On a scale of 1 to 5  

229 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding!

Fantastic review Brickster. This set is definitely the highlight of the POTC line, and although it isn't as good as the Imperial Flagship (which is to be expected, since its sixty dollars cheaper), it is incredibly distinctive and a feast on the eyes.

However, there is one thing you ommitted to mention in your review, but is rather evident in your photos: the poor color quality of some of the torsos. This photo illustrates what I'm talking about best:

08.jpg

It's obvious to me that the shirt opening of the left figure and the chest of the right figure were meant to be the same color as their hands and heads, but instead they're an odd shade of nougat that doesn't look good at all. In a line that highlights its fancy new figures over anything else, this is a serious problem. :pir-hmpf_bad:

Thanks for the review, Brickster!

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this set. I love the overall look of the ship, but something seems to be missing. Perhaps I'd liked to have seen more play features. Sure just the fact of having a big old pirate presents tons of play value, but it's a lack of other functions that I miss. I also don't like how small the cabin is - not being able to fit more of the Captain's Cabin set in there is a let down. As with the rest of the PotC line though, I do love the minifigures and accessories!

Great review!

Sorry if this has been asked or answered, but how many cannon holders/mounts (the things that the cannons go on) are there per side? I know there's six outer "flaps", but only four, or is it five or six mounts? Thanks!

EDIT: I'm asking because I need to know how many cannons to buy off Bricklink. :pir_laugh2:

-Santhor

Edited by Santhor

Great review!

Sorry if this has been asked or answered, but how many cannon holders/mounts (the things that the cannons go on) are there per side? I know there's six outer "flaps", but only four, or is it five or six mounts? Thanks!

EDIT: I'm asking because I need to know how many cannons to buy off Bricklink. :pir_laugh2:

There are four real mounts and two fake mounts per side. The front and rear "flaps" overlap the hull pieces, making it impossible to put gun mounts there.

Anyone think this will be available in August still? Or sell out by then? I hope to buy this on my birthday...

I love this set. Not because it is new but because anything you don't like is easy to mod. Cabin door? Easy, just make a simple wall and put a door (or two) on it. Second deck? Easy, Just use up some brown or black plates and possibly add a door down to the bottom deck.

Sometimes LEGO sets are sort of open for interpretation. :pir-tongue:

:jollyroger:

This was in my Easter basket (took advantage of the TRU BOGO deal) and I quite enjoyed putting it together, but thats because I really don't have many pirate sets. I can easily see how AFOLs who have MOCed boats would think this isn't all that good because you use the advanced techniques that hide the flaws this set has. I feel the same way about most Sw and city sets because I have several UCS and Modular homes. regardless, I have to say the minifig printing is topnotch and matches the really good POP figs like Nizam.

I think the reason I like this, but not the regular lego boats, is it has a bunch of super cool details like the lanterns, skulls and bones. I even put the stickers on; I have enough regular windows and doors as it is to where I didn't mind stickering the ones in this set.

I will say that you could make a really nice UCS version using two QARs and a ton of jumpers.

Edited by gotoAndLego

I really like your review!

Can I translate your post and make repost photos in our Ukrainian Lego community, with the link to the original?

Sorry for my English :pir-blush:

Anyone think this will be available in August still? Or sell out by then? I hope to buy this on my birthday...

I don't know where you live, but in the US the Prince of Persia sets were available for more than a year. You might be prepared to buy it before your birthday and wait with building it; I say this because there were various general Lego and POP discount sales while the sets were out. The best I scored was 40% off from Borders.com. Don't worry, it will be there for you.

I just got the Flagship and now can't wait to have this one. The size and deck on the flagship prompted me to get that one first but every pic I see of this one makes me want it more! It just looks sooo evil. A must have!

Thank you! That's what I thought, from the pictures, but it seemed odd to have fake mounts. Now that you mention it though, I wouldn't put it beyond TLG in a licensed set. :hmpf_bad:

-Santhor

Can I translate your post and make repost photos in our Ukrainian Lego community, with the link to the original?

Absolutely. Not a problem if you'd like to translate or use any of the images.

Built my copy the other day and really like it. It's quite bigger than the Brickbeard's Bounty (which I own), but I wonder how the QAR compares to the new Imperial Flagship.

I think you also should have mentioned that only 8 of the 12 cannon flaps can actually have cannons behind them. That combined with the fact that there are only three cannons really disappoints me.

Overall I don't like the ship too much, but if I get it as a gift, I wouldn't complain lol.

I'm a big fan of pirates overall. Pirate lore, One Piece, Flogging Molly, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and of course the Pirates of the Caribbean movie franchise. Pretty much the only pirates I don't like are from Pittsburgh, and that's mostly because they're from Pittsburgh (I'm a big Philadelphia Flyers fan, so I'm contractually obligated to dislike everything and anything from Pittsburgh).

Also, most Lego sets of my youth that weren't City or Technic are pirates. Unfortunately, I never had a real pirate ship. When I got a big set for christmas or some other event, it was usually either a big Technic set, or a City set. However, friends of mine had a pirate ship, and I was of course jealous.

Now that I'm out of my dark ages and well on my way to become a full fledged AFOL, I thought I should maybe tie up what I left out in my youth. So today, I went out and bought the Queen Anne's Revenge. It wasn't that complicated a build and finished it in around 3 hours, but it's one damn nice looking set. I thought it was a little expensive, but I'm looking forward to getting the Black Pearl in the fall. While I think I'll stick mostly with Technic, I do enjoy myself a good pirate vessel :)

Coincidence indeed. My local one had two of them sitting in a cart behind the customer service desk while every other item had been sold.

I had to ask for the sets, and a TRU rep pulled out a cart from the back. I snagged 4 of them at 119.99$ BOGO. Good thing because QAR @ TRU is now 131.99$!

This thread has a photo of the two.

Thanks. I seemed to have overlooked those.

Now that I'm out of my dark ages and well on my way to become a full fledged AFOL, I thought I should maybe tie up what I left out in my youth... It wasn't that complicated a build and finished it in around 3 hours, but it's one damn nice looking set. I thought it was a little expensive, but I'm looking forward to getting the Black Pearl in the fall.

I feel very similar to you. I own just a few Pirate ships and love how this one looks. Yes, most of the comments/critisism from many is right on. At the same time, that doesn't change the fact that I think this is a beautiful ship. I'm a City and Train guy, Adventurers and Indiana Jones, as well as a few other themes, and missed Classic Pirates for the most part. A nice ship is a nice ship, and since I've built the Queen Anne, I went back and picked up the entire line of PotC sets. Haven't built them yet, but I'll get around to it. I'm very much looking forward to the Black Pearl later in the year. :thumbup:

Built my copy the other day and really like it. It's quite bigger than the Brickbeard's Bounty (which I own), but I wonder how the QAR compares to the new Imperial Flagship.

Just wondering, can you take a picture to compare between Brickbeard's Bounty and the Queen Anne?

Also, could you take a bird's eye view of the ship? And possibly remove the top sections of the sails? I want to see what sorts of plates would be best for modding on a second deck. :thumbup:

If you could would you please take additional pictures of the set with the minifigures inside the ship. Great Review by the way!

I put my "flaming skeleton" in a more of an upright position, also raised the cannons by one flat 2x4 which alows them to stick out the ports at an angle of your choosing, much better.

IMG_1543.JPG?psid=1

IMG_1544.JPG?psid=1

Yesterday all PotC were delivered and I had the time to build the QAR... what a fantastic set!

Almost everything I love: The figs, the building experience, the detail... just fantastic. A shame that only 3 cannons were included. But weapons enough, the sails are great. And a light in my room projected the "Jolly Rodger" and displayed it big onto a white wall... was a really cool effect.

One small comment, some parts are only connected to one side, I hoped Lego would think of something to connect some parts better.

Can't wait for the Black Pearl, Flying Dutchman or the Dauntless :pir-cry_happy:

PART 5

40.jpg

That was fun - perhaps I'll create some battle scenes. Wow! these ships take some floor space. Now I need some plastic water and some rocks. I can see how you pirate fans can really get into this. :pir-blush:

These are great comparison pictures, I think the Queen Anne's Revenge looks a lot more dynamic than the Imperial Flagship.

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum