Kumbbl

Best B-Models of Technic Sets?

What about the B model for the 9394 Jet Plane?, I noticed in the show us you collection thread that alot of people had built the B model instead of the jet. Is the B model better?.

What about the B model for the 9394 Jet Plane?, I noticed in the show us you collection thread that alot of people had built the B model instead of the jet. Is the B model better?.

Yes I would say it is a much better set than the A model.

Paul B can you elaborate why?.

To me it looks better, has better functions and does not look as "plain" as the A model does. I brought two copies of this set and built them both side by side.

maybe new grand prix racer (#42000)'s B model, Love that race truck :)

maybe new grand prix racer (#42000)'s B model, Love that race truck :)

That is quite interesting as a friend of mine purchased this set and built the B model (I built the A model) we both aggreed the A model was much better. The B model just seems a little bit "half done" to me.

just built the buggy of the 8479:

buggy.jpg

absolute brilliant small and cute model... very nifty and clever mechanism - driving the steering by the differential overload when propulsion is stopped (e.g. after touching a wall)... my son doesn't stop kidding :classic:

Edited by Kumbbl

Like D3K and Lost_In_Noise mentioned:

Crazy Ted reads my mind! Those are my picks as well, from the more recent sets at least.

Edited by jantjeuh

42009. Many functions, some of them unique, and great playability. Kept my son quiet for days!

Definitely the 8297b

8297-3.jpg

Suspension was softer and looks more complete and more importantly, more like an "Extreme offroader!"

I have a brickshelf folder where I uploaded pics of alternate models from my collection. 3 pages long, and due to an update soon.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=98173

just built the buggy of the 8479:

buggy.jpg

absolute brilliant small and cute model... very nifty and clever mechanism - driving the steering by the differential overload when propulsion is stopped (e.g. after touching a wall)... my son doesn't stop kidding :classic:

Agreed, it was brilliant, and way better than the first alternate model of that set (the clumsy satellite truck)

Edited by SheepEater

Agreed, it was brilliant, and way better than the first alternate model of that set (the clumsy satellite truck)

and here is the forth alternate model of 8479: a very funny walking robot - just built it:

8479-4-9-ltm.jpg

the pure walking mechanism is funny to watch but even more funnier is: the faster you spin the wheel at the controller the faster the robot walks (and it can walk really fast) - if you press simultaneously the sensor button at the controller it walks backwards... a small but very clever alternate model - so overall the 8479 is a real universal set, IMHO... very very recommened for all technic lovers.

Edited by Kumbbl

and here is the forth alternate model of 8479: a very funny walking robot - just built it:

8479-4-9-ltm.jpg

the pure walking mechanism is funny to watch but even more funnier is: the faster you spin the wheel at the controller the faster the robot walks (and it can walk really fast) - if you press simultaneously the sensor button at the controller it walks backwards... a small but very clever alternate model - so overall the 8479 is a real universal set, IMHO... very very recommened for all technic lovers.

Agreed!

3/4 of the models of that set are pure genius - ony the satellite truck left me underwhelmed.

http://www.brickshel...ery.cgi?f=98183

117_1784.jpg

Edited by SheepEater

Agreed!

3/4 of the models of that set are pure genius - ony the satellite truck left me underwhelmed.

yes, agreed too.

Therefore i bought 8479 two times, so i can display these three brilliant models at the same time... one set for the main truck, the other for the buggy and the robot (with some spare parts from bricklink and one additional motor)

Overall the 8479 is in my top 5 sets all the time and AFAICS this will never change... ;)

Although I have not yet built it, the alternative model for 9397 looks quite good to me:

9397b03.jpg

for me this is one of the best B-models, even better then the main model:

- lot of functions

- completely different

- nice look

- not too many remaining parts

- complex design

- intersting build

highly recommended! For 9397-newbies i would even recommend first building the B-Model ;-)

I´ve build the B-model of the 8420 the chopper looks great i think and very large.

Nice to collect, now i have the streetbike and one chopper.

I´ve build the B-model of the 8420 the chopper looks great i think and very large.

Nice to collect, now i have the streetbike and one chopper.

agreed - built the chopper today - cool model, looks like the real thing - together with the cute streetbike by far the best motorcycle set of Lego... in generel i like these sets most where the b model is as good as the a model... these sets i always bough twice - 8420 is such a set ...

I personally also really like the 8052 b model. I have motorized it too: http://mocpages.com/moc.php/358416

Hmm, this B-model doesn't impress me but 8052 is the set for which most** alternate models have been designed - all with instructions:

- Grohl has made at least 4: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=grohl666

- Tomik has made 3: http://buildinst.sweb.cz/8052en.html

Therefore i like 8052 a lot...great set for building around...

**Well, for 8048 exist also a lot of alternates and also for 8271 - grohl has made more than 30 AFAIK...