shutinc

Steampunk Grand Canon

Hi everyone!

I've always been facinated by steampunk and all the creations people come up with. The combination of colors, gold, wood and metal truly mesmerize me.

I also realized that one would have to use a lot of SNOTing and using pieces in ways they were not originally intended for.

This is my first attempt at making something in the Steampunk theme. Please don't be too hard with your critiques :P

6833294555_1b43b29eef_z.jpg

6833293513_ac966977df_z.jpg

6833293007_e40f11ea2e_z.jpg

Steampunk Grand Canon by shutinc, on Flickr

The brown could represent copper. Further in many Steampunk settings, ray guns exist, so a wooden barrel would merely direct the beam, rather than contain the pressure of gas expansion.

Finally, it's his MOC, and he can use whichever parts he likes, perhaps these were the only parts available to achieve this design?

The brown could represent copper.

Except gold pieces are used which makes more sense as the metal pieces, so the brown definitely looks like wood.

Further in many Steampunk settings, ray guns exist, so a wooden barrel would merely direct the beam, rather than contain the pressure of gas expansion.

Except it's a "cannon" not a "ray gun", which indicates some kind of concussive force that the wood may not be able to withstand.

I can suspend disbelief for anything when it comes to LEGO, I just thought it was a funny idea. It's still a cool weapon :thumbup:

Looks nice. I like the design of the barrel a lot, and the detailing all over looks nice. The way it's shaped, it almost looks like a steampunk pistol from some views.

I like the use of the Pirates pieces for the cannons. Great work! :thumbup:

Except gold pieces are used which makes more sense as the metal pieces, so the brown definitely looks like wood.

brown is copper, gold is brass. If they can use sand green to represent copper on the statue of liberty minifigure, then brown can be copper.

Except it's a "cannon" not a "ray gun", which indicates some kind of concussive force that the wood may not be able to withstand.

I have heard of ray guns referred to as cannons before.

I can suspend disbelief for anything when it comes to LEGO, I just thought it was a funny idea. It's still a cool weapon :thumbup:

agreed on both counts. Just offering an alternative, supportive viewpoint!

All good, buddy.

The more and more steampunk mocs I see is making me slowly drift over into the steam world from Historica, with all the new gold ninjago pieces giving me ideas it's hard to resist the temptation. I do like all the pipes and stuff and the crates are npu, I'm not bothered about whether brown is wood or copper or whatever, it's lego and it's fun. This is really good, as a tip I'd suggest making a boiler more prominent unless it's 'housed' within the structure, remember can't be steampunk without steam. Good job :thumbup:

In sci-fi "cannon" is typically used to refer to a large gun. Since steampunk is generally accepted as sci-fi the assumption should be that the weapon is beam in nature and not a standard run of the mill projectile weapon. Because it really wouldn't even be sci-fi if it was a regular projectile cannon. There is even a specific reference to a "Grand Cannon" in Macross/Robotech that was a large beam weapon that was built by creating a large tunnel under ground. So, when I read the name Grand Cannon together with steampunk it would be normal to assume that the weapon is a beam and not the other way.

Edited by sharky

Love the use of the barrels and crates. Makes me want to make one of my own, it looks fantastic and uses pieces I need to get rid off. I especially like how it looks like a giant revolver.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

This reminds me of the signal machine used in the Gummi Bears cartoon. The signal machine in the cartoon was made entirely of metal but a lot of the machines in the cartoon were made of wood.

Except it's a "cannon" not a "ray gun"

Actually, you're all wrong. It's a "Grand Canon", whatever that means. :tongue:

I think it looks great. The use of crates and barrels for most of it is nice, and the color scheme is very steampunky. I personally feel that the barrel of the cannon is a bit short, but then again, that's what makes this so unique. I have one question though: Is it supposed to be minifig scale? Because I don't think minifigs could reach the controls of it.

Anyway, nice work! :thumbup: I hope to see more Steampunk creations from you!

Very nice Steampunk MOC.

You've go the colour scheme spot on I think, and the angles are superb.

In some pictures, this also looks like a small pistol a person could actually hold, which is also very cool. Kind of like a Steampunk ray gun.