SheepEater

STAMPs (Stickers Across Multiple Pieces)

I haven't found any topic discussing this since I joined EB. Perhaps this is due to Lego being smarter with their stickers nowadays. For instance, neither 9473 nor 4207 had STAMPs despite being very sticker-intensive sets, Thumbs up LEGO! For 4207 for instance, the big sign is split among several individual stickers.

Of course the best solution is always to not use them, but what do you think of my solution for STAMPS I DO want to apply: I apply them on bricks then use a very sharp exacto knife and expertly cut the sticker across the separation.

For sets such as 3451 and 2556, this was a very long and tedious process since stickers span several layers of small plates at once. Not for the impatient nor for the unsteady hand.

Edited by SheepEater

I hate STAMPs. I've got a couple of Exo-force sets I bought off a friend a few years ago, and a couple of them have STAMPs (I'm mainly thinking of that orange tank) and I feel like I can't really use those parts for anything.

I usually don't use these stickers unless they are really essential for the set to look good (which is occasionally the case). I think Lego has gotten better about this in recent years though. We get a lot more stickers in sets today than we did 10 or 15 years ago, but very few that cover multiple parts.

For sets such as 3451 and 2556, this was a very long and tedious process since stickers span several layers of small plates at once. Not for the impatient nor for the unsteady hand.

For 2556, you might as well leave them off since they will peel off and break up anyway after a few years on display.

For 2556, you might as well leave them off since they will peel off and break up anyway after a few years on display.

Going on 10 years and still sticking strong, but they were in a ziploc for most of that time. I got myself a spare brand new sheet just in case, though,

STAMPs are one of the few instances where I am vehemently opposed to stickers. With that said, my solution for them is the same as yours-- to apply them then cut them apart with an X-Acto knife. This has been the case since my childhood, when my dad handled anything involving stickers-- for example, the classic "Pizza to Go".

In some cases it's easy to see why STAMPs are used-- for instance, on the Maerdk train, the company probably didn't want their logo mutilated by being split across multiple stickers. But in most cases they should ideally be eliminated.

My solution is to normally avoid buying sets with STAMP. I caved with Maersk train but haven't applied the STAMPs.

Are there very many sets with STAMPs anymore? I think the only one I can remember seeing in modern times is the Maersk train? What else resorts to using them?

The original Sopwith Camel is still killing me, I keep finding those bricks and plates in my collection and it pains me to see those cracking stickers still on there. Too bad really because it looked fantastic with the stickers and since I've broken it down those pieces are useless until I can figure out how to get those stickers off cleanly and easily.

Depending on the orientation of the sticker, I may also cut it to fit on individual bricks. But, not if the require small intricate cuts leaving small fragments of stickers. :classic:

Are there very many sets with STAMPs anymore? I think the only one I can remember seeing in modern times is the Maersk train? What else resorts to using them?

Tons in classic town sets 1831 Maersk Container Lorry and similar cargo trucks, 2532 Aircraft and Ground Support, 6335 Indy Car Transport, and 6337 Fast Track Finish. Just to name a few. :classic:

The original Sopwith Camel is still killing me...

Yeah the original Sopwith is a bit of disappointment in the sticker department. I got mine on the secondary market for $57 and some change. It's tail stickers are a bit rough. I went on to carefully glued them. I don't know why some stickers printed on white do that. I also had a more recent set, 3180 Tank Truck, do the same thing... :sceptic::classic:

I don't see them so much anymore, I think the introduction of a few parts, in particular the 2x4 tile, have eliminated the need in most cases - which is definitely a good thing. Normally I just don't apply them, although I did on Jabba's Sail Barge because it just looked unfinished without them. Given that's one of my favourite ever models and thus unlikely to come apart ever, I'm less bothered about it though.

I think my only set with a STAMP is the 80's airport (6392) where there's a signage sticker over three bricks. As they're just yellow 1 x 4s, I'm not that bothered, but it would probably frustrate me more on modern sets if I felt like there was an alternative.

I personally hate sets with regular stickers in general. I prefer them to be printed or at-least for the stickers to be clear (The ones that are like sticky water-slide decals, They last forever and never crack)

A good example for a set with prints is the 9497 Republic Striker Starfighter set (Brilliant set BTW) where everything is printed.