Sign in to follow this  
Starwars4J

Official Building Regulations

I was browsing Classic-Space.com, and came across an interesting thread I thought was worthy of discussion.

The original thread can be found here.

Here's his Powerpoint presentation (9.6MB) [link]

And here is the same presentation converted to Adobe PDF (963KB) [link]

Very interesting...

thanks for linking us up!

"oh come on!! you gotta be kidding me!!" was, i think, the sentence most often used... :-P

this is the illegal element they're referring to with the Constellation example:

illegal.jpg

however, i can think of several other examples in old sets, so i'm guessing these rules are from the mid 80's or so...

however, i can think of several other examples in old sets, so i'm guessing these rules are from the mid 80's or so...

Not sure about that as some examples use new pieces from after 2000

I also think that the more ingeeners you have thiking on one set the less creative it will be. Just look at the comments and the explaination for all the sucky sets from the late 90s is there.

If you put two or more bricks/plates together without modifying them (i.e. cutting, glueing and the like) and that construct isn't too fragile it can't be illegal. If they fit together, they fit together. Period.

IMHO...

That second page... with the technic and system snot bricks joined up 'illegally'

I have seen that in official sets.

the mini Rebel Blockader Runner from Star Destroyer uses this a lot!

Personally, I never use this method myself for a different reason... studs seem to deform if left in technic holes over long periods...

I've also seen them violate the lightsaber rod inside a hollow peg rule too... and yeah... its a major pain getting the parts separated later... quit doing it myself for that very reason.

In fact.. Ive got a part that split because of that... I'd better send in that replacement request...

Well, Looks like I am for the most part legal!

I'd already figured out most of those rules on my own...

The only one was the plate between studs thing as seen on the Constellation model... I've used that in one model, which I don't really plan on ever taking apart...

Before this opens up in a new window, I already know I do things illegaly.

Then again, I've tried so many different things in my time mocing that I KNOW where there's inexcusable stress and possible future breakage points.

I use every hole possible and stick anything in them... X-D

The more creative (especially with technic parts) that you are in using every ridge, opening or whatnot... the stronger you can make a moc. Illegal building is nearly a neccesity if you're doing action figures. Wacky weight distribution with poses and current weapon placement DEMANDS unorthodox reinforcement as the size increases.

im keeping that PDF on reference ;-) i try to mimic official LEGO building styles in my MOCs, and this is a great resouce.

thanks for bringing it here SW4J X-D

--------------------------------------------------

BTW, i can't belive that "constellation" techinque was legal at one time... it looks terrible.

- BrickMiner

What was that I said sometime that everyone loved? Something to the effect of there are no illegal techniques in LEGO.

Though I would call the use of foreign substances such glue illegal.

I don't think "Illegal" is the right word here.

They're not intentionally trying to limit creativity.

It's just a Guideline for how much stress various connections put on the bricks.

Some combinations might cause bending or damage over time, so they aren't advisable.

Its especially important for the official designs, where they might remain assembled on a shelf for a long time, and they don't want to risk having something develop a stress fracture. It would be bad for their reputation if an official design caused bricks to break.

You can always do what you want with your own designs tho.

Personally I want my bricks to last, so I dont force connections that cause stress...

perfectly willing to do wierd uses for bricks of course, like strange Almost 90* Triangles out of technic pieces... but of course I'll calculate just how much deformation they are under... if its within the mould tolerances its ok...

i actually think it is ALL ABOUT the rules... legal and illegal.

i mean, LEGO is is a "system"... and its all about finding ways to be creative within that system. not bending the rules and "stressing" your bricks because you are not creative enough to find the "correct method."

its kind of like cheating...

however, my biggest complaint about some of the illegal procedures is that they look sloppy. sloppy is bad wether its legal or illegal ;-) for me, its more a matter of a model looking AND feeling "clean", "official".

- BrickMiner

Funny thing... just a few hours before I read this, I was trying to do an illegal Technic + System connection and wondering why it didn't line up.

Well, now I know the answer...

I just ignore these illegal-legal rules of lego. they only limit creativity anyway and most of my mocs aren't alive long enough to suffer the consequences of illegal techniques...

but if you are trying to build in the official LEGO style, this is very useful.

i know,...

i know,...

not many care about that... BUT YOU SHOULD >:-) id love to see more official building styles. in fact, that is all i would like to see... but i know that will never happen, based on what i see in the current AFOL community.

people break rules... that is why they exist right ??? :-|

- BrickMiner