Sign in to follow this  
Bjornu

Questions about the Islanders and building ideas

I think the last time we discussed islanders it went south when it was brought up that TLG was portraying them in a negative way as primitive or something. Even though they are not based on any specific area or tribe or culture.

They are generic natives. (with inspiration though)

I know you have already made your village, which looks really cool, but I wanted to add that I agree with some that the Islanders seem to resemble the peoples of the Pacific Islands. Personally, I think the the Natives for the Americas have been loosely made in Indiana Jones, Western, Adventures, and the new POTC set. I like to think of my Islander army as Hawaiian, but I use the Achu headress for my Kamehameha I figure. :pir-wink:

for me I use them to represent the tribes of the Caribbean, since that is mainly where I would like my pirates and such to remain. :pir-laugh:

Well, Just write down a Islander scenario you would like to see!

Just share the ideas with me, I might try to build some...

Greetz Bjornu !

Well, It's clear to me right now:

I see them as:

-Islanders, Living in huts made of anything they could find.

-Living in caves when necessary.

-Digging for gold to honor their gods.

-Useing Canoes or tree trunks.

-Living near the sea, a lake , next to a river or in caves!

-Representing..... Themselves as Islanders ! :pir-laugh:

If you are aiming big then I would be astounded if you could build an Aztec/Mayan style stepped pyrimid, that would be a sight to see. :drool:

Other things that would be cool are:

-A village in the Islander style

-A large golem using the existing golem face release in the wave

-A showcase on how to make the Islanders look more interesting (for example, those pole back crests, weapons, hats, torsos)

-A large Islander force/battle scene

Just my ideas, great to see some interested in those little guys. :classic:

If you are aiming big then I would be astounded if you could build an Aztec/Mayan style stepped pyrimid, that would be a sight to see. :drool:

Other things that would be cool are:

-A village in the Islander style

-A large golem using the existing golem face release in the wave

-A showcase on how to make the Islanders look more interesting (for example, those pole back crests, weapons, hats, torsos)

-A large Islander force/battle scene

Just my ideas, great to see some interested in those little guys. :classic:

Yeah im very interested at the moment, I have uploaded an Islander MOC recently.

It's on the frontpage now !

I have just read through it, good stuff! :thumbup:

You have inspired me to build something of my own. :pir-classic:

A catamaran :pir-laugh:

I have tons of Idea's but I'm waiting for the new seed part in a contest to start building (maybe I can make it an entry)

Anyway, what do you think about:

Kahuka Falls

A high cliff with a sculpted face on top and through its mouth flows a srong stream of water, chrashing down into a lake with crocodiles.

Behind the waterfall ? Kahuka's treasure :pir-wink:

Or what about:

Crocodile Bay

A cove where the islanders keep their boats (particulary catamarans) and their crocodiles, the entrance is decorated with stone faces

I will personally build one of these locations but I haven't decided which one yet although I'm very eager to build a catamaran for the crocodile bay :pir-laugh:

So, feel free to give the Kahuka Falls a try :kahuka:

I really love these simple God statues statues in the style of the islanders gods.

You should make your own one, I did a couple 'o years back and it was great fun!

:jollyroger:

A catamaran :pir-laugh:

I have tons of Idea's but I'm waiting for the new seed part in a contest to start building (maybe I can make it an entry)

Anyway, what do you think about:

Kahuka Falls

A high cliff with a sculpted face on top and through its mouth flows a srong stream of water, chrashing down into a lake with crocodiles.

Behind the waterfall ? Kahuka's treasure :pir-wink:

Or what about:

Crocodile Bay

A cove where the islanders keep their boats (particulary catamarans) and their crocodiles, the entrance is decorated with stone faces

I will personally build one of these locations but I haven't decided which one yet although I'm very eager to build a catamaran for the crocodile bay :pir-laugh:

So, feel free to give the Kahuka Falls a try :kahuka:

I think you just brought me up to an awesome idea, How about:

Kahuka Cliff,

Two light gray cliffs with caves.

Beneath lays a river with canoes in it.

The Caves on both sides are connected by rope bridged.

Inside the caves the Islanders live and work.

Caves include:

-Armory

-Kitchen /baby like room :pir-wink:

-Gold mine, where they gather their gold.

-One large room for the Islander Leader/King where obviously a great treasure is laying around :pir-laugh:

-Sculpted face in the wall

How about it huh ?

:pir-wink:

Im going to start Right now !!

Greetz Bjornu !

Edited by Bjornu

A battle between Islanders and redcoats or something when redcoats would come to their island and take it over. And you can use Bluecoats or pirates instead of redcoats, wich you like most. :pir-classic: Civilization reaches the unknown!

Captain Becker

What about the cineastic scene of a sacrifice on top of a vulcano? It actually could include statues of gods, cliffs and so on AND, that's where the "how-cool"-effect starts, enables you to use some kind of light effects (e.g. the Lego light effects with all the blinking flashes and so on) inside the vulcano to simulate the lava/fire.

And maybe some pirates try to rescue the captured captain from being a gift to the gods.

Phes, I thank you really much.

This Story about the Islanders made my day.

Very informative, and very very Useful!

Greetz Bjornu

Yer welcome laddie!

But exactly how did you find it useful? Extreme creative liberties were taken when writing that. :pir-classic:

I second this - it would go very well with the upcoming series 7 Aztec fig!

Islanders commandeering a ship. :pir-vader:

I also merged your two Islanders threads since they are going down the same path.

My latest Islander Ideas have brought me to a great MOC IMO:

Watch it: Here!

Islanders commandeering a ship. :pir-vader:

I also merged your two Islanders threads since they are going down the same path.

Thanks for the idea, I might do something with this :pir-laugh:

Edited by Bjornu

I'm back on the Classic-pirate forums again after a busy period.

This time I would like to do some Islanders MOCs but I dont have the right information at hand now.

So I got some questions:

-Did the Islanders keep Goats/Pigs ?

-Did the Islanders live in Stone Huts ?

-Did the Islanders have Horses ?

-Are the Islanders mainly Cannibals or just tribesmen?

-Did the Islanders Use row boats or those Canoes only?

Maybe more questions will follow...

Thanks in forward!

Greetz Bjornu

As said by others, its very open to interpretation and your own imagination really. Personally I wouldnt imagine them as the sort to keep their own livestock and instead they would be hunters - possibly cannibals - depends on whether their the sole inhabitants of the island their on. Stone or wood, in my own island creations they have had wooden huts, but they could equally be made of mud or stone. I think that domesticating horses would probably be beyond the abilities of the classic-islanders.

If the islanders had been regularly visited by tradesmen from europe then they might have traded for a decent rowing boat, but otherwise a canoe seems a more likely option.

My own interpretation of the islanders can be seen in the below two videos:

I'm a long way behind on this thread but here's my thoughts on the original questions!

-Did the Islanders keep Goats/Pigs ?

-Did the Islanders live in Stone Huts ?

-Did the Islanders have Horses ?

-Are the Islanders mainly Cannibals or just tribesmen?

-Did the Islanders Use row boats or those Canoes only?

As said by others, its very open to interpretation and your own imagination really. Personally I wouldnt imagine them as the sort to keep their own livestock and instead they would be hunters - possibly cannibals - depends on whether their the sole inhabitants of the island their on. Stone or wood, in my own island creations they have had wooden huts, but they could equally be made of mud or stone. I think that domesticating horses would probably be beyond the abilities of the classic-islanders.

If the islanders had been regularly visited by tradesmen from europe then they might have traded for a decent rowing boat, but otherwise a canoe seems a more likely option.

My own interpretation of the islanders can be seen in the below two videos (I've changed video editing program since I made these so apologies about the quality - may be some inspiration however!):

Hope that helped!

Duck

Edited by Duck

I think that domesticating horses would probably be beyond the abilities of the classic-islanders.

But as seen at 2:57 in episode 3 of the great series chronicling the exploits of Brickington clearly Pterodactyls aren't. :wink:

But as seen at 2:57 in episode 3 of the great series chronicling the exploits of Brickington clearly Pterodactyls aren't. :wink:

Well, as in my own head the Islanders aspire to be a bird, naturally they would concentrate on domesticating animals which can fly - as opposed to horses which even our primative islander friends must have noticed, do not :pir-wink:.

Hmmm, I must have missed the islander guide when it was posted.

Funny story though!

I was going to say that it has been discussed a few times here that even though Islanders seem to represent Polynesian culture the most, that like the other pirates factions, they are entirely made up. So with that in mind, they can be pretty much whatever you want them to be. If you were going to be historical, then no horses, yes to pigs and some fowl, yes to stone buildings, and larger catamarans would be common for long distance sea travel.

As for cannibals - there are not really many records of full blown cannibalism ever existing. However, ritual cannibalism still takes place in some parts of the world today. When a warrior kills an enemy he may ingest a small portion of his body - usually cooked or prepared in some sort of portion, cake, powder, or something else ; but almost always something mixed with other ingredients.

As I said, other than dire extremes, cannibalism as a dietary measure is pretty much taboo everywhere in the world that we know of, historically and at the present.