For the last few months I was busy making my first quadroped. It all started with the spine, which was built out of several 5L beams connected with frictionless pins, which gave it flexibility. To tilt the spine I used 2 LA's one for left/right and the other for up/down bending. After the spine was complete, work began on the legs. Each leg used 2M motors for tilitng the both joints. Also the front 2 legs used the Rc unit's steering output in order to tilt them together. in total there were 10 M motors and all in all 11 functions, 3 of them RC. The biggest flaw of the model was the large weight and the worm gears. Lego worm gears have a lot of slack, which caused this model to fell down quite a lot.

Here are pictures of the model:

Cheetah resting:

p1150506.jpg

Sitting:

p1150507.jpg

Front legs tilted apart:

p1150508.jpg

And tilted together:

p1150509.jpg

Agressive pose:

p1150510.jpg

Head view of the spine bent left:

p1150511.jpg

And right:

p1150512.jpg

View under:

p1150513.jpg

Stretching.

p1150514.jpg

Glowing green eyes:

p1150515.jpg

And finally the teeth:

p1150516.jpg

p1150517.jpg

Here's also a video.

I would like to thank to Eric Steenstra for missing parts and motors.

Even thought this model failed, the next quadropad wont :laugh:

Edited by Zblj

What a very nice moc. :thumbup::classic:

And something complety different for technic and mindstorms.

You're MOC still looks amazing tho, especially love the teeth!

That video of the walking robot was inspiring, just wished the narrator would shut up so I could listen the soundtrack from the awesome movie that is SUNSHINE :grin:

going back to the kitty, it looked on the vid like its legs slipped from under it?? maybe try it on a carpet or rubber mat so it can't do bambi impressions.

going back to the kitty, it looked on the vid like its legs slipped from under it?? maybe try it on a carpet or rubber mat so it can't do bambi impressions.

That was also my impression. LEGO bricks and parquet or laminate flooring have a very low friction :cry_happy:.

If you add those rubber thingies with the two axle holes as the paws, it might stick to the gorund better.

Nevertheless a very good looking model! Nice idea with all the joints and movements it can/could do.

btw. the "little dog" reminds me of:

Tefal-814130-Handmixer-Handruehrgeraet-350-Watt-.jpg

The "rubber thingies with the two axle holes" = 45590 "Technic, Axle Connector Double Flexible (Rubber)":

45590.jpg

I have not seen a yellow cat-like Lego Technic creation like this. It could be considered to be an updated (Power Functions) version of the cat appearing at the lower-left corner of the 8277 Giant Model set from 1997:

8277-1.jpg

Failed or not, still it looks pretty amazing. I love especially the design of the head.

I had a good laugh when I saw it flopping on the video. But if you weren't as honest, and not submitted the video, I would have believed that it was a success. Does the linear action of the actuators qualify it for the Lego Competition? I it did, I would submit it. Brilliant work as ever.