Blakbird

Finding Parts for Technic MOCs

I have been using Bricklink for 10 years and I never knew about that button! That will save me countless hours. The problem is that it does not show up by default. You have to go into your display settings and enable it.

Holy #@$% that's awesome! What a time saver!

Exactly where can I find the setting I need to change to get that button?

• Go to "orders placed"
  • Click "customize display"
  • Check box that says "Items in Order on my Wanted List Icon"
  • Click "Save Settings"
  • Go back to "orders placed" and you will now see a scroll icon next to each order.

If you add Non Lego parts into a Lego creation, it is not going to get respected as 100% Lego built model would.

I don't think that's any different to the non-Lego tyres and the various online shops selling non-Lego or modified bricks. We regularly see people winning awards and getting featured on blogs with models that have a lot of those things in them (the number of chromed parts in some trucks, for example, is ridiculous). Technic builders to that almost as much as the custom minifig crowds do. One example I've experienced is Brickvention in Melbourne explicitly saying that anything that looks like Lego is acceptable.

Lego has historically only sold sets, not parts.

When Lego was bricks, bricks, and bricks, plus a few bases, roof tiles,windows and doors, they sold parts not sets. I wish they'd go back to selling small boxes of one part like they did when I was a child. But I'm not going to hold my breath!

Just a quick update, my order made it here today, I think its been 9 days or so since I paid (And they said they didn't have an item in stock but it was also included)

Its also a bit shocking how small the piles of pieces are when you consider it cost the same as the 42006.

Edited by S.I

It lists prices immediately for me, including shipping. And some parts are significantly cheaper than on bricklink.

E: Example... LegoDirect.png

Are you from Germany? the tax is really high!

though your unit price is way much cheaper than ours.

Edited by francisalmario

???

When you go to Orders Placed and you click on the icon just left of the seller name (looks like a scroll) you navigate to page where all the items on your wanted list that you just ordered are shown. Here you can delete them from your wanted list or move them to another wanted list.

Is this what you are looking for?

Top job! Glad I mentioned it now! Seems several people have benefited from that post

Edited by paul_delahaye

Got my parts from S@H, took 10 days to arrive. These parts are way much cheaper in S@H as compared to Bricklink, shipping is cheap too!

23022013663_zps89c3008a.jpg

Edited by francisalmario

Got my parts from S@H, took 10 days to arrive. These parts are way much cheaper in S@H as compared to Bricklink, shipping is cheap too!

23022013663_zps89c3008a.jpg

Can u only order from certain country's though?

Can u only order from certain country's though?

Using Bricklink:

-If I order only from Suisse, the shovel is not available. Plus the items that I need is much more expensive from them.

-If I order from France/Germany, I need to add 19% VAT plus minimum shipping fee of 9 euros.

So, S@H is the best bet.

Using Bricklink:

-If I order only from Suisse, the shovel is not available. Plus the items that I need is much more expensive from them.

-If I order from France/Germany, I need to add 19% VAT plus minimum shipping fee of 9 euros.

So, S@H is the best bet.

Did u order online or ring them up?

Are you from Germany? the tax is really high!

though your unit price is way much cheaper than ours.

Yep, gotta love 19-20% VAT ;(

Using Bricklink:

maybe possible, yes.

this is not quite true, when you live in switzerland as your avatar suggests you don´t need to pay 19% vat.

Its automaticly reduced by the bricklink system.

shipping starts at 3.45 euro in germany.

If your order is below 50 euro, you neither have to pay customs or import-VAT-tax in switzerland

as a costumer of me told me.

So, S@H is the best bet.

This might be an expensive mistake, or only valid in your special case with that one order.

I did a lot of market research recently, which was quite interesting.

On normal orders placed by the hundred, LEGO Direct (LD) is AT LEAST 100% to 300% more expensive than Bricklink.

Often there are cases, where i can compare on invoicing, my amount 13 euro while LD would be charging 35 euro or something.

So this is saving the people a lot of money, if they (w)could only learn how BL works.

I write at least, because, items not deliverable anymore by LD, are not even took in to account.

Here is what i found is a no-go with LD: (no guarentee - particular items may vary.)

pneumatic hoses: ridicolous. i´ve seen one at 21€ ! while BL is at 1€

Liftarms: BL starts at 3-4 cent, while the cheapest of LD is at 8-13 cent.

Axles: except special ones 2-3 times the BL level.

Pins: same here.

Connectors: also more expensive, some cheaper.

Tires and Rims: No go also, BL 1€ - LD 2-3€

Shock Absorber: more expensive than BL

Steering: partially cheaper than BL, some not.

Gears: prIced higher. Items which are 5 cent BL, are 15 to 20 at LD, some are equal.

Softaxles: also quite expensive @ LD

Technic-Bricks: same here.

Panels: partially cheaper, partially more expensive... depends on item.

Big parts: like Backhoe shovels, also more expensive. 1€ at BL, 4 at LD.

Electric things: also not to good. A 4€ Batterybox is 13.15€ at LD...

So LD might work good, on special orders, but not on orders which are most common.

Question from above.. why are the prices off the Picture cheaper than in shop. ?

Thats because In switzerland were the screenshot had been taken, the is no 19% vat applied.

(If you add them, you come to the shop-prices shown within the EU.)

Does anyone here get parts from set 8110 delivered ??? orange panels anyone?

Please tell me. Its forbidden in Germany, so we dont get special items out of this set here..

nice weekend to ya.

Tom

Hi Tom,

some days ago I tried to get 10 orange 11x5x1 panels directly from Lego. They asked for a call and then told me that these pieces are licensed so they aren't allowed to sell them separately. Would have been a great deal. These panels are only 1,50€ each at Lego.

Oh, and the pneumatic cylinders are way cheaper the BL!!!

So far

Pat

@ David - I ordered online, the prices are already posted when browsing for parts. I only called when my order is complete and I need to confirm it and upon payment.

@ S.I. - yeah, we got lower VAT rate of 8% but all prices of commodities are jacked up way up high.

@Tom - Swiss is not part of the EU and BL always put 19% on my orders though there are certain sellers which did not charge me VAT for my orders below EUR50.

Also, I use IBAN for payment and if I pay for BL transaction outside Swiss, bank charges will be an added cost to my order. I use credit card for S@H.

You are right that most of the items are cheaper in BL than S@H ( I bought my lift arms, pins, connectors, etc in BL and they are waaay cheaper than S@H.) But my particular order like the one I posted above, S@H is much cheaper versus the swiss suppliers in BL. I just want to consolidate my order to come up with the cheapest alternative. The prices shown on suisse is much higher (around 10-20%) than the one posted by S.I. but we got only 8% VAT.

I ordered orange panels last friday, just waiting for confirmation if they will allow my order of 10 orange panels.

Edited by francisalmario

Hi Tom,

some days ago I tried to get 10 orange 11x5x1 panels directly from Lego. They asked for a call and then told me that these pieces are licensed so they aren't allowed to sell them separately. Would have been a great deal. These panels are only 1,50€ each at Lego.

Oh, and the pneumatic cylinders are way cheaper the BL!!!

So far

Pat

orange panels, this happened to me too.. :-( .

For the pneumatic-cylinders. thats right, but i think you do not get the small ones as these are out of licensed 8110 too. The last non licensed sets including this piece were from the late 90´s.

so not in LD anymore.

Here is wath i have seen.

-new LBG comprocessor has no price. i.e. not available.

-old yellow 5.5L compressoer is more than 8€ on LD, around 4-5 on BL

-valves are 3.80€ at LD while around 1.50 on BL

-big cylinders (out of 8049), are cheaper with 5.50 euro instead of around 6-7€

(If you need extra shipping for those, paying a bit more on BL might work too in the end)

-blue pneu-connectors are cheaper too.

-pneumatic pump are more expensive, can´t remind the price anymore, but it was in the 7-8 euro area instead of 4€

-Airtanks.. haven´t been checked by me... but boy, i should...

Before i did my research i was really excited about LD, but it just can not compete with BL in most times from my point of view.

CU

@Francisco - REPLY HERE - don´t know why its not possible to do so in a new comment :-/

@Tom - Swiss is not part of the EU and BL always put 19% on my orders though there are certain sellers which did not charge me VAT for my orders below EUR50.

No, i think you misunderstood how BL works.

If you are logged in, you get shown the NET-Prices all along as your shipping location ia assumed Swiss.

The Vat will be not shown to you, or literally removed before you selct a shop.

Of course this is not the case with stores which are not subject to VAT aka "Hobby or pure used-items"-Sellers.

If i am right, the Vat is also reduced for you in the price guide.

So for sellers there is no possibilty to charge you Vat you are not subject too.

Also, I use IBAN for payment and if I pay for BL transaction outside Swiss, bank charges will be an added cost to my order. I use credit card for S@H.

Ok, yes this has to be considered. But you can be lucky the Swiss are not in the EU, even if IBAN is free of charge here. ;-)

Furthermore Paypal is fee-free with many sellers on BL.

You are right that most of the items are cheaper in BL than S@H ( I bought my lift arms, pins, connectors, etc in BL and they are waaay cheaper than S@H.) But my particular order like the one I posted above, S@H is much cheaper versus the swiss suppliers in BL. (For example, the sprocket, the cheapest I found in Swiss BL is CHF2.77 versus CHF2.50 in S@H, so case to case basis).

Agreed. :-)

Edited by TBS

I can't find anything about buying parts on the lego shop only pick a brick? Which is useless.

Edited by davidmull

@ davidmull: "Lego Direct" is what you are seeking -- it is also known as Lego Customer Service. Log onto http://www.Lego.com , make sure that your Region (at the top-center) is set for your country, then look at the bottom of the screen for "Contact Us". Telephone Lego Customer Service to order your desired parts.

You will need the LEGO Part Number (not the Bricklink number) for everything you want. To find this out, look at the Parts Inventory page at the back of your favorite Lego Technic set, and write down the numbers ahead of time; this Lego Customer Service webpage can help you download PDF Building Instructions. You can order a maximum of 10-15 different line items (not 10-15 pieces); the maximum keeps changing. You need a Credit Card number.

@ davidmull: "Lego Direct" is what you are seeking -- it is also known as Lego Customer Service. Log onto http://www.Lego.com , make sure that your Region (at the top-center) is set for your country, then look at the bottom of the screen for "Contact Us". Telephone Lego Customer Service to order your desired parts.

You will need the LEGO Part Number (not the Bricklink number) for everything you want. To find this out, look at the Parts Inventory page at the back of your favorite Lego Technic set, and write down the numbers ahead of time; this Lego Customer Service webpage can help you download PDF Building Instructions. You can order a maximum of 10-15 different line items (not 10-15 pieces); the maximum keeps changing. You need a Credit Card number.

I have put some couple off orders by Lego Customer service and get first mine parts in house and than i have.to pay it by bank and normal i got the parts between 5 to 9 days in house. Whe don't have to pay by creditcard whe can choose :thumbup:

You don't even need the part number, it asks you to select a set, then lists all the parts in the set and you can add them to the cart. I wouldn't mind knowing how to add pieces by part number directly, without first entering a set number, anyone know?

I also can add the orange panels to my cart, I do not know if they would cancel them if I order any, I'll try it next time I order.

TBS:My order included small pneumatic cylinders, when I placed my order they were listed as 3.15 each (Selected from the unimog set), when I paid for my order I was told they were out of stock which would delay my order, but I still got it in 10 days with the cylinder, lego had replaced them with a different part number, and was invoiced 1.50 each.

As for bricklink being cheaper, in my case everything in my order was as cheap or cheaper via lego, and I did not have to split shipping between multiple stores, shipping was even cheaper from lego than bricklink, For example the cheapest store in germany with the square frames is selling them for 1.23, while I paid 1.00 each, the larger frames are 50% more expensive on bricklink. I would use bricklink for the types of pieces you get alot of in sets that are parted out for a couple of rare pieces, but the rare pieces themselves are seldomly cheaper. Newly released parts are also significantly cheaper, the new small gears were 13 cents each, bricklink only has 3 stores with more of them than I bought and they all are selling them for at least 3 times as much.

Edited by S.I

Thanks dluder :)

I can't find anything about buying parts on the lego shop only pick a brick? Which is useless.

-Go to Lego.com

-At the bottom of the page, click "Missing Parts" under Customer Service

-Then enter your age and your country

-Choose "To buy a piece"

-Click "Bricks and Pieces selection"

-Input the Set Number (8110, 8043, etc)

-Now choose on the parts listed, it also list the price

-Add pieces to your cart and checkout

TBS:My order included small pneumatic cylinders, when I placed my order they were listed as 3.15 each (Selected from the unimog set), when I paid for my order I was told they were out of stock which would delay my order, but I still got it in 10 days with the cylinder, lego had replaced them with a different part number, and was invoiced 1.50 each.

Thats hard to figure out what TLC is meaning with licensed, i.e. not available.

In some regions all is available, in some not. see orange panels.

So the questions is, does Not available mean: All the parts exclusive to 8110 and within the last 5 years, or does it mean just the orange panels ??? We in Germany might get big cylinders also via the 8049 set.

I didnt order the small cylinders because they come back in 42008 in august, so i wasnt able to get an possible refuse message by TLC. Maybe one in the restricted area did and knows more?

As for bricklink being cheaper, in my case everything in my order was as cheap or cheaper via lego, and I did not have to split shipping between multiple stores, shipping was even cheaper from lego than bricklink,

This depends on your part selection and quantity, which is different all the times.

Also on the point if you take out all the parts from a seller, within 2-3 orders, which i described in my first post of this thread.

I would use bricklink for the types of pieces you get alot of in sets that are parted out for a couple of rare pieces, but the rare pieces themselves are seldomly cheaper. Newly released parts are also significantly cheaper, the new small gears were 13 cents each, bricklink only has 3 stores with more of them than I bought and they all are selling them for at least 3 times as much.

Yes, this is a serious challenge for the sellers in niche-markets, like technic.

For the bulk sellers, its no problem, because they go on quantity not variety of parts.

Furthermore if you look at the BL Whales they part-out everything.

One thing special to Technic is the mixture of parts.

While system sets have parts which medium prices are way above 10 cents, its completely different with technic.

Here you can almost write off half off the parts of a set, namely pins and axles. Gears have to be written off by half.

This way the only parts left to earn your daily bread is the rest.

Therefore the rare parts might be similar to LD or higher. We have to live from something.

TLC just takes the parts out of their shelves and that´s it. They don´t care for the median price too, and are able

to sell rare new parts reasonably priced.

On the other side TLC charges 7 cent for a single pin, while i sell them at 0.7 cents !

This goes for all the pins and axles... I sold the previous version of your mentioned gear at 5 cent instead of 14 at TLC.

So it all depends on what is worth parting out.

For example: Even the rare parts of 42006 are cheap at BL now, because 300-400 were parted out worldwide.

The grabbing parts which is 2.23€ at TLC goes below 2 on BL. I bought some for 80 cents there recently.

The Tyres from the Motocross-Bike are also below TLC now.

With your new 8 tooth gear it doesnt work at all, and here is why:

They are only available in 3 Sets by now 42010, 42011, and 2 in 42004.

All of these Sets are not worthy to part out. Therefore they are rather rare and expensive on BL.

At high part-prices, their part-out value is below retail prices. You need to spend a lot of time and effort to get less money back

than a retailer who just put them on the shelfs.

When it comes to marketable prices its even worse, they all are close or below to the sellers purchase price in the eye of part out value.

Basically, you need to prop up about 1500€ to buy 100 of them, get back equal or less when ALL the parts are sold, and among those there is just 100 ! of these gears going for 14 euro at TLC or about 40 on BL.

You can´t justiy to buy these for your shop, and the parts in it will be on short-supply on BL if not included in other sets too.

This is the special case were TLC is unbeatable. Sooner or later these parts are included in 42009, 42008, or what have you, and their prices will go at or below TLC- Levels.

Comparing TLC and BL is worth a try then when it comes to quantity and brandnew special parts.

CU Tom.

-Go to Lego.com

-At the bottom of the page, click "Missing Parts" under Customer Service

-Then enter your age and your country

-Choose "To buy a piece"

-Click "Bricks and Pieces selection"

-Input the Set Number (8110, 8043, etc)

-Now choose on the parts listed, it also list the price

-Add pieces to your cart and checkout

Going thorough these steps I cannot find "To buy a piece"? I only get "pick a brick" where I cannot find the right panels and frames, or "my piece is missing", where I do find the desired pieces but I can only select as many as is present in the set I'm "missing pieces" for. Did they do away with the buy option?

Edited by otpi