MSM_546

8110 - Unimog U400 General Discussion

Just add an air tank,also I'm using lithium batteries which are very light so no weight issue :)

Not everyone has airtanks just lying around, in fact I have 5 flaggship sett and 7 fairly large set, but no air tanks. That is why i wished that Lego had included some with the Unimog.

No one rember the 8868 Air Tech clawrig? It also takes "forever" to raise a heavy load. And its compressor is even smaller than the unimog's. Most stupid thing with the 8868 I think is the white fake fuel tanks on the sides. Would been so much better with air tanks that was usable (surely someone had modded this but I'm talking about original).

Speaking of 8868. When the unimog rumors started people where talking about "the new 8868" (electrical and pneumatic functions, claw arm, etc.). Has anyone posted some picture of the 8868 and 8110 side by side?

Not everyone has airtanks just lying around, in fact I have 5 flaggship sett and 7 fairly large set, but no air tanks. That is why i wished that Lego had included some with the Unimog.

No and I had no tank ether so I just bought one lol

I really don't think an airtank would be that usefull because when it goes empty, it will just take alot longer for anything to move while the air tanks fill up again. Besides it's more realistic without one.

Adding a air tank is really only good if you want a high powered burst of air,or you have a power full compressor to fill it up quickly.:sweet:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

How does the pneumatic operation of this set compare with that of 8868? Does it behave pretty much the same, or is it different?

An airtank isn't all that useful for the (fairly weak) compressors in this set and in 8868. It would just take longer to build up pressure. You want to open the valves first and then run the compressor as needed, instead of first pumping air into the system and then releasing valves (as you would with an airtank). This makes movements smoother and more precise.

I had only one single problem with the Unimog. Its claw doesn't reach the ground! So picking up things lying on the floor was impossible. Therefore one can move the pneumatic cylinder one hole down on the red 9L beam. Now it touches the ground and picking up huge lego trees or pipes makes so much more fun. Yes, I play with my Unimog... :laugh:

How does the pneumatic operation of this set compare with that of 8868? Does it behave pretty much the same, or is it different?

I don't own this set yet (christmas can't come soon enough!) but I think the concensus here is that the unimog works better than the 8868. The reason is that the 8868 only uses one stud length of the pumps stroke, whereas the Unimog uses 2 stud length. The new pump makes using 2 studs of stroke alot easier and more intuative which was my reason for suggesting it in the first place :wink:

They are probably changing them for multiple reasons starting with the fact that they really are not ever going to be used... One of the biggest flaws with attaching anything with teeth to the teeth is that you lose a small portion of a stud width. Like if you were to use an old 1/2 stud with teeth(or even another 16 tooth clutch gear) and place the teeth against each other to lock in place, then you are losing 1/4 of a stud thus making it hard for these things to stay together and leads to wobble due to extra space on the axle...

Another problem that I had was when using normal 1/2 bushings against the teeth, one side of the 1/2 bushing is smooth and the other has a slight burr on it(Most likely from the mold) when the side with the burr is against the teeth of the gear, it causes friction against the teeth, thus leading to some binding that should not be...

It's probably also easier/cheaper to manufacture without the teeth if they're never going to be used. Lot's of little teeth like that can lead to more failed units coming out the molds, if plastic doesn't flow into one of the little gaps for example.

I have both sets and although 8868 hasn't been built for a bit I remember how it operated and I'd say I preferred its operation to 8110s pneumatics, the Unimog's pneumatic operation is a bit too all of a sudden and nowhere near as controllable as I'd like, and the switches on the side are a bit too confusing (its been built 24 hours and I still cant remember what goes where to get it to work) I think a simple old pneumatic hand pump would improve that easily.

The linear actuator operation of 8043 has spoiled me I think, very controllable and really puts pneumatics in the shade.

I think a simple old pneumatic hand pump would improve that easily.

Now look at this. We have had people begging for a decent set with a compressor for years. Now Lego's finally got us one and then we suggest a hand pump is actually more convenient.

The hilarity :laugh:

I love the pneumatic operation of this 8110. I have played with it a little and I found it no real problem picking up objects.

Bty the way I do agree that the controls are a bit confusing. However I found the same on 8258, and I consider that a good thing. When you can't remember how to control the functions, it's a sign there are enough of them in the set :sweet:

A minor disadvantage on the controls by the way is that the axles from the levers leading to the driving ring selectors are very long so the controls are a bit wobbly and are somewhat difficult to dis-engage (put in neutral position). By the way I like how all controls are on one side... until one mounts the crane at the front :grin:

I agree,people are years asking for the return of pneumatics and now there complaining lol, this ia a great set and yet people have to mess around with it and give out about faults that I don't even see,it's hard to please anyone these days,Lego did a great job so it's a big bow from me ;)

Now look at this. We have had people begging for a decent set with a compressor for years. Now Lego's finally got us one and then we suggest a hand pump is actually more convenient.

The hilarity :laugh:

I love the pneumatic operation of this 8110. I have played with it a little and I found it no real problem picking up objects.

Bty the way I do agree that the controls are a bit confusing. However I found the same on 8258, and I consider that a good thing. When you can't remember how to control the functions, it's a sign there are enough of them in the set :sweet:

A minor disadvantage on the controls by the way is that the axles from the levers leading to the driving ring selectors are very long so the controls are a bit wobbly and are somewhat difficult to dis-engage (put in neutral position). By the way I like how all controls are on one side... until one mounts the crane at the front :grin:

8868 also had a compressor, its system worked better than the 8110 set too, nowhere near as snappy as the unimog, convenience doesn't come into it, it would just make the pneumatics more controllable.

I agree,people are years asking for the return of pneumatics and now there complaining lol, this ia a great set and yet people have to mess around with it and give out about faults that I don't even see,it's hard to please anyone these days,Lego did a great job so it's a big bow from me ;)

Thank much for input

Pneumatics are very controllable, you just need to employ a tiny bit of skill using the controls which I actually prefere because it's more fun that just flicking a switch and then waiting forever for something to move really slowly with barely any power and it mimics the way you have to be skillful in real life, but lets not turn this into ANOTHER pnaumatics VS la debate, we've done that (pneumatics won BTW :devil: )

6033596034_3e87a11f01_z.jpg

Finished, it's superb, no issues but I modded the steering pins anyway, wider tyres didn't help though :sweet:

Fix that photo please!

@ JunkstyleGio/ hanstolhuisen: I like how the Technic figure :classic: demonstrates all of your modifications, including the (realistic) black wheels:

6034563097_3103d3e088_z.jpg

Hi.

Should I buy it? I'm thinking of buying it, is £159.99 a good value?

How big is it?

Dan. :grin:

Personally I would say it's good value. For 160 quid you get over 2000 technic parts, motor, batterybox, pneumatics and lots of new and useful parts and it's pretty huge!

Edited by allanp

Just got my set yesterday and am in the process of sorting all the parts for the build later today. The set is heavier than I expected :tongue:

I think I'll get another set when there's a sale going on, or double VIP points... It's well worth it for all the unique parts that will probably be used only once.

Edited by flyz

Hi.

Should I buy it? I'm thinking of buying it, is £159.99 a good value?

How big is it?

Dan. :grin:

It is the biggest set sofar :sweet: (at least has the most parts).

In Holland it currently goes for somewhere between 145 and 155 euro 's at most cheap shops.. (125-135 GBP)

Might want to check oversea 's.. Maybe you know someone who 's goes to Europe in a short while?