buddy

Lego Spongebob Squarepants 2011 Discussion Thread

Some interesting parts there (like the brown and blue ice-cream scoops, the red ray gun, the torso on the Glove World guy and the Crabby Patty formula printed tile).

I'm sorry to say that at this point I feel these sets are a total afterthought to the figures.

I may have held out a long time saying that the superhero-boat-car wasn't so bad, but I can't deny what a piece of junk it is any long. That vehicle hurts my eyes. There are no seats built into the craft; it seems the figures will literally just sit on top of it, at the same height as the windshield. The huge <insert that tiresome argument> piece on there doesn't bother me in and of itself, but it makes the entire things extremely stupid.

And Glove World basically consists of a bad turnstile and a thing that spins around in a circle. Not much playability there even.

I thought the last wave was stupid because it was basically reissues of older sets with a few different things, but this is much worse.

I was REALLY hoping SB was out the window for good. I don't even see a reason for these 2 sets. Seems like they needed something to keep the little 2 year olds happy? :hmpf_bad:

But I must admit that I enjoy taking Palapatines head and putting it on Patrick's body and legs. It looks sick lol :laugh: Other than that, its just a quirk to keep the "wee ones" :thumbdown: Although Patricks super-hero suit looks cool...

Edited by airsoftg36c

Awe man, I was hoping for better. I'm sad they replaced the Krabby Patties with clear hats, and the Glove World just looks boring. On a tight budget, I don't think I have space for these. They might not sell well and end up in Clearance, so that's a plus I guess...

Awe man, I was hoping for better. I'm sad they replaced the Krabby Patties with clear hats, and the Glove World just looks boring. On a tight budget, I don't think I have space for these. They might not sell well and end up in Clearance, so that's a plus I guess...

The glove world set is a prime candidate to go on clearance (for those countries where spongebob isn't an exclusive to one store), it just looks so barren. Although I'm sure if you're looking for value for money in a set the heroes set isn't the one for you, but I think it's really cute and will probably get it as it has that camp 1960s Batman feel about it, a show that I grew up watching in the 70s and 80s.

Just remember everyone that this theme is aimed at seven year olds, and not AFOL's ! :laugh:

But still modification to either set is possible or even addition......a giant pineapple spongecave for the two heroes (ha) can drive off from ! :laugh:

Keep on tossing those Krabby Patties ! :laugh:

I gotta agree with Clone O'Patra, that car looks like cutting-edge Lego design from 1987. The only pro for me is that it comes with Plankton but that's not enough by a long way. Glove World is slightly more attractive but still very basic and empty, with not enough elements to get excited about.

Remember the heroes car is being driven by Squarepants himself and he has Yoda legs so must stand to drive it ! :wink:

Could be worse.....Patrick could be driving it ! :laugh:

Like I said these two sets are for 7 years olds, not AFOL's....though it's AFOL's that take these more simple designs and take them to new levels ! :grin:

Keep tossing those Krabby Patties ! :laugh:

LT, I just asked my little cousins about these, and they didn't like them that much either. They liked Alien Conquest and Ninjago though!

Amazon UK have the two new Spongebob Squarepants sets for pre-order, with an expected shipping date of 1st August 2011, these are the prices :classic: :

3815 Heroic Heroes £13.99

3816 Glove World £18.99

~buddy~

I've updated the first post of this thread with more information and pictures of the two sets. :classic:

~buddy~

Pretty sure I saw these today on a shelf in Mueller, Konstance Germany. Not my cup of tea; but seems to be available.

I love that Patrick fig with chocolate all over him. Its so him :sweet:

They both are Target exculsives here in Australia but I have not seen them on the shelf. Last year I fond it hard to get any of the Spongebob sets and the year befor they all went before I could get my hands on them at the half yarly sales and they never returned to the shelfs. If I see these I will buy them stright away befor they are gone forever.

Edited by wokajablocka

It seems as though these were only being marketed as a way to get Sandy and Plankton minifigs at a lower price point. I think the let set Sandy came in was around 40 usd.

At my near buy tru there is a shelf ware all of the old spongebob sets are. It's off to the side from the other lego. And the weird thing is they put the new sets over there, it's really hard to notice. :grin:

According to this store, there's going to be two new SpongeBob sets next year: (http://www.spielwaren-lippe.de/Baby-und-Kleinkindspielwaren/LEGO-SPONGEBOB-Der-Fliegende-Hollaender.html)

- Der fliegende Holländer (The Flying Dutchman): 27,71 €

- Unterwasser-Party in Bikini Bottom (Undersea party in BB): 55,75 €

P.S: I remember that someone mentioned that there was a green version of Blackbeard's/Davy Jones' hat among the parts which were leaked from a Chinese factory this summer. Now we know what it is going to be used for :grin:

Edited by Lego-Freak

According to this store, there's going to be two new SpongeBob sets next year: (http://www.spielwaren-lippe.de/Baby-und-Kleinkindspielwaren/LEGO-SPONGEBOB-Der-Fliegende-Hollaender.html)

- Der fliegende Holländer (The Flying Dutchman): 27,71 €

- Unterwasser-Party in Bikini Bottom (Undersea party in BB): 55,75 €

P.S: I remember that someone mentioned that there was a green version of Blackbeard's/Davy Jones' hat among the parts which were leaked from a Chinese factory this summer. Now we know what this is going to be used for :grin:

As for the Flying Dutchman, all I can say is about time! Although I guess Spongebob's Flying Dutchman rules out any possibility of PotC's Flying Dutchman... :sad: Guess that was just wishful thinking on my part, though.

The Spongebob theme hasn't really excited me since its first year (the original Krusty Krab set was a work of art), even though subsequent sets like Sandy's Rocket, the Bikini Bottom Hospital, and "Good Neighbors in Bikini Bottom" have all been pretty excellent. Still, I'm glad to see that kids have enjoyed it enough for it to keep going, since the franchise has a lot of design potential.

My twin brother observed that the genie tail from Minifigures Series 6 could be ideal for ol' Dutchy. Pity there doesn't exist a "dining sock" piece!

Although I guess Spongebob's Flying Dutchman rules out any possibility of PotC's Flying Dutchman... :sad: Guess that was just wishful thinking on my part, though.

I agree with you, TLG wouldn't release two sets with the exact same name... And if they had a PotC FD set in mind for a future release, they would have chosen a different set name for the SpongeBob one. After all, the FD is a character in the latter case so that allows for a larger diversity of set names than a set containing a specific ship :wink:

It's pretty awesome that we're getting a Flying Dutchman, but at only 28 Euros which means about 30 dollars, I can't see it turning out to be all that impressive. The trademark of the Spongebob theme seems to be ideas that sound really cool but are then turned into fairly average sets, often with a few large pieces. I'm not trying to be a total party-pooper here, but there's no way that 30 dollars can translate into a large, amazing ship. It still could be well done and look very neat, and I'm sure the minifigures will be awesome no matter what.

I also can't imagine what the Party set will be like. At about 60 dollars (I'm guessing) that will be the largest Spongebob set ever. If it does come with the Pineapple again, I hope it's more fully formed than the two similar facade ones we've gotten before. I would suspect that it will also come with one or two new figures, but I can't really think of who. It would be great to get a new Mr. Krabbs and his daughter, but that's just a wild dream.

It's pretty awesome that we're getting a Flying Dutchman, but at only 28 Euros which means about 30 dollars, I can't see it turning out to be all that impressive. The trademark of the Spongebob theme seems to be ideas that sound really cool but are then turned into fairly average sets, often with a few large pieces. I'm not trying to be a total party-pooper here, but there's no way that 30 dollars can translate into a large, amazing ship. It still could be well done and look very neat, and I'm sure the minifigures will be awesome no matter what.

I also can't imagine what the Party set will be like. At about 60 dollars (I'm guessing) that will be the largest Spongebob set ever. If it does come with the Pineapple again, I hope it's more fully formed than the two similar facade ones we've gotten before. I would suspect that it will also come with one or two new figures, but I can't really think of who. It would be great to get a new Mr. Krabbs and his daughter, but that's just a wild dream.

Yeah, you're probably right about the FD. There's no doubt in my mind that it will be a jumiorized, cartoony, and underscaled set. :sadnew: Still, I'm hoping for a few GITD pieces.

As for new figs in the Part set, a new Krabbs along with Pearl would indeed be nice to see, especially if they use the crab claws from the Atlantis sets. I'd also love to see Larry the Lobster. :classic: Either way, I probably wont get the set though.

P.S: I remember that someone mentioned that there was a green version of Blackbeard's/Davy Jones' hat among the parts which were leaked from a Chinese factory this summer. Now we know what it is going to be used for :grin:

I spoke to the Australian rep the other day and he told me there are no Chinese element factorys. The only things made in China for TLG is boxes and thats it from what I was told. Bullind and Mexico are the only element manufacturing facilities adn they ship their elements for other countirs for packaging. So for a leaked element form China is very possably fake.

The flying Duchman sounds like a good set though.