 2014 but I hope thats wrong.

The hungarian site has just merged the two categories LOTR and The Hobbit. It's very unlikely that it is Hobbit sets, why would they release them approx 2 months before the movies? It's almost certainly LOTR sets, the summer waves of 2014 (2013 Summer Waves came out in August in Hungary)

The sets

79015:

79017:

79018:

This doesn't surprise me because a third Hobbit wave is already confirmed and they COULD be part of it. I beleive/hope they are LotR set and it seems plausible!

If they are hobbit sets i hope to god there will be more than 3.....

Edit: So we should be able to start a 2014 thread soon, right? :laugh:

Not sure if you are joking or not- but NO don't do it. No 2014 set thread until we have something solid. For now, keep the discussion in here.

The wait to find out if its a 3rd lotr wave which would be great or a very small hobbit wave and no lotr.

The sets

79015:

79017:

79018:

I hope it's just misplaced because they figured the thing at the top meant "Hobbit", and they didn't know the translation of "Gyuruk ura" (or whatever it was again)...

The discontinuation of the LOTR theme would be very disappointing, but I'm still hoping.

I hope it's just misplaced because they figured the thing at the top meant "Hobbit", and they didn't know the translation of "Gyuruk ura" (or whatever it was again)...

The discontinuation of the LOTR theme would be very disappointing, but I'm still hoping.

It's probably just because the hungarian site placed LOTR and Hobbit-sets in the same category. Lots of online shops in my country does that, too.

Yeah after looking at brickset that is where they got there info so it does not mean it is hobbit but just cos we all want more LOTR does not mean it is but news of the summer sets starting so we should find out soon I guess it all comes down to what these sets are.

It smells like lotr to me, They wouldnt release hobbit sets in october surely? then again the release month might be soemthing random they picked for 2. half of 2014.

Maybe they find lotr sells more closer to the rest of the middle earth mayhem/marketing?

just 3 sets for TABA sounds suspicious, but we only got 4 sets this year so who knows.

As soemone else pointed out, the website does say LOTR/HOBBIT when translated.

We only got 4 sets this year but we did get 6 sets in all based on the film so I think that makes up for it, 3 or 4 sets would seem very small for the final film.

Awesome, but nobody pointed out 79016 is missing.

Someone did on the previous page. Store exclusive maybe?

2012 Hobbit - 2013 LoTR set #79000 - #79008

2013 Hobbit - 2014 ???? #79011 - #79018

(2012 Goblin King set was #79010)

SO MAYBE 2014 LoTR will continue with the number count if the trend follows the pattern from 2012-2013

If Treebeard is indeed the only non-release, I guess I could somewhat live with it for the time being. Ya never know, maybe a final combined wave to coincide with the final blu-ray release in 2015??? TABA will not hit until Dec. 2014 guaranteed. These 4 sets have to be LotR.

If we DON'T wind up getting the Balrog, Witch-King/Fell Beast & Smaug ... it would be the biggest travesty in toy franchise history.

If Treebeard is indeed the only non-release, I guess I could somewhat live with it for the time being. Ya never know, maybe a final combined wave to coincide with the final blu-ray release in 2015??? TABA will not hit until Dec. 2014 guaranteed. These 4 sets have to be LotR.

If we DON'T wind up getting the Balrog, Witch-King/Fell Beast & Smaug ... it would be the biggest travesty in toy franchise history.

Well if its the last wave and if TLG is looking overall... its not hard to MOC Treebeard out of the Ent from Orthanc.... Even for us who ''hate'' or dislike to MOC it takes about 30-40 pieces to make Treebeard out of that Ent....

Currently you need a whole make up plan for Balrog...