General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

I'm probably alone here but I wouldn't mind getting an Entranced Galadriel minifigure in the mirror set and a regular version in the final Hobbit wave.

I'd want backprint on her face.

Unfortunely, the fact that we haven't heard anything by now is a pretty big reason to assume that we won't get another LOTR wave.

I doubt we will hear until after the new year. TLG did just release the hobbit wave, plus all the new waves that come out the beginning of the new year. Plus lego the movie and a new lego hobbit video game. Seems like their priority right now would be else where and not reassuring the hand full of people here who are sure that no news is bad news.

Edited by Darth Punk

Yeah cos Gandalf Arrives had so many action.... I mean those fireworks from the ''megablocks'' of his wagon were so amazing and that makes mirror scene so dull lol

Sorry had to do it :D

None of the small sets have a ton of action. The difference with Gandalf Arrives is that it was the only set with Gandalf in it at the time, and it also had the exclusive Frodo print (which was later released in a polybag). A Galadriel's Mirror set would have a secondary character who is in the LotR films less than 10 minutes total. How well do you think a set with little action AND a character who isn't prominent in the movie would sell with kids? Sure AFOLs would eat it up, but kids? Not so much. I do like Mr. Cube's idea to have a blue light brick though, that could be really impressive looking. Has Lego ever had a light brick in a cheap $10-13 set though?

None of the small sets have a ton of action. The difference with Gandalf Arrives is that it was the only set with Gandalf in it at the time, and it also had the exclusive Frodo print (which was later released in a polybag). A Galadriel's Mirror set would have a secondary character who is in the LotR films less than 10 minutes total. How well do you think a set with little action AND a character who isn't prominent in the movie would sell with kids? Sure AFOLs would eat it up, but kids? Not so much. I do like Mr. Cube's idea to have a blue light brick though, that could be really impressive looking. Has Lego ever had a light brick in a cheap $10-13 set though?

Well must say it looks like Wizard Battle has a ''ton'' of action though compared to all others.... Its by far the best small set out there, even compared to other themes....

You are right... but then again how much was Mouth of Sauron in the movies?(only extended) And we got it... and yes it was next to others but still... it was, more or less, the center attraction of the set as the ''main'' villain to fight...

The thing is If Galadriel does not come out in a small set (like proposed) I really dont see how making a 30 or 40$ Lothlorien would be ANY better (if we look from Kids perspective) the ONLY action in Lothlorien is from the mirror if we call it action at all...

I just hope we get something.

I wouldn't do Galadriel in a LotR set at all. She looks almost identical in LotR and the Hobbit. I say put her in a Hobbit set where she seems like she will have much more action.

Her and Sauron, seem more likely to be in the Hobbit sets.

It's smarter from a selling point, AFOLs might not want Hobbit Sets but they are going to want Sauron and Galadriel minifigs..

Doesn't the LEGO Lord of the Rings video game hint at a Lothlorien set? Although It seems that LEGO has a finalized design, we don't know if they will actually ever release it. I think that is the only change we have of getting a Galadriel in the Lord fo the Rings line. We might get her in The Hobbit line instead though.

Yeah cos Gandalf Arrives had so many action.... I mean those fireworks from the ''megablocks'' of his wagon were so amazing and that makes mirror scene so dull lol

Sorry had to do it :D

Gandalf Arrives is a vehicle set. And it was the first set with the cool new horse. Not all play features are "Gollum Flingers". Now Riddles of the Ring? Talk about zero play value.

THIS IS LEGO TREEBEARD:

359874_treebeard_2_medium.jpg

AND HE NEEDS TO BE MADE.

The Ent that comes with Orthanc is NOT Treebeard. I understand some are cool with just that Ent. But for me, Treebeard is just WAY too iconic a character to be ignored or half megablocks'd.

And this for sure:

balrog.jpg

The Balrog scene is pretty much the most epic part of FotR, So epic, it starts off TTT. Of this scene alone there are shirts, posters, a pretty cool AOME set (as a statue albeit), and many a pop-culture joke (You shall not pass). The whole tone of the movie CHANGED after this dude popped up out of the flames. Not 1 company has made a cool stand alone poseable Balrog toy. For years to come, this could be a highly sought after set.

lego_lord_of_the_rings_main.jpg

On the rumored list, but until it becomes reality, The Witch King Showdown is another MUST. Not only is it badass for both kids and adults alike, there are people that would buy 9 SETS!

I'm sorry guys, but for me... these sets for LotR are ESSENTIAL sets, iconic scenes.

Don't get me wrong here. I am very happy we have gotten what's been released to date. But seriously, between kids and the kid in me... would you want that Rivendell set or the Balrog/Treebeard?

I don't understand why a company as big as Lego, who can do whatever they want basically, won't put out these SURE sellers. The hardcore fanboys alone would gobble them up. People into LotR, but not Lego so much, would buy them.

I will get whatever else they release from LotR. I even like all of the rumored wave 3 sets. But without the 3 sets listed above, this line will remain unfinished with WAY too much potential.

These are the 3 LotR sets I think we can all agree that most people would want. Lets make it happen!!!

Gandalf Arrives had two strengths as a desirable set: First, it was inexpensive compared to the others. Second, when it first came out, it was the only way to get Gandalf and that version of Frodo.

I'd want backprint on her face.

Unfortunely, the fact that we haven't heard anything by now is a pretty big reason to assume that we won't get another LOTR wave.

We haven't heard anything about Castle either. There's been no news whether Galaxy Squad is returning or if its getting replaced by another Space theme - or if we're even getting a Space theme at all next year. There's been nothing about Summer waves for Star Wars, City, Creator, Lego Movie, DC Superheroes, Chima, NinjaGo, Friends or Disney Princess either.

People need to stop fearing the worst just because there isn't any news on the line. Its no different to any other Lego theme. We're lucky we even got preliminary pics this year with Lego cracking down on the leaks.

You know Lego looks at sets from a kids point of view. The sets would be neat for collectors but would a kid really play with the Balrog that long? He was barely in the movie.

would a kid really play with the Balrog that long? He was barely in the movie.

And yet he leaves far more of a lasting impression than most of the other villains. His image and form are instantly iconic. A good 20 minutes of the movie is spent fleeing from his very presence, and he's heavily foreshadowed throughout the movie. And then he comes back in 2 epic flashbacks in The Two Towers. Now, the Mouth of Sauron - that's a "neat" characters for us collectors. Awesome villain design and a niche persona, but few kids sit in awe of the Mouth of Sauron, who never draws a sword and has 5 minutes on screen at best.

You know Lego looks at sets from a kids point of view. The sets would be neat for collectors but would a kid really play with the Balrog that long? He was barely in the movie.

Would a kid really want to play with the Council of Elrond for that long? How many times can they make the chairs swivel and flip Gimli off the platform before they get bored? Are they going to have Elrond sit there and talk to the Fellowship for hours on end trying to discuss what to do with the ring? I think if anything, a Balrog set would be HUGE with kids. There could be tons of play features like an exploding bridge and stairs, and the Balrog with a "whipping" arm action. There could be some nice minifigures with a few Moria Orcs with their really distinct helms from the film. And then of course there's the Balrog who would easily sell the set itself (if done right).

You pretty much hit all the ticks. Big cool creature? Check. Nice exclusive minifigures? Check. Lots of play features that make sense? Check, check! I think it would be an AFOL AND childs dream come true.

If they make a Balrog in a set like on that picture above I'd defo buy 2 (1 to open and 1 to keep Minty forever :D)

The problem is they need to make a breaking bridge or all is in vain... and that might take quite a few bricks to do it... would probably make 180-250 parts for Balrog and around 150-200 for the Bridge which makes it up to 450 parts roughly.and thats already in the 50-60$ area.

It would be funny to see results if people could vote on Balrog vs Witch King scene and only 1 could be made....

What would you choose :D I know I would Balrog in such case.... But I doubt Balrog would win especially if Eowyn comes in a set lol

If they make a Balrog in a set like on that picture above I'd defo buy 2 (1 to open and 1 to keep Minty forever :D)

The problem is they need to make a breaking bridge or all is in vain... and that might take quite a few bricks to do it... would probably make 180-250 parts for Balrog and around 150-200 for the Bridge which makes it up to 450 parts roughly.and thats already in the 50-60$ area.

It would be funny to see results if people could vote on Balrog vs Witch King scene and only 1 could be made....

What would you choose :D I know I would Balrog in such case.... But I doubt Balrog would win especially if Eowyn comes in a set lol

Definitely Witch King set with Eowyn... You can make your own brick built Balrog ...

Definitely Witch King set with Eowyn... You can make your own brick built Balrog ...

You can also make your brick built fell beast...... and you can get fake Witch king helmet and put it on one of the Nazguls from Weathertop really..

No you cannot ladd. The bricks for balrog are actually on the market, but I didnt notice about some molded fell beast or molded helm, even Eowyns helmet...maybe I was too blind but there are not such molds... And I dont want to create some ugly helmet from what we have...

And yet he leaves far more of a lasting impression than most of the other villains. His image and form are instantly iconic. A good 20 minutes of the movie is spent fleeing from his very presence, and he's heavily foreshadowed throughout the movie. And then he comes back in 2 epic flashbacks in The Two Towers. Now, the Mouth of Sauron - that's a "neat" characters for us collectors. Awesome villain design and a niche persona, but few kids sit in awe of the Mouth of Sauron, who never draws a sword and has 5 minutes on screen at best.

Agreed. And lets not forget, The Mouth of Sauron was only in the EE of RotK. Unless you were already a die hard and had seen that version of the film, you never even saw him. How many kids could sit through that whole film, let alone the EE (which I have to watch in 2 sittings, lol). A prime example of doing something very cool for the hardcore fans. The Black Gate is cool, but I'd have preferred a Witch King with Fell Beast set first.

$50-60 for a Balrog set is more than reasonable. He's never been made by any other company. It would literally be the only way to have him. I would buy 2, as well as many other collectors. Kids would love him, and would probably think of him fondly when they got older. I know I do when I think back upon the cool toys of my youth (AT-AT Imperial Walker is a great example). Even if this was a store exclusive similar to Orthanc, it needs to be done.

If I HAD to vote, I'd vote Balrog for sure. But the price points would be so different on these sets I can't see them being put in the same category. Maybe more like, if I had to choose a:

Amon Hen Ambush ~or~ Treebeard Encounter ... I would choose Treebeard

Defense of Osgiliath ~or~ The Balrog ... I would choose The Balrog

Since the Witchking Showdown set is already rumored, I'd be fine with getting a few of them. And I am in no way saying I wouldn't want Amon Hen or Defense of Osgiliath. I'd actually want all of the sets. I guess what I am really saying is that I want ALL of the rumored sets, a Balrog set & a Treebeard set. If that was it for the line after that, I would be VERY happy and keep my mouth shut.

If I HAD to vote, I'd vote Balrog for sure. But the price points would be so different on these sets I can't see them being put in the same category. Maybe more like, if I had to choose a:

Ha I actually would choose the exact opposite… and I would probably buy multiples of the Osgiliath set to amass Gondorian soldiers.

No you cannot ladd. The bricks for balrog are actually on the market, but I didnt notice about some molded fell beast or molded helm, even Eowyns helmet...maybe I was too blind but there are not such molds... And I dont want to create some ugly helmet from what we have...

I dont see how this is not built in real life?

Theoden we have.... Eowyn helm can very well be the same as Eomer... sure the color is not the same but dont expect a new Eowyn helmet mold for this id say... sooner we get her when she throws off the helm with hair... so technically Witch kings helmet is the only mold there should be added for you to recreate Witch King scene if you truly wanted it.... And thats doable... found some fakes that look the same on ebay a few months ago... not for a purist but hey :P

1.jpg

About that Treebeard...that is LEGO VIDEOGAME TREEBEARD. We also have videogame Moria Orcs and in reality we get them without armor and helmets and shield...I know that the Orthanc Ent is named just as Ent, bud I think it´s Treebeard.

You can modify the ent to look like treebeard if you want treebeard.... treebeard is a waste of set... you have an ent.... play with bricks now :P

I agree. I think other characters/sets are more important at the moment. (Witch King, Eowyn, Faramir, sets based on Gondor)

It would be a real shame if we don't get a third wave! Retailers should get the new catalogues in a few weeks and then we wil know a lot more.