CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

I guess the Peter Jackson Corsair pirate counts. Even though you see the ships in the theatrical version, the confrontation between Aragorn and Co. and the ship is the only scene where he appears majorly.

But in the theatrical cut, there is a quick shot of Jackson and company on the deck of the boat. Mouth of Sauron is nowhere to be found.

Actually, was the Mouth of Sauron the only character in the films to ONLY be in the extended editions? I never really thought of that until now. Everyone else got extended time, or just appeared in more movies than the theatrical editions. (Denethor in TTT EE, but did not appear in theatrical until ROTK.)

I picked up Pirate Ship and Black Gate today at TRU in Texas at BOGO 50% off and it wasn't too much difference from what it would have been at MSRP. Enjoyed building the Black Gate tonight, there was more detail that I imagined. At first I thought it would be just black bricks and would be boring, but they did a good job adding play features and moving parts. I definitely think two Black Gates would make a better set but I'm going to hold off and try to grab one later on bricklink without minifigs for a lesser price. Can't wait to build the Pirate Ship on Sunday and pick up the other sets at MSRP from Lego store next month. I'm also happy to hear about the early availability of Orthanc for VIP customers on June 17!

Actually, was the Mouth of Sauron the only character in the films to ONLY be in the extended editions?

Off the top of my head, Lobelia and Otho Sackville-Baggins ony appeaed in the FotR EE.

I think I'll get an extra Rivendell split from the minifigures, as it's likely to only be £10-£15 on eBay, but I'd also like an extra Pirate Ship with the two dead soldiers and the corsair. Would it be cheaper to buy a Pirate Ship with no minifigs and BL the ones I want?

Called around a few of the TRU in the UK and they know nothing :cry_sad: Looks like we'll be waiting until July 1st :thumbdown:

At least we can get the Orthanc early! :grin: That promotion is for the UK too right.....?

I'd also like an extra Pirate Ship with the two dead soldiers and the corsair. Would it be cheaper to buy a Pirate Ship with no minifigs and BL the ones I want?

I doubt it. Those 3 figs are going to be much more expensive then Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli, and I would think you'd break even with MSRP at best. I would pick up the ship on sale and sell off the figs you don't want.

Got the Council of Elrond today in Belgium. Arwen is so well done :wub: And Elrond looks so nice ! :blush:

Edited by N7LEGO

Got the Council of Elrond today in Belgium. Arwen is so well done :wub: And Elrdon looks so nice ! :blush:

In Belgium? It´s good to know, that new wave arrived to Europe soon :blush:

Yeah that eye sticker in the council set is a nice addition, I may have to get it now :classic:

I find it funny that people were saying the Mouth of Sauron was creepy without his helmet on... he is the MOUTH of Sauron. What did you expect??

Well, before the minifigure was created, no one knew what was under the Mouth of Sauron' s helmet! The decayed folds of skin just freak me out a bit, so he looks better with helmet on.

Edited by 8BrickMario

I don't understand why people buy sets to review when they're obviously not into the theme. Is it for attention? For possible financial gain? I'm not trying to bag on YCF because that guy and his daughter seem really sweet, but come on - "you get a bird in this set." Really? It's just a bird?"

It seems like the cool thing to do now on YouTube - "Be the first person to halfway slap together a set, get it posted, and get subs! Who cares if I know anything about the set or the theme! Who cares if I mispronounce names! Who cares if I put it together correctly! JUST BE THE FIRST!"

/nerdrageoff

Edited by Doctor_ocks

Even though he mispronounced Sauron every time (its pronounced OW as in OWL), I must say that this set, while slightly small, is amazing when it comes to the value for money. Three brand new exclusive figures, a horse, and an eagle, plus two grunts, for a set similarly priced to the Orc Forge or Weathertop, sets which only had four-five figures each. Overall, I thin k this is the best value for money set this wave. While the other three sets each offer unique new things, this set offers quite a bit for a decent price.

It does get annoying sometimes when reviewers have no knowledge of the source material, but I can overlook this as long as they know the basics of how to film a quality video and deliver a competant review of the actual set itself.

Just a sidenote on the whole youtube review stuff: Probably unstopable to have people review things to be "First!". I personally dislike most of the established reviewers. I like our home-own just2goodeurobricks. : P He seems to do it with a passion.

But now to the sets: Yep, the black gate is must for me. Figures look really good and the set itself is also memorable, just like the Council of Elrond. Wizard duel is cheap enough to get it for the printed eye of Sauron.

I'm still not too keen about the Corsair ship. Bricklinking the figures might end up ridiculously overpriced and leave me with no bricks at all, so the set itself might be the best choice parts wise.

Edited by KazeMonsuta

I'll get the Wizard Battle and Elrond's Council as soon as I find them in Australia. An employee at a toy store checked the catalogue today with the release being "June" in Australia, so the sets should pop up soon. I also had a look at the official Australian prices: 23, 60, 100 and 140. The 100% Australian surcharge on the Council of Elrond is disappointing. I pondered to buy two sets to build a slightly larger Rivendell, but given that I could get 4 sets for the same price if I were in the US, I may leave it at one.

The Black Gate looks great and is a must-buy for the minifigures alone. I won't buy a second set but might have a look if I can get individual bricks to assemble a second tower without the gate section.

Finally, the Corsair Ship is even worse than I thought. The sails look terrible from one side, the cabin's interior lacks any detail and the whole thing just doesn't scream BUY ME! at me. It doesn't even whisper buy me, please. Easy to pass, although I would like to get the army of the dead.

Thanks for the links to the reviews, everyone!

Got the Council of Elrond today in Belgium. Arwen is so well done :wub: And Elrond looks so nice ! :blush:

In which store did you get it?

The black gate set looks really good, the figures are also really awesome (although I'm surprised that the mouth of saurons helmet is rubber but hey ho), I may have to get a second set (maybe I might just buy the pieces of eBay) and the wizard battle is also cool but I'm definitely getting Orthanc so I may just pass on that, damn you saurons eye! I'm not too sure whether or not to get the council of elrond set but I don't think I'll but the corsair ship (but then again) :classic:

Sorry to go OT, but does anybody know if Minimates accessories fit Lego hands? The figures are weird looking things, but some of the accessories look pretty good (Anduril, Glamdring, Saruman's Staff). EDIT: Might be Aragorn's first sword, not Anduril.

http://minimatescent...OTRMMPoster.jpg

There seems to be quite a few figures available with pretty nice accessories and weapons. Are they of any use? :)

Edited by Seaber

Sorry to go OT, but does anybody know if Minimates accessories fit Lego hands? The figures are weird looking things, but some of the accessories look pretty good (Anduril, Glamdring, Saruman's Staff). EDIT: Might be Aragorn's first sword, not Anduril.

http://minimatescent...OTRMMPoster.jpg

There seems to be quite a few figures available with pretty nice accessories and weapons. Are they of any use? :)

Dunno if they work with lego. But Aragorn is holding Gandalf's sword glamdring. Gandalf is holding aragorn first sword.

Just a sidenote on the whole youtube review stuff: Probably unstopable to have people review things to be "First!". I personally dislike most of the established reviewers. I like our home-own just2goodeurobricks. : P He seems to do it with a passion.

Your comment got me a bit teared up! Thank you! :cry_happy:

On the topic, I'll be checking out Toys"R"Us today, and I'll just be getting, if anything, the Council of Elrond set and the Wizard Battle set. The Black Gate set is cool, but it's a bit pricey. I'd rather wait until June 1st to get the Jor-El promo, but that's a big maybe.

Edited by just2good

About reviews: Yeah, YCF has good quality, and good opinions...about stuff that he DOESN'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT! Rant over. J2G is great, and I personally like to watch BrickQueen's reviews, too. She could technically be considered home-own too, as she's a member here.

Sets: Shame the Mouth has a rubber helmet. That wasn't expected at all. The Wizard Battle will be mine if only for the trans-yellow crystal balls and the Eye of Sauron. I wonder if the Cyclops's helmet would line up well enough with it? I don't really think so.

P.S. I had no idea that the Mouth of Sauron had hair! I wonder how LEGO got this idea? From PJ and Co. or created it themselves? I really want at least one Gate now, since it looks amazing!

Edited by 8BrickMario

Honestly, I can see getting duplicates of all these new sets except maybe the ship. Obviously, having two black gates makes sense for scale purposes and having the extra parts from a second wizard battle would be nice. The council set too is just begging to be modded to be more to scale and using two of them seems like the place to start.