Rate the set  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

don't have the money for this at all, but i think it's a lot better than many of you are making it out to be. i don't really care about the figures, that's not what you buy a set like this for. is it perfect? no, but it's still the best looking set on this scale that lego has ever made.

It's the only thing Lego had made at this scale! The Executor is 19,000 meters long, I dread to think what the scaling is 1:10,000 :laugh:

... I think Aeroeza also had plenty of pictures of the studio model, and Lasse has already said a bit about the design...

You've covered all my sources there FA (and I'd expect nothing less). :thumbup:

So what do I think of 10221 so far?

I think much of our speculation was spot on! The top and rear look pretty darn good with the super structure greebling being a real standout. There is much to like here just as our poll reveals which belies many of the negative posts in this string. I give it 'above average' for now but suspect that once I build this monster it will change to 'outstanding' (with qualifications) because it's just so darn big and also a little crazy! :cry_happy:

Okay. We knew the underside would disappoint so I'm not going to bang on about that- what I really wanted to know was if the profile also suffered from the infamous 'flat bottom'. The photos reveal that the studs up approach utilizes a slight graded layering of plates (three thick) and although this has obvious ascetic and 'accuracy' issues when viewed from underneath it does do some justice to the profile of the hull's wedge and also means there aren't going to be any stability problems present (this is a good thing).

When considering other stand out SSD MOC's Lasse's model appears fragile and prone to drooping whereas Anio's is too bulky (but stronger) when viewed in profile. If these MOCS were available to buy I'd probably have gone with Lasse's first because of the more accurate profile. Unfortunately two years later I'd then probably wish I'd purchased Anio's because there's nothing worse than a saggy weapon of mass Imperial destruction to impress lounge room guests with. (BTW love your work guys :wub: ).

Kurt's solution is in some ways a compromise between the two builds but we lose a lot of hanger bays and structural detail along the way. Perhaps this is a fair call to make when having to consider pragmatic design issues for commercial products- no floppy nose and no need to order replacement parts every now and again. I'd say Lego has to enforce the kind of product standards which some of our favorite MOCS out there have the luxury to ignore. Any criticism of 10221 has to keep this in mind.

The upshot is that by doing this Kurt has really managed to create a strong build and keep much of the needle-like subtlety of the Executor's hull intact despite the model being 1.2 metres long.

Kudos! Despite the disappointing underside hull.

As for the minifigure bridge... :ugh:

Well us UCS lovers have banged on about that too so I'll add only this. It's very well integrated and wonderfully hidden. I can't see how the build might have been compromised by its inclusion and as others have already noted it adds a little something for everyone.

To call this UCS set just a glorified playset would be unfair but its hybrid qualities do seem to herald the end of an era. I can live with that (I'm tough) so long as the build isn't messed around by the play features and stay very, very hidden...

As for the price. Can you really put a price on happiness? (Don't say under US $399.99 please - it was a rhetorical question). :wink:

You've covered all my sources there FA (and I'd expect nothing less). :thumbup:

So what do I think of 10221 so far?

Great write up. I think lego did a good job (from the photo) of the structure. I do think this will be more sable than the ISD with the magnets. I am hoping to put this on the wall after a bit of mods like I did the MF. I think the actual bridge needs a bit of work on it to make it taller. I do not mind the minifig bridge. It will be covered up for me and maybe add some structural stability in the middle.

This will be fun to put red LEDs in the back and displaying it.

Not sure if this has been mentioned.

But... What the heck!!?

EPIC FAIL

It's been mentioned, and they'll fix it of course. If not, then there will be first edition sticker misprint sets that'll be worth more.

It's been mentioned, and they'll fix it of course. If not, then there will be first edition sticker misprint sets that'll be worth more.

Of course they'll fix it.

I'm sure we can just call LEGO Direct when the set becomes available and have them ship the correct sticker sheet then.

Or the other way around. I know you can't always believe DK when it comes to Star Wars facts, but the LEGO Star Wars Visual Dictionary states that one of the Anakin Skywalker pens originally was printed with the surname ' Skywlaker', and the corrected pen is the rarer of the two.

It's spelt wrong plus the stats are wrong - actually has 10 times the armament!

Not only that, but the Executor is actually only 17.6km.

As I've said before, TLG really should hire someone that is crazy about SW accuracy to point out problems like this.

I've been browsing the net for hours and hours to get all the ressources I could get in order to know the real length of the ship.

Eventually, I retained the 19,000 km value.

It was IMO the most relevant value considering the reliability of some websites, and the quantity of each value I found.

Whatever, it is true that the mini ISD does not have the right size.

124x1600/19000 = 10.44 cm long.

Mine is 11.9 cm long (+1.5)

The one in the 1221 seems to be 8.8 cm long (-1.6). But IMO, the biggest problem is not the size itself, but the fact that building a smaller model compels the designer to build a sucky mini ISD.

I've been browsing the net for hours and hours to get all the ressources I could get in order to know the real length of the ship.

Eventually, I retained the 19,000 km value.

It was IMO the most relevant value considering the reliability of some websites, and the quantity of each value I found.

Model measurements

David West Reynolds has kindly taken some measurements of the actual Executor model. The total length of the model is 277.0cm and the command tower is 4.2cm wide. If we know the absolute width of the tower, we can then determine the absolute length of the ship.

The Imperator-class star destroyer has the same basic tower as the Executor. (The structure is probably a constant brand feature of all major warship designs from Kuat Drive Yards.) By examining the destroyer proportions, and assuming its well-established length (about one mile), we can determine the absolute tower width. Photographs in STAR WARS Chronicles and STAR WARS to Indiana Jones yield upper limits of 284m and 282m, an estimate of 267m and a lower limit of 245m. There may be some slight variance between the different models.

The true width of the tower is probably in the range of 265 - 270m. Therefore the Executor's length, based on the tower yardstick, is:

17.6±0.2km.

Since the accepted length of an Imperator is roughly 1.6km, this figure also adheres to the "eleven times the size of the original Star Destroyer" claim stated in From STAR WARS to Indiana Jones. :classic::wink:

Edited by fallenangel309

But the fact that building a smaller model compels the designer to build a sucky mini ISD.

They should have built a better ISD instead of the silly bloody undersized pointless bridge.

They should have built a better ISD instead of the silly bloody undersized pointless bridge.

I don't think they'll make a remake of a UCS. But I agree the they could have done much better!

As I've said before, TLG really should hire someone that is crazy about SW accuracy to point out problems like this.

But dont all these sets / designs go through Lucasfilm to get approved? - Surely the creators of these vehicles know their own products right?? right?? :wacko:

But dont all these sets / designs go through Lucasfilm to get approved? - Surely the creators of these vehicles know their own products right?? right?? :wacko:

The sources are just all different. And I'd guess that a lot of Lucasfilm's measurements are not based on the studio models.

Let me tell you something another AFOL told me...

...it is unrealistic to expect LEGO to release general minifig scale sets to the same standard that the best AFOLs can produce. As for the kids who are the main LEGO market – you have to remember that a rainbow warrior looks good to them, they still have imagination. So the sets LEGO sells are never going to be perfect. We AFOLs should not have unrealistic expectations about the accuracy of of standard minifig scaled sets.

And about two months later I started to let it loose a little.

Nah, 19,000 is right - the star wars databank and wookiepedia are clear on that

http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/superstardestroyer/

This is the third time an AFOL has said this to me today. :laugh: Read my post above, please.

Edited by fallenangel309

Is the set swooshable???

Haha a very funny comment. :laugh: :laugh:

I´m not a Star Wars guy, but the set for sure is impressive on its size, yet the prize is really way to up. I guess many people will wait for a sale.

Also they could have added a version of a mini ship next to it, or a small fleet, for that prize too a few more minifigs could have improved the overall of this set.

Not sure if this has been mentioned.

But... What the heck!!?

EPIC FAIL

KimT- don't knock 'turo blasers'! They are warm and extremely comfortable to ware- not to mention being hand knitted by disabled yaks who have large families to feed. :angry:

the size of this SSD is just too huge for me to display anywhere in my home. also the too-many grey parts are not too nice to assemble (my own opinion).

that said, it has to be the Apex of the Lego Star Wars issued so far.

Also they could have added a version of a mini ship next to it, or a small fleet, for that prize too a few more minifigs could have improved the overall of this set.

Uh, they did... that's what was being discussed further up the page.

KimT- don't knock 'turo blasers'! They are warm and extremely comfortable to ware- not to mention being hand knitted by disabled yaks who have large families to feed. :angry:

Ooooh! :oh:

Never thought about them, so sorry :blush::laugh:

i've posted this in the events forum but thought i would add a link here since it inovlves the 10221

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=56799&view=findpost&p=1012479

A "full UCS line-up supplied by Lego"? Does this mean we finally get an official definition of what constitutes a UCS with 'exclusives' thrown in for good measure? Or will the 'true believers' find out their faith in the 'pure' UCS will finally be signed, sealed and displayed in all their non-playset glory?!? I'll be waiting with baited breath to find out the answer to this one....

...and I bet they'll still get it wrong! :wink: