... and I hope you enjoy the forum; and please, share your experiences and Lego train interest with our EB train community here.

-TheBrickster

Hi there,

I guess I missed this entirely, all my fault, sorry. Should have introduced myself earlier.

Started with building bricks in 1965 - TLC's #323 train was my first set - apparently Santa was the one who started it all. A couple of years down the road I had a bucket full of LEGOs; that was it for many years - money was short at that time. But it was fun to create stuff - regardless of "theme" - well there were no themes back then, just blocks.

And then other things became more important. But, I'll never forget that night at Target in Tustin CA, 1998. We moved from Northern Germany to SoCal over Christmas, the UoCalifornia had a very tempting offer in '97 and they luckily hired me. It was late, the girls where not happy and then it happened: I saw that box. The Mindstorms box. I assure you there was light from above illuminating that box - and I was just staring at it. For a long time. $199. That was a huge amount of money for a first year assistant professor moved to the US with his family - you bet. Guess what: They all agreed, my wife, the two girls and - me: We needed to have that box at home. That re-started my LEGO frenzy ...

My idea is that of my past: Build what you can imagine. Trains obviously are my #1 theme, but I love to do what I see fit - 6-, 7-, 8-scale, PF, 9V or whatever, Technic stuff along with Ben's 23 and Mr. Crabs restaurant, powered from a Scout, RCX or PF thingy. It is so cool to see what others did and just come up with the weirdest ideas.

The EB train forum is simply along that line: Superb MOCs, wonderful ideas, chit chat, and upcoming-model-frenzy. It doesn't get much better. In addition, I think this website is very well managed - by a lot of dedicated folks who just do a wonderful job. And, I think we train heads are very, very lucky to have the Brickster around as top-manager!

Great to be here, great to have you all around, and keep up all that beautiful work!

Thanks a lot, and greetings to you all,

Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

Well thanks Toastie. :blush: That's very nice of you to say. Our EB Global Moderators and Admins are always close by lending a hand to our forum's success (as well as others). Just look at the wonderful and generous Container Raffle led by CopMike. :thumbup:

Plus, our forums are successful because of members like you and the rest of our superb LEGO fan community. It takes a village. :classic:

I hope you continue to enjoy the forum.

I am an older builder just jumping back in after a long absence.

Growing up I had two rails of Lego track (the blue plastic ones) and always wanted more. Looking back on it I am amazed how many adventures my brothers and I made with just two track rails for all those years. How did I never manage to get any more? I guess when it came to the very rare opportunity to be buying bricks we always chose more traditional sets.

Now that I'm older (older is not adequate... How about older++?) I am enjoying purchasing what I want.

Now my only limit is time. Hopefully plenty of that in my future.

Legos were a big part of my youth. I am enjoying my time getting reacquainted with them.

I am an older builder just jumping back in after a long absence.

Welcome to Train Tech Pingles. Older builders are certainly welcome as there's a few more of us who remember the blue track era (just wish I had a few trains from that time). I hope you enjoy the forum and feel free to share any of your creations or interest by way of a topic. :thumbup:

Hi,

Long time fan of Lego, relatively new to Eurobricks, member of the Norwegian AFOL group Brikkelauget (www.brikkelauget.no)

Started to build with my brother early 70ties, Dark ages from mid 80ties until 2001-2. Has since developed a large collection of bricks, main interest is train and city related stuff.

Plan is to build the Flåm- Myrdal railway, which is one of Norways railway gems with a stunning 827meter climb from the fjord until the mountain in just 20km. This will also incorporate a fun exercise and childhood dream of building a Lego mountain with tunnels and all. I am pretty bad at taking pictures of my creations, but have included the Oslo tram that I built a few years back. It sits in front of "Stortorvets Gjæstgiveri" - an old restaurant/bar in Oslo.

I own most of the trains from the blue 12V period, some from the light gray 12V period, some of the nicer 9V trains as well as all the latest RC/PF trains, although I prefer to build MOC replicas of real trains.

Gladif I can join your group.

post-16054-130039710397.jpg

Happy building,

Baard

Glad if I can join your group.

Absolutely Baard. Glad to have you and I hope you enjoy both Train Tech and the other great EB forums. Welcome! :classic:

Growing up I had two rails of Lego track (the blue plastic ones) and always wanted more. Looking back on it I am amazed how many adventures my brothers and I made with just two track rails for all those years. How did I never manage to get any more?

Hi Pingles,

sorry to bump in here, this area is more suitable for moderators, but your message is ringing a lot of bells ... so I take the freedom of replying.

So you wonder why the two track rails were enough? Well you don't really, but ... hey, maybe because you and your brothers have it? You can just dream up your LEGO solutions without going nuts on bricks? This is what LEGO is all about!

Now that I'm older (older is not adequate... How about older++?) I am enjoying purchasing what I want.

Now my only limit is time. Hopefully plenty of that in my future.

Time ... Every single minute you spend with imagination and creation (and share) is worth so much more than just the minute. Others may want to learn from you. Your minute is a minute times all the folks learning.

Good to know that wisdom is around!

All the best,

Thorsten

sorry to bump in here, this area is more suitable for moderators...

All are welcome to respond to any of the new members T. :thumbup:

Hello everybody,I just done my "Introduce yourself" post,and wanted to register as a Train Fan also. I always wanted a Lego train as a kid(early 80's),But I suppose the expense Back then was not in my parents budget(they did do a good job of supplying me with smaller sets though).And as I grew up I lost my Lego habit,But have now returned,and am stunned by the detail and smooth look of all the recent sets(kills me to think I missed out on the 9v era).So,I'll try and post a couple pictures of what I have gathered so far(Thank goodness for Bricklink).Anyway, I love the site and look forward to communicating with all the other members. Thanks.

I love the site and look forward to communicating with all the other members.

Welcome Stacker. It's great to hear that you like our LEGO Train community and I hope you continue to enjoy the forum.

Also, I love that alpine mountain scene. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

Hello all. I've been a member here for a long time but I was very young back then. I turned 18 this past week and got some nice new lego sets.

My first Lego train was the railway express. Since then I've gotten quite a few including the BNSF,TTX well cars, The Santa Fe set..The two most recent car train sets and the Emrald Night. I also have 3 metroliners and hope to get a Maersk train soon.

I've been a train fan all my life and have a job lined up this summer with a shortline railroad so.. yeah, that's about it. See Y'all around.

Hi all, Think I will register for the train forum.

Well I started with Lego Trains in 2004 when I was an avid Harry Potter collector and got the motorized Hogwarts Express. I had previously had the 4708 Hogwarts Express but Id no track or motors. I was actually 11 at the time and I had really planned out my system, I bought switching track & curved rails to create a loop on the layout, I bought the pack of train windows so the old hogwarts express carraige would have glass panes in it like the new carraige and the train accessory pack to put proper wheels on the 4708! I loved it so much I bought more straight & curved rails & A cross track to expand my layout.

I fell into my dark ages for a few years and then I returned to Lego in late 2008. I started by changing the train to the power functions system. ( My train is out in a shed so I didnt have much options). Last year then I was delighted when I found the diamond crossing in a shop in Belfast & added it to my layout. I also bought last year, switching tracks & the new Level Crossing. This year for my 18th birthday I bought the emerald night & the new 7499 track pack. I made a whole new layout susequently. I did not motorize the emerald night as at the time 80002 was not avilable and I find the recahrageable far too dear. I will motorize it later in the year though. I may also buy the cargo train and further expand the layout. My layout is simple and basic. It is nothing like some of the amazing layouts I have seen on here. But you never know, through time...

KIERAN2400

A big welcome for both Brenden Perkins and KIERAN2400. I hope you both enjoy Train Tech and our EB LEGO Train community.

Please add me to the "H's". (henryhotspurs)

I love Lego trains. It's obvious that everyone else here does too. Most of the stories about coming out of the their individual "LEGO dark ages" mirrors mine. Living in the U.S. desert southwest,has added lots of lore and history to my fascination with trains. Especially, if you are, like me, a Native-American (White Mountain Apache).

Not all of the history was good, but it left an indelible mark on my childhood. Hearing stories from the "Old Ones" about Geronimo's trip to the railhead in Holbrook, Arizona, and the incoming troop trains always fascinated me. The Old rail station and "Bucket of Blood Saloon" in Holbrook are ripe for MOCing. I have MOCed a couple of BNSF, GP-38's in the Warbonnet livery for my own railway, and will MOC the Warbonnet livery into a Maersk copy! Eventually, I'll MOC that old saloon and maybe even the Flagstaff, Az. passenger station.

Additionally, I married into a "railroading family". I have a brother-in-law and nephew working for the Santa Fe Railroad, an Engineer and Train-master respectively. Naturally, old time locomotives and western era rolling stock are my favorites, but they are followed closely by the BNSF and Super Chief kits.

I love this site and try to get here once a day at least. Thanks for reading my missive!

Michael

Edited by henryhotspurs

Hello everybody! I've been here a while, but never really introduced myself. LEGO trains are what brought me back from my Dark Ages in 2006. I have 7897, 7898, 7997, and now, (I'm proud to say) 2 copies of 10219! So, anyway, hi!

I love this site and try to get here once a day at least.

Welcome Michael (HHS). That's great to hear and I hope you continue to enjoy our Forum.

I've been here a while, but never really introduced myself. LEGO trains are what brought me back from my Dark Ages in 2006.

It's never too late Jay.

LEGO Trains (and Wild West) brought me out of my Dark Ages as well (the MyOwnTrain collection). I've been going strong since and over the last few years, it's been great to see all the fantastic trains LEGO has been offering. Glad you took some time to introduce yourself and train interest.

Hope you both continue to enjoy our LEGO Train Community. :thumbup:

Hey I'm Finn, I live in the north west USA. I got interested in Lego trains when a friend told me about his new 7730 set. I have the 10133, 7898,7897 and the new 10219. I hope to get the new trains of 2010 and 2011 also. Sadly I fell on the 7898 and it broke all inside the couch so I guess I am one off.

Well I hope to be indexed.

-Fuzzylegobricks (Finn). :classic:

Edited by Fuzzylegobricks

Hi,

I'm Mathijs, I'm from Holland, and com-ple-te-ly obsessed with LEGO trains, I myself have the old railway express and passenger train 7897.

They are both moc's now, and I bought another separate 9V motor for moc use.

Mathijs

Hi, I am Manitoba Moe and I am addicted to Lego trains, well at least the cool looking ones. I have always loved them but as a kid, the money was tight and i could look but never afford them. I am making up for lost time by slowly buying the sets i find cool or that fit in with my town. It really helps to have a loving wife that actually enjoys doing this with me and puts up with the large investment.

Welcome to EB's Train Tech forum Mathijs-T and ManitobaMoe. Train fans are always welcome.

It's always great to have those understanding wives and/or other family members who understand our hobby. In any case, I hope you guys enjoy the forum. :classic:

Greetings all, I suppose I too have a train story.

I grew up in the 90's and started collecting Lego city/ train sets, nothing else. I only collected Hot Wheels, Matchbox, and Lego. For my 13 birthday/ Christmas (2 weeks later), my parents bought me 4569 Cargo Railway, 4555 Freight Depot, 4552 Cargo Crane, and 2150. I set it up in my 'Lego Room' with my small collection of city sets. I collected steadily until I was a sophomore in HS. I picked up the large green MOT w tender and all cars except the hooper and tanker. I was lucky enough to get one of the limited SF Super Chiefs. Around 2004 I stopped, cold turkey. My last set was a gift from my youngest brother for Christmas. Set 7994 Fire Hovercraft.

About five in a half years later, I was back in the world of Lego. I came back a little late and had to start getting sets from eBay. I started off with the E. Night, BNSF and TTX sets. Then I went back to extending my other trains. The 'Hornet', Metro, and MOT all doubled in length. Unfortunately, I don't have any room on the track to run them, until I can get a bigger room. Every so often I buy a retired train set or a bulk of straight track (if the price is right) off the Bay. Now I have a s**t ton. 92 sets and growing with only 4 PF. I stay full throttle on trains! :classic:

Hi LGG. Sounds like you've got quite a train collection. I think I'm up to 13 now (engines and/or engines with trains) with the Maersk being the latest. Personally, I like the new Maersk a lot, but I would also love to have some of the old 12V sets. They take me back to how I admired them as a kid. I have a little display on my wall with some of my favorites (like SFSC and the BNSF). The Maersk is running around my Train Town at present; usually the latest train gets to run the track, while the others stay on the book shelves.

Here's the last picture I took with the only thing missing being the Maersk. Now I want to add a harbor for the new City Harbor sets and the Creator Lighthouse.

traintown7.jpg

In any case, welcome and feel free to share a picture of your collection. :thumbup:

Brickworld 2011 is coming up, prepare for some freakishly awesome pics from it!!!

Not sure what your comment has to do with new train fans introducing themselves here?