Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Misc Train Talk

Hi all - it's Sunday morning Pacific time here in the US. Thought I would open this topic for those of you wanting to discuss any train topics or even stop in to say hello. I've never done this before but thought I would today over a cup of coffee.

Feel free to post openly.

EDIT: no need to form a line... :laugh:

EDIT: not all ideas can be good ones... :sceptic:

EDIT: Just in case you were wondering, I'm still here. :wink:

EDIT: Caller, are you there? :hmpf_bad:

EDIT: Is anybody out there? :hmpf:

EDIT: Looks like some have woke up. :classic: maybe...

EDIT: (wonders if he has enough chairs)

Hi there! I think this is a good idea. Unfortunately, I have to get to work (yeah, I know, on a Sunday), so I can't stay, but I just thought I'd drop a line so you didn't feel so alone :) have a nice day!

Thanks for dropping in. Have a great day! :thumbup:

This is going to take off now (begins bringing more fold-out chairs into the room).

EDIT: Yeppers, that should be enough.

EDIT: Might as well refill my coffee in case it gets busy.

EDIT: Yep, maybe I'll turn on the oldies station while I'm waiting...

EDIT: Looks like they're still playing Christian music.

EDIT: I guess I could check my FlickR images.

Figured I'd drop by to say hi.

Looks like an interesting idea, I'll check in to see what you guys are talking about later.

Hey Ricecracker - thanks for dropping in. How are things in Town?

(knows that it's really busy on the other side of the tracks) :angry:

Maybe we need an IM function that would work with phones

Oh, so you were the caller that hung up. :laugh:

Unfortunately for me it's Monday morning

Lucky you. I'm fortunately off Monday for MLK Day (Federal holiday here in the States).

We could never replace you.

Replace me? Shhhhh! :oh3:

Loud voice can be heard from ceiling. Unfortunately, we have to pause our regularly scheduled program for these words from our sponsor.

Jimmy Jean sausages.

Do you like sausages?

Well I do.

There's nut'n like a smokey grilled Jimmy Jean mesquite sausage in the morn'n.

I like to fry up mine in the skillet with a little scrambled egg.

Jimmy Jean sausages.

Turn Mondays into Sundays with Jimmy Jean sausages.

Now with brown sugar and maple flavor'n!

We now resume our regularly scheduled program.

EDIT: Well I'm pausing for a pancake break. I'll be back in a short while...

Okay. I'm back for part two of our program. Talk to TheBrickster on Sunday Morning (Monday if you live in Australia).

EDIT: Now I know what it feels like to sit in a mall dressed up like a train conductor as people walk by the train exhibit. (sneakily blows the a train whistle after the mall security guard passes the exhibit).

EDIT: okay, I know what this show needs, some controversial topics.

So, has LEGO's new Friends theme adversely affected your Train Layouts?

EDIT: or maybe some scandle:

You didn't hear it here but Siegfried is really a tricycle riding walrus for the circus. When kids throw him fish, he speeds up his pedaling.

EDIT: interesting topics:

3004366.jpg

World's smallest train

Q) How do I know that it's the world's smallest train? A) just look at it.

EDIT: maybe a little humor:

mainimage.jpg

Funny train

EDIT: or drama and excitement:

trainfail2.jpg

FINAL EDIT: well, before I resort to painting a little face and placing my conductor's hat on a basketball, I'm going to end this Sunday morning program. Until next time (hope there's no next time), this is your friendly EB Train Tech moderator, TheBrickster, signing off.

BTW, that looks like T gauge, and not the worlds smallest train. Dr Sherwood in Australia holds that record, I think. (at least he used to...) with 1:1000th models. He also built a Z scale (1:220) live steam engine, along with a fleet of N gauge live steam engines.

Off to work on the OO scale in the basement while the older lad plays with lego,

James

As this appears to be an open discussion I`ll throw this on the table...

I`m curious to know if many train people here design a layout for realistic operation.

For some reason I`m fascinated with switching of cars to and from destinations and have been (slowly ) working on a layout with this in mind.

Are others interested in realism?

Well in the distant past, VLC and VICLUG got together, I ferried over with about 600 pieces of track, and we occupied a church basement for a weekend of DCC powered, switching fun. It was like a mini show, but without the public. A great time was had by Dean, Kevin, myself & a couple of other VLC members. The ultimate conclusion is that to switch effectively, you need to use Kadee or similar automatic uncoupling couplers. I have a single, much modified loco that does auto switching. Great for an inglenook type siding arrangement, where a lot of the uncoupling action happens at the loco. (it uses a micromotor in the bogie, to push/pull a technic stick with a small supermagnet on the end of it in & out)

Anyway, you really need a lot of space, tables & track to do an effective switching layout. My home layout could support some fun operation, but generally, I don't switch too much @ home.

James

I don't have much to contribute. So, I'll talk about me.

The 2012 Calendar did ok. As of yesterday it has beaten the 2011 calendar in sales by 2 units. Unfortunately the total number sold is pretty dismal. :laugh: Disappointing but not unexpected, really. The fact that I got as many folk to buy a calendar filled with photos of someone else' MOCs is pretty impressive. However, this will probably be my final calendar - just not worth the effort.

I'm working on getting to Brickworld. I wish to bring my entire Texas State Railroad diorama with me. It'll look like this, but the yard won't be as large.

5434578546_f96c7ff5ed.jpg

Texas State Railroad Layout Idea by SavaTheAggie, on Flickr

So on top of finding the money to go to Brickworld this year (more instructions for my shop!), I need to get the money to build the Engine Shed and at least two passenger cars. Everything else is already built - the Palestine Depot, the locomotives, even the trees and ballasted track.

I may also try to build one more steam engine before Brickworld comes due, if I can manage it. Good old SP #4449 Daylight.

Gonna be a busy spring.

--Tony

Hi all - it's Sunday morning Pacific time here in the US. Thought I would open this topic for those of you wanting to discuss any train topics or even stop in to say hello. I've never done this before but thought I would today over a cup of coffee.

Feel free to post openly.

EDIT: no need to form a line... :laugh:

EDIT: not all ideas can be good ones... :sceptic:

EDIT: Just in case you were wondering, I'm still here. :wink:

EDIT: Caller, are you there? :hmpf_bad:

EDIT: Is anybody out there? :hmpf:

EDIT: Looks like some have woke up. :classic: maybe...

EDIT: (wonders if he has enough chairs)

EDIT: Oeps I missed that train...Just gone. Its tracks are still lying here :wink:

Well... let's see...

I've been laid up for a few days... had shoulder surgery (and typing with one hand :cry_sad:).

But since you brought it up:

Still waiting for a decent set (IMO). A "set" being a complete set with engines and cars and tracks. Haven't seen one I liked since 9V days. The EN and Maersk trains are great; perhaps they should have been part of a complete set.

Wish they'd sell more train parts and colors on PAB.

Was wondering if anyone's tried narrow gauge using the curves TLG has made with ME straight track.

(OT) Wondering what theBrickster thinks about the upcoming creature from the Black Lagoon from the Monster Hunter sets.

This topic was really intended as a live discussion on Sunday morning, but since a few have responded, I'll go ahead and keep it open to any that want to loosely talk about LEGO Trains and/or other topics.

Wondering what theBrickster thinks about the upcoming creature from the Black Lagoon from the Monster Hunter sets.

Hey Fred. Sorry to hear that you're laid up. I'm back to work tomorrow.

On the topic of the new Monster Quest theme: I know that it's a kiddie theme but I love the spooky stuff. Over the past few years, I've seen a number of LEGO creations that have blended in nicely with my personal builds.

I was building a Mexican Village, and behold, LEGO offered a Mexican minifig in Series 2 a few months later:

mexicanvillage4b.jpg

I had thought about creating a little sub-theme related to LEGO Studio Monsters, X-Files, and Supernatural. Monster Quest is just perfect.

Creature from the Black Lagoon:

5315078468_2420c0239d.jpg

You know that Swamp Creature has my name written all over it. Can't wait for that set. Perhaps I will be expanding my Creature sub-theme.

And the Ghost Train. It may be a little kiddie, but Trains + Ghosts have my interest.

freightattackx500.jpg

wwwagon.jpg

Creature from the Black Lagoon:

5315078468_2420c0239d.jpg

You know that Swamp Creature has my name written all over it. Can't wait for that set. Perhaps I will be expanding my Creature sub-theme.

That's the picture I remember - posted from around the time I joined. Looking forward to these monsters myself.

hi

Since castle is gone and hopefully we see a new history theme, I hope for wild west so we can have finally a WW Train. :wub:

maybe there should be an EB chat or something?

Edited by Macoco

I built my second train yesterday.

I bought the Emerald Night (who hasn't?) earlier in the year and soon decided that I wanted to have a go at motorising it. I figured that it would be easier to buy another train and steal some of the parts from it (track, PF etc), so I got the red passenger train for Christmas. I built it yesterday and got it running tonight...and now I can't fathom why I didn't get into Lego trains earlier! I can't wait to expand my layout. :thumbup:

Hello, Mister TheBrickster! Is it okay if I call you "Brickstey?" :grin:

Anyways, I have a train layout in my basement, and for a town I have a small hamlet in the oval. For the hamlet, I have only four buildings and a small Imperial soldiers fort. I'm thinking about getting some Castle Sets sometime for ruins to use as bridges or pedestrian crossings, but do you know some of the best Castle sets to use as bridges for trains to go under?

Post Scriptum: What do you think are the chances of there being a 2012 train?

Edited by efullner

Hello, Mister TheBrickster! Is it okay if I call you "Brickstey?" :grin:

Anyways, I have a train layout in my basement, and for a town I have a small hamlet in the oval. For the hamlet, I have only four buildings and a small Imperial soldiers fort. I'm thinking about getting some Castle Sets sometime for ruins to use as bridges or pedestrian crossings, but do you know some of the best Castle sets to use as bridges for trains to go under?

Post Scriptum: What do you think are the chances of there being a 2012 train?

I haven't heard anything.

Well in the distant past, VLC and VICLUG got together, I ferried over with about 600 pieces of track, and we occupied a church basement for a weekend of DCC powered, switching fun. It was like a mini show, but without the public. A great time was had by Dean, Kevin, myself & a couple of other VLC members. The ultimate conclusion is that to switch effectively, you need to use Kadee or similar automatic uncoupling couplers. I have a single, much modified loco that does auto switching. Great for an inglenook type siding arrangement, where a lot of the uncoupling action happens at the loco. (it uses a micromotor in the bogie, to push/pull a technic stick with a small supermagnet on the end of it in & out)

Anyway, you really need a lot of space, tables & track to do an effective switching layout. My home layout could support some fun operation, but generally, I don't switch too much @ home.

James

This is exactly what I have been thinking about... Kadee couplers etc.

I built this layout plan years ago in N-scale and of course wanted to do it again in L-gauge :wacko: .

You can imagine how much space that took up when I did a test lol.

I modified my switches which ended up doing wonders for the size (not to mention helping reduce the S-bend issues) and I'm hopeful to have it running by the summer...

I would be very interested to see pictures of your decoupling system.

Hey Ricecracker - thanks for dropping in. How are things in Town?

(knows that it's really busy on the other side of the tracks) :angry:

Town's doing pretty well right now, due in no small part to Friends. Trains doesn't seem to be doing too poorly itself. :sweet:

Here's an idea: We could list a bunch of parts we want for the trains theme. The Pirates forum did something along these lines a couple of years ago, and got some success. I believe they wanted (among other things)new hair styles, new hats, and gold bars and coins with lower denominations. When PotC came out, they got those requested parts. (Not all of them though!) Anyway, what if we requested some of our most wanted parts and sent them to Lego? Maybe they will listen!

This maybe not the right place to ask, but can I start the list? If not, I'll make a topic, or if anyonec else wants to, go ahead.

Here are my wanted parts:

1. RC version of 9V train track crossing. (BL part #32087)

32087.gif

Maybe they could pack them with regular curves, as the Flex Track pack (set #7499) has none.

Link to 9V version at Bricklink

2. Narrow guage Straight Track

53401.jpg

(Actual track would be smaller!)

Maybe a Narrow gauge track inluding this part, and the ones below?

3. Narrow Gauge Track Switches (left & right types)

53407.jpg

(Samller versions of these would be nice!)

53404.jpg

4. Narrow Gauge Track Crossing, smaller version of item #1 on this list.

5. Narrow Gauge Double Crossover (splits in half like orginal)

60128.jpg

(smaller version again please!)

While I'm on a roll, maybe we could have a Narrow Guage railway sets to make use of our narrow gauge tracks? Brickshelf user Kleon made good use of the current narrow curves with these models, and I would like something similar:

c2.jpg

(Kleon's Narrow Gauge steam passenger train)

a001.jpg

(Kleon's Narrow Gauge steam freight train)

Anyone else like these ideas?

Here's an idea: We could list a bunch of parts we want for the trains theme.

Good idea :thumbup: Agree with your suggestions, but...

Reinstate electric plate!! In black preferably. I can't beleive they would discontinue such a useful item but they only made it in the '90s well before they gave up on the rest of 9v.

Interestingly they first appeared in 1986 which puts them across the 12v-9v interglacial periods.

5037-1.gif

Edited by bricks n bolts

Anyone else like these ideas?

The crossing is only good if you have quite a big setup and I wonder just how many TLC sold of those? Anyway, I think the metal 9V cross track could be used with PF

I really don't understand this lust for narrow gauge tracks, especially if the train'n'cars end up being 6/7 stud wide anyway :hmpf_bad: Looks odd to me ..

I can't really come up with parts I long for .. 'cept way more PF!

I want PF'ed switched tracks, road crossings etc - basicly what we had in the ol' 12V days

And really, I just want TLC to continue with the train theme. I don't want special 10XXX popping up randomly (I don't like the EN or the Mærsk), I want the full enchilada!

Stations, manned road crossings, cranes, storage buildings, trainsheds and SINGLE trains and cars please :wub:

I for one, does not long for the 4,5/9/12V days, I'm quite happy with PF and remotes

And it would be little work to interface PF with a computer for multiple, timed setups

Really, I just want moooaarr traaaiiinnssss ...