Henchmen4Hire

LEGO parts made of Chinese plastic?

Hi,

Polybags for example

Hobbit Lake-town Guard Polybag , Set 30216 are made in China like CMF series ??

The Lake-Town Guard polybag has China listed on the back of the packaging as one of the areas the components come from. I would assume the helmet is the only piece though as it's a pretty unique shape. The legs have the LEGO copyright on the bottom of the feet and the neck has the black bar on it, neither of these things are on Chinese made minifigs.

The clone trooper for hire is also definitely Chinese made. Complete with the off colour blue for the 501st...

The Lake-Town Guard polybag has China listed on the back of the packaging as one of the areas the components come from. I would assume the helmet is the only piece though as it's a pretty unique shape. The legs have the LEGO copyright on the bottom of the feet and the neck has the black bar on it, neither of these things are on Chinese made minifigs.

You'd be correct. Unfortunately I don't own one to check myself but from your description that fits as a made in Denmark fig.

Hi everyone!

I know there is many discussions about China parts, but I didn't find this.

Yesterday I went to supermarket's Lego foams and checked out... All licenced themes was ruined with chinese parts. Gratefully many City and Creator sets were 'clean' but there is no theme where all sets are clean. Because I don't want to run all supermarkets finding sets where is China and where is not, I thinked to find information from internet.

I'm many times tried find from internet "Made in" of new Lego sets. It's very hard to find any. Do you know some links? Reason why I'm interested is because I don't want any chinese parts to my collection! I hate that almost all toys and other things are made in China and IMO Lego is toy which never should product at China. If that means some parts become more expensive, so be it. Say no to chinese plastic and crap!

(sorry about my english) :blush:

Hi everyone!

I know there is many discussions about China parts, but I didn't find this.

Yesterday I went to supermarket's Lego foams and checked out... All licenced themes was ruined with chinese parts. Gratefully many City and Creator sets were 'clean' but there is no theme where all sets are clean. Because I don't want to run all supermarkets finding sets where is China and where is not, I thinked to find information from internet.

I'm many times tried find from internet "Made in" of new Lego sets. It's very hard to find any. Do you know some links? Reason why I'm interested is because I don't want any chinese parts to my collection! I hate that almost all toys and other things are made in China and IMO Lego is toy which never should product at China. If that means some parts become more expensive, so be it. Say no to chinese plastic and crap!

(sorry about my english) :blush:

I'm in the same mindset as you, I wouldn't mind paying more if it meant all those pieces weren't coming out of China, but realised I was missing out on so many awesome sets, that I have come to accept it, even though I still dont like it. However, If LEGO starts producing sets that are made entirely in China, I'm going to give up the hobby completely, because there will be nothing to set them apart from the rest of the toy manufacturers. I also like it when reviewers take photos of the box where it states where the parts are made, I just wish they would do it more frequently.

The only theme that I can think of, that does not use Chinese parts is the Hero Factory line, except for a few sets that use rubber bands, and the jet turbine piece from the City planes, the sets are the Dropship from wave 1 and Speeda Demon from 2012. As a general rule of thumb, any set that contains highly detailed/specialty moulded mini fig parts (Chima lion heads, Thranduil's headpiece, Batgirls headpiece), big figs (Hulk, Rancor, Wampa, Cave Troll) rubber bands, fabric capes, Friends figures, Power Functions parts, anything that was introduced in the Collectable Minifigures line (3L bars, new nurse mini fig hairpiece, most of the new accessories), and any part that comes individually bagged, you can pretty much expect that the set will list China as a product of origin.

Edited by Brickus

However, If LEGO starts producing sets that are made entirely in China, I'm going to give up the hobby completely, because there will be nothing to set them apart from the rest of the toy manufacturers.

This is the message I want to tell to TLG. If Lego bricks are expensive and from China (with crappy chinese quality), then there is no reason to buy them. Why not buy MegaBloks then? You get same crap but much cheaper. Ambassadors, please?

and any part that comes individually bagged, you can pretty much expect that the set will list China as a product of origin.

You mean all chinese pieces come in their own polybag? Then it's actually really easy avoid them. When buying new set: open box, throw chinese polybag out from window and enjoy others?

Still...if I buy set, then my money will go to TLG and they suppose we don't care about chinese parts. This is one reason why I boycott sets with chinese parts and only buy 'clean' sets. Money talks.

This is the message I want to tell to TLG. If Lego bricks are expensive and from China (with crappy chinese quality), then there is no reason to buy them. Why not buy MegaBloks then? You get same crap but much cheaper. Ambassadors, please?

You mean all chinese pieces come in their own polybag? Then it's actually really easy avoid them. When buying new set: open box, throw chinese polybag out from window and enjoy others?

Still...if I buy set, then my money will go to TLG and they suppose we don't care about chinese parts. This is one reason why I boycott sets with chinese parts and only buy 'clean' sets. Money talks.

Almost all the ones I've observed come separately bagged, yeah. Since they're able to do things that way, though, it's becoming pretty hard to find "clean" sets that don't have any Chinese parts.

So far, most of the recent sets I've bought from the City line have been 'clean sets'. I managed to get my mini-figure parts replaced with freshly minted 'Denmarkian' parts. I did not mind trading them one for one. :laugh:

Any clue when TLG started manufacturing in China? Before that, I suppose all sets were 'clean'. I want some sets from my Dark Age (2000-2010) but I must know 'safe' years before I spend my money to Bricklink. Very hard to find information... :(

Any clue when TLG started manufacturing in China? Before that, I suppose all sets were 'clean'. I want some sets from my Dark Age (2000-2010) but I must know 'safe' years before I spend my money to Bricklink. Very hard to find information... :(

It's hard to find a list of sets made in China because almost all sets nowadays have SOMETHING produced there. China seems to be where Lego has more of the complex printing and molds done. Even if it's just one piece in an entire set they still list China as one of the countries of origin.

I understand not wanting Lego to lower their quality or standards, but do you honestly think boycotting sets with Chinese parts is going to do anything? I doubt Lego has data showing them "clean" set sales vs those with Chinese parts. If you are still buying Lego they probably have no idea you are boycotting anything.

I don't know about others but I wouldn't boycott sets with made in china listed on the box. I am however much more knowledgable now and will be scrutinizing of things I purchase in the future. Definitely in the case of make your own mini figure stands in the lego store.

I understand not wanting Lego to lower their quality or standards, but do you honestly think boycotting sets with Chinese parts is going to do anything? I doubt Lego has data showing them "clean" set sales vs those with Chinese parts. If you are still buying Lego they probably have no idea you are boycotting anything.

What you say is true. Like most things on eurobricks forums I would hope TLG read some of these threads to know what consumers like us think about the products we purchase either for ourselves or children. There is an inherent assurance of quality when we bought their products. It will be interesting to see how things play out once they have their factory up and running by 2017. Perhaps these issues will disappear or get far worse. I already get disgusted by seeing cheap knock offs on eBay.

If LEGO is going full china in 2017 LEGO has definitively gotten the last of my money.

They're not, and nothing we've seen suggests that. They are absolutely not closing all of their other worldwide factories. What they ARE doing is building their own factory there, to better provide for Asian markets, and to have a factory in China that they themselves own and operate. If anything that should mean better quality than the current Chinese production facilities, not worse.

Mostly because for selling in China, you have to produce in China.

And China's own market is a huge opportunity for Lego.

I have cut open many plastic bags in sets and don't feel that those parts represent the end of the world for LEGO. The Friends' figs all come in bags and are just lovely!

My concerns about LEGO part quality extend to plants in all countries, and having opened over 100 sets in the past year (not including minifig only sets), the China made parts don't scream low quality to me. There could be some lines I don't buy that may have lower quality, but Chinese made LEGO parts have not yet caused me to lose any sleep.

And anger is just a waste of ones limited time and energy. Maybe we should consider using the term "dislike" more often than the word, hate. TLG has to make business decisions that we may not agree with or understand. This should not ruin our lives or fill us with hatred.

I have cut open many plastic bags in sets and don't feel that those parts represent the end of the world for LEGO. The Friends' figs all come in bags and are just lovely!

My concerns about LEGO part quality extend to plants in all countries, and having opened over 100 sets in the past year (not including minifig only sets), the China made parts don't scream low quality to me. There could be some lines I don't buy that may have lower quality, but Chinese made LEGO parts have not yet caused me to lose any sleep.

And anger is just a waste of ones limited time and energy. Maybe we should consider using the term "dislike" more often than the word, hate. TLG has to make business decisions that we may not agree with or understand. This should not ruin our lives or fill us with hatred.

I don't think anyone actually hates Lego for making a business decision. I think we're all just hobbyists and fans that are concerned over the direction the company seems to be going in. It's been noted in several industries, not just toys, that when you take production into a low wage country, quality does tend to go down. It may not happen right away, but I think we have enough evidence to be skeptical over the quality control that occurs at these low wage facilities. On top of that, there are the ethical issues, borderline slave labor, possibilities of poisonous chemicals getting into the toys, etc. These are very real concerns. We're used to Lego being an expensive toy, we know that it costs more because it is a quality product. I think most people would pay more knowing that their new Lego set is guaranteed safe, and produced ethically.

I don't think anyone actually hates Lego for making a business decision. I think we're all just hobbyists and fans that are concerned over the direction the company seems to be going in. It's been noted in several industries, not just toys, that when you take production into a low wage country, quality does tend to go down. It may not happen right away, but I think we have enough evidence to be skeptical over the quality control that occurs at these low wage facilities. On top of that, there are the ethical issues, borderline slave labor, possibilities of poisonous chemicals getting into the toys, etc. These are very real concerns. We're used to Lego being an expensive toy, we know that it costs more because it is a quality product. I think most people would pay more knowing that their new Lego set is guaranteed safe, and produced ethically.

This is true in some cases, but keep in mind that the LEGO Group has been producing parts in other countries for decades, and has put forth a valiant effort to keep quality, human rights considerations, and the like reasonably consistent from country to country. I see no reason why a factory owned by the LEGO Group in China would be held to less stringent standards unless the people of China were not capable of meeting those standards, and I can't fathom any reason why that would be the case.

A lot of companies use overseas production as an excuse to escape the regulations they would be held to in their home countries. But LEGO has been produced in countries other than Denmark for a long time, and many of the most strict standards the LEGO Group has to meet during production have been self-imposed. Frankly, considering that they're opening a plant in a country that has a reputation for production and ethics problems, I fully expect them to maintain even closer oversight than they do at their established plants, at least until they are sure that the importance of the LEGO brand standards are fully understood by all the people working there.

If TLG build factory in Asia to serve Asian markets better, why they do it in China? There is lots of better countries where human rights and ethic things are already fine, like Japan, Taiwan, South Korea. Australia is near enough too. Should work well. So why China? I don't buy TLG propaganda when they say it's not money question. If it's not money question, why China over better quality countries?

It's hard to find a list of sets made in China because almost all sets nowadays have SOMETHING produced there. China seems to be where Lego has more of the complex printing and molds done. Even if it's just one piece in an entire set they still list China as one of the countries of origin.

Yes, and this is no good direction.

If I alone boycott, you are right. But if all AFOLs and lots of parents boycott, it REALLY can see at sales. And yes, they really see which sets are success and which not. That's why TLG bring new police sets almost every year but not Arctic. Besides that, continuous information "we don't want buy these chinese crap sets, please don't do it anymore" will be seriously taken if chinese-part-sets sales go down. If I would be sales manager, I would think "Why the hell Creator sets sold trillions and superbubbaZuma only few?" But they not listen before money talks first.

*sigh* Here we go again... Lego bricks are my dearest toys. I LOVE them. Almost every other toys these days are manufacturing already in China. Some of them are better quality, some lower. This is not question about hating irrationally. I want there is at least ONE toy company who thinks differently and brings quality and human rights over few pennies. Why Mexico factory is not in USA or Canada? Why China factory is not in Japan or S.Korea? People will buy Lego sets anyway, so why not product them in better countries and collect points home like "LEGO -only big toymaker with western standards"?

Yes I feel hate, but not irrationally. I feel hate because I care. I care my dear toys and their future. I hate low quality. I hate manufacturing in dictatorship only because few money. I hate TLG lying me. Some of us have principles. If you don't want understand why I'm hating they make my most important toys in China, it's your problem.

Edited by Lumbertrain

If TLG build factory in Asia to serve Asian markets better, why they do it in China?

Because it is difficult and expensive to import into China.

If they want to sell in China it is much easier to have a factory there.

Edited by antp

Part 6010687

It maybe subjective to talk about the connection... But look at this picture. The bubbles in the part from movie set 70803.

The perfect one was from the old star war ewok set 7139

post-13051-0-40978600-1392532089_thumb.jpg

So were the Simpsons parts, especially the heads, produced in China? I thought the quality of the heads was very good!

It maybe subjective to talk about the connection... But look at this picture. The bubbles in the part from movie set 70803.

The perfect one was from the old star war ewok set 7139

There have been bubbles in that type of part forever. I have numerous lightsabers with bubbles from 1999. It's not a China thing.

Good to see that so many AFOLs are waking up to this. Quality can be controlled. But what about the cost factor? Whatever the reasons and explanations for TLG's move, it is definitely cheaper to produce in China. Unless TLG in China, pays 3 times the salary that the average Chinese worker earns in a similar job.The question is will TLG pass on that benefit to the consumer?

Good to see that so many AFOLs are waking up to this. Quality can be controlled. But what about the cost factor? Whatever the reasons and explanations for TLG's move, it is definitely cheaper to produce in China. Unless TLG in China, pays 3 times the salary that the average Chinese worker earns in a similar job.The question is will TLG pass on that benefit to the consumer?

I wouldn't be surprised if Lego already IS passing at least some of the benefit on to the consumer. Keep in mind that the price of oil has been increasing in recent years, and consequently the same has been happening with the cost of plastic. The costs saved on production probably go more towards keeping the prices for the end consumer relatively stable than toward actively lowering prices for customers or toward lining employees' or executives' pockets (neither of which would help to keep the company afloat in the long term). That won't work forever, though, so I hope Lego has success in their pursuit of a high-quality and sustainable replacement for ABS...

^Exactly. More than likely price will never go down, but it may not go up as quickly. Which that in and of itself can be considered a win for the consumer. Everything else inflates highly.