Sign in to follow this  
nebraska

Train parts Q&A

That is a standard old 9V train wheel set minus the holder (The old ones are metal through the wheel, the new ones are plastic wheels that attach to the metal axle but are therefore removable) with a non Lego metal tube around it to both increase it's size and to act as a smooth rolling bearing. More infomation can be found in these instructions by Cale Leiphart.

That is a standard old 9V train wheel set minus the holder (The old ones are metal through the wheel, the new ones are plastic wheels that attach to the metal axle but are therefore removable) with a non Lego metal tube around it to both increase it's size and to act as a smooth rolling bearing. More infomation can be found in these instructions by Cale Leiphart.

Exactly, this is it :) Thanks!

HI, The part you are referring to is a non Lego brass tube. If you look on RailBrick, instructions for Jeremy Spurgeon's flatcar, you will see it illustrated. All my stuff is boxed up and I can't remember where I got it, but I use a brass tube that is 2mm id and cut it to length. Look at RC hobby stores.

It is my understanding that one of the many reasons that 12v set 7760 Blue shunter is so sought after because of its many many rare pieces, one of which is the blue train doors. However, in my recent quest to find all of the pieces so i could have my own without ridiculous sums of money, I came across this: http://www.bricklink...sp?itemID=9610. 8 bucks for 10 doors with windows? I think that's a steal. I hope this is helpful, and if it isn't, feel free to bash me and close this thread. . :classic: . Thanks for reading!post-32801-0-99549500-1353728826_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheBrickster

The expensive parts in 7760 are the blue windows and weight blocks which were only ever released in that set. As you point out blue doors were also in a service pack so less rare

Recreating 7760 without at least one blue weight brick is tough- otherwise you need to switch to red when it becomes much cheaper. But then it would be a very angry blue shunnter if it had turned red.

Hi Paddy,

Agree it's pretty good value..

I don't think it's the doors that are particularly rare in 7760 though (unless they have the 7760 stickers attached).

The two 1x3x2 Blue Windows from 7760 and a 12V Motor will cost over $100US (over $150 if you add a 7760 sticker sheet and instructions). :sad:

Still definitely a handy bag to pick up if you need a few doors. :classic:

Cheers,

LLL

Did it really take me 15 mins to write that ??? :tongue:

looks like roamingstudio beat me to it. Forgot about the weights....another $30-$40...yowch!

Well I have been after some of these doors in blue for a while. I tend to only buy from UK sellers being in the UK myself and having been hit by import taxes more than once doubling the price of my purchase. I want them to make passenger coaches that can pass as BR Blue and white scheme. I have managed to get a couple but both the same side. I am on the look out for more all the time at a reasonable price. I'll keep an eye out for the service pack though now i know it exists.

The expensive parts in 7760 are the blue windows and weight blocks which were only ever released in that set. As you point out blue doors were also in a service pack so less rare

Recreating 7760 without at least one blue weight brick is tough- otherwise you need to switch to red when it becomes much cheaper. But then it would be a very angry blue shunnter if it had turned red.

A weight brick? what is that... :wacko: Also lego needs to sell those doors in Pick-A-Brick

Hi Paddy,

Agree it's pretty good value..

I don't think it's the doors that are particularly rare in 7760 though (unless they have the 7760 stickers attached).

The two 1x3x2 Blue Windows from 7760 and a 12V Motor will cost over $100US (over $150 if you add a 7760 sticker sheet and instructions). 

Still definitely a handy bag to pick up if you need a few doors. 

Cheers,

LLL

Did it really take me 15 mins to write that ??? 

looks like roamingstudio beat me to it. Forgot about the weights....another $30-$40...yowch!

But those stickers are no problem at all, we have nice reproductions that are almost identical to the original ones (and we are about to improve quality soon because of a brand new printer :)) (LEGO also buys them from external printing shops so even for purists it should be doable ;))

@Paddy, nice tip, I immediately bought a set for my new 7760 shunter.

A weight brick? what is that... :wacko: ....

It's one of the 2x6x2 brick you can see below.....an extra weighty brick to help gravity give the driving wheels good purchase on the rails ....

7760-special-parts.jpg

Thanks Hobbes for posting this link in an earlier post

LLL

Nice photo of all the expensive bits... JUst wish it was cheap to buy them. My rebuilt 7760 still misses ine blue weight brick- but it is not noticable- a black works at front if locomotive offset by 1 stud with two 1x2 bricks at the front. A purist will conplain but 30 bucks for 1 brick is a lot of cash

It's one of the 2x6x2 brick you can see below.....an extra weighty brick to help gravity give the driving wheels good purchase on the rails ....

7760-special-parts.jpg

Thanks Hobbes for posting this link in an earlier post

LLL

What a nice picture! :wub:

12volt-152.jpg

I was sorting through some of my older 9V models and discovered a variation in the light grey split train base which did not appear listed on bricklink. And I was curious...

On the official train bases (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2972) the image shows two variations 2176.jpg

Both have only one hole at each end (for the bogey). Quite a few of my light grey bases have three holes at each end - and checking the quality - it appears to have been an official mould and not someone doing a bit of drilling. Does anyone know of this variation or indeed why these extra holes are present... perhaps Lego were originally planning an official Jacobs bogey design for 4549?

Any ideas or decent speculation?

I've noticed this as well. I believe the version with three holes was released before the version with only one hole. The instuctions for both 4549 and 4547 depict the version with three holes.

The Additional Notes on the BrickLink reference page you linked mentions this but is worded horribly.

Cheers from Claremore, Oklahoma USA! :classic:

Dave

Hi all,

I'm going to motorize my Maersk train.

Official instruction says that I need the following parts:

- 88000 Battery Box

- 88002 Motor

- 8884 IR Receiver

- 8879 Remote Controller

I've found the following parts on BrickLink:

- 87513c01 Battery Box

- 87574c01 Motor

- 58123c01 IR Receiver

- 64227 Remote Controller

Seller says that the parts have different code numbers, but are the same.

Could you confirm there are no differences (color, size, etc...)?

Thank you for your help.

Edited by robt

Howdy robt!

It looks like the seller is listing the individual parts, probably from parting out one of the LEGO trains with Power Functions included.

If you look at the BrickLink inventory for the sets required to motorize the Maersk train, you'll see the item number used on BrickLink:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=88000-1

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=88002-1

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=8884-1

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=8879-1

Cheers from Claremore, Oklahoma USA! :classic:

Dave

Thank you, DaveBey, for your fast and useful reply.

Stupidly I forgot to check the inventory.

I didn't know that it could be possible to list products on store as inventory parts.

This can be a trap sometimes...

eg. Collectible minifigs are catalogued as a set (eg "Bunny Suit Guy - Complete Set")", and within the set - the assembled minifig is also catalogued with the familiar name (eg "Bride", "Bunny Suit Guy").....anyone could easily make the mistake of buying the minifig only if they see the latter name first.....only to realise - devastatingly :oh3:*oh2*:damn::wall::cry_sad::sing::cry2::cry3::blush: - later

the base

the carrot

the flowers

the shield

etc.

isn't included.

Occasionally, sellers add a warning to the description which is handy.

LLL

Hello,

I recently came across a Lego store in Hannover that allows you to pick out bricks you want from large boxes. Among these boxes I found many nice pieces, however this one find stood out.

Among the many pieces was this yellow x550b motor http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=x550b which I think is right. However I could not at all find the set that which the yellow motor came with.

mMFGpOW.jpg

So does anyone know where exactly this motor comes from? Also is it of any value at all?

I managed to test it to today to see if it works and it does which is amazing, however I have no intention of keeping it since I do no have any 4.5v track to run it :cry_sad: (I'll stick with my 9v)

Ah thank you, all these different voltages and parts looking similar. Wished they had a part numbers on some of these old pieces.

Set 404 (with this yellow 4.5v motor) was the very first set I got as a child, when I was 5 I think (approx. 1978/79)!