Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

I could see a ship being bigger than the IFS, especially from a licensed theme like POTC. I think as fans, we put the IFS on a pedastool, and rightly so, it's a beautiful ship. But I don't think it will always be the top dog, eventually it's bound to get one upped, maybe THIS is the ship to do it.

Look at the modulars, everybody loves those, and rightly so. But the Ghostbusters HQ is bigger, better, and just plain cooler than ANY of the modulars. I know not everybody is going to agree with that, but IMO it's really hard to dispute that building for building that the GBHQ is not the superior set. So I could easily see Lego taking that same approach with this ship, really raising the bar.

Edited by Captain Pirate Man

I mean we did receiver a leak back in 2011 about an UCS/D2C Flying Dutchman didn't we. Maybe this is it? It's what fans have gone on about, it reached 10,000 votes on Lego Ideas as well. It would be awesome to get the Black Pearl though! Imagine all the crew we would receive, Cotton & his parrot, Marty, JACK THE MONKEY!

I'd rather have a brand new ship.I hope it's one of the new ghost ships.

I mean we did receiver a leak back in 2011 about an UCS/D2C Flying Dutchman didn't we. Maybe this is it? It's what fans have gone on about, it reached 10,000 votes on Lego Ideas as well. It would be awesome to get the Black Pearl though! Imagine all the crew we would receive, Cotton & his parrot, Marty, JACK THE MONKEY!������

Most likely a ghost ship or Flying Dutchman, but I hope not pirate_sceptic.gif

I prefer the "yellow" Lego pirates and all the zombies, ghosts and sea creature stuff do not fit in there pir_wacko.gif

Did not get a single set from the last POC wave..

Parrot and Jack the monkey would be great on the other hand pirate_laugh2.gif

Edited by Roebuck

It has to be the black pearl. Yeah the flying Dutchman could make since but if this is the only set there making. Wouldn't they want more of a a play set where you but it and your done? The black pearl you can buy and your done. You can have tons of adventures with captain jack. The flying Dutchman however people would want. But you want more ships to play with because you can't just have the flying Dutchman unlike the black pearl. And maybe lego realized that not to many people bought the last one. So maybe there making a UCS version for them and all the other collectors of the theme. For fact I know even if I wasnt a lego fan but a pirates of the Caribbean fan...I would want the black pearl over the flying Dutchman

After reading everyone's thoughts here, and thinking about it more myself, I'm starting to think we probably will be getting a whole wave. The BIG sets tend to get the first news, so I think that's what's going on here. A big UCS ship is clearly happeneing, which is great news. But when you think about WHAT ship it could be raises interesting points.

Yes I agree with Azog, if you can only have 1 POTC ship what one would you want? THE Black Pearl. But the problem with that is it's already been released, so how big of a market exists for a an upgraded Black Pearl? Because Pirates related sets are becoming more of an AFOL type theme. When you add that with the clearly high price, you are pretty much making it an adult only set, so wouldn't you WANT to make sure that all AFOLS will want it then? If they already have TBP, they might say pass on it. So that really makes me think it's going to the Dutchmen or one of the Ghost Ships. Which Lego has NOT done a proper ghost ship, and ghost ships are quite popular in the clone market. So that does beg the question.

But as we said earlier, if you can only have 1 POTC ship, you would want TBP. So I'm guessing it will be getting a rerelease. That way any AFOLS that missed it, can get it now, and any kids that can only get 1 ship, can probably get it as well. So again, I'm getting the feeling a whole wave is going to happen. On top of that, if The Dutchman is NOT the UCS ship, I'm calling it now, it will be the third ship in the line. Maybe slightly more than the Pearl, but we'll under the UCS price. And if we are getting 3 ships, I suspect we will get some other sets as well.

To summerize, I'm calling it now

UCS Ghost Ship or perhaps the Dutchman

Black Pearl reissue

Midsize Dutchman (if it isn't the UCS ship)

A few other smaller sets.

Edited by Captain Pirate Man

A most hopefull rumor, will be anxiously anticipating it plays out well, since it seems to be the only historical set announced for next year so far.

Once again Captain Pirate Man you make some very good points.

I also believe that if their giving us a D2C set then there is certainly a full wave coming along.I bet this will be a 5 set wave and the flagship of the wave will be a ghost ship (like how the Queens Anne's Revenge was for the original wave back in '11) and the D2C set will be either the Black Pearl or the Dutchman.

I sure by the next two months we'll get a set list.

I really hope it's

Not the Black Pearl. I just spent too much money buying the original one and "UCSing" it myself. I also told myself that I was going to buy at least 2 of every set if we get a new POTC wave.

But it doesn't mean I'm not super excited for this news!!!!! :)

I'm sure if Lego are making an UCS set they want it to be highly detailed right? Well if that's the case it means this set will have been in the works for at least a year imo. It also leads me to believe that even if Lego had been given designs for a new POTC ship it wasn't going to be movie accurate as the initial set never really is until the movies been released. This is going to be the BP or the FD as they both have had a lot of screen time already and would give Lego the best chance of creating a good movie acurate version, which is what you want from a D2C/UCS right?

After reading everyone's thoughts here, and thinking about it more myself, I'm starting to think we probably will be getting a whole wave. The BIG sets tend to get the first news, so I think that's what's going on here. A big UCS ship is clearly happeneing, which is great news. But when you think about WHAT ship it could be raises interesting points.

Yes I agree with Azog, if you can only have 1 POTC ship what one would you want? THE Black Pearl. But the problem with that is it's already been released, so how big of a market exists for a an upgraded Black Pearl? Because Pirates related sets are becoming more of an AFOL type theme. When you add that with the clearly high price, you are pretty much making it an adult only set, so wouldn't you WANT to make sure that all AFOLS will want it then? If they already have TBP, they might say pass on it. So that really makes me think it's going to the Dutchmen or one of the Ghost Ships. Which Lego has NOT done a proper ghost ship, and ghost ships are quite popular in the clone market. So that does beg the question.

But as we said earlier, if you can only have 1 POTC ship, you would want TBP. So I'm guessing it will be getting a rerelease. That way any AFOLS that missed it, can get it now, and any kids that can only get 1 ship, can probably get it as well. So again, I'm getting the feeling a whole wave is going to happen. On top of that, if The Dutchman is NOT the UCS ship, I'm calling it now, it will be the third ship in the line. Maybe slightly more than the Pearl, but we'll under the UCS price. And if we are getting 3 ships, I suspect we will get some other sets as well.

To summerize, I'm calling it now

UCS Ghost Ship or perhaps the Dutchman

Black Pearl reissue

Midsize Dutchman (if it isn't the UCS ship)

A few other smaller sets.

I agree with you all the way on this one from sure. Im going to say no matter what ship it is, its going to be cool. I have been thinking a lot lately and im starting to hhm believe that this might be whats happening. What happens if lego is selling a $250 set that has the pearl and the ghost ship. this has never been done before but it makes perfect sence! Think about it. Lego never made a bigger ship then 10210 imperial flagship. Why would lego make a ship bigger than this. What I have seen from lego, when they make this huge iconic set they never try to top it. So why would they do it here just for a pirates of the Caribbean ship. So back on topic if they in fact put the pearl and the ghost ship in one set you have 10 times the playability with 2 decent sized ships. This would also make sense if its the only set. It would give you the entire movie experience. Trust me I would love a UCS version of any ship. But for Roy standards this could be the best option

I hope it's the Flying Dutchman. I would more eagerly purchase The Dutchman than The Black Pearl. At $250, perhaps they are using an actual brick built hull instead of the big boat pieces.

And I've been thinking 250$ for one ship is too much don't you guys think??I bet the set will contain more than a ship,like a building or something else.

For example the Imperial Flagship from 2010 cost around 180$.I can't imagine the new ship will be bigger than that and I don't want to think that Lego will charge 250$ for a ship of the same size.

Considering the amount of people Bricklink'ing the IFS for comparable $$, I expect a single ship (if this rumour pans out of course). I'd be shocked if Lego wasn't aware of the fact.

I hope it's not the last movie. Even if they move on from Jack Sparrow, I wouldn't mind them continuing because it's the only pirates film series around.

I can't imagine how they'd move away from Jack Sparrow. His over-the-top clown-prince antics is central to the franchise's success. Having said that, Geoffrey Rush's Barbosa (my fav. character personally) might be able to anchor a spin off imho.

I've been pretty bummed by this thread so far, since it's all been baseless speculation, but this rumour has some awesome potential!

You and me both. I do hope no one is simply pulling our leg on this latest rumour, as it has come like a ray of hope out of a dreary situation.

....I've been pretty bummed by this thread so far, since it's all been baseless speculation....

Well what did you expect??The latest rumor that came from The Brick Fan is the first solid leak/rumor we had thus far,well if you don't count the fake news that we had to deal with back on july.

And mind you I hate speculation as much as the next guy but I've been trying to keep this thread alive because...well because it's special for me.And I know how weird this sounds pirate_laugh2.gif Or maybe it has to do with my love for the franchise and my desparation to hear some news.

]I hope it's not the last movie. Even if they move on from Jack Sparrow, I wouldn't mind them continuing because it's the only pirates film series around.[/size]
Well Dead Men Tell No Tales is supposed to be a soft reboot,trying to bring the magic from the first film,well that's what I heard any way.

But my guess is as long as those movies make good money Disney will make more of them...and why the hell not??? The more PotC the better I say.

Now concerning Captain Jack Sparrow,he is my favourite character from the whole franchise.I mean I would be seriously disappointed if he's not anymore part of the movies.I mean they even made him a Disney Legend last year at D23.So that's saying a lot.

Edited by LOTR34

It may be just the one set same as the new ghost busters film and ghost buster firehouse which is the only one based on the original theme (this is excluding ecto 1 as its listed as ideas only on the uk site). i'd be very happy with just one as long as its good :pir_laugh2: . they seem to be in a pattern of one set per film such as ghost busters Dr who and back to the future. my guess is it will be either the black pearl, captain Salazar's ghost ship or the Flying Dutchman which got candled on the first release of the original films, or I may go to Davy Jones locker for saying all of this :pir-oh:

This is only my thoughts, Dont kill me!

Im hoping it will be as "conventional" a ship as possible, meaning not a ghost ship or a seamonster ship like the FD under Davy Jones. This so it fits in easily with LEGOs own non-supernatural Pirate theme. So, either the BP or Wills FD, But really, Im looking forward to anything.

@LOTR34,

I just don't know if Johnny Depp wants to make any more of these films. That's why I would rather see them continue and go in a new direction, rather than end because Depp doesn't want to do it.

Which it's a shame, because he really is great in that role.

If it really is only one ship and not a whole new theme I suspect the UCS will be the Black Pearl, which is the iconic ship for the whole franchise. It wouldn't make much sense to make a UCS version of a new ship if the movie turns out to be a Lone Ranger-like flop.

The original BP was a non-UCS ship only out for a short period and that was five years ago. I'm sure a UCS version would have a market.

I didn't get any of the original POTC sets, partly because I just didn't enjoy the fourth film, partly because I knew it would be a short lived theme. Possibly regretting that now.

Based on the Ghostbusters pattern, I think we'll see a UCS ship and maybe a smaller more affordable set? Like, maybe the ship will be the Black Pearl of the entire franchise, and the smaller set will be based on the fifth film.

I probably won't get this set if it's the Flying Dutchman... it's too gimmicky, like Metalbeard's ship. I could imagine myself getting the set if it's the Black Pearl, and will definitely get it if it's a generic ship that will fit in with my yellow pirates. The BP probably won't fit with my other Pirate ships, but if it really is larger than the IF, and if it's good enough, I'll probably want to own it for itself.

It's good to see that they're continuing to release at least one sailing ship of some sort every year, eventually we'll get back to a good classic pirate ship.

@LOTR34,

I just don't know if Johnny Depp wants to make any more of these films. That's why I would rather see them continue and go in a new direction, rather than end because Depp doesn't want to do it.

Which it's a shame, because he really is great in that role.

I get what you're saying and it would be a pity if Johnny doesn't come back.I would glady see the franchise move on without him as long as it still has interesting characters to replace him.

But I still believe that the 6th film will be the last.

Maybe the new ship will be a UCS Black Pearl, it does make sense. It still does seem a little strange to me though. Has Lego done this with Star Wars before? Release two of the same sets, a collectors version and a "regular" version, even if it's not during the same wave? In just trying to understand if Lego has a history of this or not.

Of course, there are many "normal" TIE fighters and then the UCS tie fighter, many normal X-wings and then the UCS x-wing, many millennium falcons but only one UCS millennium falcon... But Star Wars in general rehashes the same vehicles over and over again.

This is an interesting rumor, I'd like a ship that is not too over the top with supernatural elements, and not so monochromatic as the black pearl.

There's also various different Hogwartses. I don't think there's a UCS Hogwarts but definitely there have been versions at different scales.

I feel like the Black Pearl makes sense. It'll have been in five POTC films and its one of the most iconic vehicles Lego have the license for. I doubt they'd make a UCS ship set for something in the fifth film, we saw the classic Ghostbusters fire department headquarters in UCS form, not the Chinese shop from the latest version. It'll be something we've seen before.

I'm not so keen on such a monochromatic ship either, though. It would have to have sails that more closely imitate the sails from the film, because the plain black sails of the previous BP set make it look like a Megablocks set to me.