Sign in to follow this  
Darth Nihilus

Future LotR and Hobbit sets

Just for fun, use names for your sets that are classic lines from the movies.

Instead of "Gandalf vs. the Balrog," it should be called "You shall not pass!"

Instead of "Pelennor Fields," it should be called "Ride to ruin and the world's ending!"

The "Entrance to Moria," should be "Speak friend, and enter."

OK, I'm bored. Sorry.

Edited by fred67

There are some good ideas in this thread, so I won't post all of the ideas I had, just a few small ones:

- a "Siege of Minas Tirith" small army builder set, similar to the 9471 addition to Helm's Deep.

With: a piece of wall with Gondor archer, Gondor spearman, 2 orcs, and a troll with a catapult (play feature! :grin:)

(hopefully TLG will still produce battlepacks alongside these small army-building sets)

- Mount Doom: small vignette of a ledge over some lava, with Frodo, Sam and Gollum (and maybe a great eagle)

- a Lorien tree with a flet/talan, 2-3 Lorien elves, 2-3 Moria goblins (who would be pursuing the fellowship - a scene from the books, not the movies, though could be a nice army-builder and Lorien expander)

Alternatively, it could have more elves and any member of the fellowship who won't appear as often in other sets, or only in big sets.

- a "Lighting of the beacon" set with a small tower structure, 1-2 Gondor guards, Pippin, and probably Gandalf the White

(it could also include the leprechaun pot in black, for the oil used to light the beacon)

- a mumak (either brick built or the elephant mold with some bricks added - I prefer molded animals, but the mumak would probably be too big for that)

with: 2 riders of Rohan, an elephant driver, 1-2 Haradrim archers

I have tried to keep the minifig count as low as realistic (= low) as possible. I have also contcentrated on generic figs, as I would prefer more of those for army building, rather than the main characters.

I wonder whether TLG wil do Orthanc, and how they will solve the scale issue vis a vis minifigs and Ents. It would be possible to make an OK-looking Orthanc with regard to minifigs, but even Treebeard, who should be at least 3x taller than minifigs, had to look up to Saruman on his balcony. And the balcony was still in the lower part of Orthanc...

BTW, my post count is eleventy-one today!

I total agree!

I prefer also more army building sets. :thumbup: My dream are army sets like your ideas or classic Battle Packs similar to Star Wars. Battle Packs without main characters are more as perfect for LotR!

I think the Orthanc tower will be very difficult. The tower is very massive and that is expensive. And expensive sets are (almost always) special exclusive sets. I don't believe that LEGO develops this tower as play set for kids. That set will be a big one for our elderly LEGO fans. :sweet:

But I think that the balcony will be similar so high like Treebeards face. Maybe a bit higher. But not much.

The Mumak:

Exact my thought! Please no main characters in that set, because the army builders want the Mumak 2x or 3x times! The Mumak IS a army building set.

I think all siege sets with siege towers or catapults (everything what we see more as just 1x time) should be army building sets without main characters.

Converse are things what we see just 1x time. For example Grond the battering ram or the Gate of Minas Tirith, Minas Tirith beacon or the Citadel with the White tree. These sets should be a place for our main characters.

Edited by Elander

I think all siege sets with siege towers or catapults (everything what we see more as just 1x time) should be army building sets without main characters.

Converse are things what we see just 1x time. For example Grond the battering ram or the Gate of Minas Tirith, Minas Tirith beacon or the Citadel with the White tree. These sets should be a place for our main characters.

Agreed. Actually, the first wave indicates TLG will go on that direction. Now if they only made as many army builders and/or battlepacks...

4. Tom Bombadil

Well this (and a couple of others) won't be happening. Movie characters only!

I think at some point they have to do The the bridge at Khazad Dum (Gandalf vs Balrog). It's kind of a no brainer.

* Apart from that I'd love to see some midi or architecture style renditions of some Middle Earth landmarks.

* Some kind of pack containing the entire Fellowship (so I don't have to buy as many sets to get them!).

* A Gray Havens set would be nice but seems pretty unlikely. It's more emotional than action orientated and I don't think stuff like that would sell well.

I like a lot of other suggestions I've seen here as well. But I can't see myself buying too many sets overall.

Here are some nice additions from the LotR trilogy:

The Shire

Hobbit house with round door and front garden

Figs: Bilbo, Frodo and Gandalf

Orthanc

Tower of Orthanc (sized down) with brick build eagle

Figs: Saruman, Gandalf

Rivendel

Elfen shrine and the water scale

Figs: Elrond, Arwen, Galadriel and Frodo

Gandalf vs Balrog

Collapsing bridge with bruick build Balrog

Figs: Gandalf

Last march of the Elms

Brick build Treebeard

Figs: Merry, Pippin

Path of the dead

Scenery of inside the path of dead

Figs: Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas and 2 or 3 dead kings

Battle of Osgilliath

Scenery of ruins of Osgilliath and a brick build Fellbeast

Figs: Faramir, Boromir, Gothmag and Nazgul

Fall of the Witchking

Small scenery with a brick build Fell beast

Figs: Witchking, Éowyn

Mount Doom

Last scene of the movie

Figs: Frodo, Samwise, Gollum

Some more ideas when I see the movies again

I would really want a Rivendell set (like Diagon Alley), with multiple play features:

Play feature 1

Elven building with big bed, where Frodo is brought when he got stabbed.

Figs in this scene: Frodo, Gandalf, Arwen and Elrond

Play feature 2

Piece of forest with water plate, where Frodo meets Galadriel and gets a vision

Figs in this scene: Frodo and Galadriel

Play feature 3

The main balcony with a lot of chairs, a stone table and some scenery (with the ring)

Figs in this scene: The counsel of Elrond (some elfs, dwarfs and humands).

Enough to play all scenes in Rivendell and enough material for MOCers.

Diagon Alley had 11 minifigs, so this set could include as many:

Frodo, Gandalf, Arwen, Elrond, Galadriel

2 elfs, 2 dwarfs and 2 humans

I would buy at least 2 of these sets :sweet:

Edited by narbilu

I would really want a Rivendell set (like Diagon Alley), with multiple play features:

Play feature 2

Piece of forest with water plate, where Frodo meets Galadriel and gets a vision

Figs in this scene: Frodo and Galadrie

This part is in Lothlorien not in Rivendell. this could work as a small set similar to Gandalf arrives, but I wouldnt want this cause it would be another set with frodo in it, add in a random elf and it would be a nice deal.

Just a thought...

The younger LEGO builder needs for playing "Play Sets"

Army builder needs for big armies "Battle Packs"

And the elderly LEGO builder needs for building... ..."Modular Building Sets"

Every modular building set would be like a big variable brick. Everybody could with some different modular sets (based of Rivendell) build his one's own Rivendell.

...yepp, I do know what do you now say: "CREATOR, modular or other variable things are for LEGO too innovative. :sceptic:

Some more nice (playfeatured) sets would be:

Edoras and the Golden Hall, simular to the "City of Atlantis" set.

€ 69,99 - approx 700 pieces

Minifigs:

Théoden, Éowyn, Aragorn, Sharku and a second orc (Wargrider)

Scenery:

Golden Hall, some furniture with the stairs

A brick build rock and some scenery, fitted for Edoras landscape

Extra features:

Brick build warg

Horse

The road to Helm's Deep, simular to "Battle for Geonosis" set.

€ 39,99 - approx 300 pieces

Minifigs:

Rowan Rider, Rowan soldier, a Edoras peasant and 2 orcs (wargriders)

Scenery:

A brick build rock and a dead tree

Two brick build wargs

The sets i want to see the most are:

1. Isengard

I know this would be a very hard location for lego to build but i believe they could do it and I'm not just talking about othanc but the pits of Isengard along with all the machinery and towers we see in the film. it would be a very large set indeed and i can't see how lego could build this without using at least 2500 pieces. this is my favourite location in the films.

Figures included: Saruman the white, Grima Wormtongue, 2 Dunlendings, 4 uruk-ha.

2. The bridge of Khazad-Dum

Seeing as lego have already made a mines of Moria set which includes Balins tome, I believe we need the other part of Moria and in my opinion where the greatest scene in the fellowship takes place. the set would be of medium size with the main bridge itself, two small parts of land on either side of the bridge.

Figures included: A fully brick built Balrog of Morgoth, Gandalf the Grey, 2 goblin archers.

3. Barad-dur

Saurons great tower would be a very large set with many pieces. I would like to see the set come with the tower itself with a long bridge at the bottom so orcs can march across. Of course the eye of Sauron would be at the top hopefully with turnable bricks so we can adjust which direction the eye is watching.

Figures included: 6 Mordor orcs.

4. Rivendell

Another large set which would include the main building which we see in the films where the elvish library is and the room where the sword Narsil rests. Hopefully the council of Elrond will be part of this set also. The main bridge in Rivendell should also be featured in this set.

Figures included: 4 Elvish warriors, Arwen, Elrond.

5. Hobbiton

Large set with 4 different hobit houses each one being very different and unique and amongst those houses bag end.

Figures included: Rosie, Frodo, Bilbo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, 2 random hobbits.

I hope you've enjoyed reading my ideas.

Helm's battle and the Uruk-hai battlepack adds upp to some larger castle building,

lets hope for more such small castle-parts and towers, maybe one for each theme update.

This years winter exclusive must be some great building of isengard.

Last I'd like a medium set with parts of Rivendel,

perhaps a sandgreen roof, with rare slender dark red and tan wall structures.

Something that will add up to great MOCs if you add together 4 or more sets.

My list

Fangorn Forest

Merry, Pipin and 2 ents maybe some trees for scenery.

Corsair Ship

One of the ships from RotK. 4 corsairs, I would not want Aragorn, Legolas or Gimli and definitely not any of the dead. The more corsairs the better.

Easterling Patrol

3 easterlings, Frodo, Sam and golem and some rocks. Again, I don't mind about the heroes, the more easterlings the better.

Isengard Pit

3 Uruk, ent some Isengard scenery. Enough said.

Mumak

A mumak with 4 Harad archers and the guy with the blue face paint, and Legolas. I would prefer if they used a large elephant mold with 4 extra tusks instead of a brick built one. the basket would be brick built of course. The more haradrim the better again :tongue: If it was an elephant mold it would be cool if it had war paint and entranched arrows printed on.

Dunlend raid

3 Dunelend raiders, 2 Rohan peasents and a hut or two.

Thoughts?

My list

Fangorn Forest

Merry, Pipin and 2 ents maybe some trees for scenery.

Corsair Ship

One of the ships from RotK. 4 corsairs, I would not want Aragorn, Legolas or Gimli and definitely not any of the dead. The more corsairs the better.

Easterling Patrol

3 easterlings, Frodo, Sam and golem and some rocks. Again, I don't mind about the heroes, the more easterlings the better.

Isengard Pit

3 Uruk, ent some Isengard scenery. Enough said.

Mumak

A mumak with 4 Harad archers and the guy with the blue face paint, and Legolas. I would prefer if they used a large elephant mold with 4 extra tusks instead of a brick built one. the basket would be brick built of course. The more haradrim the better again :tongue: If it was an elephant mold it would be cool if it had war paint and entranched arrows printed on.

Dunlend raid

3 Dunelend raiders, 2 Rohan peasents and a hut or two.

Thoughts?

You have focused to much on the mini-figures than the set itself which is much more important

I was going to write a list of hopeful LOTR sets, but it turned into one idea for a large set and a sort of minifigure checklist :D The ones in bold are coming out in the first wave. Could someone confirm if Merry and Pippin have made an appearance in the prelims?

Definite Minifigures (Due to importance to plot, etc) and some to have more than one appearance:

Frodo (Coat design and Dishevelled design)

Sam (Coat design and Dishevelled design)

Merry (Coat design and Rohan armour design)

Pippin (Coat design and Gondor armour design)

Aragorn (Ranger design and King Design)

Gandalf (Gandalf the Grey design and Gandalf the White design)

Eowyn (Shild Maiden design and Armour design)

Theoden (Robe design and Armour design)

Legolas

Gimli

Eomer

Arwen

Galadriel

Denethor

Saruman

Grima Wormtongue

Lurtz

Also, these characters should appear, although their secondary designs would be a bonus:

Bilbo (FOTR design and ROTK design)

Boromir (Standard design and Armour design)

Faramir (Ranger design and Armour design)

Elrond (Robe design and Armour design)

These characters would require new moulds (And Sauron would have to be taller than regular figures):

Sauron

The Witch King

Gollum

Gothmog

These characters could appear, depending on the sets Lego produces:

Rosie Cotton

Barliman Butterbur

Celeborn

Haldir

Hama

Gamling

These creatures should appear:

Treebeard and Ents

Gwailhir Eagles

Shelob

Fell Beasts

Watcher in the Water

Cave Trolls

Mountain Trolls

Balrog

Mumakil

Wargs

Armies that should appear:

Rohirrim

Rohan Soldiers

Gondorian Soldiers (Citadel Guards and Guards of the Fountain Court if I was being greedy :D)

Lorien Elves

Orcs

Goblins

Uruk-hai

Easterlings

Haradrim

Corsairs

Wild Men

The Other Eight Nazgul

The King of the Dead and the Army of the Dead would be good. As see-through minifigures are impossible, is it possible to make minifigures entirely out of glow in the dark plastic?

Perhaps that list is a little too hopeful, but I don't think any of those characters are unreasonable, all being main or supporting characters in the film series.

Anyway, the set I was thinking of was the Shire. It would be like Diagon Alley, in that it has three main buildings with accessories, as well as a large amount of minifigures. However, as the Shire is Hobbie-sized, it would be a smaller set in terms of piece count and price. The main buildings of the Shire focussed on in the movies are Bag End and the Green Dragon, the pub. The third building would be the Mill, as it is one of the few buildings in the Shire )I think the only other one that springs to mind is the Green Dragon that is not build as a hole in the ground. It's a water mill, that could fit any number of play features as well as compliment one of the smaller accessories, the bridge.

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/kb/000008.jpg

I think that would look rather wonderful in brick form :D

The other accessories would be Bag End's Gate (No admittance except on party business), a tree and a party tent with food, drink and a bench. A few animals (I remember pigs and chickens from the movie) would also be included. The Green Dragon would have a bar, tables and beer barrels, and Bag end would have a writing desk with the Red Book, a fireplace, a chest, a kitchen and a dining room.

The minifigures included would be:

Gandalf the Grey, Frodo (Coat design), Bilbo, Sam, Rosie Cotton, Gaffer, Ted Sandyman and two other Hobbits. These could be Merry and Pippin, or two random Hobbits (I think I'd prefer at least one more female Hobbit, or a Hobbit child)

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I would love to see a LoTR Games set. It actually seems farly feasible, as there are now SW and HP ones.

Given Lord of the Rings set ideas covering the Rings Trilogy have been pretty much covered in some detail....I would like to add some things from The Hobbit I would like to see:

- Meeting the Dwarves in Bag End

- The party vs the Trolls

- Secrets of the Map in Rivendfell that could be added on with later Rivendell sets from the Rings Trilogy

- Misty Mountains Goblin attack

- Misty Mountains goblin tunnels

- Bilbo encounter with Golum

- Company saved by Eagles

- House of Beorn (including a figure of Beorn in Bear form)

- Bilbo with sting and giant spiders in Mirkwood

- Wood Elf Dungeon encounter

- River escape with the party in barrels

- Lake Town

- Secret door to Smaug's lair

- Smaug encounter (such an opportunity for an epic Dragon!!!)

- Lake Town Smaug Attack (including minifig of Bard the slayer of Smaug)

- Mountain Seige

- Battle of the Five Armies

I agree with the many suggestions for serious army building and the opportunities across the books are endless....elves, dwarves, men (with many cultures to choose from), orcs, goblins, warg riders, ents, etc.

There are also many opportunities for incredible castles, amazing landscapes and lots of trees.

I mean, let face it, the possibilities are almost enless and this theme could be running for years!

I was going to write a list of hopeful LOTR sets, but it turned into one idea for a large set and a sort of minifigure checklist :D The ones in bold are coming out in the first wave. Could someone confirm if Merry and Pippin have made an appearance in the prelims?

Definite Minifigures (Due to importance to plot, etc) and some to have more than one appearance:

Frodo (Coat design and Dishevelled design)

Sam (Coat design and Dishevelled design)

Merry (Coat design and Rohan armour design)

Pippin (Coat design and Gondor armour design)

Aragorn (Ranger design and King Design)

Gandalf (Gandalf the Grey design and Gandalf the White design)

Eowyn (Shild Maiden design and Armour design)

Theoden (Robe design and Armour design)

Legolas

Gimli

Eomer

Arwen

Galadriel

Denethor

Saruman

Grima Wormtongue

Lurtz

Also, these characters should appear, although their secondary designs would be a bonus:

Bilbo (FOTR design and ROTK design)

Boromir (Standard design and Armour design)

Faramir (Ranger design and Armour design)

Elrond (Robe design and Armour design)

These characters would require new moulds (And Sauron would have to be taller than regular figures):

Sauron

The Witch King

Gollum

Gothmog

These characters could appear, depending on the sets Lego produces:

Rosie Cotton

Barliman Butterbur

Celeborn

Haldir

Hama

Gamling

These creatures should appear:

Treebeard and Ents

Gwailhir Eagles

Shelob

Fell Beasts

Watcher in the Water

Cave Trolls

Mountain Trolls

Balrog

Mumakil

Wargs

Armies that should appear:

Rohirrim

Rohan Soldiers

Gondorian Soldiers (Citadel Guards and Guards of the Fountain Court if I was being greedy :D)

Lorien Elves

Orcs

Goblins

Uruk-hai

Easterlings

Haradrim

Corsairs

Wild Men

The Other Eight Nazgul

The King of the Dead and the Army of the Dead would be good. As see-through minifigures are impossible, is it possible to make minifigures entirely out of glow in the dark plastic?

Perhaps that list is a little too hopeful, but I don't think any of those characters are unreasonable, all being main or supporting characters in the film series.

Anyway, the set I was thinking of was the Shire. It would be like Diagon Alley, in that it has three main buildings with accessories, as well as a large amount of minifigures. However, as the Shire is Hobbie-sized, it would be a smaller set in terms of piece count and price. The main buildings of the Shire focussed on in the movies are Bag End and the Green Dragon, the pub. The third building would be the Mill, as it is one of the few buildings in the Shire )I think the only other one that springs to mind is the Green Dragon that is not build as a hole in the ground. It's a water mill, that could fit any number of play features as well as compliment one of the smaller accessories, the bridge.

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/kb/000008.jpg

I think that would look rather wonderful in brick form :D

The other accessories would be Bag End's Gate (No admittance except on party business), a tree and a party tent with food, drink and a bench. A few animals (I remember pigs and chickens from the movie) would also be included. The Green Dragon would have a bar, tables and beer barrels, and Bag end would have a writing desk with the Red Book, a fireplace, a chest, a kitchen and a dining room.

The minifigures included would be:

Gandalf the Grey, Frodo (Coat design), Bilbo, Sam, Rosie Cotton, Gaffer, Ted Sandyman and two other Hobbits. These could be Merry and Pippin, or two random Hobbits (I think I'd prefer at least one more female Hobbit, or a Hobbit child)

Merry and Pippin aren't in any of the summer 2012 sets which is what annoys me especially seeing as we are going to have Frodo and Sam duplicates.

Edited by Saruman the White

Merry and Pippin aren't in any of the summer 2012 sets which is what annoys me especially seeing as we are going to have Frodo and Sam duplicates.

Merry is in the Weathertop set, Pippin is in the Mines of Moria..

So, no.. we won't have many Frodo and Sam duplicates, as Sam will only appear in one set in the first wave, and Frodo has 3 different variations for this wave.

~ General Magma

Not according to this article

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings

Brickipedia isn't the best place for sources. The box art differs from these lists - I believe Merry is in Weathertop, as he looks nothing like Sam in Shelob Attacks. I think there's somebody missing from Helm's Deep, as well as Moria.

Corsair Ship

Great suggestion, I would love this. This set has a lot of potential. I would want LEGO to make this set with a high piece count to make sure that it comes out good.

You have focused to much on the mini-figures than the set itself which is much more important

TBH as long as the building/vehicle is up to the standard most lego models are, I am happy. I could make my own Helms Deep but I can't make Uruks or Elves.