JunkstyleGio

The Technic Challenge Competition May: Helicopter

This months challenge is all about helicopters..

As some of us already expected by correctly interpreting the designers blog on Lego.com.

Let's hope that the new requirement helps against cheating!

about time they included a requirement for a logo/name/etc

I'm looking forward to seeing what *real* models are produced now!

RB

I am not sure whether AFOL entries are even being considered during the Lego Technic Challenge 2011. After all, there have been no AFOL finalists posted on the Technic Designers Blog (like last year).

So, if this competition is for 5-18 year olds, "Leg Godt" = "Play Well" (no cheating or plagiarizing). It would be refreshing to have 10 original finalists without having bogus submissions.

pic70E5B3CA91BA456455D7E9FC7BF0F357.jpg

Edited by DLuders

I am not sure whether AFOL entries are even being considered during the Lego Technic Challenge 2011. After all, there have been no AFOL finalists posted on the Technic Designers Blog (like last year).

There are AFOL winnners posted in the newest technic.lego.com blog post.

Just look :wink:

Edited by legolijntje

My mistake! Here is what the Lego Technic Designers Blog says:

"Just as last year, we have received a number of AFOL (Adult Fans of LEGO) creations. As always, these adult models, and others will be selected for a full round of voting in a pure adult-submission finale which will run after the grand finale in October - the winner will receive the same grand-prize as for the current competition, which is the full LEGO® Technic 2011 product assortment (all new models in 2011).

"Here are the AFOL entries from March:

"Uploaded by simcer:

pic30D543038C051E669BCCFEA48535BD04.jpg

"Uploaded by jovel1974":

pic8F9C4D5E1EDDFD6E9BDFE7D7AFB6FF61.jpg

The blog entry (dated May 1, 2011) also says:

"It's May and that means we will kick off a new round of the LEGO Technic challenge. This time the theme will be Helicopter of the Future, so get your imagination started and start building!

"When it comes to how a helicopter works in present day, have a look at the blog posted by Lars. Try to imagine how a helicopter will work and look like in the future.

"We hope to see a lot of cool helicopters!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"In the first rounds of the LEGO Technic Challenge we have seen people trying to cheat, by posting images of models that were not their own creations. This is of course not acceptable and the images have been deleted from the competition."

[As Mahjqa noted] "To prevent this from happening again we have made a new rule: You need to print out the LEGO Technic Challenge logo, found under downloads-posters, and place it next to your model when photographing it. An alternative to printing could be to take the picture next to your computer screen, so the LEGO Technic Challenge image is visible. This way we can be sure it's your own creation and not somebody else's found on the web.

"The idea with the LEGO Technic Challenge is that you should challenge yourself to build something new. When we go through all the model entries every month we see a lot of cool creative models. So let’s continue that positive spirit in the competition."

Edited by DLuders

A technic question :look: : I'm going to build a copter with two main rotor. Do these rotors need the collective pitch in real helicopters?

Excuse me for this maybe stupid question :blush: .

i dont think that it is a stupid question.

the collective is as far i know the control for the flight height, so i think a helicopter like the chinook need it too. the only different is, that a normal helicpter needs the collective for the tail rotor which control the rotation through the height axis

I did an image search on Google.com for the terms "Futuristic Helicopter", and there are lots of interesting design ideas. Here are a few:

AIR_Bell-Boeing_QTR_Concept_lg.jpghelicopter-753687.jpgHeli_Back.jpg

Edited by DLuders

Thanks, Efferman!

Another "problem": i do not own this piece:

2908.gif

Is it truly indispensable or I can find cozily an alternative solution?

Excuse me for my stupid questions :blush: .

Thanks, Efferman!

2908.gif

If you use that piece, you will also have to buy the "Technic Ball with Grooves" and "Technic Propeller 4 Blade 7 Stud Diameter with Square Ends". You need those two pieces, plus the piece you mentioned to build a Technic swash plate.

2907.gif?02906.jpg?0

You should be able to find a different way of building the rotor head and swash plate without that part, but you will need some Technic pins with towball and some links. Having that part would make it easier though. You might be able to build a more functionally realistic rotor system while you're at it. :grin: Most Technic helicopters built don't really work like the real helicopters, and I've only seen a handful that do.

Just my $.02.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

Thanks, Efferman!

2908.gif

If I understand your question right, you can also make something like used in one of the first technic sets 852.

852collective.gif

852ccollective.JPG

PS: I'm trying to make a review of this set this or next month :classic:

Edited by legolijntje

Yes, Lijntje, in a studless version. I think I'll use a pulley and... (a secret and strange idea of mine :tongue: ).

I'm not angry, but many, many people spell my username wrong (but this mistake is a new one :laugh: ): it's Legolijntje. Whit lego in front of it. :wink:

Edited by legolijntje

They want a future copter, but my own is enough classic. I bet the panel of judges will refuse to examine it :tongue::wacko::sceptic: .

At least, after a year here, I'll have my first MOC :laugh::devil::laugh: .

@Lij... ehm, Legolijntje, sorry :blush: .

They want a future copter, but my own is enough classic. I bet the panel of judges will refuse to examine it :tongue::wacko::sceptic: .

At least, after a year here, I'll have my first MOC :laugh::devil::laugh: .

@Lij... ehm, Legolijntje, sorry :blush: .

I would'nt be so sure. The last challenge they asked for supercars and a few SUVs were picked by the judges :laugh:

If you use that piece, you will also have to buy the "Technic Ball with Grooves" and "Technic Propeller 4 Blade 7 Stud Diameter with Square Ends". You need those two pieces, plus the piece you mentioned to build a Technic swash plate.

Most Technic helicopters built don't really work like the real helicopters, and I've only seen a handful that do.

My Apache is one of them :classic:

The swash plate moves collectively and cyclically, with the 4 blade 7 stud propeller piece driving the pitch of the rotor blades. The individual rotor blade pitches change as the rotor rotates. The tail rotor has just a collective control. I used clip plate and rod parts in this case. Both joysticks link up with the main rotor controls and the rudder pedals are ready to be linked to the tail rotor. I built this before we had the powerful motors like the PF XL one. I might use 2 of them to power the main rotor. My original thought, long before PF, was to use two 12V train motors like this - 8 watts from each motor!

I think for a future helicopter TLG might look for less-conventional styles, but ones that make a good solution to the problems that a helicopter solves and use Technic parts well. There is as much merit in the concept idea as in the modelling skill. As such, my Apache is a classic design and a scale mode (1:20) so there is no originality of concept apart from the attempt at a proper rotor system. Having made it work myself, I'll be watching closely to see how the entrants do pitch control :wink:

Bear in mind also that some entrants in previous months have used lots of parts. A helicopter is meant to have minimum weight in order to get off the ground, so less is more! Make sure your rotor blades are big enough for the vehicle. When I put the Apache's blades on, they stretch right back to the tail - it needs a 6ft circle to operate in. PF IR would be the only safe way to control the motors!

Of course the ultimate prize would be to make a model the flies. So far I achieved 39g of lift the the pictured models, up to 50g in the latest experiments. I need more aerodynamic parts, like the white fan blades from the educational kit.

Mark