It don't have to be as good as the trucks used on the TT competitions. I think most clients don't even know about these competitions,

Hello everybody. Maybe someone has seen my Lego Rock Crawlers. So I would like to espresso my opinion. Xl rather put up with engines torque to a crawler, but without speed control. Lego impossible for universal joints do the work, so the project has to be an XL in each axle independently. The buffers need to be articulated attachment points and the suspension arms have

to be more rigid and better fixation. And the foremost of all, impossible to climb rocks with existing Lego tires! The rubber is very tough.

I made a model with the changes needed to walk like a rock crawler:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=448931

And I did one with original

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=481962

and videos

Get your conclusions

Very Cook Rock Climber! Looks very lightweight.

But Like Paul had said yesterday. This new Lego set is going to more than likely be a large one at the price that we are seeing. It is going to be very interesting to see what the designers at Lego have come up with.

I think it's entirely possible that we COULD get an RC 180 euro rock crawler that can actually climb over rocks outdoors, just not so much with the current motors and gearbox parts. So the thought of it is actually getting me quite exited although I know I should not get my hopes up for thes new parts based on the info we have so far.

What is the problem with the current motors?

Well you asked, so be prepared to once again be bored to death reading one of my usual rambles :wink:

The M motor is not strong enough for this thing and the XL motor is too slow and creates too much stress. What you end up with is a model that breaks gears whilst going very slowly. That you need is a motor that can deliver lots of power (more than the XL would be nice but not needed for this) but does not put too much strain on key parts. This can be done by having a motor with much higher rpms, and less torque. Basically a motor that's powerful but has absolutely no internal gearing down. Non at all. Like the 9v motors of 1996 and older, just a bit more powerful of course! Then we can apply our own gearing that is suitable for a gearbox or whatever we want, and also protect parts using the white clutch gears. So not an XXL motor, but an L motor. I think what is also needed is a differencial that can fit into the 5x7 frame, but instead of being driven by a 20t double bevel gear, is driven by a 12t single bevel gear (so the diff itself has a sort of hollowed out 36t double bevel gear instead of a 28t single bevel), and can also have 4 gears inside instead of three. The gears going to the wheels could possibly be the 20t single bevel instead of the 12t single bevel. This would effectively more than double the gear reduction of the diff (by having 12t to 36t instead of 20t to 28t) and triple the the amount of torque it can deliver to the wheels.

Of course other parts will need to be beefed up and redesigned to deliver more power more efficiently and more reliably but with a new L motor and diff, you are halfway to making pretty epic RC vehicles, all out of plastic! Of course we can't just add more volts and more amps until we get what we want, this would just wear and melt things too fast. Thing is the XL motor already has the power. But with it's internal gearing and the current parts selection it can't be used efficiently. I see the Unimog with it's portal hubs designed to take an 8t and 24t gear to increase the power to the wheel as a step in the same direction i'm talking about.

Well you asked, so be prepared to once again be bored to death reading one of my usual rambles :wink:

The M motor is not strong enough for this thing and the XL motor is too slow and creates too much stress. What you end up with is a model that breaks gears whilst going very slowly. That you need is a motor that can deliver lots of power (more than the XL would be nice but not needed for this) but does not put too much strain on key parts. This can be done by having a motor with much higher rpms, and less torque. Basically a motor that's powerful but has absolutely no internal gearing down. Non at all. Like the 9v motors of 1996 and older, just a bit more powerful of course! Then we can apply our own gearing that is suitable for a gearbox or whatever we want, and also protect parts using the white clutch gears. So not an XXL motor, but an L motor. I think what is also needed is a differencial that can fit into the 5x7 frame, but instead of being driven by a 20t double bevel gear, is driven by a 12t single bevel gear (so the diff itself has a sort of hollowed out 36t double bevel gear instead of a 28t single bevel), and can also have 4 gears inside instead of three. The gears going to the wheels could possibly be the 20t single bevel instead of the 12t single bevel. This would effectively more than double the gear reduction of the diff (by having 12t to 36t instead of 20t to 28t) and triple the the amount of torque it can deliver to the wheels.

Of course other parts will need to be beefed up and redesigned to deliver more power more efficiently and more reliably but with a new L motor and diff, you are halfway to making pretty epic RC vehicles, all out of plastic! Of course we can't just add more volts and more amps until we get what we want, this would just wear and melt things too fast. Thing is the XL motor already has the power. But with it's internal gearing and the current parts selection it can't be used efficiently. I see the Unimog with it's portal hubs designed to take an 8t and 24t gear to increase the power to the wheel as a step in the same direction i'm talking about.

It will also need bevels from stronger material, bigger tyres and better motot.

Hello everybody. Maybe someone has seen my Lego Rock Crawlers. So I would like to espresso my opinion. Xl rather put up with engines torque to a crawler, but without speed control. Lego impossible for universal joints do the work, so the project has to be an XL in each axle independently. The buffers need to be articulated attachment points and the suspension arms have

to be more rigid and better fixation. And the foremost of all, impossible to climb rocks with existing Lego tires! The rubber is very tough.

I made a model with the changes needed to walk like a rock crawler:

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=448931

And I did one with original

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=481962

and videos

Get your conclusions

Hi Raus,

Nice rock crawler!

What wheels did you use? Those are custom wheels. Where did you get them?

Rock crawler with price 180€ is for this moment mysterious what we can expect for this price.Im expecting something big as this MOC http://mocpages.com/moc.php/147876 .Im not expecting radio control, problem with pieces crushing and another TT norms , but something with fancy funtions as lowering suspensions(Similar to 8297), four wheel steering, towing crane(? Big version of 8858 http://technicopedia.com/8858.html ) and doors similar to 8466 .So lets wait and we will see...

Helicopter is another my expected set, I hope for same size as 9394 jet plane for 1H2012(50cm).But with motorized crane or rotors.

We don't usually see a 2H list until later in the year do we? I'm surprised we even had rumours so early.

We don't usually see a 2H list until later in the year do we? I'm surprised we even had rumours so early.

This year we have more themes with 2H speculations, most interesting speculations, that are going to be true, are about exclusive sets(Kingdoms joust for example), LOTR and one set in creator.Like past two years we will IMO see this sets in overall catalogue for year 2012 in the end of 2011.

Over at technicbricks I read some speculation as to the letters on the license plate sticker on the front of the 9395 perhaps being a message to a certain builder who complained about the #44 toggle joints not being made in black for the extreme cruiser and this set actually has them in black. does anyone know if there is any truth to this? I have to admit, if this is true, it is quite hilarious. :laugh:

I have one questions,what "PB 9187" mean? :sceptic: Is there clue to some piece?

Are we still to early for this :( I'm eager to know more about next years flagship!sorry for my impatience :)

Just noticed descriptions of new 2012 sets in Brickset:

9396 {heavy-lift helicopter}

9398 {remote control off-roader}

Hopefully in coming days first preliminary pictures of the 2h 2012 sets will emerge.

EDIT:

First pictures are already available and you can read first thoughts at TechnicBRICKs

Edited by AndoS