Sign in to follow this  
Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest #53: Chaos in Eubric

Yup. Care to trade/sell?

They're for sale at the Marketplace for 80 gold, but would you consider trading your Zoot's Cookie for it?

Atramor stuffs the gold down into his cloak, and is left holding the glimmering green jewel. It was a fine gem, but he already had a weapon with one imbued within it...he glanced over at Haldor, accepting the Aquamarine from Cronk.

"Care to trade, mate?"

They're for sale at the Marketplace for 80 gold, but would you consider trading your Zoot's Cookie for it?

Eh, I'd rather hold onto that. With your current class, I just wasn't sure if you had need for the gloves.

Haldor thanked Cronk, but held up the aquamarine to his eye.

"Thanks for the thought, mate, but I don't really have much use for this. Anybody want to trade something for it?"

Cronk thanks Alexis.

This for Bal. Cronk plays the flute. He tries really hard and though off-key, it almost sounds like an actual song.

Hmmm... Cronk could use some practice, Cronk supposes. Maybe it is thought that counts.

"Oh yes of course Nyx." Alexis hands her 30 gold. She turns to Dyric. "Would you be willing to temporarily trade my quiver for your die? I won't be able to use of quiver here soon. Of course I'd be willing to give it back to you whenever you'd like it." She grabs Arthur's hand and squeeze tightly, giving him a reassuring smile.

OOC: I totally had more than just one gem. :tongue:

I'm holding them, remember? I can hand them back once we get back to the Hall, it'll be easier that way. :wink:

Arthur dimly returned the smile, or at least tried to. I will be there for her, as long as she wants me. Every ounce of joy I get from her will be returned a dozenfold. That I swear. "I love you, Alexis. You're always good to me, even when I don't deserve it. Thank you."

Seeing Alexis passing Nyx Gold, Arthur accompanied the gesture. He had no words. None were needed. His demeanor told all.

A few days rest at Heroica Hall would do him and the rest of the party well.

One look at Hoke's face told Arthur everything; it betrayed the weariness they all felt. "Much has changed over the course of this single day. It will be months before we recover physically, and mentally, emotionally..." The unsaid portion of Arthur's statement was plain: ...mentally, emotionally, we will never recover. "I do not know where I will go, or how I will recover..how I may find redemption...but wherever I go, I want to be with you, Alexis." Arthur looks to the others. "I do not know how I will repay the debts I have incurred of all of you this day. But I pledge everything I am that I will find a way. I owe you. And I always pay my debts." Arthur turned his face, heavy-lidded eyes downcast. He caught his reflection again in Sir Roderick's sword, carelessly tossed to the ground beside him, and his brow furrowed, but he could not bring himself to lift his shame-filled eyes to the others. His self-hatred, skillfully buried for the vast majority of his adult life, had never been more evident than it was now.

She turns to Dyric. "Would you be willing to temporarily trade my quiver for your die? I won't be able to use of quiver here soon. Of course I'd be willing to give it back to you whenever you'd like it."

You've done well with my die, and that quiver looks pretty nice - but in all honesty, of all of us here I should think I need a little luck the most. I smile softly.

I then turn to face Arthur. I have noticed, however, that you seem to have a spare Amythest, Regulus. If you're not using it, could I have it, perhaps?

I then turn to face Arthur. I have noticed, however, that you seem to have a spare Amythest, Regulus. If you're not using it, could I have it, perhaps?

"This gem? If it were mine, I would give it to you in a moment, brother. But this belongs to Alexis, I'm merely holding on to it temporarily. It is hers to lend or sell, not mine."

Edited by Flipz

Arthur looks to the others. "I do not know how I will repay the debts I have incurred of all of you this day. But I pledge everything I am that I will find a way. I owe you. And I always pay my debts."

Brother, you are guilty of nothing more of falling for an illusion, of lies of Wren. It is how she worked, but she will work that way no longer thanks to you. You owe nothing.

Thothwick pocketed his new equipment. "The Sapphire is of no apparent use, but the gold will be useful. And how very thoughtful of Mr. Cronk to give me a relic from a Dragon..."

Hmmm... Cronk could use some practice, Cronk supposes. Maybe it is thought that counts.

"I'm sure that - wherever they maybe - they're very touched by the gesture, Mr. Cronk."

Arthur dimly returned the smile, or at least tried to. I will be there for her, as long as she wants me. Every ounce of joy I get from her will be returned a dozenfold. That I swear. "I love you, Alexis. You're always good to me, even when I don't deserve it. Thank you."

One look at Hoke's face told Arthur everything; it betrayed the weariness they all felt. "Much has changed over the course of this single day. It will be months before we recover physically, and mentally, emotionally..." The unsaid portion of Arthur's statement was plain: ...mentally, emotionally, we will never recover. "I do not know where I will go, or how I will recover..how I may find redemption...but wherever I go, I want to be with you, Alexis." Arthur looks to the others. "I do not know how I will repay the debts I have incurred of all of you this day. But I pledge everything I am that I will find a way. I owe you. And I always pay my debts." Arthur turned his face, heavy-lidded eyes downcast. He caught his reflection again in Sir Roderick's sword, carelessly tossed to the ground beside him, and his brow furrowed, but he could not bring himself to lift his shame-filled eyes to the others. His self-hatred, skillfully buried for the vast majority of his adult life, had never been more evident than it was now.

Alexis wraps her arm around him, and smiles again. "Arthur, I will always be here for you."

You've done well with my die, and that quiver looks pretty nice - but in all honesty, of all of us here I should think I need a little luck the most. I smile softly.

"Alright, it's yours to do what you wish with." Alexis gives him his die back.

I'm holding them, remember? I can hand them back once we get back to the Hall, it'll be easier that way. :wink:

Oh yeah. :wink:

"This gem? If it were mine, I would give it to you in a moment, brother. But this belongs to Alexis, I'm merely holding on to it temporarily. It is hers to lend or sell, not mine."

Ah. Well, in that case - would you be willing to part with that Amethyst, Alexis?

Haldor coughed noisily.

"Sorry, but I think I got buried there. Does anyone want to buy, trade or otherwise do a deal with this new gem of mine? I have no need to hang on to it."

I already have an aquamarine, and a water-element accessory. I might in fact be willing to part with my aquamarine, depending on the deal.

I offered my Emerald for your Aquamarine, Scorpiox. Guess you missed it. :tongue:

"Didn't see you there, Atramor, but anyhow, I'd be more than happy to swap this gem for yours. We on?"

Haldor holds out his hand to shake the witch's, confirming the swap of the nord's Aquamarine for Atramor's emerald.

"Aye," Atramor nodded, handing over the Emerald and accepting the ocean blue gem in return.

The battles are over, the dead are buried. The heroes head back into the city. They make their way down to the docks. There a ship awaits, a red hull, a dragon on the front. It is clear who it is for.

DSCN2072.jpg

DSCN0047_zps8979e993.jpg

"Lady Nyx, you have saved my life literally countless times. I cannot thank you enough. It saddens me greatly that we have lost so many along the way. I shall never forget the first time that you, Tarn, and Poletad came to save me from Sphinx on that hill. Now, only hours ago, we watched his demise below your proud city. You will forever be a friend of Dastan. Come visit us some day. The same goes for you, Atramor. Make sure that Tarn gets that letter, and give him my regards. Poletad, I am sorry for your lose. I wish there was more to say."

Mallelio bows to all the heroes and boards the ship.

DSCN2074.jpg

DSCN0044_zps5edb399a.jpg

"The battle was well fought and well won, heroes. I am tired for the first time in a long time. I think I will rest. Cronk, you saved me far back in the arena. I am not one for speeches, mushy or otherwise, but know this- a warrior's death is a proper death. I knew Felton and Hans as long as you did. I am struck by what Hans said to me when we first saw each other once more in Dastan. There are few things in life that are true joys. True, honest, loving allies are among them. He told me it was the only thing he was sure of. The only thing he believed in. He would have never thought twice about dying. He would do it again, as would I, as I'm sure all of us would. We see evil, we stop it. Have a heavy heart, Cronk, but not longer than you need to. And all of you heroes, remember what Mallelio said. You are always welcome in Dastan."

Vipera flies to lick Hoke's cheek, than Skrall's. She flies up high and hovers as Phil boards the ship. Her message is simple.

DSCN0139.jpg

<My heart is with you all, brave heroes. Until we meet again. And we will meet again.>

The ship sets sail. The heroes walk a few piers over and find a dinky boat heading towards the High Kingdoms. McColt pays his toll.

DSCN2079.jpg

McColt.jpg

"Heroes, you are very brave. You have served proudly. You saved my city of Haddon nearly a year ago, last winter. Now I have had the distinct pleasure of saving your city alongside you. Dyric, remember, if you ever head North, visit Haddon. I will be there. I have travelled to the Valley of Ennoc with you, and many places other. I have seen Eubric the ever changing city. Now, like Victor, I think it is time for me to return home and rest."

The heroes follow the hopping Poletad to the edge of Eubric. He looks out on the path. He, for the first time in the entire time the heroes have known him, speaks in a somber voice.

DSCN0144_zpsc61596a8.jpg

<Thank you for your words, Dyric. I travelled with Felton and Hans since you saved me in Haddon, Skrall. It has been almost a year. I grew to know them both very well. I remember one night, while we were sailing from Dastan to the Valley of Peace to meet you heroes, we all stayed up to talk. Hans didn't ever learn Froglish too well, but he still tried his best. That night he told Felton and I about his mother. He said that she believed that the world was a good place. He said that he had long thought that the bad had outweighed the good, but that he had recently learned that while there were more bad things than good... what is the saying? Quality outweighs quantity. He told us that he loved life. Felton sighed and admitted he did too.>

<After Hans fell asleep, Felton took me up on to the deck. We watched the water and the stars overhead. Felton told me he loved life. I understand now what it meant to him. I never knew- he- wasn't human. But I think in many ways it didn't matter to him. He told me then that he didn't ever try to spread anything. He just wanted to live life as it was. I don't think he spread Chaos, I don't think he spread Order. He told me something then, perhaps knowing what would happen. Let the past be the past, let the future be the future, live not it fear, for the present is beautiful. And so, as both of them would of wanted, I'm off to whatever is next!>

Poletad hops up, kisses Nyx on the cheek, then does the same for Skrall. He then hops down the road.

The heroes trudge into the Hall and are greeted by an irritated Scheherazade.

heroicanpc-scheherazade2.jpg

"Oi, its you lot. I haven't seen you since the day after Grogmas when you blew out our floor. Lucky for you the Hall has ways of repairing itself. Even so. Well, I suppose you'll want to retake your vows, and then you'll be wanting booze. Sit down."

She goes to get booze, but then looks back at them.

"Wren is gone," she simply confirms for them, and then walks off towards the bar. The heroes can finally relax.

[iNTERLUDE - GUFFINGTON MANOR]

DSCN2059.jpg

DSCN0114.jpg

"Are you still playing with your toys you're still playing with?!" demands U'Ordiussum.

DSCN0115.jpg

"It is no toy," says the matter-a-fact Sayyip, Doc Daneeka. "This is the personal project that Guffington asked me to monitor."

DSCN2060.jpg

DSCN0114.jpg

"Oh, yes, I know, I know. What does your monitor say? Please tell me there is nothing of import. I am so worried about Master Guffington as it is. I don't want him to fret. Let's not bother him tonight, whatever it is, he's already gone to bed so let's not bother him tonight."

DSCN0115.jpg

"There has been a dip. The energy is all gone."

DSCN2061.jpg

DSCN0114.jpg

"The energy... all gone? What does that mean?"

DSCN0115.jpg

"It means whatever the source of power has fled the city."

DSCN0114.jpg

"Oh dear, Guffington will not be pleased. He had such a keen interest. Do we have to tell him? He's so worked up all the time as it is."

DSCN2062.jpg

DSCN0115.jpg

"We will wait until morning. He will want to know. We may go on an adventure soon. You will need to pack your bags."

DSCN0114.jpg

"Oh dear, oh my, poor Master, oh dear oh my."

[iNTERLUDE - CONCLUDED]

[iNTERLUDE - BELOW EUBRIC]

heroica-darktemple2.jpg

heroica-darktemple1.jpg

heroica-darktemple3.jpg

DSCN0092_zpsebb35789.jpgDSCN0048-1_zps21383205.jpg

"On and on and on it goes."

[iNTERLUDE - CONCLUDED]

FIN

OoC: I'll be posting any and all side-quests tomorrow, along with character critique in the QM Lounge. Wednesdays are a busy day for me. Note that this does not include trades after final loot distribution, you may keep track of that for yourselves. :tongue:

The Party

6882536309_34131623d7_t.jpg

Cronk

Level 30 Paladin *Party Leader* *Counterstriking*

Power
: 46 (+2 due to cookies)

Defense
: 16

Health
: 48/48

Ether
: 8/31

Gold
: 232

Equipment
: Beast Skewer (Lance; WP: 12), Ennoc's Blessing (Shield, SP: 9), Paladin's Armour (Suitable for Paladins, +5 SP, +2 Max Ether), Counterstrike Gloves (After the wearer is struck by a Free Hit, they counter with strength equal to their level), Elaborate Helmet (SP: 2)

Inventory
: Zoot's Bane (Suitable only for Cronk; WP: 12, Light), Twin Broadswords (WP:21, dual-strike, user is unable to use a shield), Ennoc's Gratitude (Artifact, Accessory, User Perma-Blessed, Requires Light Weapon), Sword of Bashing (Longsword; WP:5), Bedroll, Shovel, Holy Bomb, 3 Stakes (WP:1 to each of them), 2 Remedies, Bennetton's Seal, Topaz, Health Core, 2 Lightning Bombs, Bloody Pointy Stick (WP: 1), Health Core, Phoenix Essence

alexisassassin.png

Alexis Fenral

Level 28 2/3 Assassin *Hastened* *Immune to Blinded and Fragile*

Power
: 37

Defense
: 3

Health
: 47/47

Gold
: 4501

Equipment
: Cat-o'-Nine-Tails (WP:9, damage divided between all enemies, Suitable For Rouges), Quickdraw Quiver (permanent hastened-effect), Ring of Sight (protects from blinded), Lieutenant's Helmet (SP:3, protects from fragile)

Inventory
: Mockthril Longbow (WP:14, ranged), Flute of the Magi (WP:3, asleep-effect), Diamond, Tonic, Mead, Venom, Fire Bomb, Lightning Bomb, Pickaxe, Shovel, Bedroll, Magic Compass, Magnifying Glass, Holy Bomb, 2 Remedies, 2 Somas, Carrot, Fifty Shades of Bley, 2 Lightning Bomb, Venom, 2 Health Cores, Potion, Grand Zoot Cookie, Phoenix Essence

copy_of_pict0550.jpg

Haldor Skovgaard

Level 25 2/3 Shaman *Immune to Weakened, Blinded, and Fragile* *Natural Respite*

Power
: 41 (+2 gloves)

Defense
: 7

Health
: 8/43

Ether
: 7/35 (+4 cloak)

Gold
: 254

Equipment
: Zoot er Isen (WP:14, Ice and Light Elemental, Suitable only for Haldor), Pugilist's Gloves (+2 Power, Weakened Immunity), Heavy Armour (SP:+5, Fragile Immunity), Ethereal Cloak (SP:+2, +4 Ether, Blinded Immunity)

Inventory:
Heavy Metal Rod (WP:12, Water Elemental), Bear Claw Gloves (WP:8, SP:+2), Paper Doll (Hexed immunity), Shovel, Pickaxe, Bedroll, Potion (x4), Remedy (x4), Venom, Scroll of Sealing, Aquamarine

5909627714_af21b5c29f_t.jpg

Nyx

Level 25 2/3 Battle Mage *Natural Respite*

Power
: 39 (+1 Heels)

Defense

Health
: 33/36

Ether
: 14/35

Gold
: 91

Equipment
: Zee Standard (Staff, WP: 13 Ice Elemental, Necromancers Raise Enemies with 2 extra levels), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Max. Ether +5, protects from sealed-effect), High Heels (+1 Power),

Inventory
: Book of a Thousand Creatures (WP:14, each roll has a 1/6 chance to summon a creature to aid the hero), Explosive Staff – WP: 12 (Does 1/2 damage to all enemies on a successful hit (normal damage to targeted enemy) and 1/2 WP damage to self on a roll of 4 (disregarding SP/row)), Dawnstar II (WP: 9), The Fishstick (WP:7 Double damage while on ships), Healing Staff (WP: 5), Ruby (Fire), Amethyst (Darkness), Topaz (Lightning), Sapphire (Wind), Emerald (Wood), Garnet (Earth), Aquamarine (Water), Diamond (Light), Opal (Ice), Potion, 3 Tonics, 2 Grand Tonics, Ether Core, 2 Bedrolls, 5 Bones, Remedy, Shiny Helmet (+1 max health), Monkey Bar (all minions, pets, summons etc are Hastened), Fire Bomb, Scrap Metal, Smoke Bomb, X2 (May be combined with a bomb to get it to ignore SP), Grand Zoot's Cookie, Sandman's Parasol (Immune to Asleep and Fast Asleep effects)

skrall_avatar.jpg

Skrall

80 year old Male Ogre Hunter

Level 25 1/3 *Favors Goddess and Beast Enemies* *Immunity to Fragile* *Natural Respite*

Power
: 32

Defense
: 8

Health
: 38/38

Gold
: 278

Equipment
: Precision Bow (WP: 6, Aims become hits), Hunter's Quiver (Bows and Crossbows +2WP, allows Hunters to favor two types of enemies, back wear), Heavy Armor (SP: 5, wearer is immune to fragile effect, body wear), Tricorne (SP: 3)

Inventory
: Hunter's Crossbow (WP:11, +4 vs. Beasts), Smoke Bomb, Grand Potion, Potion, Minimizing Dust, Lucky Doubloon (Grants "Special Guard"), Grand Zoot's Cookie, Topaz

7763856174_8a7636e4b7_t_d.jpg

Atramor Gibbin

Level 24 2/3 *Deals Badly Poisoned*

Power
: 36

Health
: 50/50 (+3 cloak)

Defense:

Ether
: 0/26

Gold
: 277

Equipment
: Ratsbane (WP: 10, absorbs 2 health on successful strike, fire, ice, earth, wind elemental), Witch's Talisman (Suitable for witches, Posioned Hits become Badly Poisoned Hits, accessory), White Cloak (Suitable for clerics, +3 maximum health, backwear), Counterstrike Gloves (When hit by a Free Hit, immediately deals damage equal to level, handwear)

Inventory
: Sword of Ancestral Hatred (WP: 6, gains 1 WP every kill made with it), Staff of the Elven Warlock (WP: 5, wood elemental), Heavy Flail (WP: 5, deals the Fragile effect), Topaz, Amethyst, Fire Bomb, Bomb XX (Deals 30 damage to all enemies and 10 damage to all heroes, all damage ignoring SP/row), Shovel, Pickaxe, Grating Stone, Health Core, Pongcanis Flail (WP: 6), Grand Tonic, Amulet of the Court (Negative Effects last one round), Emerald

ava-thothwick2.jpg

Thothwick

Level 23 Black Knight *Damage Undead* *Immune to Stunned*

Power
: 37 (33 Ranged) (+2 due to cookies)

Defence
: 10

Health
: 38/38

Gold
: 409

Equipment
: Banana Sabre (WP: 12, Heals Metasimians when used on them), Skull Shield (SP:6; immunity to darkness-elemental damage; suitable to Black Knights only), Black Knight's Armour (SP:4, protects from stunned-effect), Cultist's Hat (regular attacks do Damage to Undead),

Inventory
: Sabre (WP:10), Shuriken (WP 8), 1 Bedroll, 1 Telescope, 1 Potion, 1 Bone, Venom, 2 Health Cores, Grand Zoot Cookie, Saphire, Dragon Scale

hoke_ableword_1b.jpg

Hoke Ablesword

Level 22 1/3 Mystic Knight *Damage Undead*

Power
: 37

Defense
: 12

Health
: 15/40

Ether
: 1/22

Gold
: 233

Equipment
: Vintul (Great sword: WP 15), Steel Buckler (SP: 10), Warrior's Treads (SP:2, Health +1), Cultist Hat (damage vs undead), Chains of the Pongcanis Chief (Hero Pierces SP if fighting from Front, Enemies ignore SP if hero fights from the back row, cannot be removed in battle)

Inventory
: Opal, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Aquamarine, Amethyst, Diamond, Topaz, 4 Potions, Remedy, Smoke Bomb, Bedroll, Pickaxe, Shovel, Grating Stone, Nostrum, Ether Core, Fire Bomb, Scrap Metal, Ether Core, Grand Zoot Cookie, Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Weakening, Dragon Scale, Zoot's Plaything (Special 3/4 Edition)

Arthur_Sorcerer_Ava1.jpg

Arthur Justus Regulus VII

Level 21 2/3 Sorcerer, *Immune to
Sealed

Power
: 29

Health
: 33/33

Ether
: 21/31

Defense

Gold
: 1942

Equipment:
Sir Roderick's Sword (WP:12, Longsword), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Max Ether +5, Immune to
Sealed
), Scarf of Misfortune (
Wearer deals the
Jinxed
effect on every third round, accessory
), Jester's Hat (
Wearer may choose to gain one immunity from targeted enemy
)

Inventory:

Weapons:
Staff of the Cultist Battlemage (WP: 7,
50% chance of Fleeing upon being KO'd; suitable for Mages and Clerics
), Hollow Blade Dagger (WP:6, hollow-blade [nothing stored]), Staff of Ennon - (WP: 5,
Light
-Elemental, Restores 2 ether on a roll of 2, 3, or 4), Healing Staff (WP:5;
heals instead of damaging
), Healing Staff (WP:5;
heals instead of damaging
), Spider Leg (WP:8, doubled against flying enemies; spear; unsuitable)

Artifacts:
Ancient Crown (
First successful strike of battle deals
Cursed
-effect
), Cloak of Deception (
Free hits against the wearer have a 1/6 chance to be redirected to a random opponent
), Lens of Speed Reading (
Accessory, Allows a scroll to be read in addition to a normal action. Suitable for scroll users
),

Gems:
2x Opal (
Ice
), 2x Amethyst (
Darkness
), 2x Topaz (
Lightning
), 2x Diamond (
Light
), Garnet (
Earth
), Ruby (
Fire
), Aquamarine (
Water
), Sapphire (
Wind
)

Tools:
Bedroll, Telescope, Shovel, Magnifying Glass

Scrolls:
Scroll of
Blindness
, Scroll of
Confusion
, Scroll of
Sleep
, Scroll of
Frailty
, Scroll of Armor Sundering (
Reduces target’s SP by 5 and has a 50/50 chance of success
), Scroll of
Poisoning
(
Grants target’s weapon the
Badly Poisoned
effect for one battle at the cost of 5 ether
), Scroll of
Luck
(
Grants target the
Lucky
-effect for one battle. Costs 10 ether.
)

Consumables:
Potion (x2), Remedy, Noxious Venom (
When used on a weapon, the weapon deals the
Badly Poisoned
effect for the duration of the battle and the
Confused
effect for the next three rounds, for the duration of one battle.
), Zoot's Plaything

rone2.jpg

Dyric Rone

Level 20 1/3 Assassin *Lucky* *Immune to Bound and Slowed*

Power
: 32 (+1 due to cookie)

Health
: 1/32

Defense
: 0

Gold
: 3365

Equipment
: Briar Bow (WP: 11; wood-elemental), Loaded Die (permanent lucky-effect; accessory), Sticky Gloves (Increases amount of gold stolen by 50%; handwear), Winged Sandals

Inventory
: Double Chain Whip (WP:10), Throwing Knife (WP:4, ranged, retrievable), Longsword (WP: 3), Aquamarine (Water), 4 Potions, 4 Grand Potions, Elixir, 2 Remedies, Mead, 2 Venoms, Smoke Bomb, Skeleton Decoy, 2 Mythril Shards (2/4 of a Mythril), Silver Ore (Worth 60 gold), Bone, Grand Potion, Aqua Gear (Adds water-element to physical attacks and protects from water-elemental damage, accessory), Diamond, Phoenix Essence

Here I am being a studious little Zepher. The two (three) side-quests. Hope you enjoy them... I think they're in chronological order?

Side Quest #1 - Arthur's Demons

IN-CHARACTER ACTION APPROACHING!

Overwhelmed by the crush of foes, Arthur copies the stunt he had learned in Dastan--ironically enough, from a man who worshipped the god the mechanical monstrosities had been named for. Under the cover of the black smoke and his shimmering Cloak, Arthur swapped the Lucky Die for the Lens of Speed-Reading, and then used his Magnifying Glass to attempt to locate the exact spot of the Door to Chaos. Glancing around to make sure no one else was observing, he then expends as much Ether as necessary to drain the Spire's power into himself.

If we can't stop the Gate from opening, I'll be damned if I'm not the one to benefeit from it! :laugh:

Arthur uses his magnifying glass to locate the shimmering Chaos, hidden in the walls of the manor, built into them almost. It is strange, not exactly a spire... perhaps once a spire stood here, but when knocked down, it's chaos found a new structure to host it. Arthur creeps up and expends all of his ether attempting to drain the Chaos into him. His body begins to convulse. A chorus of voices scream at him. At different times, different ones seem louder, as if they are leading

"FOOLISH MORTAL. YOU PRESUME TO DRAIN THE POWER OF A GOD?! IF I WERE STILL THERE, I'D EAT YOUR SOUL."

"CHAOS CANNOT BE MASTERED. IT ALREADY HAS A-"

"IT ALREADY HAS A"

"FOOLISH MORTAL! DO YOU MEAN TO DRAIN CHAOS INTO YOURSELF? IT ALREADY HAS A MASTER. YOU ARE FOOL GREATER THAN-"

"YOU TOOK NO PRECAUTION. YOU MADE NO PLAN!"

"DAMNED BE YOU- SO LOYALLY ALL THESE YEARS! YOU-- THE CURSE WILL NOT."

"YOU ARE PUNY. DO NOT THINK OTHERWISE. YOU WILL PERISH WITH THE REST. THE LORD OF CHAOS LOVES NO MORTAL."

"A FOLLY MUST BE PUNISHED."

"A FOLLY MUST BE REWARDED."

"A FOLLY MUST BE PUNISHED."

"HEROICA WILL BE OURS TO EAT."

"YOU WILL PERISH WITH THE REST, WIZARD. YOUR DELUSIONS OF GREATNESS AND GRANDEUR, OR RIGHTEOUSNESS AND POWER- THEY ARE NOT THE WAY OF CHAOS. AND THEY WILL NOT SAVE YOU IN THE END. IN THE END THE WORLD WILL BURN."

"FREEZE."

"FRY."

"YOU ARE NOTHING."

Arthur stumbles away from the spire. He feels lucky to have survived, but cursed by the experience, but mostly he feels afraid. There is clearly much he has yet to understand.

Arthur, shaken by his encounter with Abraxas, Mephisto, and Marilith, takes a Remedy, and, after using his Telescope and Magnifying Glass to make sure the area is secure, he rests for as long as he is able (or at least until the rest of the party finds him), his dreams haunted by malevolent beings beyond his comprehension.

Partial regen, mayhaps? :grin:

Side Quest #2 - Nyx's Love Story

Nyx peels off from the other heroes, and begins to walk down the sewers. Vipera's voice rings in her head.

<The last time you faced XX like this, you were alone. I will not permit that again. I am here, brave lady, if you need me.>

The XX Sewer Party

5909627714_af21b5c29f_t.jpg

Nyx

Level 24 Battle Mage *Party Leader* *Immune to Asleep, Fast Asleep and Sealed effects* *Natural Respite* *Encouraged*

Power
: 38

Defense

Health
: 33/33

Ether
: 34/34

Gold
: 78

Equipment
: Book of a Thousand Creatures (WP:14, each roll has a 1/6 chance to summon a creature to aid the hero), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Max. Ether +5, protects from sealed-effect), Sandman's Parasol (Immune to Asleep and Fast Asleep effects), High Heels (+1 Power)

Inventory
: Explosive Staff – WP: 12 (Does 1/2 damage to all enemies on a successful hit (normal damage to targeted enemy) and 1/2 WP damage to self on a roll of 4 (disregarding SP/row)), Dawnstar II (WP: 9), The Fishstick (WP:7 Double damage while on ships), Healing Staff (WP: 5), Ruby (Fire), Amethyst (Darkness), Topaz (Lightning), Sapphire (Wind), Emerald (Wood), Garnet (Earth), Aquamarine (Water), Diamond (Light), Potion, 3 Tonics, 2 Grand Tonics, Ether Core, 2 Bedrolls, 5 Bones, Bomb XX, Spider Leg (WP:8, doubled against flying enemies; spear), Remedy, Shiny Helmet (+1 max health), Phoenix Essence, Monkey Bar (all minions, pets, summons etc are Hastened), Scroll of Frailty, Fire Bomb, Scrap Metal, Smoke Bomb

She rounds a corner and suddenly, in front of her, below the low hanging ceiling... is a group of Bombsters and Chimera Guards... led by XX. One of the Chimera Guards lunges at Nyx immediately, but it is incinerated before she can lift a finger. XX stands grinning, and tells the rest of his group to continue on. He will catch up.

DSCN2034.jpg

XX.jpg

"Well howdy there, Nyx. I was hoping I might run into you down here. It isn't the prettiest of places, gotta admit. I assume you've come to talk me out of opening that spire. I've got a few things we need to discuss before we got to that, though, if you don't mind."

"Sphinx. When you fight Wren, go easy on the fellow. I think she's laid a spell on him to make him work for her- he can still say what he wants, but his actions have gotta benefit her. I think. I've never been much good at all that magic mumbo jumbo. But point is, out of all those folks who employed me in Dastan- Blackenord, U'Vires, Lyons.... he was the only one I actually liked. So if you can, spare him."

"Secondly, you know I never ever squirm out of a job. This spire is where my contract expires, once I open it, I'm paid and free. Tell me why it wouldn't be a good idea, Nyx, and tell me well."

OoC: Nyx's Love Story! Aaaaaawwww! :wub:

Plus, Power should now be 38 and Health should be 34/34.

Nyx hears Vipera's thoughts and feels bolstered by the support. "I'm hoping I won't need you, sweet dragon, but I am grateful, definitely." She keeps moving, mildly disgusted by the filth, but determined. As she walks round a corner she sees more people than she expected, but as the smoke clears from the evaporated Chimera Guard.. there he is. Something inside her soars, her mind goes blank and she can't even think of what to say to him, but he starts speaking anyway, giving her time to compose herself.

"Uhm, hello XX. I specifically came here to see you. To talk to you. About the spire."

She can feel herself starting to blush; she didn't expect to react this way. She draws in a breath and tries to focus on business.

"Obviously."

She's almost rolling her eyes at herself.

"I've not come here to fight... unless you make me.. of course."

Another deep breath, she looks up, deep into his eyes.

"I know you stick to a contract when you take it, and I respect that, I really do. But have you wondered why this is your last contract? Do you know what Wren intends to do?"

She searches his face.. maybe there was a flicker of uncertainty there?

"XX, Wren is planning to destroy the world. Sounds a bit over the top, and she wouldn't see it that way, but it's unfortunately true. These spires, even this one, they strengthen the beast she is summoning. She plans to call forth Zoot and usurp him, and send all of Olegaia into Chaos. Frankly, if she achieves that..."

She's still looking at him, her eyes locked on him. She moves forward, resisting the urge to reach out and touch him.

"If Wren achieves that, we'll all be dead. Your reputation will mean nothing, because there will be nobody left to notice, and you and your reputation will have ceased to exist. That's why this is your last contract, because nothing you do once you've done this will matter to her, to anyone. XX, you can't blow stuff up if there's no stuff in the world left to blow up and no you to do it."

She just wants to reach out, touch his face, feel him.

"We're trying to close these spires and weaken Wren's beast. We're trying to stop her from bringing about Armageddon. Will you help us?"

She looks pleadingly at him, actually wanting more than she's asking for.

"Will you help... me?"

XX.jpg

XX smiles and runs his hands through his hair, but his eyes betray his answer even before he says anything.

"I can't flip, Nyx. It's not because of Wren, or my contract with her. It's because, well, would you still like if I did? Would anyone still like me? It's not so much about getting hired again- though make no mistake, that is part of it- but its also, how could I live with myself? This is what I do, Nyx. If you give up what you do, you've got nothing."

"As for the whole Wren Zoot plan, you can't honestly believe that. Wren won't succeed. She just won't. Look at yourself, and look at her. She's cunning, she's smart, sure enough, but she's insane and what she plans to do is impossible. Most importantly she doesn't have any allies, any true allies that want to see her succeed. You'll crush her, and if you don't, someone else will. If I thought there were a real threat... opening spires is no harm. This city was built on Chaos, according to Wren. Anyway, point is, I pick my contracts, and if I thought you or your organization were really in harm, I wouldn't have taken this one. That being said, as soon as this spire is open, I'm leaving the city. Just because I have faith you'll survive and kill her doesn't mean I don't think its going to get ugly."

"But enough of that. You knew before you came here I wouldn't budge, so it's not what you're here for. You're here to fight me and my minions, right? Is that what's going to happen? Or will you stick around, let me finish my contract, and then we can go meet your friends. I can even take you out of the city if you like, but I doubt you'll break your contract and stray from your quest. So, what will it be? Fight us, or come with us?"

Nyx listens to XX and feels a heaviness in her heart. He didn't see, and he didn't realise. And she didn't know how to make him.

"Of course I would still like you if you turned away from this, and you ask how could you live with yourself for not destroying the spire? If you believe it is the right thing to do, then I don't see how it would affect you. You would live with yourself knowing you had done the right thing. I'm not asking you to give up what you do, I'm asking you to just not do this one thing. You'd still be you, you'd still be the bomb expert you are, and your reputation can withstand this."

Nyx sighs shakily. This is starting to hurt and her emotions are swimming. She has made herself so vulnerable for this one man and ...

"I am not going to fight you; I haven't come here to fight you and I won't attack you, but I will defend myself if you make me. I did think you would budge, that's why I came, and I, foolishly, thought you would at least consider it - if I asked you."

She's trails off, her voice small now. She looks into his eyes again, searching for .. something.

"I thought I saw some good in you. I thought I felt it too. Everyone tried to tell me this was a fool's errand, a suicide mission, yet here I am. I do believe in you, please don't ruin that. Is there nothing I can do, nothing I can say or give you to make you change your mind? Please XX, please."

As she pleads she thinks about one of the last things he says: to run away with him! Is that what he offered? She... couldn't but.. was that what he'd said?

Nyx listens. Each of the options given cut deep, but when he says he's leaving the city, that cuts through her most of all. This isn't what she thought it was.

She paces, unafraid to turn her back on him - partly because she trusted him and partly because it didn't seem to matter anymore. Had she got what she came for? No, and very much also no. She turns to face XX, trying to hold her composure, cursing herself for feeling so weak and tries to keep her voice even as she speaks.

"I've said I'm not going to kill you. I... just can't."

She pauses, drawing breath to steady her voice, parts of her mind screaming at her.

"If I try to take on your companions I will die, and that won't do anyone any favours. I'm good fighter,I know that, but even with help I think that would be the true suicide mission."

Another pause, another breath, a few more paces. She must not let the tears come, she must do her best not to show how much this is hurting her, how much turmoil there is inside. She looks over her shoulder at him; he's relaxed, almost carefree. There will be mixed reactions if she turns up with him at the barracks - she can just say it was for the present, people would easily believe that, but that was such a minor concern right now. She closes her eyes. This is the only feasible option, and it gives her more time.. with him.

"I will come with you. I don't believe you or your minions will attack me if you say so. I trust you. Whether I should or not remains to be seen."

She summons the inner strength to look him in the eyes once more, but it's hard to concentrate with so much screaming inside her head.

"Lead on."

OoC: Trying to pace it so that you'll get out of the side quest at approximately the same time as the others. I've made the mistake before of making side quests rocket by (because we can respond to each other so quickly), and then the player has nothing to do while everyone else catches up! Even so, you'll probably finish before them. Keep roleplaying though, I love XX and I love Nyx, and this part of the story is all pretty on the fly, so let's see what happens!

XX.jpg

XX smiles and begins to lead her through the running water. These parts of the sewers are surprisingly clean, which is good, because the water is high.

"You think I'm a monster, don't you, Nyx? A gold hungry monster. And I'll tell you a thing or two- I am. I told you when I first met you, in the marketplace in Dragonclaw, with the frozen crowd- you remember it, don't you? We fought after Wren left. I told you I only worked for money, and I told you all later that I never break my contracts. And that's true. Those are my rules to life. I have stuck by them and I will stick by them. And do you want to know why?"

XX pivots and stares at Nyx. She nearly bumps into him and his big cocky grin. His eyes burn brightly. Nyx, not for the first time, gets the sense that he burns in a way that she does- from within.

"Nyx, I'm insane. Not right in the head. I have too much emotion in some places and too little emotion in others. I've been told, and because I lack the emotion of caring for certain things... I don't care. I don't care that I'm not built right. Because here's my secret, Nyx. I think we're all not built right. I think that we're all a little screwy, and the ones who are super screwy are just better than the ones who aren't. Your Felton, he's built screwy, he doesn't trust anyone but himself, but he's wicked smart, smarter than many other people I've met. Sphinx is stronger than nearly anyone I've met when it comes to practicing that thing you call ether, but somewhere he lost personal ambition and even personal preservation. Adversely, Wren is built with way too much ambition, and she's the other person I know who's got ether out the side. She's smart and cunning and also one of the smartest people I've ever met, but she was built with too much sadness, and too much love for beauty and the world. And you know, that broke her more. That usually happens- the things that break us keep breaking us more and more as we grow. Does that make sense?"

XX continues to grin. His eyes remain bright. Nyx isn't sure if he's blinked the whole time he's been talking. He is more enthused than she's ever seen him before. She recognizes the look on his face. He is in love with what he's saying. This rush of words and the idea it embodies is what he loves in the world.

"Nyx, I'm very broken. And I love it. I love it so much. But I have to be careful. I know if I allow myself to break more and more, I will break so much that I'll stop enjoying it, and I'll start really destroying myself. I think I destroy myself the right amount now. I'd love to go ahead and blow up my friends and those damned machines with you, but if I allow myself too, I'll just stab you in the back too right afterwards, and then whoever I betray you for would be next. Nyx, you and I are broken in many the same way. We enjoy destruction. I don't know about you, but I enjoy it in all ways. I enjoy watching a marketplace burn as much as I enjoy seeing a person realize they've been outsmarted, out gunned..."

XX stops talking and his smile flickers slightly.

"The one thing I can't abide, however, is sadness. It's the one thing in this world that somehow was built into me, and that I despise. I hate it. In myself, in others. We should all be wild and happy all the time- but we ain't. So my rules are built there so that I don't make the people I ally myself with sad, and so I don't make myself sad. Wren is very sad. Did you heroes know that? She's one of the saddest people I know, and for some of the most noble reasons. She just thinks the world is so beautiful in its chaos, she can't bear the idea of leaving it. Have you ever had a real talk with her?"

And now XX's smile jumps back into place and he steps forwards a little and cradles Nyx's face with one of his hands. She has forgotten how strong he is, his arms are huge and muscular from carrying bombs, and he smells always of chemicals and burning and sweat.

"Don't be confused though, Nyx. My rules are for my protection, but they are not the only things I enjoy in the world. I enjoy drinking, and I enjoy talking to people when they are raw or drunk and can't hide their emotions and their deformities, their own brokenness. I think fire is pretty, and I really honestly think that Dragons are majestical creatures, and I'd really like to ride one some day. I really like being alive, and I have self-preservation out the wazoo. I enjoy travel, new lands- I really like inventing new and more powerful bombs, can't you guess? I truly do enjoy Chaos as well, in moderation, and I like pretty ladies."

XX lowers his head a little, and tilts her's up so that they stare into each other's eyes- she can feel the breath from his nose on the bridge of her nose. They are that close.

"But more than anything, Nyx, I love- do you remember what Wren said when we all first met in Dragonclaw? We gave you all a fighting chance- we unfroze you. Wren came to me with the idea, and I agreed. I like a good challenge more than anything, Nyx. I like destruction second most, but destruction of someone who can't fight back- what's the point? Where's the validation? Nyx, what I really really love is someone who is equally likely to destroy me as I am to destroy them. That's the true majesty in this world. Forces, exceptional forces, burning each other down until one shines more brightly than before, and one is extinguished."

XX leans forward slightly, Nyx is sure he is going to kiss her, their lips come so close there is nearly friction, but he turns away smartly and begins to march back down the sewers.

"So, come along, let's see this door of chaos."

OoC: Long ol' post. Wren, XX, and Boomingham are my favorite to write... and I'm afraid it shows some times. Sorry!

XX smiles and begins to lead her through the running water. These parts of the sewers are surprisingly clean, which is good, because the water is high.

Nyx follows XX, listening, and mostly thinking her replies in her head, unsure whether she really is just walking into a terrible and cruel trap. She wonders if she should stumble just so he can help her up, but really that kind of trick wasn't for this type of guy. He might help her up, but she'd look weak, and she isn't weak, and he knows that.

"You think I'm a monster, don't you, Nyx?"

No, I don't. I think...

"A gold hungry monster."

Nothing wrong with wanting gold, wouldn't mind a bit more myself.

"Those are my rules to life. I have stuck by them and I will stick by them."

Commitment could be seen as.. attractive. As is determination.

XX pivots and stares at Nyx. She nearly bumps into him and his big cocky grin. His eyes burn brightly. Nyx, not for the first time, gets the sense that he burns in a way that she does- from within.

Nyx could have sworn he did that deliberately, not that she minds. His voice is intoxicating, and the longer she spends in his presence, the more she wants to touch him, even if just by accident, like that. The more he grins, the more she feels her heart beat stronger, the flames inside soaring bright.

"Nyx, I'm insane. Not right in the head."

People have said the same about me before..

"I have too much emotion in some places and too little emotion in others."

Uhm.. and I could agree with that for myself too..

"I think that we're all a little screwy, and the ones who are super screwy are just better than the ones who aren't."

... I think that's a compliment. Maybe. Does he know just how screwy I am?

"Wren is built with way too much ambition, and she's the other person I know who's got ether out the side. She's smart and cunning and also one of the smartest people I've ever met, but she was built with too much sadness, and too much love for beauty and the world. And you know, that broke her more. That usually happens- the things that break us keep breaking us more and more as we grow. Does that make sense?"

No. If she loves the world so much she should save it, not break it. And what is breaking me? Because something is.

XX continues to grin. His eyes remain bright. Nyx isn't sure if he's blinked the whole time he's been talking. He is more enthused than she's ever seen him before. She recognizes the look on his face. He is in love with what he's saying. This rush of words and the idea it embodies is what he loves in the world.

"Nyx, I'm very broken. And I love it. I love it so much. But I have to be careful. I know if I allow myself to break more and more, I will break so much that I'll stop enjoying it, and I'll start really destroying myself."

It shouldn't matter; no regrets. You do what your heart tells you, no matter where it leads, even if it is to one's own destruction. That's the fire, the passion, the fury.

XX stops talking and his smile flickers slightly.

"Wren is very sad. Did you heroes know that? She's one of the saddest people I know, and for some of the most noble reasons. She just thinks the world is so beautiful in its chaos, she can't bear the idea of leaving it. Have you ever had a real talk with her?"

Nyx speaks out loud for the first time: "No" she says quietly, answering the last question "and I don't know if I want to."

And now XX's smile jumps back into place and he steps forwards a little and cradles Nyx's face with one of his hands. She has forgotten how strong he is, his arms are huge and muscular from carrying bombs, and he smells always of chemicals and burning and sweat.

She drinks in the sensations; his touch, his smell, just as intoxicating as his voice. She feels the slight roughness of his hand, yet placed so gently on her face. The fire burns even more strongly inside her.

"Don't be confused though, Nyx. My rules are for my protection, but they are not the only things I enjoy in the world. I enjoy drinking, and I enjoy talking to people when they are raw or drunk and can't hide their emotions and their deformities, their own brokenness. I think fire is pretty, and I really honestly think that Dragons are majestical creatures, and I'd really like to ride one some day. I really like being alive, and I have self-preservation out the wazoo. I enjoy travel, new lands- I really like inventing new and more powerful bombs, can't you guess? I truly do enjoy Chaos as well, in moderation, and I like pretty ladies."

"We have similar interests, then." she manages "not entirely identical, but.. similar enough." for what? Similar enough for what? What are you thinking?

XX lowers his head a little, and tilts her's up so that they stare into each other's eyes- she can feel the breath from his nose on the bridge of her nose. They are that close.

She looks up, and only sees his eyes. Everything else in the world fades away into insignificance. She is losing herself. One small thought at the back of her mind whispers that she could snap his neck like a twig right now, but that too fades and is buried by soaring emotion. She wants him closer still.

"Nyx, what I really really love is someone who is equally likely to destroy me as I am to destroy them. That's the true majesty in this world. Forces, exceptional forces, burning each other down until one shines more brightly than before, and one is extinguished."

Oh. And, yes. And I think he's going to kill me. And I'm not sure how much I care.

XX leans forward slightly, Nyx is sure he is going to kiss her, their lips come so close there is nearly friction, but he turns away smartly and begins to march back down the sewers.

"So, come along, let's see this door of chaos."

Nyx gasps, almost inaudibly as he turns away. She stands still for a moment, a cold hand gripping her heart, her heart that had been burning so fiercely. She has no choice but to walk after him, she has set herself upon this path, and she must follow it, wherever it leads.

"Yes, I think I'd like that, XX." she says, marching after him and thinking over all that she has just heard and experienced. She should have a long, hard talk with herself.

OoC Not as long as your post, but I wanted to work in her reactions to certain parts. I don't mind long posts at all, and I want to see where this all goes. :thumbup:

XX is silent for the rest of the very short trip. Soon she sees ahead of them the part of Bombsters and Chimera Guards that she and he let go before them earlier. They all stand on edge, but XX immediately waves them down.

XX.jpg

"The lady and I will be opening the door. Stand back."

XX takes Nyx firmly by the hand and then reaches forward. She feels power course through her... and then her vision explodes with an overwhelming sense of- light? darkness? She cannot tell. There are voices all around her, speaking in unison, speaking alone, she cannot tell, it is all overwhelming.

"WILL YOU DIE LIKE A HERO-"

"YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, YOU WHO SERVED ME ALL THESE-"

"WE HAVE A NEW VISITOR."

"HELLO, YOU TWO OF FLAMES. HAVE YOU COME TO FEED ME YOUR SOULS?"

"FEED ME YOUR SOULS."

"STEP BACK. THESE TWO ARE MINE."

"YOU CANNOT COMMAND US, BROTHER, YOU WHO STILL-"

"-US, BROTHER, YOU WHO STILL SLEEPS."

"BACK I SAY. HELLO. NYX AND XX. YOU HAVE COME TO OPEN ANOTHER DOOR, HAVE YOU?"

Nyx tries to respond, but she can't feel her mouth's muscles any longer. She can't feel her body any longer.

"YOU ARE CHILDREN OF THE FLAME. I AM MASTER. I AM YOUR MASTER. HOW IS IT THAT YOU TWO CAN DEFY CHAOS, WHEN FLAME IS JUST THAT, HEAT- POWER-"

"POWER-"

"QUIET!! BE STILL. WE ARE OF THE FLAME. WE WILL WATCH THE WORLD BURN. THAT WILL BE OUR TESTAMENT TO ZOOT. WE WILL WATCH OLEGIA BURN. THE COURT AND WREN AND THEM ALL, THEY ARE BUT PUPPETS IN OUR GAME. FIRE CONSUMES ALL. ANOTHER DOOR IS OPEN-"

Suddenly all sensory cuts out for Nyx. Her brain goes blank....

OoC: I'll have you rejoin the others soon!

Side Quest #3 - Arthur and Wren

Arthur awakes from his nap refreshed, and sees Felton studying the city map intently with Passion, Vipera, and Mallelio.

"G̺͙͖̮̣͇̳r͖̤̻̮̯á̞y̛͖̜̝̳̹ͅͅ ̷͇̰̤̗̟W̛̹̱̱í͚̞͍̮̺z̧̪̠̰͈̟̺a̫̤͎̙ͅṟ̻̞͎̀d͖̖̥.̺͘.̪̥̞̞.̖̳ P̨̛͙͓͕̟̳̦͓̫͖̞͇̺̫̦̪̗̪ͥ̽̽ͯ̓ͥ̍̅̒ͪ́á̸͊̾ͣ̋̉ͨ̀͏̢҉̱̟̰̣͍s̶̸̜̥͙͈̦̩̩̠͇͍̰͖͗̎̆ͬͮ̉̇̕ͅs͂̐ͦ͗̐̎͗ͦͧ͢͝҉҉̥͍̖̯̥̝̰͚̱̻̼̮͓̘̻̹̩̼̫i͎̝̻̣̳̮̱̼̘̙̲̗̜̜̬̤̟ͮ̿̒̾̈́̓̓̐ͧ́͘͝͞ơ̸̴͔̞̮̦̭̾͗ͫ̅͝ͅn̸̪̻̭͇̱̣͕͖͓̣̼̲̺͎̤̖͍̱͗ͪ̊̿͆̔̈̄ͯ̒ͬͦ̓͒͑̑ͭͥ̕͡͝.̥͈͚̱̭͉̠̪̠͍͇̰̲̣̼̼ͤ͐́̋̕͢͠.̷̸̧̖͚̹͚̳͉͚̜̹̠̮̯͍̘͓̘ͪ͛ͧ͋͆̚͘͠.̮͎̣͙̞̠͎̠̫̺̆ͬ͐̽͐̐ͭ͗ͦͧ͂ͣ̑ͨ͆ͣ͐̚͢͡ Th҉ere ̀is ̨s̢omȩth̡ing ̛I̡ ̴mus͘t͠ ̧know͢.̛"

"D̢oes͢ ͢t̵he͘ ҉L̸a͢d̷y's͡ pl̛an h͢a͟v͠e͏ ͜me͡rit͘? ̡Ćan̡ ͟s̨he ̛rea̕l͜ly̧ b̨e ̢s̨ucc̀ess̛fu͝l̷ ̴i͝n ́usu͞r̛pi̕ng Z͠oot́?̡ ̕A̶n͠d̶ i͝f s̸o̷.͢.͜.y҉o҉ų k͡n҉ow͏ h̵e҉r,̕ P̶͓̘̤̘͖͙̓͌́̍ͬͯ͛̀̚͜͢͠a̡̧̰̘̠͓̣̳͔̰̞̙̗ͯ̊͌̆ͩ͂ͫ̄ͮ̔̃̀̀͟s̢̛̪͇̻̜̥͉̱͎̲̖̩͉̞͈͐ͨ͆̔̋̿̊̊̉̊͊̓ͪ̓s̶̨̻̟͔̗̲̬̪ͦ͆͆̉̍͐̄͌ͫ̒̾ͯ͐̉̓̑̀͞i̸̸̤͍̖̣̭̠̭͈̫̎̌ͤͭ́̾ͧ̃̒͒̑́ͬ̈ͩ̿o̷̡̧̹̻͕̦̖͉̣ͤ̈́̊̒͂̑̇̄͐̀̽̉ͥ̏̃ͯ̚͠n̺͇̲̹̰̟̼͇͚̮͕̙̞͙̖̺̥ͥ̽͊̈́͌̈̍̑̈́̕͞--ẃoul͘d̛ she ́t͝ru͡ly͞ ̕be ̀a ͠w͢or̷se͡ Go͏d́ ̧of Chaos҉ ̴f̕o͞r̕ ͟t̀hi̡s̶ ͜worl̷d ̨t̷h͏an ̴t̴he Forsakéņ ́O̡ne̡ a͝lre͡ady̡ i̢s̀?"

He rubbed his eyes and turned to Vipera and Mallelio, his speech gradually becoming more normal, though the voices of Chaos still rang beneath his words. "A̩̻̯̜͙͇̫n̳̳̘̭͈d ̬̱̠͍͎ẉ͔h̙̹a̫̰̞̘̭t ͉ͅi̼͍̩͇̠͍f͙͚ ̦̲͍̻ẉ̠̘̠̲̙e̞̜͈̦̥̗ ̲̮̥̪̟̳̩a̟r͍͙͎̰̪̣̖e ̲͍̯a͇̺͈l̲̬̥r̩͎͍͙̳͚e̥a̤̼̩͚͚͎̮d̼͉y̜ ̗͔t͓͈̱̺̲o͉̰̣̰ͅo ͔̪̮̫̦l͉a̮̯͕t͓̯e̘͙̹?̼̙̪͈̣" ̰͔̱̞ ̮̰̲̲

"S̥̲̥͈o̗̞̣̘m̟̠ḛ̩͕t͖͖h̠̼͉̙̱i͕͍n͖̠g̗̫̫̘ ha̺̙s̝̦͖͇ ̰c̟h̖̙͍̪̱͈a̬͕͔̳̞̹ng͓̯e̦̟̹͍͚̲d̺̭͎ ̯i̹n̝̳̳͈ ̰̞͕̞̼͙̗t̯͙͉̹̗̱ͅh̠̤͍i̫̼s̮̺͇̖ ͈c͖͍͈͚i̠͔̮͇̝͓t̙͎̼͉̞y,͇͇̬̗̫ ̩͈͕I̝̰͖̠͉͇ ̥͔͎̖̤̜̫c̟̖̬̹a̪̠̭͔̩͚n̯͓̖̟͔ ̥̦f̝̗̺̠͙̝̦e̦͎e̥͓̮l̦̬̫͇ ̝̪̹̙̟̦i̭̼t͈̜,̻̙ ͕a͖͚n̟͔̺͈͔d͓̫̲̼͈̦̦ ͚͍͍I̦̭͈ ̠̩̙͈̩̻̯k̬͙̭n̰͔͍̦o̪̳͙̻̺̙w̬̭̻̖̗ ̦͎̤͓͇y̱̞o̺̭̺̞̘̞̲u̞̫̤̫ ̗͖̣͖̟̬̯c̺a̬̯͉͉͙̜n̪,̭̖͍͙̱̺ ̜̝̼͇͖̦̼t͇̭̻̬̦̙o͔͕̪̻͕̣̦o̻͚,͚̞̳̝ ̭͇̫̯͓͈V͇͕͇͕͎iper̺̖̳͈a.͉̺ͅ

̦͓̗̫H̠a͍̤̦͉̟̖̟s͍͈̥͎̟͍ͅ ̯̥̪̱t̞̤͓h̹̭e̘̤̝̤ ̱̘ba̰̳͉t̪t̠͕̰̺̹ͅl̮̜̞e͖̟̜̳ i̱͖ͅt̬̤̩͍̹͍s̩̬̯̰͙̜e͇̥lf̩͖ ͍̰̜̼t̙͓̘̲͈a͉in͓̟̺͙̩͉ṱ̥̲̦͎̰̞e͎̻̻͈̼̤ḍ̱̣̙̙ͅ ̥̤̩̮͎̗̲ț͚̠h̜̥̭̯̳͕e̤̜̰̬ Sp͍̠͎͇̝̘͇i͚̘̖r̫̰̥i̦̬t̟ ͚̣͙͙̭̫P̭̫̲͖̯oo̫̝͍̞l̖̜̲̼̱s̘̺̮̫ͅ,̗̥͚̪̪̖ ̤̮̺̳̞r͇͔̖e͔̥g̬͈͎a̺̰̮̥r̟͍̜̫̙̳d̯̥̥̭̝l̻̤̱͕̞͎e͕̞̭͍s͉̱̠͈̖s͎̹͎̫ ͈o̰̳̘͎̩f̝ ̳t̪he ̪f͈̲͖͓ḭ̗̗̖̰͓̙n̗a͔̲̥͈̻̗̖l̰̹̝ͅ ͓͉̱̰o̺u͈̦͔͕̣̝t̮̲̯͖c̮ome͈?̬̤̳̭͔̺̥ ̖̻̼̺̟͕̩ ̟͚̠̳̠W̟̼ͅh̰̠at̺̼͈ ̩̠̘͍̖̩̗i̞͉f͉̺̯ ̻̥͖̥̞͕̗o̖̭̤ͅͅu̠͕̼̩̹r͚̻͈̙ o̰̣̣͓̤̗w̞̹̼̰n̻̼̮ ̖̗̣̝̣e̘̤̺̗f̪̗̪ͅf̘̼o̱͈r̹͍̪̠t̖̰̰̘̳̝s

̻̫a͎̟̹̙r̠̯̜̖̙̬̘e͖͍̪̪̱ ̞m̙͈̺̗͚o͓͍̹͕r͚͖̣̹̪e͓ͅ ̼̪̼̪͚̫d͖̭̪͕̝̳̻a̦̫͇̣̜̘n͎̩̤̥̩̻ge̖͉͔̹rọ̘͙̱͙͓̖u̯̪s͍͎̪͖̫̞ ̯͈t̫̬̻̰͍͈ͅo̙͚̗͍̼ ̘͔t͔͓h̻͍͈̳̫i̬̥̱̲͙̪s̯̻̲ ̩̦w͈̙o̫͈͈r̟̠̟ld̝͇̘̪̲ ͎̟͙͇͍̥̞t͉̝͈̬h̬a̗̜n̹͉͖̘ͅ t͓̱̘̤̲h̘e͙̜ ̭̳͇e͎̯̟̤̤̗n͎̞e̦̰̣͇̞̖m̫̰i̠̩̦͇es͇͓̘̺ ͚͕̥w̠͚e ̜̤̦͉̝͉̜f̻͕̳̰̻̰ig̦̮ḥ͖͍̼t͓̺͍̞ͅ?̰̝͔̲"

For ease of reading: "Gray Wizard...Passion...there is something I must know." "Does the Lady's plan have merit? Can she really be successful in usurping Zoot? And if so...you know her, Passion--would she truly be a worse God of Chaos for this world than the Forsaken One already is?" "And what if we are already too late?" "Something has changed in this city. I can feel it, and I know you can, too, Vipera. Has the battle itself tainted the Spirit Pools, regardless of the final outcome? What if our own efforts are more dangerous to this world than the enemies we fight?"

Arthur sighs. "I̞̣̺͈̖̜ͅ ̘̬̣̭t̮h̬͖̹͍͚o̫͇u͔̙̰̭̞g̰̰̤̙ht̯̙̯̣̹ͅ ̣̫t̯͚̥̟h͎̫͕̦͈̹͎e̯ ̯̥͚͖a̪̗n̞s͉̣̯͈̲w̙̜͙͔͎̹e͇̤r̦̫ ͓̬̠̗̗̥ͅm̪͈̟̺̩i̫̻̦͔g̺̩̲ͅḥ̗̙̭t͔̮̥ ͔̣͖̤̤̮b͚̹̰̗͇e̬̖̲͕͙̙ ̱̮͖͍͍̘s̼̻̖o̲͓̱ͅm͎͉e̼̺̘̘̞͔͉t̝͇̦h͚̮i̗n͈̳͙̥͙g ̪̙̺̘̤lik̘̲͉̲̥̰̮e̲̩̫̹ ̯̱̭̺ͅtha̰̫̮̰͈̥ͅt̞͕ͅ.̼̘̳͚ I̘̞̼ ̳̟̘̺̥̝g̼ͅueͅss̼̜̪ ̝̙t̫̘̫h͚̟̗a̭̭̻t͔͉̹̯ͅ'͕̜͚̮͇͕̣s̭̟͇ ̬̻̱̦̙͍̳w̩͎̲̰h̻y̜̰͇ ̣̱̰̬̤̙n̮͍̫̺̟o̖̝̙̯̲ ͚o̼̰̫̣̫n͎̙͚̥e̙̰͍̰'͓͇̭͈̠̤̼s̩̫̣̘ ̖̯̣͎m͈a̩n͇̹̭a͓̦̠̯̫̬g̬̤̞̗̗̱e̦̞̜̳d̖̩̱̥̱̫̙ ͖̮̦t̟̣̦̳͕̫o̫̳ ̺̖͓̟͈̟o̭̠̺̯̗f̹͖̭͔f̺̲̭͔̞̘͎ ͔̭̭̱y̝̘̮o̻̞u̫̗̗̟r̩̱̭͙̬̤̞ b͓̟͇̬͓ͅr͈̖̥̩̲o̰͍̜̯ṱ͉̪̮̬̰h̫͇̬̱̤ͅe̹͙r̫̙̟̠͙̺̩ ̻̪̣͇̟y̜͍͎̮̹et͈̳,̤͉̯̤ ̤̬͇̝̻̦P̜̥͓͔͓ạ̫͕s̳s̬̭io̖̟̪̖n͙̯̤͙̤̭-͍͇̟̘̬̣̜-̙̖

ṇ̰̰͔̫̟̟o͉͎͇̟̝ ̤̺͇͈̹̰̲o̺̫f̺͇̺̹͉̬͙f̲̗̞͍e̘̫͇̖̫͓n̹̠̬͚̙̫s̺͙e̖̫͈̭ ̤i̟͇n͉͍̹̩̱̭ͅt̠̠͔͍̠̙ͅe̝̟̜n̖͓̤̼̼͕̙d̤ḙ̞͈͚d̪̭͙̬ͅ ̬͎t͙̳̱͇o͉̲̪͙̝w̦ar̜̥̯̙̦d̜̦ ͔̺̹ͅy̤̟̲̩͖͕̜o̼̩u͖̙͖͇̝͚̳,̬̟̝ o̳̤̺̠̱͕̺f͎̳̤̫̭̩ ̠͚͖̠̞̲̦c̦o̱͖̱͙͓u͕̜̬̦̠̟̟rs̞̳͍e̗̬.̘̯͉͓̯"

"T̞̲̲o̥̲̺͙ ̯̬̖a͚͙̩̠ͅͅn͓̣̬s̘̬͓̠̱̝w͙̥͓̖̥̼̖e̘̫͓̝̝r͖̼ͅ ̬̲̥̥̼y̖̺o̭̖̭̙͓u̮r̙͍ q̭u͔͉̥es̪̘̻t͚̙̭i̬o͖̠͍ṉ͇,̱̼̝̗ ̣̬̲P̹̙͖͚a͖̻̗̻s͔͚s͍i̪̪̖̗o̘̮̹n̖͖̦̱̲.̫̻̼ͅ.̜̳̘͇͍̠.̺̱̞̳̬̖̲I͖̹̙̮͕̺̤ ̬tr̭̯̺ͅi͓̱͉͓͖e̠͔̭̮d̪̟ ̫̮t̩̤̝̰̟o ̳̭̩̟̼͕d͎͔r̭a̯͉̩͈͍in̬͕͖ t̟͚̖̩̹̰h̠͉̬̺͔̹e̻̤͔̭ ̫e͖̱̱̭̟̣͙n̖̥̮̬e͔r͉̤̣̰͚͉͙g͓͖y ͙̥̞of͈̲̙̻̭͚̜ ͍̜͓̳̙ṭ̗̭̭̬h͙̖e͙̘͚̤̲̩̜ ̩͎̜̗̬S̤̠̙̺̤̘͖p͍̫̤i̼̭̭̱̪͖ͅr̺̯̳̠̼̰̼e̟̹̗̝ͅ ̯a͍͚̩̮̱t͇̠͙ ͚͚̗͈G̯͙u̻̬̪f͔̪̜fi̠̼͍̤n͉̙̹͇g̲̳͙t̙o͔̰̹̩n̬ ͇͚̯M͇an͇͖̹ͅor̼." Upon his admission of guilt, Arthur's voice at last reverted to its normal tone. "I thought that, if we failed defending it, we could at least use its power for ourselves, instead of letting Wren have it. But the demons...Abraxas...Marilith...Mephisto...they inhabit the Spires. Abraxas rewarded me for my pride with the Luck of the Spire, but Marilith laid a curse upon me, and Mephisto...suffice to say, I have never felt such fear in my life."

"I thought it was a good idea...denying Wren her strength. But now..."

"We--Heroica, I mean--has fought Wren for so long. It just seemed we were doing right. I mean, she's done such terrible things, we can all attest to that. But then again...so have we."

Arthur walks for the door. He pauses with the door half-open, framed in the doorway. "I don't know. I just' don't know who's right anymore. And I have to find out...no, I VOW to find out...before it's too late." He looks to Vipera. "Call if the Heroes--no, call if Alexis needs me. Or Dyric. The rest can find their own paths. I need to seek mine." With that, Arthur closes the door behind him, and wanders out into the city streets. He has no particular destination in mind, but finds himself drawn in the general direction of the Sewers--the portion none of the Heroes had chosen to defend.

Send Arthur where you want him, whatever would be most interesting to roleplay with. :wink:

(Then there's a bit of OoC where I tell Arthur he needs to navigate the sewers on his own if he wants to do some free-play :tongue: ).

Arthur heads to the section of the Sewers the Pongcanis Warriors were heading toward.

Looking around for other clues, Arthur sits down and takes the opportunity to carefully study the Chaos leaking through the stones with his Magnifying Glass. As he looks, he meditates on the nature of Chaos, of Wren, of himself. What was he fighting for? Chaos? Why was the force he had come to revere governed by beings so horribly twisted from its proper purpose? And why did the beings he thought would be furthest from him in philosophy turn out to be those most close to him in goals? Most of all, he meditated upon the future. What awaited him? Wren? Eubric? He had seen the vision in Ennon, heard the message that his destiny awaited him here just as much as Wren's awaited her. But what was that destiny? To defeat her? To outdo her? To join her?

He sighs. "Why must my visions fail me when I need them most?" He resumes his studies, even pulling out the Plaything he had stolen from Skrall for comparison, hoping for something, anything that would reveal some new piece to the puzzle.

Ah, what the hell, I'll throw you a bone, I've got an hour or so to kill.

Flipz leans in close to the Chaos, hoping to see something in it, but a reflection he catches in his magnifying glass stops him cold instead- a face- he turns slowly.

There, alone, stands the Dark Lady. Her serene calm smile, confident and calm, conflicts greatly with the turmoil that he can see clearly lurking behind her eyes. Playful and dangerous, happy but tortured, the lady is as inscrutable as ever. Her expression hardly changes.

DSCN0048-1_zps21383205.jpg

"Hello, Arthur. It seems time that you and I have a talk. Our adventures on the same plane are drawing to a close. As a fellow Chaos User, I have a few favors to ask you before I go. But, as Arthur learned in that Library in Dastan, as the Master of Regret plays his games, as the Magician and Zane live their lives... I play tit for tat. I have favors, you have questions. Are you prepared for an exchange?"

"I am prepared to live with the consequences of my curiosity, my Lady. What favor do you desire of me?" He winces slightly at his slightly unfortunate wording, but does not attempt to correct it--he remains firm, resolved to move forward.

"My dear Arthur, if I succeed, which is likely, or if I fail, which is likely, I won't be living on this mortal realm much longer. I wish to tell everyone here that I have enjoyed my time with them more than I could have possibly imagined. To Passion, should he survive somehow, tell him I'm sorry for Bal and Triad. They fed him well, and more importantly, we both loved them. Vonnetate will be punished for Triad's death. Tell him I'm sorry about Sasha too. That's one message, now you may say your bit."

Arthur nods. "I will do so. I can only hope someone will do the same for me when my time on this plane runs its course."

"My Lady, I wish to know of your intended reign. How would Wren, Goddess of Chaos be different from Zoot, God of Chaos, and how would they be the same? You know I seek a Chaos that infuses the world, where the world and Chaos are bettered in their union, where all may be united within the beauty of Chaos. In the coming battles...which side leads me closer to that fate, towards my one solid Beacon in the Gray despite all that has transpired these past few hours--yours, or Zoot's?"

Wren shakes her finger.

"Naughty naughty. One question at a time, dear Arthur."

"They'd be exactly the same. Except that there'd be more Chaos, because I'd be better. And best yet, I'd be in power, and he would not be. Or maybe he would be also. I guess I'll just have to see." She shrugs.

"Now, I get another turn." She winks. "To McColt, Hans, Felton, Mallelio, and even little Poletad, I'd like to say thank you. Pretty clever, isn't it? One message, two words, totally different meaning to everyone. Now you get to go."

Arthur nods again. "Very well. What are your plans for the Court of Chaos?"

"The Court of Demons, I'll presume. I have no plans for them. They're relatively unimportant to me as of now. Zane will do whatever he does, I think. He isn't a Chaos User, and as far as he's indicated in the short time I've known him, he doesn't care either way about my fate. Mephisto and Zee will most likely be killed by your compatriots and yourself. Thank you for that, by the way. You never do stop assisting me. I had no doubt I could overcome them- and they did do me a service by opening a few gates- but I would have to knock them off eventually because of the demons in them and all that. I don't think they were hugely in love with my plan, the little monsters."

"Now, on to my message to the heroes, yourself included. I want to say thank you to all of you. I don't care what your beliefs are. Cronk with his quiet black and white morality, Nyx with her dear true passion for fire, Skrall with his poor lost soul- I love you all. I really do. I think the world is beautiful because of Chaos, and you are all Chaotic. I know some of them will take that as a slight. I know they will. But I do not mean it that way. They are all so unique, each and everyone. And tell them I hope that there's no hard feelings over trying to kill them, and vice versa. It really wouldn't have been as beautiful if we had all played nice. Tell Nyx that XX got that part right. Oh, and wish them luck. All of them. No matter what happens to me, be I goddess or not, I hope you all find something you find so beautiful, you wish you could experience it forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever. Now, your final question, my dear, and our game is over. This may be the last game I get to play, you know. Sometimes beauty makes you sad, doesn't it?"

"It does, sometimes." Arthur sat in thought, long and hard, pondering what The Last Question would be. At last he answered. "My Lady...after this is all over, whichever way it goes...what is your advice? That is to say, your advice for the future, for the ages, for all?"

"When you want something, you seize it. Now, I have an appointment with Passion. I'll see you later, Regulus. Remember what I have said."

Wren disappears in a cloud of purple smoke, and Arthur is left alone in the damp sewers.

"Yes...yes, of course..." Arthur takes off on foot for the Barracks.

Just an FYI so that it doesn't look like I am trying to cheat, but I was given a Zoot's Cookie and not a Grand Zoot's Cookie and have said so several times, and it's been overlooked or ignored. Either way, since it hasn't changed, I guess I will keep it as a GRAND Zoot's Cookie. Extra BONUS!!! :tongue::laugh:

Also, I have Ether core listed twice in my inventory. Does that mean I have 1 or 2?

Thanks for the quest Zepher!

Edited by UsernameMDM