CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Okay y'all, I say this all the time, but based on last year, July is the month for LEGO Hobbit news. Last year, not only did we get the rumore set list in July, but the figure pics and a set pic (from SDCC).

I can't wait to get my Orthanc. And yes, I will certainly take all day to build it, and that is intentional. Having my kids help sort and place the bricks and pieces. Making sure our hands are washed frequently. Most importantly, savoring every moment and enjoying the precious time building with my girls.

That will be a great day. :cry_happy:

Are you all 5year old? Don't you have relevant topics?

Eh? WTF exactly is your point here in relation to my post??

Please stop arguing in thread. If you think a post needs staff attention, please use the report button. Thanks.

My little one and I have purposely done it a few bags at a time (referring to Orthanc). With there being 15 numbered bags we've basically done a few a day and we'll finish up tonight. Definitely one of my favorite lego sets of all time, alongside the Monster Fighters Haunted House and Medieval Market Village.

Building is half the fun for me, so I would rather go slow and enjoy the process longer than rush to finish it.

Completely agreed

Edited by dranguish

I have been checking my local Wal Marts and Targets regularly, expecting last year's wave to be marked down. Yesterday, I saw the new sets at Target for the first time, right next to the old ones still at full price. What gives? :p

I have been checking my local Wal Marts and Targets regularly, expecting last year's wave to be marked down. Yesterday, I saw the new sets at Target for the first time, right next to the old ones still at full price. What gives? :p

Yeah, the smaller ones were marked down around 30% at Target last month but they just disappeared. I did get my share at accidental clearance awesomeness for LOTR in January from that Target- if y'all remember, Orc Forge for $18 and Weathertop for $20. :laugh:

the instructions for these new sets are a joke compared to the old instructions of 90s that i built as a kid....

there you actually need to look good and then build... now its just a factory GRAB, PUT, GRAB, PUT....

I built thousands of sets as a kid (from 5-15) and i was always a fast builder.... It takes me longer to build Black Knights Castle than building Helm's Deep and the piece count is nearly halved ...

that says alot how hard the building process used to be...

back then it was fun ye...

The only huge difference, from what I remember, is everything use to come in unmarked bags and now the sets are more organized with numbered bags that have correlating instructions. I wouldn't say this makes things easier so much as less time consuming and frustrating. I dunno about you, but searching 5-10 minutes for one specific little brick in hundreds of pieces wasn't exactly fun for me. Imagine trying to build Orthanc with all those little black pieces and without the pieces being pre-sorted at all! Plus sets seem MUCH larger nowadays than they use to so finding all the pieces to a 2500 piece set would take forever if they weren't divided into numbered bags. Before sets were no where near the size of some we have today.

The only huge difference, from what I remember, is everything use to come in unmarked bags and now the sets are more organized with numbered bags that have correlating instructions. I wouldn't say this makes things easier so much as less time consuming and frustrating. I dunno about you, but searching 5-10 minutes for one specific little brick in hundreds of pieces wasn't exactly fun for me. Imagine trying to build Orthanc with all those little black pieces and without the pieces being pre-sorted at all! Plus sets seem MUCH larger nowadays than they use to so finding all the pieces to a 2500 piece set would take forever if they weren't divided into numbered bags. Before sets were no where near the size of some we have today.

The older sets didn't have piece call outs either, but the bulk of my time spent is searching for pieces, even after I sort into color piles. I can spend a couple minutes looking for a single piece that is right in front of me.

My Tower of Orthanc is still on backorder :hmpf_bad: What's the point of ordering it early as a VIP if it gets shipped after the 1st July anyway.........

It might be part of the batch with the messed up instructions that was recalled, and now they have run out of others?

Thats 1, the rest was you were not held hand by instructions all the time... sometimes you had to see the difference in last page build (or picture) compared to this one to not miss something....

now its just a joke...

Thats 1, the rest was you were not held hand by instructions all the time... sometimes you had to see the difference in last page build (or picture) compared to this one to not miss something....

now its just a joke...

It sounds like you should build your sets using only the box art for instructions then. :P

The older sets didn't have piece call outs either, but the bulk of my time spent is searching for pieces, even after I sort into color piles. I can spend a couple minutes looking for a single piece that is right in front of me.

Ahh, I don't even use those now. I am just so use to just looking at the picture.

Edited by Deathleech

If LEGO did their research correctly and built the Tower of Orthanc according to the books and movies, it should be indestructible after building it. :classic: Definitely getting mine in October!

Ahh, I don't even use those now. I am just so use to just looking at the picture.

Yeah, half the time I don't either, and that's when I mess up :laugh:

Neither do I. I just built Orthanc, by the way, and it is beautiful! Took me about three, three and a half hours to build, but I was multi-tasking a little for a while.

It sounds like you should build your sets using only the box art for instructions then. :P

Are you going to say the builds are hard???

Helm's Deep was a joke and it was the biggest of LEGO LOTR builds in the line... Orthanc is not harder at all i bet my money.

I'll admit i never built 2000+ pieces builds, but did alot of builds in ranges of 600-1000 with a few like Helm's Deep and the 90s builds are ALOT more time consuming than these builds today.

anyone arguing otherwise is just attempting to troll :P

^ Everyone's building skills are at different levels, Alcarin. You're coming off as a bit conceited with post after post about how great of a builder you are.

Amazon.uk has the LOTR second wave sets up at retail price with free shipping.

Wow, great news!!! Lego at retail price!!! Thanx a lot ;)

I think the Helm's Deep game will be the first LEGO board game that I buy to actually play. I bought the Hobbit game, but solely for the parts. The LOTR game looks really fun.

Oh yeah, sadly they aren't in stock until July, thanks though, although a few of them are more than RRP or so it seems, the black gate says that it will be in stock on 3rd July, so I reckon S@H will have the second LOTR wave available in July, presumably the 1st, hopefully they also get the LOTR game in for July as it does look like the best lego game of the lot IMO. :classic:

Look under the set(s) you want, and look at the new section, and they are all available at retail price from Amazon.uk, I'm pretty sure they are available now aren't they?

Edited by Propicz89