Rick

2013 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Remember that we did get a gas station of sorts (gas pumps anyway) as part of the car parking garage from last year.

Remember that we did get a gas station of sorts (gas pumps anyway) as part of the car parking garage from last year.

Such card-lock or pay-at-pump only service stations or known in Denmark as Tankstations are very common....as too police and fire stations ! :laugh:

Like we have had fire sets in 2010, 2012 and 2013....police sets in 2011, 2012 and of course 2013 so why not another service station/garage thing eh ?

You buy a motorcycle from the new bike shop it does need fuel doesn't it ? :wink:

Like would you go thought the trouble of cutting up stickers, including a minifig behind a counter which is hard to see anyway plus some props inside the shop if this wasn't real or at least a prototype to feel the waters so to speak.....judging the reactions of people to the particular design ?

Lego needs to make a $20 or $30 separate bus. I'm sick of buses in sets I will never bother buying.

Yes, I missed the lime green bus from last transportation set because I was interested only in the bus and not the other vehicles (I could have bought the set for parts though)

"I asked about the gas station, and it is not part of the set, nor another new set, it's just something they made for the layout. Sadly. I would love to have a new gas station." so the gas station is not a set.

:cry_sad:

Edited by antp

TLG... if that Service Station isn't part of the set, and from what I gather it is not, then did you have to place it RIGHT NEXT to your whole reveal of something big & brand new? If there's rain on the parade it's of their own doing-- seems like many of us are/were more interested in a Gas Station reboot than that of City Corner...

I will say this, Lego...if not this year, GIVE US ONE NEXT YEAR!!

Yes, I missed the lime green bus from last transportation set because I was interested only in the bus and not the other vehicles (I could have bought the set for parts though)

Technically, that's not a bus, its a coach (even if LEGO refers to it as a bus in their description)

I do however agree that it is a GREAT vehicle.

Those minifigure packs are great. The white fence in the police pack seems a little incongruous. I get what it represents but it just looks a bit odd in the packaging. Shame it isn't one of these.

2583.gif?0

Edited by Jargo

TLG... if that Service Station isn't part of the set, and from what I gather it is not, then did you have to place it RIGHT NEXT to your whole reveal of something big & brand new? If there's rain on the parade it's of their own doing-- seems like many of us are/were more interested in a Gas Station reboot than that of City Corner...

I will say this, Lego...if not this year, GIVE US ONE NEXT YEAR!!

Maybe we should have a poll who's for a new service station, or perhaps a town contest - design a new service station.......I feel that us EB'ers have a better pulse on the Lego world across the board than their designers do. The only requirement for them is a Uni degree in industrial design (thanks to that Nat Geo doco), no requirement for knowledge of geography which includes real town planning which I was taught back in high school.

Seriously, Pekko's Cuusoo project is our best hope for the future of Lego City.......maybe Lego needs to design a Gym for all those coffee drinking, pizza eating minifigs eh ? :laugh:

Now that we know the gas station and only half of the bike shop is gone......what's making it have such a high parts count and has Lego overdone it one way (bike shop) and just enough the other (pizza bar) ?

Maybe we should have a poll who's for a new service station, or perhaps a town contest - design a new service station.......I feel that us EB'ers have a better pulse on the Lego world across the board than their designers do. The only requirement for them is a Uni degree in industrial design (thanks to that Nat Geo doco), no requirement for knowledge of geography which includes real town planning which I was taught back in high school.

Seriously, Pekko's Cuusoo project is our best hope for the future of Lego City.......maybe Lego needs to design a Gym for all those coffee drinking, pizza eating minifigs eh ? :laugh:

Now that we know the gas station and only half of the bike shop is gone......what's making it have such a high parts count and has Lego overdone it one way (bike shop) and just enough the other (pizza bar) ?

Real town planning is more or less irrelevant to working as a LEGO designer, and I don't see how it would offer a better perspective on what kids would buy. There are a lot of things in real towns that kids would frankly find quite boring, or at least not as exciting as police stations, fire stations, and vehicles. I find it hard to imagine that any segment of the fan community has a better handle on what will sell than LEGO designers who have actual sales statistics and market research at their disposal.

I agree LEGO City needs more buildings, and a service station would be great (I have fond memories of set 6562 from my childhood). I also imagine that such a thing could be successful, if not as successful as jumbo jets and fire stations. However, chances are the decisions for what went into this wave of sets are based on more valid sources than guesswork and/or an overreliance on real-world city needs. If there's room in a wave for a service station in the future, I want it to look as cool as this design, but I'm not going to suggest the fanbase has answers that TLG's designers do not. If they were not interested in service stations they would not have built such a concept themselves, but obviously they explored the concept, and it's possible there simply wasn't room for one this wave.

Edited by Aanchir

It seems that everything is based on assumptions.......maybe we should all ask a ten year what he or she would like ?

Now back on topic, does anyone find it odd that the bike shop has a tiled upstairs floor but all bare studs down stairs.....or could it be that the tiling might have been done only for the show ?

That firefighter battle pack is awesome and would be a great way to bump up my firefighter collection if I was going to build a fire station, pitty such things never seem to make it to Australia :(

The police pack is great too and would be a great way to boost your police force (in my case I would probably use the new City Undercover police as SWAT team guys since the vest and stuff makes em look more like that one)

That firefighter battle pack is awesome and would be a great way to bump up my firefighter collection if I was going to build a fire station, pitty such things never seem to make it to Australia :(

The police pack is great too and would be a great way to boost your police force (in my case I would probably use the new City Undercover police as SWAT team guys since the vest and stuff makes em look more like that one)

Ah, it depends on where you buy your Lego from. :wink:

I will clarify and say that I have never seen such things in WA (and I know of every LEGO retailer in this state)

maybe we should all ask a ten year what he or she would like ?

My 3 year old is choosing fire engines every time at the moment. So we have most of the recent fire engines. They're pretty good btw. :wink:

My 3 year old is choosing fire engines every time at the moment. So we have most of the recent fire engines. They're pretty good btw. :wink:

What three year old doesn't like fire trucks.........and Fireman Sam. :wink:

I have been wondering could the great vehicles series be sign posts to future larger sets/sub-themes......i.e. 4x4 with bike trailer leading to bike shop in town centre ? :look:

What three year old doesn't like fire trucks.........and Fireman Sam. :wink:

I have been wondering could the great vehicles series be sign posts to future larger sets/sub-themes......i.e. 4x4 with bike trailer leading to bike shop in town centre ? :look:

Fireman Sam very progressive show inter racial couple, single mom,...female firefighter...

Back on topic...good theory on sign posts in reverse we got the garage then the tow truck so maybe there is something there maybe a campground next year to go with the camper?

Great Find CM4S. This will be a good update of the previous city corner, but I feel that the Crane is a bit misplaced in this set, although it can be used to top off the monument, but would be better as a stand- alone, as some may like to purchase a couple of these sets to extend the bike shop like the pics from the show and also to get extra buses, but will be put off doing this because of the crane. IMO

Looks like an Airport box. It's the same size as the LR Mine so it could be $70, but then again, it could be the size of the Galactic Titan, which is $100.

So this is what we were mean't to get back when that TRU vote a city set happen eh ?

It must be either the crane or bike shop that eats up all those 914 parts ? :blush:

I can't wait to see close ups of the interiors of the building.....though I wonder what the obsession is with particular things at Lego......pizza and motorcycles.....wait remember I wrote about sign posts leading to new sets......the collectable minifigs seem to do the same......there is a motorcycle mechanic in the next series if memory serves me right ? :wink:

Edit - Looking back over the images of the last few days, I see things they could of put in instead of that odd-ball street sweeping tractor.......how about a support ute for the crane, what about a coffee stand or even a post box with mail delivery person....things you would actually see in a town centre ?

I still wonder what goes though the design team's minds when deciding what should hit the shops shelves ?

Edited by lightningtiger

The fire pack seems like a good way to get the chief torso if you weren't otherwise going to buy the fire station.

Great Find CM4S. This will be a good update of the previous city corner, but I feel that the Crane is a bit misplaced in this set, although it can be used to top off the monument, but would be better as a stand- alone, as some may like to purchase a couple of these sets to extend the bike shop like the pics from the show and also to get extra buses, but will be put off doing this because of the crane. IMO

I share the same sentiments. This would have been a automatic pick-up for me if not for that crane, which makes this otherwise great-looking set prohibitively expensive. Really need to contemplate if it's worth to shell out extra bucks for the crane just to get the other elements (bike shop, pizza house, bus, street sweeper) which are really tempting.