CM4Sci

LEGO Castle 2013

I have used the siege engine in my Battle of Mpya Stedor (flickr - eb post) and I really wondered how the minifigs could handle that giant thing :laugh:

Well of course, a few of them stand on top of eachother and press down from above.

I think... :look:

Well of course, a few of them stand on top of eachother and press down from above.

I think... :look:

Or a jester midget runs on top of the catapult and jumps everytime on the end to push it down. Is also possible :laugh:

So far what I'd like to do is get one of each set, multiples of smaller sets, and maybe more than one castle. I want to piece together a few minifigs from various collectible figs and other figs to create an aristocratic council of lords (replacing the king) that will rule this new nation to arrive in my LEGO universe. After they destroy the new dragon knights, they will shift their focus to the other nations on my shelves in my LEGO universe. :tongue:

I am holding out hope that the castle has SOME kind of modularity. That gatehouse has to connect to something, as there are pin holes on the bottom on each side and further up the wall as well.

The castle looks especially great and beautiful, but I can't see myself getting all of the others. It is really interesting how after collecting for a long time you end up with so many factions and kingdoms. it still never gets boring. :classic:

DaMaximus, your picture is impressive !

To be honest, my wallet is I am really happy the new castle theme will come out in August and not earlier :laugh:

I am holding out hope that the castle has SOME kind of modularity. That gatehouse has to connect to something, as there are pin holes on the bottom on each side and further up the wall as well.

I have studied all the pictures, and have concluded with 99% certainty that the castle IS indeed modular.

http://www.hothbricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/lego-castle-2013-70403-dragon-mountain.jpg

If you look at the side of the castle on this pic, you will notice a double dark grey slope. That right there is the point where the tower disconnects from the rest of the wall. And if you look at the gatehouse, you will notice the same dark grey slope.

If this is correct, this would also mean that it is possible to move the backside tower to the front, which imo creates a much more impressive (and symmetrical) looking castle.

Here's to hoping future Castle waves will include more of these modular sets.

Edited by lego tripper

If you look at the side of the castle on http://www.hothbrick...-du-castle]this pic[/url], you will notice a double dark grey slope. That right there is the point where the tower disconnects from the rest of the wall. And if you look at the gatehouse, you will notice the same dark grey slope.

If this is correct, this would also mean that it is possible to move the backside tower to the front, which imo creates a much more impressive (and symmetrical) looking castle.

Here's to hoping future Castle waves will include more of these modular sets.

Sorry to break your dreams, but starting from 2007 Castle every next castle was modular and we had max only one additional set for every theme that connects to the castle. (ok the Fantasy era castle had 2- harbour and tower if I recall corectly)

Edited by Lordofdragonss

What I like about the Kingdom's castle was the fact that the two rear towers were actually enclosed rooms with doors and decorative windows. Also, one had a nice roof and the other was a great turret on which someone could stand upon. The new castle has open towers that are pretty bland.

With the Kingdom's castle, you had a nice set of stairs to get up to the ramparts, whereas the new castle has a ladder. Yes, your majesty, you must climb the ladder to get to your throne, which by the way is not an enclosed throne room, it is wide open for an enemy archer to pick you off. :tongue:

Now granted the Kingdom's castle actually had no way up to the throne room, but at least the throne room wasn't below the jail cell like in the new castle.

I do love the drawbridge mechanism in the new castle, though.

What I like about the Kingdom's castle was the fact that the two rear towers were actually enclosed rooms with doors and decorative windows. Also, one had a nice roof and the other was a great turret on which someone could stand upon. The new castle has open towers that are pretty bland.

With the Kingdom's castle, you had a nice set of stairs to get up to the ramparts, whereas the new castle has a ladder. Yes, your majesty, you must climb the ladder to get to your throne, which by the way is not an enclosed throne room, it is wide open for an enemy archer to pick you off. :tongue:

Now granted the Kingdom's castle actually had no way up to the throne room, but at least the throne room wasn't below the jail cell like in the new castle.

I wonder if the room above the throne in the keep is actually a jail. If you look at some of the other angles of the castle I think the jail is below the rear right tower in this photo

http://www.flickr.co...57632677753378/

You can also see there is stairs leading up to the battlements in this photo

http://www.flickr.co...57632677753378/ so the king would have a way to get up to the throne room because it's on the same level,

I don't know about the ladder tho. It's strange that they included that lol It looks like it's just hanging there.

I also think the drawbridge would look better with chains.

Edited by AlphaQuad

Yes, you're right! Good on LEGO to include those stairs!

I saw that weird cage in the corner before, but I don't understand its use quite yet. Perhaps that is the dungeon, and that room at the top of the tower is locked because it contains some secret. :wub:

The stairs are a good feature. Something that lego often forgets about.

I like the more spartan, military style of this new castle, the last one had several design flaws that would have made it easier to assualt :classic: .

Ummm, excuse me, are we looking at the same castles? The Kingdoms castle's throne room was WAY more open than the new castle's-- open on three sides, two of which are facing out in any configuration. In contrast, the new throne room is open on one side, facing in. In that respect this castle's throne room is superior to either 7946 or 7094.

For that matter, looking at that image of 7946 again, it seems that ALL of the towers are open towards the rear of the castle. As far as I can tell, this new castle is much more logical-- the towers are only open towards the inside of the castle walls.

Also, are you sure the room above the throne room in the new castle is a prison? I was interpreting it as a treasure room (the one the bad guy in the set seems to have stolen the key for), and I can't find any pics that give a really good look inside.

On a side note, looking at that pic I linked above as well as some of GRogall's pictures of 7946, I can't help but notice that its prison had a wall that broke away in a way that is even more egregiously unrealistic than the pop-out panel on the new castle. I had been a huge fan of 7946 despite not owning any Kingdoms sets, but I'm starting to understand why some people's best defense of the new castle is that it's "not much worse" than 7946. Many of the oddities of that set are the same as or worse than the ones in the new King's Castle. Which isn't to say I think either one is a bad set.

Edited by Aanchir

Ummm, excuse me, are we looking at the same castles? The Kingdoms castle's throne room was WAY more open than the new castle's-- open on three sides, two of which are facing out in any configuration. In contrast, the new throne room is open on one side, facing in. In that respect this castle's throne room is superior to either 7946 or 7094.

You are excused. :tongue: I honestly don't know how someone comparing the two castles couldn't see how the throne room in 7946 is far superior to the new castle. The openings in 7946 are for playability. If ANY throne room was completely closed, how the heck would you get the king in there, rip off the roof? 7946 had a couple of nice windows facing the front. The new castle has the king sitting in what could be described as more of an open air alcove than a throne room. He has to tip toe in there around that ridiculous ridge, otherwise he'll fall back down to the ground floor. I would have preferred a throne room like 7946 where the back or sides were open to get him in there, but he was at least protected from the front.

As for the rest of the towers, it is no comparisson. Obviously they need to be open for playability, and them opening from the back is preferable because when you look at the castle from the front, as I am sure no one displays their castles facing the wall, you can see all of the glorious detail. The towers in the new castle are extremely underwhelming. They have openings, but that is it. 7946 had nice doors that created actual rooms.

Despite all of that, though, I will end up buying more of this castle line than Kingdoms. Mainly that has to do with my current financial stability, but also because I have a castle collecting urge, and this new line is not by any means horrible. I just think when you put the two castles next to one another, I prefer 7946

Edited by Kliq

I think 70404 will be a great castle. It has a gatehouse and the keep is pretty cool. I agree that the upper level with the door is probably a treasure chamber. I also just realized maybe the ladder next to the keep is the one the dragon knight used to get to the treasure lol. I'm sure there will be a lot of play feature. For example the catapult on the front tower looks like there is a mechanism to fire it. Again I still wish the drawbridge had chains instead of string. Hopefully stickers will be minimal just the brick pattern on the towers. More soldiers defending the castle would be nice. I have a feeling the set might come in at $89.99 which would be nice. I'm going to guess an estimated piece count of 900+ Also aside from the wall panels there are no pre-fab battlement pieces

Edited by AlphaQuad

I would say that upon seeing final pictures, there are no glaring problems or cause for outrage. While there may be some disappointment in Heraldry or design style, and this is a departure from Kingdoms, these are still sound sets, which are aimed at a younger target audience.

For example the catapult on the front tower looks like there is a mechanism to fire it.

Yes, you are certainly right about that. It'll be interesting to see how that works. The only issue I might have with that is the fact that the mechanism will be taking up some space below the tower.

More figs would be nice, but I am so happy about the forest ambush having two figs from each faction, which is just wonderful for army building.

Yes, you are certainly right about that. It'll be interesting to see how that works. The only issue I might have with that is the fact that the mechanism will be taking up some space below the tower.

More figs would be nice, but I am so happy about the forest ambush having two figs from each faction, which is just wonderful for army building.

4 mini-figs and a dog! Can't get any better than that :)

This may sound like a stupid question, but is the Castle's gray the same gray of Kingdoms? I mean, are the wall pieces the same gray of Kingdoms?

This may sound like a stupid question, but is the Castle's gray the same gray of Kingdoms? I mean, are the wall pieces the same gray of Kingdoms?

It looks the same.

Speaking of gray, I do notice that the wall panels are plain in that there are no stickers. Is it possible that the model was put on display without wall sticker decals? Another point is that there is way too much blue. Even the catapult on the front tower has two blue pieces holding it down. It just looks odd and would of been better if they were brown. A trend i see Lego continues with is having the edges of the top half of the castle surrounded by a line of bricks that are one brick tall. When a minifigure stands he is quite visible and vulnerable. it would of been better to make it two bricks tall instead.

Speaking of gray, I do notice that the wall panels are plain in that there are no stickers. Is it possible that the model was put on display without wall sticker decals? Another point is that there is way too much blue. Even the catapult on the front tower has two blue pieces holding it down. It just looks odd and would of been better if they were brown. A trend i see Lego continues with is having the edges of the top half of the castle surrounded by a line of bricks that are one brick tall. When a minifigure stands he is quite visible and vulnerable. it would of been better to make it two bricks tall instead.

I believe ther are a couple of stickers in the tower panels.

I believe ther are a couple of stickers in the tower panels.

4 visible stickers on the model, 3 on the front left tower, at least 1 on the back right tower.

And I like the amount of blue, although not realistic by any stretch, it works when displaying factions against each other. If you don't like it, replace it with the appropriate colours. I intend to pick up 2 or more and replace the blue of one with dark green, and put my Kingdoms guys in there.