CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Well done, indeed! If and when they get around to making an Old Bilbo minifig, I hope it looks very similar to what you've created.

Thanks, everyone. Putting the video game version aside, that's really how i hope they include him in a 'Bilbo's Party' set.

Thanks, everyone. Putting the video game version aside, that's really how i hope they include him in a 'Bilbo's Party' set.

Probably also should've added that maybe they could make him smile a little more; Bilbo's face looks too serious in Riddles for the Ring.

Probably also should've added that maybe they could make him smile a little more; Bilbo's face looks too serious in Riddles for the Ring.

He could have alternate sides of his face, i suppose.

But i think we're getting slightly off-topic here.

It was quite a high pressure situation for him; that whole "if it doesn't after we eats it" probably prompted a certain seriousness of expression.

Just use Bag End Bilbo's head.

There is a rumoured set which is supposed to be the desolation of smaug, I recommend reading this http://www.bricksetf...es-smaug#latest

Are they not just talking about the fact that there will be sets absed on DOS this december?.... nothing new..

No news there,and they are not talking about 1 set but the whole 2. wave of hobbit sets.

The initial press realease in 2011 already said there would be sets for both hobbit films.

this new presss release only says it won't be revealed uintill later this year, proapbly comi con. 1 set or something.

Edited by deskp

I sincerely hope that Lego wouldn't use the new castle dragon for Smaug instead of making a clever brick built version. However some people from the link above were discussing the possibility. Also not much is said about Desolation of Smaug sets other than mentioning their inevitable existence which we all knew regardless.

Are they not just talking about the fact that there will be sets absed on DOS this december?.... nothing new..

No news there,and they are not talking about 1 set but the whole 2. wave of hobbit sets.

The initial press realease in 2011 already said there would be sets for both hobbit films.

this new presss release only says it won't be revealed uintill later this year, proapbly comi con. 1 set or something.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/07/ny-lego-at-toy-fair-idUSnPnNY56310+160+PRN20130207

On here there is some info about the desolation of smaug will be revealed later on in the year, I hope that smaug is moulded. :classic:

Details of building sets tied to The Hobbit: The DESOLATION OF SMAUG

I think they're talking about multiple sets... :wink:

So the consensus is that we will be getting pictures tomorrow?

Of the LOTR Summer sets? No doubt about it. :wink:

On another note, I woke up this morning, and I noticed how much I appreciate the LOTR theme (not the Hobbit theme, though I appreciate that theme too, just not as much as LOTR). The LOTR theme was a love letter from LEGO to all the AFOLs. They knew it may not be a seller to kids, but the made two waves because it is so popular with adults. The movies came out years ago, but they still made the sets. This thought makes me want a third wave so badly, but I hope it isn't going to go in the vein of Harry Potter (one wave in 2010 with around six sets, and a second wave the following year with around three sets and a D2C).

The Hobbit theme, on the other hand, seems to be a little more for kids (and I always see kids buying them at Target), and they are newer movies.

Just a little thought. :classic:

Edited by just2good

Of the LOTR Summer sets? No doubt about it. :wink:

Well that's unfortunate. I thought there was an earlier discussion about them showing up at the (Germany?) toy fair this weekend. Anticipation is killing me.

Oops - I read your post wrong. Sorry :look:

Edited by Shroffy123

I thought I read there was an embargo on pictures of LOTR until May or sometime around there?? I may have misunderstood because I'd love to see more official photos sooner than later. I think Middle Earth LEGO is my favorite theme these days.

I thought I read there was an embargo on pictures of LOTR until May or sometime around there?? I may have misunderstood because I'd love to see more official photos sooner than later. I think Middle Earth LEGO is my favorite theme these days.

The New York Toyfair is tomorrow. We'll see the sets there. Heck, the final versions of the sets were there last year, so it will be official.

The New York Toyfair is tomorrow. We'll see the sets there. Heck, the final versions of the sets were there last year, so it will be official.

While we're on this topic does anyone plan to be there/taking pictures? We'll probably be able to find them on Google nonetheless but I'm just wondering..

While we're on this topic does anyone plan to be there/taking pictures? We'll probably be able to find them on Google nonetheless but I'm just wondering..

FBTB always has a great picture feed from the Toy Fair.

I think the reason that they're only releasing 4 sets is to see how well LotR fares without its iconic scenes.

The first wave contained some of the most iconic and memorable scenes. (excluding Orc Forge). This wave, in my opinion, has less memorable scenes (Corsairs). So it will give a better representation of how well LotR sells. Lots of people who are not necessarily huge fans of LotR will certainly remember Helm's Deep, the Cave Troll and Weathertop to an extent whereas council of Elrond and the Corair ship especially wouldn't be too well known and so wouldn't be as quickly snatched up as the previous sets.

I could be entirely wrong, but I thought I'd just share my ideas with you.

I think the reason that they're only releasing 4 sets is to see how well LotR fares without its iconic scenes.

The first wave contained some of the most iconic and memorable scenes. (excluding Orc Forge). This wave, in my opinion, has less memorable scenes (Corsairs). So it will give a better representation of how well LotR sells. Lots of people who are not necessarily huge fans of LotR will certainly remember Helm's Deep, the Cave Troll and Weathertop to an extent whereas council of Elrond and the Corair ship especially wouldn't be too well known and so wouldn't be as quickly snatched up as the previous sets.

I could be entirely wrong, but I thought I'd just share my ideas with you.

I could see where you're coming from. I have to agree, this wave does have less memorable scenes (except maybe The Tower of Orthanc set), but it seems to have a lot more recognizable new characters: like, Arwen, Saruman, Elrond, Gandalf the White, and even the Undead Pirates are recognizable (I tested this yesterday, but that's another story).

Oh, and is the Eye Sauron coming in the Black Gate set?

Edited by just2good

Oh, and is the Eye Sauron coming in the Black Gate set?

I think the eye of sauron is printed on a minifigure head like piece that comes in the wizard battle set (the object that's on the palintir) :classic:

I think the eye of sauron is printed on a minifigure head like piece that comes in the wizard battle set (the object that's on the palintir) :classic:

I actually think it may be the globe/crystal ball piece in a darker transparent color,

attached to a 2x2 round plate with the printed Eye of Sauron head under the crystal ball piece.