wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Helms deep= MUST GET, theres goes my moneys again.....

And i am a bit sad about the sets, quite small in my taste, but the good thing is that they cant be too exenpsive. :laugh:

Captain Becker

They are quite expensive.

Still looks very dark. I think I will just collect the main characters and make lots of Hobbits to make a nice shinny Hobbiton.

Okay, I'm probably starting to sound a little annoying, but I just noticed something about the Gandalf set. If you look at the zoomed in pic, you can see the shadow of a sword in Gamdalf's left hand, which means he will have his sword in the set. Also, in the Helm's Deep set, you can see a small function that allows you to "throw" Gimli onto the causeway and attack the Uruks.

Wow, can't wait. I've already planned all the sets I'm going to get. Minus the $11 set and two army sets, I can get the whole fellowship! (Minus Gandalf).

EDIT: Knight ranking! 500th Post!

Edited by JackJonespaw

I don't want to sound like the party pooper, but... Well, I've been thinking about this ever since the first Lego LotR pics came out. And even though the big ToyFair pic did improve the LotR line for me, I still have to say I'm not excited about the LotR sets.

The minifigs are just great, a must get for anyone who likes Lego or The Lord of the Rings. But the sets? Well... Gandalf Arrives seems nice, but only because it's got Gandalf and Frodo and it's the least expensive of them all. The Mines of Moria, Attack on Weathertop, Shelob Attacks and Uruk-hai Army seems just meh to me -- nothing special. Apart from the minifigs, that is.

I'm not crazy about minifigs; I just like them as much as the next Lego fan, but so far, they DO seem like the highlight of the entire line.

The Orc Mine and The Battle for Helm's Deep are probably the only sets that really stand out for me, and even they make me think twice before putting any money into the line.

Oh, well. I do want every minifig, so I guess I'll be putting some money into this line anyway. But I do hope that the first reviews and in-hand pics make me a little more cheerful about the whole Lego LotR line. And I also hope the second wave of sets gets a lot better. At least in the preliminary pictures.

Harry Potter has some great sets and minifigs. So does Star Wars. Pirates of the Caribbean? Great minifigs, two great ships, but meh sets (in my humble opinion, that is). The Lord of the Rings line seems to be going down the same way PotC did, and that's just not good. Not good at all.

Anyway, I hope I do bite my tongue when the sets are out. Sorry if I sound a bit(!) too grumpy. It's just that so far I don't see anything but the minifigs to be cheerful about.

Not sure about this. I mean if all you can do is articulate the rear legs then the only 'posing' you can do is either stand them normally or have them rearing up. I'm not sure how beneficial that really is, especially if the articulation point weakens a bit over time (as these thing tend to do) and your rearing horse start falling back into a standing position.

Hey that counts as posing :tongue:, at least it is better than a static pose of a charging horse.

Anyway, I hope I do bite my tongue when the sets are out. Sorry if I sound a bit(!) too grumpy. It's just that so far I don't see anything but the minifigs to be cheerful about.

How about rearing horses or all the grey castle and rock pieces for MOCing! Those are the highlights to me other than the figs.

I don't want to sound like the party pooper, but... Well, I've been thinking about this ever since the first Lego LotR pics came out. And even though the big ToyFair pic did improve the LotR line for me, I still have to say I'm not excited about the LotR sets.

The minifigs are just great, a must get for anyone who likes Lego or The Lord of the Rings. But the sets? Well... Gandalf Arrives seems nice, but only because it's got Gandalf and Frodo and it's the least expensive of them all. The Mines of Moria, Attack on Weathertop, Shelob Attacks and Uruk-hai Army seems just meh to me -- nothing special. Apart from the minifigs, that is.

I'm not crazy about minifigs; I just like them as much as the next Lego fan, but so far, they DO seem like the highlight of the entire line.

The Orc Mine and The Battle for Helm's Deep are probably the only sets that really stand out for me, and even they make me think twice before putting any money into the line.

Oh, well. I do want every minifig, so I guess I'll be putting some money into this line anyway. But I do hope that the first reviews and in-hand pics make me a little more cheerful about the whole Lego LotR line. And I also hope the second wave of sets gets a lot better. At least in the preliminary pictures.

Harry Potter has some great sets and minifigs. So does Star Wars. Pirates of the Caribbean? Great minifigs, two great ships, but meh sets (in my humble opinion, that is). The Lord of the Rings line seems to be going down the same way PotC did, and that's just not good. Not good at all.

I agree with all your points. The only exception is I love minifigs. The ones is this set look great but as you stated, that's the only thing I'm really excited about. I made the same connection w/PotC when I first saw the LotR sets, not impressed at all. Maybe something will click when I finally see these sets for myself.

As most people know, Evangeline Lilly will be in the two Hobbit movies, playing an elf named Tauriel. I just read something about the character (I don't know what website it was), and it shed some light on what should be expected. Apparently his new character is an elven warrior, and she is the head of the Mirkwood guard, a big deal in the army. It also said she uses a bow and two daggers. This means that, for sure, we will get this Tauriel in the new Hobbit sets, and I think she will make many people happy, as a fig and for parts.

As most people know, Evangeline Lilly will be in the two Hobbit movies, playing an elf named Tauriel. I just read something about the character (I don't know what website it was), and it shed some light on what should be expected. Apparently his new character is an elven warrior, and she is the head of the Mirkwood guard, a big deal in the army. It also said she uses a bow and two daggers. This means that, for sure, we will get this Tauriel in the new Hobbit sets, and I think she will make many people happy, as a fig and for parts.

Keep on posting joyful news and interesting details about the pictures! :thumbup:

On the topic of the new horses. Gandalf Arrives has one. How I know this is by the head of the horse. Not only to all the good guy horses have a white streak on their face, but also all of the new horses have a new head. You can tell because it just looks less blocky and edged than the old one, making it fit better with the new cows and chickens. Not only does it have poseable legs, it is just a completely new horse all together.

Edited by Fives

I am a huge Lord of the Rings fan but when I saw the Toy Fair pics I must admit I am very much underwhelmed. I was expecting a lot more from the sets namely they look small and don`t seem to have that wow factor. I am very disappointed in Helms Deep castle if that is what I can call it; it looks like just a shell , something I would expect from those knock-off brands, where as the other sets appear to be made of just some small structures, for example, The Mines Of Moria and the Uruk-hai Army sets just to name a few. It just seems to me that Lego is banking that people will go for this theme just for the minifigures rather than the sets themselves.

Edited by kermit

Party Pooper? Weak sets? Wow. Very suprised that people don't like these sets? New Horse Molds, new weapon and helmet molds? A Castle fanst Dream, and LOTR fan's dreams. Think about the fact that these may have never have been made? But the less you buy the more for me. I personally love the sets. Would I have designed some of them differently, sure, but I'm buying MULTIPLES of these. Thank you LEGO, I love them!

Party Pooper? Weak sets? Wow. Very suprised that people don't like these sets? New Horse Molds, new weapon and helmet molds? A Castle fanst Dream, and LOTR fan's dreams. Think about the fact that these may have never have been made? But the less you buy the more for me. I personally love the sets. Would I have designed some of them differently, sure, but I'm buying MULTIPLES of these. Thank you LEGO, I love them!

I think it is just that some people, not all mind you, but some want to find something to whine about and when you call them on it they go on and on about how they have a right to their opinions, etc... but I think the sets are awesome for regular Lego sets and certainly a step in the right direction. When Lego first introduced Star Wars the sets were kind of crude looking, no offense to SW fans, but now they are some of the best licensed sets out there and I think that LOTR is starting out much better then that. I think there is a lot of potential in this theme and Lego is certainly not dropping the ball so far.

Also, for those who do not know much about LOTR yet, Helms Deep is build into the side of a mountain and that is why the set looks kind of like a shell. I mean seriously, Lego is not going to build a 10 story high mountainside out of BURPs and reduce all of the playability of the set just to appease the very few AFOLs that could afford such a monster of BURPs.

Edited by Jack Bricker

Helms deep looks really good for a TLG set, has most of the main elements, front gate, bridge and sewer tunnel, will be the price which will determine if I get this set or not

I get really mad with the fact they don't let people to take pictures.

:hmpf_bad:

At least those are some good minifig images.. rendered ones.

Time to pin this thread and unpin 2011 Kingdoms.

Oh, and I love the sets so far! I MOC, so it is all about pieces I can reuse. I don't see any prefab wall pieces, I see brick built walls! This is a huge step forward! I love getting tons of grey bricks along with the awesome figs!

I think it is just that some people, not all mind you, but some want to find something to whine about and when you call them on it they go on and on about how they have a right to their opinions, etc... .

Or maybe some people are just expressing their honest opinions in a thoughtful, polite fashion?? I haven't seen anything in this thread that I would characterize as whining.

The mini figs are fantastic, but I think the sets are just "okay." The Mines of Moria is probably the biggest disappointment, and the reason is simple -- it needs a baseplate to pull together all the various little bits. Without a baseplate to give it a sense of space, it feels like all the components are just floating in a void.

At some point in the last 2-3 years, TLC realized that they can sell sets (if not entire themes) based on the appeal of the almighty mini-fig. That seems to be their primary focus these days. Not saying they're wrong, but I do think it's an interesting shift in their marketing strategy.

At some point in the last 2-3 years, TLC realized that they can sell sets (if not entire themes) based on the appeal of the almighty mini-fig. That seems to be their primary focus these days. Not saying they're wrong, but I do think it's an interesting shift in their marketing strategy.

Duh!

Of course they can! lol. :laugh:

I agree. I know people are fired up because they are Lord of the Rings fans, which is understandable, but the sets...at least from available photos, so far...really seem sub-standard for a theme that has the potential of this one. I mean, come on..."Gandolf Arrives"?

That's just a horse-cart, but it will move because you get a Gandolf and Frodo mini at a low price point...not because it isn't any cooler or different than a thousand castle carts before it.