Fat Tony

Smaug the Tremendous

This is soooo cool! The illustration Deathleech posted instantly came to my mind when I saw your MOC! One of my favourite scenes / illustrations from The Hobbit and you have done an outstanding job recreating it with bricks. Very nice! :wub:

Beautiful work Fat Tony. Wonderful idea, superb execution. Very very impressive in every aspect. The tiled floor is especially nice, and the blend between foil and lego works probably even better than you hoped. Can Smaug now hold his head up? The folded wings are really great. Masterful build.

:classic:

I wonder whether Lego can match this model?

Maybe they can help with a pile of Gold and treasure from an official set. :thumbup:

Wow! Thanks everyone, I'm glad to see Smaug is such a hit! I wasn't sure how well the non-LEGO gold would be recieved but it looks like it's been accepted. The floor was inspired by some of Eilonwy77's amazing floors but I simplified it for more of a Dwarven look. I'm just disappointed that so little of it showed under the treasure.

The design of this is based on cover art for one of the versions of the Hobbit, isn't it? The pose seems very familiar.

I studied a lot of artwork to get the look and feel right but it wasn't based on any one picture.

How many The One Ring's from sets 9470&9472 did you use? Just curious.

As of right now I don't actually own any of the LOTR sets yet so there aren't any of the One Ring in the treasure pile.

I'm working on Smaug's wings now. When I get those finished I'll see if I can get some action shots to post.

Thanks again!

love the idea behind the MOC, and my favourite part is the very realistic head!

but agree with the above, more pics on the hind legs would put some doubts to rest :)

Who DARES question Smaug the Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities?!

13459374392_DISPLAY.jpg

Here are a couple new shots of Smaug.

The hind legs are jointed just like an animals. The lower portion doesn't

quite fold up as flat as it should though, so it does look a little strange

when he is laying. Here you can see it stretching out better.

The wings are made from red vinyl and I added red electrical tape to the joints

to firm them up to help support his weight.

13459374614_DISPLAY.jpg

There's a few more new images over at MOCpages.

Wow! I didn't realize the dragon was playable and poseable like that. How much of it did you change, if any, just added the tape and the vinyl?

Creating the fiery breath is not easy in LEGO, but you pulled it off. An impressive amount of flame pieces there, do they stick together firmly?

you had me fooled with the foil for a while, great effect! the dragon is also great. I wonder wht TLG will make of this?

I didn't realize how big your Smaug actually is until I saw this! :thumbup: After getting a better look at him, he truly is "Smaug the Magnificent" and "Smaug the Tremendous". :classic:

Your Smaug looks really good :thumbup:

Also great idea to use the gold foil, works out perfectly :wub:

Would be very cool to have such a dragon (maybe you could put it on CUSSOO?) :sweet:

Wow! That is such a cool moc and i like the tile floor and wings. :grin:

Is the tail posable? Because in the pics its in the same position.

And also could you post a pic of the model with a miinifigure to show scale?

After seeing the trailer of the movie today i decided this is the best moc ever!!!! It is really awesome man, just in time

nice build,

wonderfull idea of using the foil, and the 'stamps' of lego in it to make it look like a pile of lego gold

Your gold coin technique with foil is fantastic. I think when the new hobbit movie comes out, many will use your technique for the builds. Dragon great, treasure great, tile floor great.

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT SMAUG!!!!! Now if only Lego would produce a Smaug in one of their Hobbit sets! Still waiting..... :dangry: