wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Helms Deep looks great. The dwarf-tossing catapult looks like a bit of fun, as does the exploding Deeping Wall. The interior looks surprisingly good, although the fact that it's a kind of fusion between Helms Deep and the Edoras throne room makes me doubtful we'll see a Golden Hall set any time soon. I love the Rohan helmet, the mold is just generic enough to suit Theoden, Eomer and the Royal Guard, yet the printing makes it look unique for each character.

IIRC, the preliminary set had 5 Uruks, but it looks like it's been cut down to 4 now. I'm a little disappointed with how the Berserker turned out. I suppose it's understandable they wouldn't make a new helmet mold for such a minor character (and the printed head doesn't look too bad anyway), but they could've at least given him the same skin colour as the rest of the Uruks. He looks a little out of place standing next to the regular dark red Uruks. A bit of a shame the Uruks use the old halberds instead of new pikes, but I understand TLC can't make new molds for everything.

Moria is fantastic too. This may be one of the few sets I'll use the stickers for. Poor Balin, it looks like there's a play feature that springs him out of his tomb. I'm loving the cave troll. My one gripe is that the Goblins use Uruk shields, but I suppose I'll just give them to the shieldless Uruk-Hai in the other sets.

All in all, great stuff! :wub:

So Orc Forge is "hard to find" contains a light brick and images & parts are still preliminary. I didn't notice anyone else mentioning this yet but the figures listed on the box are: Mordor Orc x3, Isengard Uruk Hai, Lurtz.

The Rohan banner in Helms Deep looks really nice, and there's a cool little throne with printed or stickered tile by the look of things. The exploding wall is awesome, but like others I'm not so excited about the berserker's head print. I'd rather it had a real helmet piece, but understand it would probably never be reused in another set. The AFOL level of detail in the walls makes this and similar sets look great. As with the bases, all that rock slope work. Theoden's prints are amazing. Haldir honestly doesn't look like Haldir to me.

I wouldn't be the first to mention all the stickers in Mines of Moria, which I hate, but they do make a huge difference in improving the detail. The troll looks great, the two-faced orcs is good news too. Boromir still looks like Theoden to me though.

Like many, still not sure what the bottom part of Weathertop is supposed to be. As someone else mentioned it reminds me of the barrows but what that has to do with this scene I don't know. The horses look awesome, but unfortunately won't have much reuse for mocs other than evil horses. It is a pity there aren't any normal faced new black horses. It also doesn't look like the old horae helmets will work well with the new horses. Will have to wait and see. Lots of plain microfigs there.

Someone on Flickr alerted me to the new bracket piece used in the Uruk Hai Army set on the ballista or grappling hook shooty thing whatever it is. That looks like a very useful part!

I don't know why Shelob has wheels, and I'm a bit disappointed that black string is used however the box has white so maybe that's what we'll end up with, but the printed wedge slope brick is excellent! Frodo's other face is awesome too.

Gandalf's beard part probably lacks long hair because the cape wouldn't fit well with it.

Okay, all sets look excellent, looking forward to building them!

A bit of a shame the Uruks use the old halberds instead of new pikes, but I understand TLC can't make new molds for everything.

I would have prefered them using black or dark gray Spartan spear

It's not like the uruks in the movie all came in with long megablocks axes.

Would it be this?

Gandalf: Here lies Balin, son of Fundin, Lord of Moria

No. It is what you quoted. :hmpf:

All of the sets look exceptional, and are pretty well-priced. The only sets that seem a bit overpriced are Attack on Weathertop, the Orc Forge, and Gandalf Arrives.

Where did you guys see the interior of the Helm's Deep set? Sorry, but I guess I lost that pics :(

Any links?

Where did you guys see the interior of the Helm's Deep set? Sorry, but I guess I lost that pics :(

Any links?

Fbtb's flicker!

Thanks for the link, but is there a place where I can get these pics and save to my computer? Flickr doesn't allow me to do so.

Seriously are you going to save all those pictures on Flickr, there must be hundreds

A lot of great shots of the new LotR sets, if there is only one set I could get it would be Mines of Moria, the ogre is great, good selection of hero characters and a couple of goblins for good measure, really like how TLG have done the doors, detailed and chunky like the real thing.

That ring is so shiny, me wants a preciousss too :devil:

So many people are wondering about the inside of Weathertop?

Toy Fair 2012 - The Lord of the Rings - 9472 Attack on Weathertop - 35

I can't believe how accurate LEGO is following the LOTR lore, but that looks like a palantir holder! Weathertop used to house a palantir according to the books! The other side looks like a trap door/spear trap.

I see that even in a hill Lego couldn't stop flick-fire missiles. :facepalm: Is it just me, or are the prices higher than at first. I was thinking Helms Deep was only $100.

I see that even in a hill Lego couldn't stop flick-fire missiles. :facepalm: Is it just me, or are the prices higher than at first. I was thinking Helms Deep was only $100.

Never on this life. :laugh:

Well 130 dollars for the pieces received and the great set, plus wonderful minifigs is right to me.

Although I remember it was said costed 120 dollars and were 9 minifigs. I would have prefered that version. :grin:

I have determined that, with tax, all of these sets would cost $470 CAD. Not as bad as I expected, but since I'm planning on buy two of the Orc Forge and the Uruk-hai army sets, it will bump it up to $650.

I have determined that, with tax, all of these sets would cost $470 CAD. Not as bad as I expected, but since I'm planning on buy two of the Orc Forge and the Uruk-hai army sets, it will bump it up to $650.

US total (with the one of each) is 373.

I'm not gonna try for any multiples because I'm going after complete series of Marvel and collectible minifigures as well, bringing me to 700USD.

They supposedly have a Hobbit board game, though they only had a placeholder sign in front of a box with a still from the film. I'll hold onto some cash fo' that too.

400$ for the lot. My wallet just looked at me in disgust.

Ouch, luckily I only plan to collect the fellowship (plus gollum), too many new themes this year already burning my wallet :devil:

Now that FBTB posted all their pics, my thoughts:

9469 Gandalf Arrives - The new horse is a really nice combination of the new and old styles. TLG's kept the same basic shape and same curves in the body area, plus the hard edges of the rear end from the old horse. That being said, the head really doesn't seem like LEGO to me. With the hinge in the back of the horse, though... I think I'll get this one.

9470 Shelob Attacks - This is a really good looking spider - much better than the one in the HP set. Nothing I really want from it, though, so also a pass.

9471 Uruk-Hai Army - Minifigs look incredible, and the Uruk-hai would be great for future Heroica quests. I'm not sure about this one, yet.

9472 Attack on Weathertop - There're supposed to be 400+ pieces, but this looks like a very small set. Especially for $60. Pass.

9473 Mines of Moria - Eveyrthing looks great about this set, but at the same time, nothing stands out to me - I'm not sure if I would rather the money go towards Star Wars sets.

9474 The Battle of Helm's Deep - This is an amazing looking set, and the price per part is great, too. I hesitate, though, because I could get a larger set with a similar setup at a lower price in the Kingdoms Joust. Also, being a fan of yellow skinned minifigs, that one seems more appealing to me than this one.

9476 The Orc Forge - All the pieces in this set look very useful - there're quite a lot of 1x2x2 slopes in light bley, which I can never seem to have enough of.

Helm's Deep interior is nothing less than amazing. I was afraid that maybe tzhere would be not much inside, or even nothing at all, but this looks just great, i'm totally sold on that! :cry_happy:

I'm getting them all at least once. These are epic Lego sets! They have done a great job with all of them. Hopefully I can convince my 2 and a half year old son to ask for them for his birthday. :)

Here's hoping for a Hobbit advent calendar!

Edited by Teh Stud

Does anyone else think the front legs of the horse are articulated also? The rear definitely are, but I think the front may be too.

I don't think so. Looking at this picture, the only seams I can see there where it's clear that two separate pieces of plastic are connected in a joint is the head to body joint. (which clearly rotates the same way the head of the old horse did) I don't see any sort of seam between the forelegs and the body on the outside that would be evident if the forelegs rotated.

Helm's Deep has become from "not affordable due to the ridiculous Australian price tag" to "must buy even if from overseas". The Rohan theme is my favourite in this LEGO line this far. Simply astonishing!

Now that FBTB posted all their pics, my

9470 Shelob Attacks - This is a really good looking spider - much better than the one in the HP set. Nothing I really want from it, though, so also

You don't Want gollum, frodo and the one ring?! They are the most iconic parts of LotR, if there was only one set surely this would be it

I just love all of them!! I'll get them all... I guess i'll try to buy 2 Uruk-Hai Army and after have all of them builded, I'll use Weathertop, Moria and even that little entrance to the cave of Shelob along with all the pieces form other sets that I have that may use to build a bigger and more detailed Helm's Deep... Ahhh! Can't wait to have them all!