Hi, I'm new to this forum but I do frequently read post here. Anyways, I just bought lego 8043 off of lego.shop and the IR sensors are V2's. I wasn't sure if anyone else was aware of this by I'd thought I'd point it out.

My first post and first edit. Haha, When I said sensor, I meant receiver.

Edited by RideFire

Nice and informative first post, nice one :thumbup:

Oh, and welcome to eurobricks :classic:

Edited by allanp

Hi, I'm new to this forum but I do frequently read post here. Anyways, I just bought lego 8043 off of lego.shop and the IR receivers are V2's.

My first post and first edit. Haha, When I said sensor, I meant receiver.

That's interesting, I think from now all IR remote PF sets will get the new V2 receiver. The 8043 is still in production, if I know well.

This means that the price premium that is being charged on bricklink will be less severe as the supply increases.

What makes the V2 receiver special - that is, what is different about it that makes it "Version 2"?

It's suppose to consume less power due to better transistor design.

If I understood correctly from other posts, it's also able to supply more power to attached motors. The RC Buggy motors in particular can benefit from the extra available power.

Edited by chorlton

If I understood correctly from other posts, it's also able to supply more power to attached motors. The RC Buggy motors in particular can benefit from the extra available power.

Let's put it that way: The internal loss (of voltage) within the motor-drivers is less than in the V1-Receivers and thus there is more power available.

btw: anybody already opened a V2 Receiver to identify the piece of circuitry used there?

Let's put it that way: The internal loss (of voltage) within the motor-drivers is less than in the V1-Receivers and thus there is more power available.

btw: anybody already opened a V2 Receiver to identify the piece of circuitry used there?

If you do that, you ll let the magic smoke out and it won t work anymore. *oh2*:grin:

Didn't know that. I bought the 8043 a couple of months ago and when I go back home will check them 4 sure :D

What confuses me is the fact that (I think), the PF excavator powered 2 XL motors from a single V1 receiver. Were there issues there?

@ Sqiddster: Nope, the 8043 Motorized Excavator had no Power Functions XL motors; it has 4 PF M-motors (according to this Bricklink parts inventory). The new PF L-motors require more current than the M-motors, so to be able to drive the 9398 4x4 Crawler on a single port on the PF Receiver, the electronics of the Receiver had to be upgraded.

@ Sqiddster: Nope, the 8043 Motorized Excavator had no Power Functions XL motors; it has 4 PF M-motors (according to this Bricklink parts inventory). The new PF L-motors require more current than the M-motors, so to be able to drive the 9398 4x4 Crawler on a single port on the PF Receiver, the electronics of the Receiver had to be upgraded.

My bad, I meant the bulldozer.

The bulldozer had 2 XL motors, but using separate channels on the receiver. The new 4x4 has two L motors on the same channel, so that's too much power for the older receiver.

The bulldozer had 2 XL motors, but using separate channels on the receiver. The new 4x4 has two L motors on the same channel, so that's too much power for the older receiver.

Right, now I get it. The crawler runs 2 off one channel. Makes sense now. OK ;)

Strictly speaking it is per port (or at least receiver) that there is an issue.

When you say "channel" you assume there is at most only one receiver on each channel.

I've done a MOC were I needed 2 XL motors (or more?) so used two battery packs, two receiver and put them somewhat close together and on the same channel.

When you say "channel" you assume there is at most only one receiver on each channel.

I've done a MOC were I needed 2 XL motors (or more?) so used two battery packs, two receiver and put them somewhat close together and on the same channel.

That would work, but I doubt LEGO would release a model which requires 12 batteries :P

A single battery pack can power two XL motors. Use rechargeable batteries (they can deliver more amps).

Comparison of old and new IR receivers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYE6ZUF-pWse

As sad Philo "RC Race Buggy Motor 5292 is really powerful, but requires a power supply up to the task. 5292 motors that consumes more than 3A when stalled"

http://www.philohome.com/motors/motorcomp.htm

New receiver gives old and powerful motor the new life. Sad that this awesome motor is already discontinued:( hope TLG present us new fast and powerful motor.

Cool, I just ordered one for £11.50 and 2 XL motors for £7.99 each. Cheaper than bricklink and ebay, to my surprise.

Can anyone in Canada confirm this ?

Because I wrote to Lego last week and here is the response I got :

Thank you for contacting us on 01/04/13 and for your interest in LEGO® brand products.

We do offer a Replacement Part Service to assist our consumers with extra parts. Part #8884 LEGO Power Functions IR Receiver is the standard version of that element and it's available on our website. You can order the IR Receiver from set #9398 4x4 Crawler from our replacement parts service but it would be more expensive than the standard element 8884. And ,unfortunately, the IR Receiver from our replacement parts area is unavailable until 1-19-13.

@ Mordalak: Welcome to Eurobricks! :classic: Although I'm an American, I "pretended" I lived in Canada by doing a "Change Region" move on the top-right corner of this Lego 8884 webpage: http://shop.lego.com/en-CA/LEGO-Power-Functions-IR-Receiver-8884 . The 8884 Lego Power Functions Infrared Receiver is indeed "Available Now" for CAD $18.99.