Sign in to follow this  
AussieJimbo

MOD: Grey Emerald Night - 10194

I'd been keeping an Emerald Night aside for another livery mod and recently picked up enough grey curved slopes to give the grey version a go (thanks alien mothership).

The colour is a little different but is representative of the works livery of the fantastic A1 class locomotive "Tornado" built a few years ago by the A1 Steam Trust at Darlington, in the UK.

tornado.ref.480.jpg

Large

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Peppercorn_Class_A1_60163_Tornado

http://www.a1steam.com

At some stage I'd like to do a more faithful representation of the A1 with the correct tender, grey cab (needs Maersk loco windows), etc. but for now I'm pretty happy with my Emerald Night version of Tornado.

I didn't want to use up my official stickers so made some copies using transparent sticky labels which worked reasonably well; all except the piston cylinder and front number stickers are homemade.

Here are a few quick photos:

tornado.1.640.jpg

Large

tornado.2.640.jpg

Large

tornado.3.640.jpg

Large

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

Great to see them all together.... but splash out on a set of Big Bens wheels... and go for the grey pair. It will make it look :wub:

ah ah ah...change the color but the emerald is the emerald!!you have made a great work!!!pirate_thumbup.gifpirate_thumbup.gif

i hope lego give to us more wheels of different diameters(like BB)to change the old 12V locomotors to PF.

And our fantasy build more and more!!!

Excellent work!!default_classic.gif

Great to see them all together.... but splash out on a set of Big Bens wheels... and go for the grey pair. It will make it look :wub:

I guess that's a matter a opinion... I agree grey wheels would be closer to the Tornado in gray it is modeled after, but the BB wheels just don't look right to me as they don't have the weighted side (or whatever that is called) like the Lego wheels do.

Both color variations of this locomotive look fantastic.

Edited by domboy

Haha! I had intended to do a very similar thing with my second Emerald. I like what you've done; though I really wish those curved slopes came in dark red. :sadnew:

Thanks everyone, glad you like it.

> I really wish those curved slopes came in dark red.

Me too. An LMS version would look great.

It looks much better and much less dull than I would have thought in grey. Good choice!

So, how many colours have we seen now? The original is dark green, you've got a reddish brown and a light bluish grey one, there's a red one here, a black one with red wheels here, and my own Lime Light here.

Have you seen any others?

How nice it would be to see all of them together!

Thanks L@go.

You've covered all the variations I've seen so far.

I had thought yellow and white were the only remaining options but the critical curved piece has recently been released in sand green. However at only one per Big Bently Bustout set it could be a while before they are widely available.

The part in various colours has been used quite a bit in recent sets so I wouldn't be surprised to see it come out in the standard medium blue or perhaps medium green in future sets, both of these would make fine liveries too.

Edited by AussieJimbo

May I suggest "Cloudy Night."

The red variation is commonly referred to as "Ruby Night," and I've seen "Onyx Night" suggested for black.

Sticking with gemstone colors, "Moonstone Night" might be appropriate. Anyway, good job - I always love seeing these color variations (I've only done red so far).

I never really thought about using different colored bricks for the EN. What a great idea. That would be so cool to have a fleet of them in different colors. Excellent job!!

Beutiful realization!

I like this grey version. It looks like the original in the enclosed picture!

So all we need now are the Yellow and White variants... :thumbup:

It looks good in light grey AJ. Usually I find the newer light grey rather "new looking", but combined with the black, it contrasts nicely.

You've got a nice collection going. :thumbup: