There are a whole lot of 9397 threads, so it was hard to decide where to put this. I've made some upgrades to my logging truck and thought I would share them. All are pretty obvious.

In this image you can see the conversion to dual wheel rear axles, the addition of a differential on the 3rd axle, and the addition of enclosed fender wells.

dscn0008.jpg

This image shows a more subtle change. The M-motor is hanging (cantilevered) from a beam at the front of the motor. This beam is not attached to anything; it is just hanging from some of the drive axles in the gearbox. This means that the weight of the M-motor is twisting that beam which puts friction on the drive axles. Luckily, this is very easily addressed. I just added a single 2x2 plate with pin hole and a friction pin. This supports the back of the motor completely. I'm kind of surprised they did not already do this since this part already exists elsewhere in the set.

dscn0011.jpg

Here is an image of the truck with the changes.

dscn0012.jpg

.... There are a whole lot of 9397 threads, so it was hard to decide where to put this .....

Maybe the admin should merge all this 9397 threads into two. One for A-model, and one for B-model of 9397 set.

Is it possible to put the motor in the place of the engine to power the whole truck?

@ Builder: Welcome to Eurobricks! :classic: If you can wait until August 2012 (when the 2nd Half 2012 sets are released) and have enough money, the 9398 4x4 Crawler seems to be a fun model to drive. If you can't wait (or just have US$119.99 to spend), buy the 8070 Supercar.

Edited by DLuders

Hi guys! I am new to this forum and I'm Italian. My name is Barone (surname) Arcangelo (name). Which set do you recommend to buy between 9397 and 8070?

You can find some of my video here http://www.youtube.com/user/arcangelobarone/videos

I just recently had the same conundrum, and I bought the Supercar. Part of me kinda wishes I'd bought the Logging truck, but the Car is still a very good set, so it pretty much comes down to what you want in the set.

Also, there is a thread somewhere in the Technic forum for asking for help deciding on which set to buy, just so you know :classic:

As many of you already stated; this set should have double diffs and twin wheels. Couple of examples are out here, but it's a challenge to stick to the original width of the wheels. Seams that Blakbird is close, but I'm not sure (seams 1/2 bush too width a both sides).

Nevertheless, this design has the same width as the original model. To lock the wheels/axles proberly, I used the 5.5 L axles. The outer wheels are connected with Pin Double with Axle Hole (32138) to the inner wheels.

Don't have this set; but I'm awaiting the new parts from LEGO Direct to rebuild this one with all the spare bricks I have. So, don't blame me if it does not fit... :tongue:

Btw I added a towbar, for a logging trailer in the future.

9397twinwheels.jpg

Markwilliams5409 posted this short

of his Lego Technic 9397 Logging Truck with three sets of log trailers, and a big brush guard on the front:

And put real wood on it, :tongue: Hope he doesnt plan on having to go under any bridges, not sure it will fit with the boom up that high. LOL.

Dan

Hey guys,

I just ordered some of the new parts that come with this set. Waiting for a chance to go home to add them onto my tow truck version of the log truck.

Black Pin 4560174 - $0.18 each:

Extra Long Light Bluish grey Perpendicular Connector 4652234 - $0.48 each:

Number 13 (4558775) and number 14 (4558740) Black Panels - $0.80 each:

Number 5 (4558774) and number 6 (4558731) Black Panels - $0.76 each:

Prices are in US Dollars.

I'm a truck driver so I have to wait a couple more weeks then I'll be home. I'll take pictures of my MOC and post them.

PS - Tried uploading pictures from flickr but it didn't allow me.

If you have 4X extra tires of the same size, you can turn them around on the axles and make a VERY compact Dually design!

I wonder where you are going to place these parts that you ordered?

6999002111_7cebb3b0fe.jpg6999001893_3892d07481.jpg6852877936_487c00624d.jpg6852877784_ede951b792.jpg

I wonder where you are going to place these parts that you ordered?

All of them will be going in their "stock" locations. (Hood, doors, gearbox). The four functions are boom lift, boom extension, winch, and wheel lift.

Glenn

Is it possible to put the motor in the place of the engine to power the whole truck?

It is possible but a better option is to put an XL motor in the center of the truck, directly behind the first stand for logs. If you put a motor in that space, it fits perfectly and you have a clear shot to put a few gears from the output of the motor to the driveshaft of the truck. Most technic sets have a designated place for an XL motor for drive and a medium motor for steering. I put my steering motor in the cab, between the seats.

Speaking of the tow truck at the end of this thread, has anybody done any mods (except for the swivel wheel lift) on the 9395 Tow Truck?

That thing is a monster, 3 sets of trailers, would have to by some wide sections of forest and road intersections to move that rig through...

Markwilliams5409 posted this short

of his Lego Technic 9397 Logging Truck with three sets of log trailers, and a big brush guard on the front:

Studying the truck, it seems to sag where the battery compartment is. Does this affect the functions in anyway (because the axles that are directly underneath must be bending)? Also, is there anyway to correct this by not changing the chassis at all (like adding vertical beams or something because I like to keep models as original as possible)?

@ sama: I'm looking at my 9397 Logging Truck, and you're right -- it does sag a bit underneath the Battery Box. No, the sagging does not affect the function of the truck at all. I'm looking at the underside of the truck, and the area underneath the Battery Box is REALLY CONGESTED with liftarms, so there's really not any room to add additional bracing. Of the several modifications to the 9397 presented on this Eurobricks Technic Forum over the past ~2 months, nobody has added additional bracing that I'm aware of.

osuharding1 posted this

-- "A brief video demonstration of how I have incorporated additional [Lego Technic] Power Functions to make Lego Technic 9397 Logging Truck fully remote control.

1 XL-motor drives both rear axles

1 M-motor for steering

1 IR Receiver

1 Remote Control

1 Set LEDs"

On his website, Han posted PDF Building Instructions for a "Twin wheel modification for 9397 Logging Truck:

Modification to apply 'Twin Wheels' and a double differential unit on the rear axles (2nd and 3rd axle); whereby the wheel width stays the same as the original set."

mod%209397%20logging%20truck%20twinwheel.jpg

As many of you already stated; this set should have double diffs and twin wheels. Couple of examples are out here, but it's a challenge to stick to the original width of the wheels. Seams that Blakbird is close, but I'm not sure (seams 1/2 bush too width a both sides).

Nevertheless, this design has the same width as the original model. To lock the wheels/axles proberly, I used the 5.5 L axles. The outer wheels are connected with Pin Double with Axle Hole (32138) to the inner wheels.

Don't have this set; but I'm awaiting the new parts from LEGO Direct to rebuild this one with all the spare bricks I have. So, don't blame me if it does not fit... :tongue:

Btw I added a towbar, for a logging trailer in the future.

9397twinwheels.jpg

Do you think this mod would work if I motorize it? Or would the gears around the diffs slip because of the lack of the frames that were there before?

I would remove one diff just to be on the save side.

Fot the love of god WHY didn't you take another IR receiver for the existing power functions?

I mean you just have to switch the switch for an IR reciever. It seems like it runs smooth though, kudo's for that!

I would remove one diff just to be on the save side.

Fot the love of god WHY didn't you take another IR receiver for the existing power functions?

I mean you just have to switch the switch for an IR reciever. It seems like it runs smooth though, kudo's for that!

What has my quote got to do with that? :sadnew:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

What has my quote got to do with that? :sadnew:

I was commenting on DLuder's youtube video which shows the original model functions hidden behind a switch, what he could have done is fix another PF IR link in there instead. Would have made the model much more functionally cool :) And it's not even DLuders video, but one found on youtube so hopefully that youtube user reads this forum as well :)

If you're feeling attacked, i'm sincerely sorry. Miscommunication is common on forums :blush:

If I get the choice between the unimog and this one for virtually the same price, which one should I get?

I'm liking this model very much but the possibilities of the unimog seem to be better with the pneumatics and all.

I've got to choose between the crawler, which I'm getting later, and then this one and the unimog, which I can get such a discount on that it's virtually as expensive as this set.

Edited by Crazydance