Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest Masters' Lounge

Remember to talk with Sandy, if you haven't been already :wink:

Don't worry, I will. Just wanting a general opinion before I jump head first into QMing.

You guys really should've just entered battle and thrown the smoke bomb. At the end when you were even proposing money, I was kind of like :wacko:

But I think the ending was more fun this way, and it leaves some pain in the heroes.

Alright, one more sneak peek and then it's off to work on this some more.

---

I think the Handy Suitcase is a little overpowered, but I would like some feed back.

Your first batch of enemies looks fine, but this second group seems to have way too little health (it'll take even a low-level party only a few rounds to take them out), and they give way too much loot. Generally speaking, one enemy should drop either gold, consumable items OR an artifact/weapon. Boss enemies can of course drop more, depending on their difficulty level.

It is also important to remember that you don't have to be especially clever when creating equipment. Too complex effects only spell trouble for the player and all the QMs in the future (as has been witnessed many times by now). So there is nothing wrong with weapons that have no special effects, or artifacts that only give immunity to one effect/element, for example.

Thanks for the feedback Sandy. I'll keep your suggestions in mind from now on. I'll look into changing the drops and health accordingly.

Of the three items I see there, Kintobor, I like the Handy Suitcase the best.

So there is nothing wrong with weapons that have no special effects, or artifacts that only give immunity to one effect/element, for example.

I would add to this the flip side: there is nothing wrong with enemy Specials that simply cause Effects. Not every enemy has to be the new Chaos Beast, despite how fun they are to fight. :wink: I think it's also a good idea for some a fair portion of enemies to deal elemental damage rather than non-elemental damage, just to make elemental immunity more worth the cost. Sandy's already ramped up this sort of enemy in his own Quests, but I think we all ought to take it even further.

More elemental enemies is a necessity. I am going to include them in all of my future quests in great numbers, aka whenever it makes even somewhat logical sense.

Sandy, I have a few questions for you while planning my next quest. You've talked about Stirlance twice now. Do you have any plans for him?

I think both of my two next quests are going to be a lot of fun and VERY zany. I'm super excited for them, though I'm taking a few months off before launching them.

Sandy, I have a few questions for you while planning my next quest. You've talked about Stirlance twice now. Do you have any plans for him?

I think both of my two next quests are going to be a lot of fun and VERY zany. I'm super excited for them, though I'm taking a few months off before launching them.

I happen to know that Stirlance is a rival of Wigglepike, at least in regards of whose writings are more popular. :wink:

EDIT: Or to be precise, Wigglepike considers Stirlance a rival; I have no idea whether Stirlance feels the same way, or if Stirlance is even still alive. :laugh:

Edited by Flipz

I would add to this the flip side: there is nothing wrong with enemy Specials that simply cause Effects.

I think it's also a good idea for some a fair portion of enemies to deal elemental damage rather than non-elemental damage, just to make elemental immunity more worth the cost.

:thumbup: to both of these statements. I don't know if heroes are just so lucky these days, but negative effects seem somewhat rare. ...Or maybe it's just me. I really think we should see them splashed out a little more liberally. It would make those Neutralizers and Remedies more of a necessity.

Really? Where? :oh:

:snicker:

Seriously, when have you last been poisoned or hexed or something like that, eh?

No plans for him. He's just Eubric's resident playwright. He can be dead or alive, it's all the same to me.

I felt I was slightly stingy with the loot, however. :sceptic:

Are you serious?

As stingy as the other quest you're running where they're fighting off a hoarde of proggs and get 6 potions for their efforts! :tongue:

Explanation 1: I believe in (Quest 2?) the party got a reward of 1,200 gold to split amongst 6 heroes - here, it was 350 among 5. Not to mention, a lot of the loot i gave out was immediately consumed in the coming battles... I feel as if they should've just gotten a little more gold. :blush:

Explanation 2: They've got enough loot on 48 already on this battle :tongue: , and they also got a handful of smelling slats/nostrums/meads... not to mention some mini-boss items (one that is good, and one that will become really good down the road.) Also, double EXPs.

Just to prove that you don't have to feel bad:

Quest#55 (Beginner's quest):

- 6 Heroes

- 194 gold total loot

- 669 total purchase value of the loot

= 13 to 62 gold per Hero

= 68 to 168 purchase value per Hero

Quest#56 (Beginner's quest):

- 5 Heroes

- 680 gold total loot

- 980 total purchase value of the loot

= 130 to 140 gold per Hero

= 150 to 260 purchase value per Hero

I think they can't complain.

Edited by PsyKater

No, I'm happy with the loot. Lots of loot! Nothing overly special, but still, money makes the world.

No, I'm happy with the loot. Lots of loot! Nothing overly special, but still, money makes the world.

If you thought that that was a lot of loot, then you are going to have a pleasant surprise in future quests :laugh:

As long as I have enough gold for a weapons upgrade or 2, some consumables, and a little left to save up for equipment, I'm generally a happy camper.

As a QM, I generally try to restrain myself to one semi-rare item per PC. Quest 54 for example, featured a grating stone, a new scroll, and a pretty nice artifact and that was about it. As others have said, there's nothing wrong with drops of gold, consumables, or plain weapons.

Edited by Waterbrick Down

From the way that you've spoken about Stirlance, he's always seemed sort of dead to me, as if he was a great playwright of the last generation (the tome of his plays just seems like it would HAVE to come out after his death, because most people just don't have that great of success while they're alive :grin: ). I will be scripting the quest involving him (only loosely involving him) as if he were dead... but, if you or anyone really wants him alive, then please speak up now before I kill him for everyone. :blush:

From the way that you've spoken about Stirlance, he's always seemed sort of dead to me, as if he was a great playwright of the last generation (the tome of his plays just seems like it would HAVE to come out after his death, because most people just don't have that great of success while they're alive :grin: ). I will be scripting the quest involving him (only loosely involving him) as if he were dead... but, if you or anyone really wants him alive, then please speak up now before I kill him for everyone. :blush:

Can Dyric have his head?

If there's one thing I've learned from the Battle Summaries and helping Endgame out is that just saying "I repeat" or some variation of that is a f*cking pain in the @ss for the QM. It makes you have to scroll up and down far more than you should have to, and is generally just a huge pain. I'll do it if I'm really in a hurry, but I prefer to make that extra effort on my end because it saves the QM SO much headache. :wink:

If there's one thing I've learned from the Battle Summaries and helping Endgame out is that just saying "I repeat" or some variation of that is a f*cking pain in the @ss for the QM. It makes you have to scroll up and down far more than you should have to, and is generally just a huge pain. I'll do it if I'm really in a hurry, but I prefer to make that extra effort on my end because it saves the QM SO much headache. :wink:

How so? I find it a lot easier, not having to change targets, row, or weapon. :wacko:

I disagree, having QM'd 3 quests, I can say while not as exciting, just saying you repeat your action isn't a problem at all, since I'm just quoting the last battle round anyways.

Huh. I'm normally re-typing everything anyway, since in most cases Cronk adjust the battle order, which makes copy-pasting of the old one more trouble than it's worth. I suppose if the B.O. stays the same, then a copy-paste of the battle result column (just changing the rolls) would be easier, but otherwise I'd find it easier just to quote the party leader's B.O. and then add the actions to it.