Fives

Kingdoms 2012?

Lego's near bankrupcy came when they got rid of their classic themes and tried to do castle action figures and other nonsense instead. Kicking their fans in the megabricks is what made them lose costumers in droves.

Kingdoms will go out with a bang getting one final 5-digit set next year: 10223 Kingdoms Joust. As it's a Lego exclusive who knows when we can expect to see pictures of that.

Im pretty sure that 10223 Kingdoms Joust is the last Kingdoms set we'll see. At least for a while...

Hmm interesting am I reading in between words that possibly it will take a hiatus like Pirates and come back?

I think that Kingdoms is the worst castle theme ever and I hope that it will be replaced.

What is MMV?

Troll?

I do believe Kingdoms as a theme is 'over'.

The Knight's Joust or Kingdom Joust set is an indicator of this, as Fantasy Era 'died' with the Medieval Market Village, so will Kingdoms with the Joust set.

A darn shame in my opinion, as the Kingdoms theme is kicking some serious butt.

True and as well with classic pirates and the IFS. :cry_sad:

Kingdoms will go out with a bang getting one final 5-digit set next year: 10223 Kingdoms Joust. As it's a Lego exclusive who knows when we can expect to see pictures of that.

Im pretty sure that 10223 Kingdoms Joust is the last Kingdoms set we'll see. At least for a while...

Do you think we might see this exclusive revealed this weekend at the various lego events (Brickcon, Steam etc)??????

According to some people on this board, Kingdoms is done for and there are no summer sets in the store catalog, but personally I need a heck of a lot more confirmation before I'll actually believe them. From what little I have seen when in stores, Kingdoms does seem relatively popular, I see kids buying the sets. I really think this is a great theme that deserves to survive, I mean they have taken the essence of the old nineties and eighties castle themes and implemented that in the set designs, which are quite excellent. On top of that, the minifigures are awesome, using really nice colors, especially with the Dragon Knights. The theme still has a lot of potential for new sets and for the coflict to be developed further.

If Lego cancels the line, I think it will be a confirmation of them trying for a "Ninjago-effect" in all their themes, where they expect every theme to be runaway successes like Ninjago, Star Wars and Bionicle, and everything with a moderate level of sales will be cancelled. I really hope that is not the case, that they keep their core product intact and don't try to focus too much on gimmicky "playability" again. That was what happened last time, and they almost didn't make it through.

Wait, Ninjago is a success? Sorry, I've been out of the loop for awhile. Anyway, I do believe the specific "Kingdoms" theme is dead (My wallet says thanks, my heart is crying). For a replacement theme (f there is one) I'm betting either a LOTR, a Fantasy (hopefully darker) or a Heroica-style theme. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't there a lull in Castle themes between KK1 and KK2? Or was that KK2 and the Crownies?

LOTR borders more with the Fantasy, which I could see LEGO doing a fantasy theme and then discontinuing it only to have LOTR replace it. It seems like a dumb business venture, but it could work. If it goes the way of Heroica, I see either game cards/boards like Orient Expedition and Ninjago, or I see an actual theme with a definitive storyline at its base. Not as definitive as KK2, but something along the lines of Castle of Kingdoms.

Heroica, I think would be very cool. We'll get some D&D style stuff I bet. I've been stuck playing Dragon Age: Origins the past few weeks and a theme along the "party system" would be interesting. :wink:

I have been led to believe there will be a replacement theme next year, what theme that is dealers can not say.....Lego rep's have been getting dealers and their staff to sign a confidentiality agreement - legal silencing - their lips are sealed. :look:

I guess it's a waiting game again. :hmpf_bad:

Edited by lightningtiger

Lego rep's have been getting dealers and their staff to sign a confidentiality agreement - legal silencing - their lips are sealed. :look:

Would that be a confidentiality agreement about specifically Kingdoms/Castle/Fantasy, or for everything in general?

Maybe TLG is just doubling down on secrecy, because remember last year when there seemed to be a noticeable crackdown on catalog leaks? Maybe they're just trying to control shenanigans in general. Can you share any other details? (Lol, asking for secret details about the secrecy pact. First rule of fight club...)

You can stop reading at this whining paragraph if you want. Pirates and Castle are really the only true themes that I buy (exclusive/"UCS" and CMFs don't count per se). If castle gets the PotC treatment, I might cry big man tears. I miss my little yellow guys and their originality and free spirited design. I don't want more overpriced sets of this-matches-such-and-such-movie-scene at 15¢/piece. I want at least one of my favorite themes to remain, please.

According to some people on this board, Kingdoms is done for and there are no summer sets in the store catalog,

I think you are confused, the catalog that's making the rounds now is for the beginning of the year... the sets that will come out during the middle of the year will be a in a catalog that won't be out until spring. True there are no sets in the catalog that's out now, but that is expected since there weren't any in the catalog a year ago. The Mill Village Raid and other sets were summer releases, so we won't see a catalog that could contain the next wave, should there be one, until March or April.

You can stop reading at this whining paragraph if you want. Pirates and Castle are really the only true themes that I buy (exclusive/"UCS" and CMFs don't count per se). If castle gets the PotC treatment, I might cry big man tears. I miss my little yellow guys and their originality and free spirited design. I don't want more overpriced sets of this-matches-such-and-such-movie-scene at 15¢/piece. I want at least one of my favorite themes to remain, please.

agreed :sad:

I think you are confused, the catalog that's making the rounds now is for the beginning of the year... the sets that will come out during the middle of the year will be a in a catalog that won't be out until spring. True there are no sets in the catalog that's out now, but that is expected since there weren't any in the catalog a year ago. The Mill Village Raid and other sets were summer releases, so we won't see a catalog that could contain the next wave, should there be one, until March or April.

They've must have redone the catalogues then since all of the retailer catalogues I've seen covers the whole year. BTW the first post mentioning the latest Kingdom sets were posted 23 december 2010. So it's still time for sets to show up. But I wouldn't keep my hopes up though...

Do you think we might see this exclusive revealed this weekend at the various lego events (Brickcon, Steam etc)??????

Called it! Lol.

Lego's near bankrupcy came when they got rid of their classic themes and tried to do castle action figures and other nonsense instead. Kicking their fans in the megabricks is what made them lose costumers in droves.

Ummm, what? LEGO's near bankruptcy was a consequence of a multi-year decline that started around the 90s, and was because of a lot of causes other than just what themes and products were current (there was a lot of production streamlining that had to take place for the company's recovery). Knights' Kingdom II took place during the time of radical changes when TLG was desperately trying to recover from the financial slippery slope they were already on.

Wait, Ninjago is a success? Sorry, I've been out of the loop for awhile. Anyway, I do believe the specific "Kingdoms" theme is dead (My wallet says thanks, my heart is crying). For a replacement theme (f there is one) I'm betting either a LOTR, a Fantasy (hopefully darker) or a Heroica-style theme. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't there a lull in Castle themes between KK1 and KK2? Or was that KK2 and the Crownies?

LOTR borders more with the Fantasy, which I could see LEGO doing a fantasy theme and then discontinuing it only to have LOTR replace it. It seems like a dumb business venture, but it could work. If it goes the way of Heroica, I see either game cards/boards like Orient Expedition and Ninjago, or I see an actual theme with a definitive storyline at its base. Not as definitive as KK2, but something along the lines of Castle of Kingdoms.

Heroica, I think would be very cool. We'll get some D&D style stuff I bet. I've been stuck playing Dragon Age: Origins the past few weeks and a theme along the "party system" would be interesting. :wink:

Yeah, Ninjago is a monumental success. The TV special on Cartoon Network got a lot of viewers, so many that a full TV-series is due to premiere towards the end of this year. Of course, it's only reasonable that it should be a huge success when it had a huge initial investment-- if it hadn't been so successful, it would have been a major disappointment, and it's clear from some marketing materials that TLG has actively designed it to be "their next BIONICLE".

And yeah, there was a pretty significant gap between KK1 and KK2. Here's hoping there is no similar gap after Kingdoms, though I'm sure that with the Hobbit film soon to come, medieval fantasy will remain in the public consciousness. It would be foolishness for TLG not to take advantage of that, whether with a licensed theme or non-licensed fantasy theme.

I'm someone who I must admit doesnt pay a huge amount of attention to release dates etc, and just go on the basis of what I see in the shops I very occasionally visit, what pops up on ebay and whats listed on lego.com - however, I'd worry that there appears to be a lack of uptake on Kingdoms from retailers - I've not seen a set in Toys R Us, ASDA or Tesco which are probably the only major places to find Lego sets on the shelves in my area. The Entertainer is the other option, which only features a select few of the range (Prison, Kings Carriage and Mill Raid on last check! None of the impulse sets). My worry on that basis is that if theres not interest from the major retailers, Kingdoms wont be worth continuing as far as TLC is concerned.

I'm another one who dislikes the increasing number of licenced themes. As much as I love POTC as a film, give me Classic Pirates any day! Lego is about creation, from both sides of the fence - TLC Designers and TLC customers, and so it shouldnt all be about recreating scenes from films. If Lego drop Kingdoms and replace it with a licenced theme, and dont drop POTC, my wallet will be staying in my pocket (which will make my girlfriend happy atleast... :hmpf: )

I'd worry that there appears to be a lack of uptake on Kingdoms from retailers - I've not seen a set in Toys R Us, ASDA or Tesco which are probably the only major places to find Lego sets on the shelves in my area.

Over here, my TRU is loaded with Kingdoms, as is Target.

I'm another one who dislikes the increasing number of licenced themes.

I'd agree I dislike the increasing number of licensed themes, I don't mind having a few. I think POTC is over; HP is over (and won't be replaced as it didn't usurp any non-licensed theme). I also think we may get a dearth of Castle sets until next summer, at which point we'll start getting LOTR/Hobbit... assuming the rumor is true. Otherwise I'd prefer Fantasy 2.

Edited by fred67

I also think we may get a dearth of Castle sets until next summer, at which point we'll start getting LOTR/Hobbit... assuming the rumor is true.

Sometimes I think Eurobricks should have a FAQ page. One of those questions could be, 'what are the rumours of the Tolkien theme based on?' which is a question I'm sure has been asked before but I don't think I've seen real answers. Not that I have been following closely, since I have less than zero interest in a Hobbit theme. But I would rather see more Kingdoms sets than a new Hobbit theme.

I'm not convinced that the Joust set is the 'swansong' of the Kingdoms theme, though... it's only a very recent tradition to have exclusive sets in themes at all, and the Imperial Flagship and the MMV don't set much of a precedent. Lego might be trying to see what effect it has on sales when they release an exclusive during the theme rather than after.

Edited by David Thomsen

Sometimes I think Eurobricks should have a FAQ page. One of those questions could be, 'what are the rumours of the Tolkien theme based on?' which is a question I'm sure has been asked before but I don't think I've seen real answers.

They're based on info available in the LOTR 2012 thread... I was extremely doubtful until recently, at which point I became merely somewhat skeptical. :classic:

They're based on info available in the LOTR 2012 thread... I was extremely doubtful until recently, at which point I became merely somewhat skeptical. :classic:

I've tried to find anything solid there but it mostly looks like wish lists and the occasional person I have never heard of who has a 'reliable source'.

If Lego have once again dropped a classic theme in favour of a licensed theme, I will be miffed. Admittedly the POTC theme introduced a lot of new Pirate-themed accessories that probably would not have existed otherwise, but I'm not sure if it's worth the inflated prices and the loss of what makes classic themes so charming.

No more castles, towers and villages... only Movie Scene #1, Movie Scene #2 and Movie Scene #3.

Edited by David Thomsen

If Lego have once again dropped a classic theme in favour of a licensed theme, I will be miffed. Admittedly the POTC theme introduced a lot of new Pirate-themed accessories that probably would not have existed otherwise, but I'm not sure if it's worth the inflated prices and the loss of what makes classic themes so charming.

No more castles, towers and villages... only Movie Scene #1, Movie Scene #2 and Movie Scene #3.

For me, I don't buy Pirates (I did as a kid), my 2 themes are Castle & Space. Fully fledged non-licenced Space is dead (thanks greatly to SW 2000-2009) - SP3 & Alien Conquest were both crossover-type and not true space (you know, final frontier stuff). With no Castle I would be disappointed. I currently only get SW sets for figures I want (if it's not easier to just BL them separately), I may do the same if there was a Tolkien licence. If I was still into Pirates (I gave up because I was so far behind) it would be the same story, and 3/3. :cry_sad:

Fully fledged non-licenced Space is dead (thanks greatly to SW 2000-2009) - SP3 & Alien Conquest were both crossover-type and not true space (you know, final frontier stuff).

Huh... I never realised before but this is why I haven't purchased any Space sets since I came out of my 'dark ages'. Yes, I miss sets where they are in space just for the sake of being in space... exploring or scouting or setting up bases or scanning for minerals. Or just roving in general.

It's like instead of having a straight Castle theme with knights and castles, like Kingdoms, they decided that the castles flew around and were powered by wizard knuckles that had to be mined with special laser-dragon axes.

I think the new Falcon Knight in the joust set ( :cry_happy: ) may hint towards more waves, with new villians (like the trolls in the Fantasy theme).

I do agree with everyone who says they'd be disappointied if Castle is replaced by a licensed theme. It would be a real tragedy to lose such an original, important theme with so much potential. :cry_sad:

I was astonished that there is no kingdoms advent calendar this year. Is the a sign for the end of Kingdoms?

There was a Kingdoms advent calendar in 2008 and one in 2010. It will probably be the end of 2012 if we get another one. This year they favoured Starwars over kingdoms and in 2009 the pirates theme got an advent calendar. Kingdoms calendars seem to only happen every 2 years.

Why is everyone finding things that could be a sign of the end of the Kingdoms line? The exact same thing happened this time last year.. then we ended up with the 4 new sets in 2011.

Aaaahh a black Lego cat crossed my desk.. its a sign!! :laugh:

...It's like instead of having a straight Castle theme with knights and castles, like Kingdoms, they decided that the castles flew around and were powered by wizard knuckles that had to be mined with special laser-dragon axes.

I'd buy that. You should submit it to Cuusoo :P lol.