Cy-Gor

Is moonbase dead?

So I started messing with a moonbase building and started searching around.

Maybe a new corridor here and there but other than that nothing.

Has the standard been abandoned? how about the micro standard?

What do you guys think?

I haven't seen anything done with them recently either. Kinda disappointing, moonbases are pretty cool.

I have also been messing with the moon base standard and there are a few others out there posting on BrickShelf and Flicker. However, it seems that Jon Palmer (I think) the man who started the standard has stopped posting.

I'm also hoping that the moon base standard keeps up because it's nice to have a standard to take to LUGs and Cons.

I think the moonbase standard is still the way to go when building a base. But haven't seen anything lately, last year there was a massive ldd project if I'm not mistaken.

It's still around and perfectly valid as far as I'm concerned. It's just not used as much... Though I would definitely go to that standard if I was creating a large moon layout to bring somewhere with other collaborators.

I think part of the reason it's losing market share, is that collaborators are starting to build bigger and in smaller teams, thus a rigid standard isn't as necessary. With today's fancy technology it's easy to work with people far apart on building a uniform interlocked build - look at Tyler and Nannan - I have no idea where who starts and who ends...

That being said, I do kinda miss the "United Nations" feel to moon bases being different modules that are placed on the moon....

Oh and and someday I _WILL_ build a moonbase ... I already have a bunch of modules planned out... just need to get enough interested party to join with me...or I'll build it all myself. :devil::laugh:

Here is what i have been working on:

Long range orbital defense. with anti air and anti personnel defenses

7180437763_a7e8c0a2df.jpg

LDDScreenShot225 by captainoftheknights, on Flickr

I took the base and will be modding it for a command module for fire control and communications.

maybe we can get a bit of a revival of the standard.

I'm planning to some day make a moonbase in the future, but at the moment I don't have the parts. It will be trans lime and dark grey though and will use a lot of old-fashioned parts.

I dunno. I haven't seen any moonbase MOCs recently, and I don't really intend to build anything of the sort in the near future... Still, they are nice, and at least the standard should continue...

Here is what i have been working on:

Long range orbital defense. with anti air and anti personnel defenses

7180437763_a7e8c0a2df.jpg

LDDScreenShot225 by captainoftheknights, on Flickr

I took the base and will be modding it for a command module for fire control and communications.

maybe we can get a bit of a revival of the standard.

Love to see a revival. I don't recall much, if any, moonbase @ BrickCon last year but there was plenty a few years ago.

And just FYI, your module doesn't actually meet the standard. You would need to build a connecting section as the hatches need to be raised to the correct height. Hatches at "ground level" are optional embellishments.

Love to see a revival. I don't recall much, if any, moonbase @ BrickCon last year but there was plenty a few years ago.

And just FYI, your module doesn't actually meet the standard. You would need to build a connecting section as the hatches need to be raised to the correct height. Hatches at "ground level" are optional embellishments.

I didn't realize that. This is part of why I posted this.

I do plan on making a command and control module to attach to the building so that will be able to connect into the raised ones.

Moonbase is alive and well. DelVaLUG is currently doing larger layouts on the eastern part of the states. We are currently moddifing the baseplate height by increasing it 5 plates higher. This allows for terrain that has sadly been missed. It also helps create a locking system for the 2x2x10 support girders.

Moonbase

Necrobumping with new content.

I'm also starting up on Moonbase again. I am, however, using baseplates with an additional plate and brick in height for a more interesting base. I'm also using technic bricks/pins to keep the modules together like in the microscale standard which makes a layout much more stable.

My first module was at Klodsfest this year where it drove around. I'm planning on making additional modules to make it company.

futuron_turtle1_2.jpg

It has standard connectors so it can connect to old Moonbase modules, as long as they stay on the raised base plate.

futuron_turtle1_model_2_resized.jpg

My plates consisted of a ring of fire which kept the module inside... most of the time (it almost fell to the floor at one point).

futuron_turtle1_4_resized.jpg

im starting to work on a moonbase modual with a mix of galaxy squad blue team and ADU as the theme. just gota get more parts....

Heh, it's funny, it's almost a year later, and I'm in the exact same spot for my Moonbase project...

As in previsualization dreaming :look:

That looks pretty great Lasse, I hope the standard comes back more.

There will be both a regular sized moon base and micro moonbase at Brickfete 2013.

Hey I didn't know you were going to Brickfete!

Post some WIPs! This might make me want to add a module or two :)

I have done several of them (some may become vehicle, some may become spaceship, some are just plain moonbases in classic space baseplate range of 1 or 2) but not rendered them yet, maybe later... :wink::sceptic::tongue:

But what I do not like on the concept is its "over-dimensioned" scale, I rather do bases for "normal" minifigures like those sets from 80's, sorry folks. :grin::devil:

Necrobumping with new content.

I'm also starting up on Moonbase again. I am, however, using baseplates with an additional plate and brick in height for a more interesting base. I'm also using technic bricks/pins to keep the modules together like in the microscale standard which makes a layout much more stable.

My first module was at Klodsfest this year where it drove around. I'm planning on making additional modules to make it company.

It has standard connectors so it can connect to old Moonbase modules, as long as they stay on the raised base plate.

My plates consisted of a ring of fire which kept the module inside... most of the time (it almost fell to the floor at one point).

Hey, that is one perfect moto-base design (although a bit oversized for my taste, but stil superb concept, really!) :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

BTW I did some similar stuff before...have to render it and post also...maybe once. :blush:

Edited by bublible

I don't know what the "Moonbase Standard" is. Where can I find out more about all this stuff?

I don't know what the "Moonbase Standard" is. Where can I find out more about all this stuff?

http://www.brickwiki...lding_standards

http://www.brickwiki...o/wiki/Moonbase

http://www.brickwiki...Moonbase_module

http://www.brickwiki.../Micro_Moonbase

(oops. This thread was queued up in a tab a few hours ago and didn't know the post above had been posted during that time before I posted. One of the links I posted is the same as tedbeard's, and the other three can be found from it I think.)

Edited by m0dulo

Mike from DelVaLug has started a group on Facebook for the improved "2012" standard Moonbase that we use as a part of our Delvalug layout.

The link to the group is here: https://www.facebook...448842361848374

Pictures of the DelVaLug Moonbase 2012 Layout can be found here: https://www.flickr.c...roups/delvalug/

Essentially, the 2012 standard is the same except we have replaced the single base plate to a base plate, one brick and two plates (5 plates higher than the baseplate.) Or you can set a plate on 2X4 bricks turned on their side to achieve the same effect. By increasing the height of the baseplates, we can now build craters into the layout and well as create a foundation to anchor the elevated parts of the moon base so a train or monorail derailment will not know down the structures.

Edited by cgarison