frogstudio

MOC | MOD |Layout - The harbor section of my City

Hi to all!!!

Though I have my city all planned out, I can only build it "sections", because it's simply HUGE. The harbor area alone measures 3 x 1 metres. This time, I wanted to share with you the area of my city layout. It's made up of several oficial sets which have been MODed in order to work together + a couple of MOCs I've done during the last years. One of the MODs I think you'll fin interesting is the combination of sets 4645 and 7994 which, at least to me, work great together. So, done with the intro and into the images. Comments and suggestions are welcomed. Enjoy!!!

Lets start with the city layout:

city.jpg

General views:

harbor_001.jpg

harbor_002.jpg

harbor_003.jpg

harbor_004.jpg

harbor_005.jpg

harbor_006.jpg

harbor_007.jpg

harbor_008.jpg

harbor_009.jpg

harbor_010.jpg

harbor_011.jpg

Sets 4645 + 7994 MOD

harbor_023.jpg

harbor_024.jpg

harbor_025.jpg

harbor_026.jpg

harbor_027.jpg

A crane MOC:

harbor_013.jpg

harbor_014.jpg

A fishing ship MOC:

harbor_019.jpg

harbor_020.jpg

And to finish off, some details:

harbor_015.jpg

harbor_016.jpg

harbor_017.jpg

harbor_018.jpg

harbor_021.jpg

harbor_022.jpg

This is awesome, its great seeing all the different years of sets put together so well!!!!!

Perhaps the dockside could do with some more depth? It'd be cool to see a maersk container ship and perhaps a small container terminal?

Now that's an amazing harbor, with all the sets working together so nicely, and an amazing layout plan! :thumbup: I guess you'll (have to) leave many baseplates empty so you're able to walk around and reach every part of the layout... but will what looks like a mountain in the lower left corner be the only height variation, or do you plan more variety in this regard, maybe hills and a waterfall for one of the rivers?

At any rate, I'm now feeling a bit less megalomaniac over the top whatever :wink: with my own future plans (which I'll show in due time) filling less than half the area of yours...

Stunning looking harbour!! It's great to see ships/harbours from the good old days (the black tug was my favourite set as a kid!!)

Nice work!!

Now that is a harbour from classic town though to 2011 grain ship......totally AWESOME 'frogstudio' and Brick On ! :grin:

This is simply stunning. I love the layout of your harbour which looks amazing. I can only imagine what the size of your whole city looks. Hope to see pictures soon. :classic:

Ok, so this is just awesome. I love industrial and harbor scenes. What a magnificent layout! I can tell you've got some series money wrapped up in this set up. I am definitely jelous, awesome awesome lay out. Great job!!

Looks great and promising!!! The layout is very ambitious, but with al lot of time and care, it can be done!!! Hope to see more from you in the near future!!! I like large city's like yours!!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

(Have a look at my City, it is continuously growing....)

I have always loved industrial harbour scene as lego layout, I hope I will able to build one on my own soon.

And maybe I ll "steal" some layout ideas from yours :tongue:

Great work and looking forward for overall city pictures, once built :wink:

Great harbor 'frogstudio'. This looks like a HUGE project. I look forward to see other parts of the city, as with others. My harbor was one of my favorite parts of my city. I love all the boats, ships and at with a blend of town and city. Will this eventually have the rest of the city attached or are you just able to build one section at time? Great job default_classic.gif

Thanks to all for your kind comments!!!

Perhaps the dockside could do with some more depth? It'd be cool to see a maersk container ship and perhaps a small container terminal?

I would love to, but I really can't make this section bigger and don't have the money either (though making Maersk Ship MOC would be a nice challenge and I'll give it a thought :wink: )

Will this eventually have the rest of the city attached or are you just able to build one section at time?

Right now, I can only build sections of the complete layout since I simply don't have where to build it :wacko: . The complete layout measures 8x4 metres. If you consider that I would need and additional metre on each side (to enable walk around and access to all parts) that leaves me with a needed space of 10x6 metres!!!! Unfortunatelly I don't have that kind of space :sceptic:

Have a look at my City, it is continuously growing

Really loved it. Congratulations you've also got a huge layout there!!! Really liked how you hanged you "flying" planes. :wink:

what looks like a mountain in the lower left corner be the only height variation, or do you plan more variety in this regard, maybe hills and a waterfall for one of the rivers?

Yep, that's a mountain. The top of it will be flat (haven't built it yet)in order to receive my Winter Village sets. It will have a monorail station (which will be the only means to get there) and a tunnel going under the mountain.

There is another small mountain (where the brown baseplates with the windmill are) which I have already built and which has a tunnel going through it.

About the waterfalls, the river comming from the top of the layout starts with a MOC I've posted here before (Medieval Watermill)

When I finish photographing the other areas of the layout, I'll create a separate topic where I'll post explanations and links to each area of it.

That layout is INSANE! Enormous-- you should rent out space at a warehouse or something sometime just to build it for pictures!!

Is there specific software you employed to lay it out??

Wow this is awesome! Even tho you've only built a small part, I love that you've planned it out so thoroughly. Part of what I enjoy about building is not just the building, but the planning... cuz you can plan, plan, plan, before ever having to buy anything. Some thoughts...

This is 32 baseplates by 16 baseplates. That is just huge. If you ever built it, there would be no way to reach the inner parts. I've found that it is really only comfortable to reach in about 3 baseplates -- any more than that and it's just not convenient to build any more. Have you considered designing in a notch to get to the center, or 3 access holes, one in the middle of each train ring?

Do you think you will ever put it together whole? Basement perhaps? I would think that at 27' x 13', that is the only sort of room that would be big enough.

I love the harbor look! The MOC fishing boat caught my eye... It is definitely neat that you've incorporated so many harbor sets, which are some of my favorites. I may have not left enough space in my own layout for a sufficient harbor scene... but that's what expansion is for right? :)

10 x 6 would be massive! Too bad for the lack of space. I boxed mine up for the same reason. No space and numerous unopened sets. Oh well its still awesome to see such a large harbor default_classic.gif