CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

I was surprised at the reise of Bilbo, but I suppose it makes sense - he did leave his Hobbit hole without even a kerchief!

I too missed the snow. PJ has already prequelled the Hobbit (a-la Star Wars vs the prequels). I was incredibly dissapointed with this first movie, and I expect the remaining two movies to continue the trend of deviating from the original story to add in lame new characters and subplots.

I hadn't considered using it as a winter village set. I can definitely see that vibe coming from it. I noticed the snow and I like the sparing use of it in this set. It isn't overwhelming, but still gives the impression that there is snow present in the scene.

Good call, rogueang - I hadn't considered that. He did forget his handkercheif in the movie, so a change of clothes would be harder to come by. Although, they could have given him a different face print like they did with the same Frodo in the Elrond set. He at least got a new angry face, which is nice.

I'm sure we'll have Azog (white) on the next wave. They can't make us wait more because:

1- We didn't have it in the first wave

2- We've seen him at the last Comic Con

They should know now that we are waiting for this minifig. But if we have him, will we have Smaug ? They will offer us 2 bad guys in the same wave ? I think Smaug will be like the Balrog: in the 3rd wave.

Lego doesen't have an issue releasing 2 bad guys in one wave.. I hope atleast his head is molded, otherwise it will lack almost any recognizability.

Yes I hope he'll have a molded head too. I don't like that much the brick build Ent, I would be disapointed to have the same with Smaug

Summer LOTR sets will be in UK Brand Stores on Saturday :classic:

Also the sets weren't recalled according to the manager of the Westfield Store, they just weren't meant to be released until 27th.

Summer LOTR sets will be in UK Brand Stores on Saturday :classic:

Also the sets weren't recalled according to the manager of the Westfield Store, they just weren't meant to be released until 27th.

Thanks for that, I will definitely go to my store and get some of the new sets very soon :classic:

Yes I hope he'll have a molded head too. I don't like that much the brick build Ent, I would be disapointed to have the same with Smaug

But that ent is fantastic! and it's not meant to look like any specific ent.

Edited by deskp

I like the Orthanc tower and the new Lake town set is also really nice. :)

But my only complaining is that LEGO isn't able to provide pure LotR battle packs like the Star Wars BPs.

So why?

But my only complaining is that LEGO isn't able to provide pure LotR battle packs like the Star Wars BPs.

So why?

Star wars is more popular, and a highly proven success in lego.

So why?

This has been discussed MANY times, and it has to do with action figure licensing rights and Lego's marketing.

This has been discussed MANY times, and it has to do with action figure licensing rights.

Nope, battle packs contain enough bricks to not interfere with that.

How are the capes holding up, especially if you have Legos that you let younger kids play with. Do I need to be concerned about them tearing at the head hole?

Nope, battle packs contain enough bricks to not interfere with that.

I think the brick requirements vary with the given licenses or contracts. Disney seems most open to figure packs. WB seems least. Don't forget that the licensor has a large amount of input into set selection. At this stage with movies still in active production the licensor may prefer to maintain a focus on named characters and heroes in the sets. Which tends to work against Battle Packs.

Edited by Faefrost

I think the brick requirements vary with the given licenses or contracts.

Take a look at the polybags. They are basically just minifigures sold seperatley with almsot the pure limit of bricks needed along with them.

How are the capes holding up, especially if you have Legos that you let younger kids play with. Do I need to be concerned about them tearing at the head hole?

I don't think ripping is much of a problem, but then can propably stretch and crunch them in bad ways..

Folds and fraying are generally the worst I'd expect but I was never one of those kids that slammed my Hot-Wheels into each other either. :classic:

Regarding battle packs: The fact is, there could be something license/WB related that is preventing LEGO from releasing 'battle packs' and it could be an internal decision. We don't know. There's no point in revisiting that tired conversation.

Is it clear from the newer pics that there are two of the new shield print in the Laketown set? (I can't get them to load on my phone.)

Folds and fraying are generally the worst I'd expect but I was never one of those kids that slammed my Hot-Wheels into each other either. :classic:

Regarding battle packs: The fact is, there could be something license/WB related that is preventing LEGO from releasing 'battle packs' and it could be an internal decision. We don't know. There's no point in revisiting that tired conversation.

Is it clear from the newer pics that there are two of the new shield print in the Laketown set? (I can't get them to load on my phone.)

yes, those shields are printed, they cant do stickers on those convex surfaces.

Besides the licensing issue it was 10 years (I believe) before SW battle packs started to appear, so I don't see anything coming from LotR for a while IF ever. I don't agree with that, as would probably everyone here, but TLG will do what they think is most beneficial to them. I personally can't see how they wouldn't sell insane amounts of battle packs at this point though, as we Lego LotR fans have been used to the "battle pack" of Uruk-Hai Army. Can you imagine a Uruk-Hai (printed like Orc Forge) battle pack with 4 bad guys and a little ballista for $12.99 (USD), $15.99 (CDN) or £11.99 (GBP) and then a good guy battle pack with 2 Elves, 2 Rohirrim and a catapult or the like. I have to stop myself from even considering that Lego may produce battle packs at some point because I get so excited and then realize it probably won't happen and the sadness sets in lol.

Back to the sets, I like the design of the Laketown set specifically the boat, as well as the new minifigs. The price is terrible IMO (334 pieces, 14.967c/p), comparing it to Attack of the Wargs that retailed for the same price of $49.99 (USD). AotW came with 5 minfigs as well, 2 wargs, and 400 pieces (12.498c/p). Lake Town is more interesting I'll give it that, but I'll have to wait for a sale before I pick it up.

Edited by scottjs

Back to the sets, I like the design of the Laketown set specifically the boat, as well as the new minifigs. The price is terrible IMO (334 pieces, 14.967c/p), comparing it to Attack of the Wargs that retailed for the same price of $49.99 (USD). AotW came with 5 minfigs as well, 2 wargs, and 400 pieces (12.498c/p). Lake Town is more interesting I'll give it that, but I'll have to wait for a sale before I pick it up.

Laketown set has over 450 pieces, the "334" number is incorrect.

As I said: Action Figure Licensing Rights (Lego MAY not be able to sell LotR Battlepacks due to minifigure rights owned by Hasbro, or something similar) and Lego's Marketing strategy (Lego may not feel that battlepacks or viable, or they may feel that they would take away from their sales of standard sets, or may have some other reason). The whole point is that this has been discussed in detail multiple times on this thread, so we don't need to rehash it again. Please feel free to start a new topic concerning the issue if you wish, but this is not the correct place to discuss it.

Sure hope we get Beorn the Bear in one of these sets. Been dying for a lego bear and would prefer not to buy one separately since I don't want the Forest Police station/Robbers' hideout.

Sure hope we get Beorn the Bear in one of these sets. Been dying for a lego bear and would prefer not to buy one separately since I don't want the Forest Police station/Robbers' hideout.

I hope hes printed some way, some gray streaks of hair or something, Do you think lego would include both bear and minifig in same set? I hope so.

Good question. Off the top of my head I don't know of many sets that have both identities of one character in a set. All I know of right now is the Batcaves with Bruce Wayne and Batman. No Banner in the Hulk set and no Harley Quinn, just Harleen Quinzel, in the Arkham set.

I think it would depend on how much Jackson decides to feature the Company's interaction with Beorn; if he expands it into more than just a short stay (which he probably will judging by the DoS teaser), then I think it's possible to have both bear and minifigure in order to reinforce the significance of his skinchanging.

I think the Beorn fig will depend a lot more on cost. It's undeniable that Beorn will need to be a bigger minifig, possibly using the Toy Story fig parts, or something more. That means that it may cost more to include both versions in one set. So we may not see his bear form till TABA sets.

So we're looking at at least 5 new sets? And that's not including the Mirkwood spider nor the Barrel Escape?